shape
carat
color
clarity

Confusing comment made by vendor

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I was on the phone with a vendor today and was asking about how the tiny h&a diamonds they use would look next to a J diamond. They said fine, and then they said if I held the ring next to another and it had a higher color stone that mine would look yellowish. Is this true? Does anyone have a picture or link to a J next to a G or higher (of actual stones no the grader pics). Since this process will likely be done entirely online I am quite nervous. I have seen some J''s on here that have me seriously considering a J. But I don’t want it too look bad next to other things, i.e. my tennis bracelet which is 8" long and has E-G colored stones and often falls next to my fingers. I don’t want to have my bracelet make my e-ring look less then lovely. Okay sorry if I sound as if I am wound too tight. This is just nerve wracking, I don’t believe in upgrades(for me) and I want it to be perfect forever. Help!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
what size stones are you talking about?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
One stone is 1.5 the other 1.6

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a picture liek that at the end of Mara''s *Js in platinum* thread... I''ve posted it yesterday.
16.gif

jewelgirl

Shiny_Rock
If I remember correctly, LynnB''s thread on show me the ring forum shows how her new J faces up next to her old G stone. I have been looking for the thread, but I saw the pics....and could tell NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL. The J looked white, white, white. Of course it is a GORGEOUS cut.

I pretty much based my current decision of going for a lower color grade and higher cut based on those pics alone--Thanx LynnB!

I will continue to look for it, matatora

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara's J is set next to g-h 2 and 3 point melee. 2 pointers in her wedding band and 3 pointers in her e-ring. She says she cannot see a difference between the higher color tiny stones and her big J.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I''ve said it before but I''ll happily say it again... I had a G and a J in my hands side by side for comparison. Face up and side-by-side, even my 20 year old daughter couldn''t see any difference. Pavilion up, on a white background, yes... the J had a warmth, a slight, slight CREAMINESS that the G didn''t have. But it certainly wasn''t YELLOW! I think that is just an easy slip-of-tongue to use the word "yellow" to describe a lower color grade... I have heard even the "professionals" do this. But I think that''s a grave disservice to those lovely stones! And Ana, please don''t be hurt or offended, or take this the wrong way... I understand why you posted it... but I think the photo that you are referring to isn''t really a "fair shake" for a J stone. That photo does look kinda scary if a person is considering a "J" stone but has never seen one in person. At least not an ideal cut J stone. If I had seen that photo before I had ordered my J stone, I actually might not have ordered it. And wow, would I have missed a killer, knock-your-socks-off, WHITE stone.

Matatora, if you choose a beautiful, well-cut J stone, I am POSITIVE that your tennis bracelet will not take anything AT ALL away from your ring! I am equally positive that NO ONE will "notice" any color difference in the bracelet or the ring. But I also think that you should try to see some ideal cut J stones in person. (But please don''t go by the diamonds in the mall stores.) Maybe you are color sensitive and putting the $$ into a higher color is something you should do to be forever happy with your diamond. Only you can know that. But for me, I couldn''t be happier with my gorgeous new J. I LOVE it!

Lynn

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
He he, I saw your five stone picture but you warned that there were some pics that it showed in and some that it didnt. This is painful...whoever came up with this whole diamond ring thing ought to be shot...any know how to go back in time and kill an Archduke from Austria?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
That and would a SI1 make a difference in how the color would show up? I could tell is those were the same clarity of stones.

jewelgirl

Shiny_Rock
Found it! Found it!

Hope LynnB doesn't mind me posting her pic...but I think it is an awesome EXAMPLE Of a beautiful J next to a Beautiful G...

This is the Pic that made me feel Ok abt going to a lower color on my new diamond (it is an egl H...which means its really an I)

Can U tell which one is which?

LynnB GvsJ.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Ya''ll are the best! This is why I love it here! And may I say Miss Lynn B that your new stone is fabulous...and might I inquire as to the setting of the other...it is quite nice too.
30.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I don't think pix can give you a good idea about color. That said, those are really nice stones in any event! Are they yours Lynn? :)

I have no problems with a J and I've seen so many beautiful Js out there...and remember 7/1's K. Was such pretty stone! A J is a great buy b/c it's not a yellow stone by any means...but it aint exactly ice.

To me, a G does not look like a J face up....and it's just my opinion... Why? B/c it's not a G. So does a G look like a D face up? Then what does a D look like face up? LOL....I'm kidding...but OK, I'm ready for my flogging now....

The bottom line is...some people can't see color. Some people tell themselves they can't see color. Some people really see color. It's just a matter of how a stone looks to you!!! If it helps to get the size and cut you want, go for it :) No casual observer could tell...if you hold two stone up and compare under some lights and day light..I would say, that's a big affirmative. But I know I'm in the minority here.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
That is the thing I have seen a well cut D (larger about 4.8 I think) next to two smaller also well cut Js. The D was clearly whiter...but I wonder if I would be able to tell the difference. I am going to have my ring custom made and so I really need to decide. And since the ring is like the marriage and a forever thing I have one shot at getting this right...I dont want to be unhappy with the color but then I dont want to look at my hand and wish I had gotten the bigger stone.

petersong

Rough_Rock
I am color-blinded and I can see diff between D and F when I get a chance to see very very closely. I think some times it just a feeling. and Believe it or not, I am not the guy seeing diamond every day. Of course, I can tell color diff between F and H. The diff that I see is not the color diff when using normal eyes, I believe. You have to see two best cut grade with F, D, and G, H. and make a decision? right? probably I copied a lot of ideas from our online experts? If so, sorry for this as a part of my experience ...

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Okay so would the differnce of neg flour vs no flour make a difference?
Petersong are you really color blind? Perhaps this would help you perception, 800 shades of gray being viable to you and what not...humm. More to think about.

jewelgirl

Shiny_Rock
I have heard that neg flour can''t be detected, you need med or strong to really see it with the naked eye...but I am no expert on that note!

Also, I think in many cases, you could see the diff between a G and a J if you put the diamonds right next to each other...even if you are not color sensitive or you are color blind. But what I always wondered is if you had a J on your finger, especially a big sparkly one, would you REALLY notice that is is not colorless? And if so, how much? I know even in stores when I have looked at the diff between HOF J and H/G''s while browsing, I could only tell the diff when putting them right next to each other, and even then, it was minimal.

It is not like people are saying there is no diff between the color grades, it is how much will you really be able to tell the difference when you choose one and it is on your hand?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
maybe if you put a J up side by side to a D or G you may see some differences in larger stones, not melee, but you would not see any difference in a well-cut J to something like a tennis bracelet or anything that has some distance to it. i don't know that i would do a 3 stone ring with seriously non matching stones, but i have no worries with melee... as mrs. s noted, my J stone is set next to G/H in my e-ring and then my w-ring stones are E/F from WF and no difference in any of them.

so i think size has to do with it, aka melee as opposed to bigger stones...but you won't see a difference with something like a bracelet at all...also chances are bracelet stones won't be as well-cut as your large stone either.

petersong

Rough_Rock
Oh. Yes. I forget to mention that I did compare H&A stones over 1.5 carat and I am really color-blinded. But the point is you have to see the stones..

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I found a great picture which I am shamelessy stealing from Mara. Her J upgrade can be found here and she posted a picture of a G next to a J. It is somewhat hard to judge since the background is black but I think it makes a good point for someone who might search again later. I have until around October to find the perfect stone. That is also when we will buy it. I am just thrilled that he
30.gif
is letting me be a part of things.
36.gif

gtojcomppic.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2005 12:50:39 AM
Author: Mara
maybe if you put a J up side by side to a D or G you may see some differences in larger stones, not melee, but you would not see any difference in a well-cut J to something like a tennis bracelet or anything that has some distance to it. i don''t know that i would do a 3 stone ring with seriously non matching stones, but i have no worries with melee... as mrs. s noted, my J stone is set next to G/H in my e-ring and then my w-ring stones are E/F from WF and no difference in any of them.

so i think size has to do with it, aka melee as opposed to bigger stones...but you won''t see a difference with something like a bracelet at all...also chances are bracelet stones won''t be as well-cut as your large stone either.
The three stone was a gift from his grandmother who was uh about to pass. Accepting it was not a choice...and it is something! (RHR now, got an even bigger e-ring)

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Matatora!

Wow...so exciting. I was REALLY worried about this color thing to. Originally I was looking at a 1.5 I colored diamond, then Cute330xinggirl told me about her I colored diamond, and she said that from the side she can see a tiny bit of warmth, and it was the only tiny, little niggle in her ring. She has a halo with F-G colored melee (I believe), but the warmth isn''t compared to the other stones, but when you view the stone from an angle (I don''t know if that makes sense) maybe she''ll chime in.

Most of the time she saw only sparkle. So she recommended to me an H color with flourescence to eliminate any chance of that happening. So I ended up buying a 1.27 carat H with medium flourescence, which is smaller but I''m REALLY pleased with the color. Upsidedown, sideways, in all different types of light, I don''t see any warmth or anything. I think it depends on the person. A jeweler places a D, H in a lineup for my sister (RB ideal cut) and she could always pick out the H. So I assume she''s color sensitive. Good luck with your choice!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mata... just wanted to point out that while that happens to be a great shot, the lighting in that picture does not do a very good job of showing color differences.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2005 9:31:58 AM
Author: petersong
... But the point is you have to see the stones..
Yes, very true. Being able to see the stones... "apples-to-apples" and side-by-side is always the best way to compare and decide. Unfortunately for some of us who live in Smallville, USA - this isn''t always an option. So when a consumer has to go to Plan B, that''s when the vendor''s return policies provide "insurance". Then if your eyes don''t love the stone, it can be returned.

Lynn

petersong

Rough_Rock
I bet if you see side-by-side these H&As one by one by your naked eyes, you will be confused also. Because they are all looks perfect. How can we make a decision? cut, clarity, color, money, discount, premium, personal like....

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s very hard to see color differences in stones for me, except from the sides. My J is definitely a bit ''warmer'' than my H was (which seemed icy white to me..the H that is)...but after a few days of kind of going..hmm hmm do I like this, now I am just used to it and I love it. And it''s only from the side angled view. And it''s not YELLOW, it''s just a tiny bit warmer than my H was. And I only know that because I used to own the H. I think if someone just got an I or a J and had nothing to compare it to originally, it would be easier on the mental state.

But then again color isn''t really a thing for me....I was almost going to be an Old Euro cut I originally and we thought it was stunning. For me warmth isn''t a BAD THING and I don''t think I''d want an icy white D anyway, it''d be too white. There are times when this J is too white for me, as funny as it sounds. It depends on the lighting.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Matadora,

If I were you, I would have the stone shipped to you for your examination before you have it set. That way you can really be sure. It will cost you the shipping, no doubt, but that''s not a lot considering the peace of mind it should bring.

My guess is you''ll be happy with a J, but why not make sure before you''ve committed forever...

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2005 1:42:05 PM
Author: lop
Matadora,

If I were you, I would have the stone shipped to you for your examination before you have it set. That way you can really be sure. It will cost you the shipping, no doubt, but that''s not a lot considering the peace of mind it should bring.

My guess is you''ll be happy with a J, but why not make sure before you''ve committed forever...
Yep, excellent advice. I second that!
1.gif

Lynn

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Third that! Even thought there are beautiful pictures and many happy people, you realy need to see for yourself to determine if you will be happy. It seems like I''m one of the minority here that doesn''t care that much for J color stones. However, I had to see it for myself to be sure. To be honest I wish I loved them, it would make things much less expensive.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had this same question on DT but left that thread because one of the vendors decided to slam me for saying I prefer to buy from a broker instead of a B&M.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results