shape
carat
color
clarity

Confusing James Allen Gemologist Feedback

frados

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Hope all is well! I was hoping to get an opinion on an SI1 listed on the James Allen website. Based on my research and understanding, the SI1 in the link below would likely be considered 'eye clean'. Is there anything else I should be weary of/look out for with this diamond in terms of inclusions or anything else?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-cut-sku-15222415?uniqueID=ory62wn26_15572160

Mainly wanted to posted this and get some feedback as I've received contradictory comments from the JA gemologists regarding other diamonds and so being a bit cautious. For instance, one gemologists described one diamond as having 'good fire and brilliance' whereas another described the same diamond as 'not being at all sparkly due to its proportions'...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This stone has issues...its not a good choice. Low crown/low pavilion angles, black paddles (obstruction).
(red is pointing to paddles...should not see these in a well-cut stone) snip.png

Stones should look more like this...

snip.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is some chance that this stone is not eyeclean to your standards, depending on what your standards are. The inclusion under the table is clear but close to the surface of the table… It’s quite visible as the stone turns in the video. But those videos are hugely magnified. Whether you see it in-person depends on both your vision and your tolerance. I would not call this stone “eye clean” in blanket fashion, though.

You see how as the the stone turns in the video the arrow tips start to go black, like “paddles”, and a lot of black comes and goes under the table around the arrow shafts? We call this “obstruction. More about it here:

And a concrete example - your stone on the top vs. a random specimen from their H&A line on the bottom with a steeper crown/pavilion combo (with same table, but shallower lower halves):

45214977-BCDE-4FFF-909B-DCF8B8880554.jpeg

365E906F-8EBC-42ED-836B-B8F511C84A40.jpeg

The obstruction is being caused by the facets on the bottom of the stone reflecting what’s directly in front of them. Some stones have those bottom (pavilion) facets angled too steeply, so they don’t reflect enough of what’s in front of the stone, and you lose that pretty arrow pattern. Some stones have pavilion facets that reflect just the right amount of what’s in front of the stone, and you get a nice arrow pattern and a nice mix of black and white as the stone turns. Some stones have pavilion facets that reflect a bit (or a lot) too much of what’s in front of the stone… In those cases if what’s in front of the stone is, say, a blonde head, the stone will reflect lots of light colours, and if what’s in front of the stone is dark hair or shadow or a black camera then the stone will reflect a ton of those dark colours. Your choice here isn’t irredeemable but it’s definitely veering toward “overly shallow”, IMO.

Edit - tyty and I are saying the same thing, I type slowly ::)

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, frados!
Agree with tyty333 and yssie...there are much better options to choose from in the sub-$9000 realm.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with tyty333 and yssie...there are much better options to choose from in the sub-$9000 realm.

OP, I would 100% choose the Whiteflash stone over the original stone. It's incredibly clean and perfectly cut.

Julie C

Rough_Rock
Having just gone through the same thing with Blue Nile, I would 100000000% trust the experts here, instead of the gemologists at the company selling the diamond. I thought I had the perfect stone, but it was horrid. Thanks to the experts here, I was able to return the diamond and get a much better diamond with so much sparkle and fire.

TXwidow

Shiny_Rock
and WhiteFlash has an excellent trade-up policy should one ever want to 'improve' on the diamond (larger size, better color, better clarity) which applies to most of their stones..

frados

Rough_Rock
Many thanks for all your comments! Seems that you have helped me dodge a bullet :) Can't say I'm super confident in my ability to pick out a good diamond! Interesting that there are cut issues but it's considered an excellent cut based on the GIA certificate...

Thank you for these suggestions DejaWiz and others who have recommended the Whiteflash diamond. I'm based in Melbourne, Australia so would just need to figure out the logistics of getting a diamond over here from Whiteflash...I think its more common for people to use JA or BN but reading the WF website and some of the comments on this forum, they certainly do ship to Australia.

DejaWiz, interested in your opinion on the inclusions on the other JA diamonds you suggested? To my untrained eye they seem like that they stand out a bit, but that could just be the magnification?

I'd also found some other potential options listed directly below and interested in how they compare to the Whiteflash one? Some of these I've opted for VS2 clarity to try mitigate the risk of me purchasing a lemon. Interested in anyone's thoughts.

Just an FYI - The JA gemologist commented that 3152348 below would look cloudy and that the proportions and angles on 13956907 are not as good as the one I originally shared:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Many thanks for all your comments! Seems that you have helped me dodge a bullet :) Can't say I'm super confident in my ability to pick out a good diamond! Interesting that there are cut issues but it's considered an excellent cut based on the GIA certificate...

Thank you for these suggestions DejaWiz and others who have recommended the Whiteflash diamond. I'm based in Melbourne, Australia so would just need to figure out the logistics of getting a diamond over here from Whiteflash...I think its more common for people to use JA or BN but reading the WF website and some of the comments on this forum, they certainly do ship to Australia.

DejaWiz, interested in your opinion on the inclusions on the other JA diamonds you suggested? To my untrained eye they seem like that they stand out a bit, but that could just be the magnification?

I'd also found some other potential options listed directly below and interested in how they compare to the Whiteflash one? Some of these I've opted for VS2 clarity to try mitigate the risk of me purchasing a lemon. Interested in anyone's thoughts.

Just an FYI - The JA gemologist commented that 3152348 below would look cloudy and that the proportions and angles on 13956907 are not as good as the one I originally shared:

Hi, frados.
None of these are particularly well cut, unfortunately.
Since you're in Melbourne, have you checked out Holloway Diamonds? That's the store for PS's very own Garry H (Cut Nut)...the inventor of the Ideal-Scope and ASET scope. His research and findings over the decades about diamond proportions, angles, and performance are the basis for what constitutes an ideally cut diamond. I can think of no better source in your proximity! Might be something to consider.

frados

Rough_Rock
Thanks DejaWiz... I may stick to some of the WF diamonds then given my dismal ability to discern cut and contact Garry....who's location seems to be walking distance from me...

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DejaWiz, interested in your opinion on the inclusions

HI All!!!
You're in great hands here regarding cut....
Regarding the specific issue I quoted- clarity grading and eye cleanliness:
It's completely impossible to accurately predict if a diamond will be eye clean based on the plot off a lab report. I'll go a step further=- the rotating videos seen on most websites...they also SUCK at determining real world implications of diamonds, in a majority of cases I've examined personally.

Something to keep in mind if a sales associate, who is NOT holding the actual diamond is making claims about it's eye cleanliness.

PS- this is putting aside the huge aspect of personal differences in vision.
What might be eye clean for one person won't be for another viewer

frados

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Thanks to everyone's input I'm favouring WF alot more than I am JA.

They have a diamond that currently falls within the expert selection range mainly due to some elongated clefts in the heart patterning. Was interested in some opinions as to how this might impact light performance?

Otherwise, I'm considering one of these two but unsure about the crystals in the first one which look a little black?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

Thanks to everyone's input I'm favouring WF alot more than I am JA.

They have a diamond that currently falls within the expert selection range mainly due to some elongated clefts in the heart patterning. Was interested in some opinions as to how this might impact light performance?

Otherwise, I'm considering one of these two but unsure about the crystals in the first one which look a little black?

You can ask WF for side-by-side photos and videos to help you decide. You may find that one speaks to you more.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

frados

Rough_Rock
Did you see this one?
Would be $8024 wire price after $100 discount for signing up.

Hi Dejawiz yeah thanks! Just a little unsure about the H colour...which is more of psychological thing than anything as I'm sure me me or my partner wouldn't pick this up if it was in front of us...

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi Dejawiz yeah thanks! Just a little unsure about the H colour...which is more of psychological thing than anything as I'm sure me me or my partner wouldn't pick this up if it was in front of us...

Totally understandable!
You can contact WF and ask them to send you pictures and videos of it placed side by side with a G and F diamond.
This will help you determine what your color sensitivity and color tolerance are.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results