shape
carat
color
clarity

Confused! Please advise on EC.

Sng666

Rough_Rock
I have paralysis by analysis! I've read so much that I don't know what to do. I live in a small town with few jewelers, little inventory and very expensive ones. So I need to buy online. I know I probably won't see color differences above h but since I am buying online, thinking of sticking on the safe side, no less than f. Please help advise on 2 I am looking at. Also open to ideas.
1. 1.17
Cut:Very Good
Color:FClarity:VS1
Lab Name:GIA
Depth:68.50
Table:61.00
Polish:Excellent
Symmetry:Very Good
Girdle:TK
Culet:None
Fluorescence:None
Ratio:1.25

_26547.jpg

_26549.jpg

Sng666

Rough_Rock
EC 2 is
1.16Cut:Excellent
Color:F
Clarity:VS2
Price($):4872.26
Lab Name:GIA
Depth:67.00
Table:61.00
Polish:Excellent
Symmetry:Very Good
Girdle:VTK
Culet:None
Fluorescence:None
Ratio:1.36
Measurements:7.00x5.15x3.45

_26550.jpg

_26551.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's your budget fir the stone?

Sng666

Rough_Rock
My budget is about $4800.

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That first one has a picture window in the middle of it. :o Run away fast from that one!

Sng666

Rough_Rock
The live chat person said that 1 has more face up and brilliance. I even had him check the gemologist report. Hmmm... What's does the window mean? Is it that bad?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1 is probably a disaster.

Sng666

Rough_Rock
So is 2 better?

retrogamer

Shiny_Rock
#1 will have a "see through" portion in the middle as it's a window big enough for a mac truck to drive through.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
#1 is a disaster and no #2 is not much better.

What do you want and what is your budget. We can help you with better choices.

Sng666

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for an emerald cut for the center of my ring. Setting is a halo with micropave diamonds done the side. My total budget for ring and diamond is about $6k. I found a setting for $1500, which only gives me $4600 for a center stone. Looking for the biggest ct I can afford at lowest f color and vs2 clarity. LW ratio at least 1.25, 1.3 to 1.4 better. of course most brilliant and fire. I want it all! Haha, on my small budget! I've been able to find at least 1.1ct, and this at 1.17.
I was just thinking, without this ASET technology that's now available to consumers, would anyone non-expert, me included, know any better? No one is going to stare at my ring but me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes! Not that I think you need to hear this again, but that first stone is probably the worst emerald cut diamond I have ever seen! Shame on the vendor for not telling you to eliminate it!

The better the cut the more beautiful the stone. I want the beauty for my diamond precisely because I will be the one looking at it the most!

I would absolutely include G color in your search.

Do you already have the setting or will it be made to fit the diamond? Because if it is a setting that takes a carat, you need to know the exact measurements it was made for. Does the setting have a cz in it now?

Sng666

Rough_Rock
Here's the setting I want.

I'm buying online so I can create my own ring. I confronted the customer service and they think they either mixed up the images or misread the report. They will get back to me tomorrow since today is Sunday and the gemologist is not there. Sigh... At least there is a 30days free returns.

_26572.jpg

Sng666

Rough_Rock
Gypsy, I'm intrigued. Please help.

Sng666

Rough_Rock
Here's a better pic of what I want.

_26573.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure Gypsy can help you find something. You have to start with a vendor who has pictures or videos of the stone. Then go from there and get ASET images. There's no way to choose an emerald cut from a list of grading reports. James Allen is one source and if you have no luck there, then Good Old Gold can call some in and evaluate them for you. They are excellent at finding well cut stones.

I love that setting!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
G is a color you should DEFINITELY not rule out. VS2 clarity (unless you get really lucky).

I'll look for you. 4600.

Okay.

Let me see what I can find.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sng666

Rough_Rock
Thanks, gypsy! I've been on JA and these are small and not very good value for money. I found some in the 1.1 ct range at B2C and Ritani. Any experience with them? To me, so far they have been great to work with.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think B2C can get you pictures and ASETs of the ECs. I don't think Ritani will provide ASETs, which makes it too risky when shopping for ECs. ASETs help you tell the difference between a well cut stone and a dud when you don't have the experience to tell the difference and not many choices to choose from at the same time. Many PS regulars have seen enough ECs to be able to know whether it is well cut or not without using an ASET but most regular consumers are unable to do so.

Sng666

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Chrono! I will ask if I see anything.

Gypsy, on JA, since they have 15% off, maybe I can get more on my $6k budget. I'll go look too!

Sng666

Rough_Rock
Argh. JA doesn't have a setting I like.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are looking for size only, then yes, JA costs more.

So if you want a big ugly poor performing diamond-- then stick to what you are doing.

Also, with emerald cuts and all fancies, you need to compare dimensions (spread) and not carat weight. A 1.1 diamond can easily face up smaller than a .97.

Value means you are getting quality for your money. Not just size. I am trying to get you quality.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You do not have to get the stone and the setting at the same place.

Sng666

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Gypsy. At least know I know what a good ASET and ideal scope image looks like.

I did take Chrono's advice and asked for ASET of 4 more diamonds on B2C. They say they will get them tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Sng666

Rough_Rock
Gypsy, what's a P3 angle?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
P3: https://www.pricescope.com/journal/performance-and-p3-facets-discussion-about-step-cut-diamonds

Still compared to the epic duds you've picked to date, that G .93 is a fantastic performer.

Do you know WHY those larger stones you keep pointing out are in your budget? Because they are duds. Badly cut diamonds are cheap. Because anyone with any knowledge wouldn't buy them if they were priced higher. So they are discounted due to being dead and fugly.

Your budget buys you a well cut .90-97 stone.

You need to have realistic expectations.

Sng666

Rough_Rock
ok. I hear ya, Gypsy.

Biases aside, what do you think of these 3 images? Educate me please.

6646591.jpg

6391442.jpg

6391421.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results