Do you think this color is red or pink?

• Red

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Pink

Votes: 38 97.4%

• Total voters

voce

Ideal_Rock
So, I'm aware different people may at different things depending on the screen color balance and brightness, offer individual health differences. At the end of last year, I bought the following stones to be set into the same ring: all Burmese spinels. One 7x6 oval, and ten 3x2 rounds.

At night, they look more red, but in sunlight, more pink. I think this is due to fluorescence, but I have real trouble deciding whether they should be called red or pink.

Yvonne, who sourced these stones, described the oval at least as a neon red. She said she does not call the spinel Jedi because to her, Jedi spinel needs more pink. I agree it's not Jedi, as it's not supersaturated with color like the one I had Inken set into a lavender sapphire halo flower design. But is it really red, if it looks pink in sunlight? I think I get more natural sunlight where I am, so it may appear pinker in California due to UV fluorescence?

Sadly, I do not have vendor pictures. What do PSers think of whether this is red or pink?

IMG_20200110_145938.jpg
Diffused daylight, photo adjusted to mimic what my eyes see, in the "best" lighting. Other photos are unadjusted ones.

IMG_20200108_174459.jpg
Nighttime, LED light.

IMG_20200109_112923.jpg
Under direct sun.

IMG_20200109_112948.jpg
Under very bright diffused sunlight.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200109131447597_COVER.jpg
Direct sunlight, but inside box.

IMG_20200109_113412.jpg
In diffused light.

Which light standard should be used to describe the color here? The scientific method of not using the term pink, but just say less saturated red? Or is the tone not pure red? What do you all think?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, neon dark pink to me as well.

voce

Ideal_Rock
IMG_20200110_162315.jpg
Okay, one more. It looks red to me (maybe not on camera) in my workplace's bathroom lighting.

@JPie @lovedogs and others, do you think true color should be evaluated in diffused sunlight rather than artificial lighting?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have such a hard time with the bright red / pinks. When I put my mahenge next to something obviously pink, it looks more red...but when I see it next to something bright red, it starts looking more pink.

Your oval looks like a reddish pink to me. A very beautiful color.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@voce it looks more peachy-pink to me in that lighting, but I’m currently viewing your photos in a dark bus on my phone.

I hope our resident PS color stone experts can better speak to whether there’s a lighting standard for evaluating true color.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I feel weird because Ive asked this question myself quite a few times, as I feel like I'm the only one on PS that would call the majority of the CS that are labeled red here, pink.

Sometimes they are reddish-pink but what others here term and see as "red" ruby or spinel, I personally always see as a rich bright pink.

I truly only see gems as red or would call them so if they only have that one color in them; like diffused drops of blood.

The perception of these two colors on PS and in the gem world in general has always puzzled me.
Its like we all see pretty much the same colors until it gets to pink or red (& everything in between these two).

Yours look a beautiful pink to me with a twinge of red.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Reddish pink or more sat peachy pink depending on the lighting.

But many sellers would go with red :razz:

Gorgeous stone either way!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mahenge spinels are all a hot pink that does sometimes look red... I still call them pink.

I feel weird because Ive asked this question myself quite a few times, as I feel like I'm the only one on PS that would call the majority of the CS that are labeled red here, pink.

Sometimes they are reddish-pink but what others here term and see as "red" ruby or spinel, I personally always see as a rich bright pink.

I truly only see gems as red or would call them so if they only have that one color in them; like diffused drops of blood.

The perception of these two colors on PS and in the gem world in general has always puzzled me.
Its like we all see pretty much the same colors until it gets to pink or red (& everything in between these two).

Yours look a beautiful pink to me with a twinge of red.

The vast majority of "rubies" look pink or purple to me, not red. I sold a ruby I had because it looked too purple for me. Now I have a red-orange spinel that looks to me more red than most rubies. I think I just see red as either pure red or with a dash of orange, and I don't see pink-red or purple-red as red, but as pink or purple.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Sells for more when described as red vs pink? Same reason there are so many “pigeon blood” rubies are so dark and unimpressive

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reddish pink in one light source, orangy pink in another. I agree with @Burmesedaze.

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
They look generally a vivid saturated pink to me on this monitor, rather than red. There's definitely a peachy modifier in the bathroom lighting.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s pinkalicious :love:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all who left comments or voted. I'm in agreement that in general people allow pinks and purplish "reds" to be "rubies". However, I always give the benefit of doubt, as I used to have a pretty crappy phone that could only capture red gems as pink. My Tanzanian ruby looks red to me in any light setting. My Mozambique ruby and red Mahenge spinel (I have another that is more typical of the origin) appear a pure red in diffused natural light but will turn a bit pinkish under direct sunlight, and I still have trouble deciding whether they should count as red or pink, because honestly the only lighting in which they appear pink is where there is strong UV.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
...The vast majority of "rubies" look pink or purple to me, not red. I sold a ruby I had because it looked too purple for me. Now I have a red-orange spinel that looks to me more red than most rubies. I think I just see red as either pure red or with a dash of orange, and I don't see pink-red or purple-red as red, but as pink or purple.

Same here.

For a little more confusion, what Pantone calls "Ruby Red", is literally dark pink on the swatch. :think:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Raspberry?

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm late to this thread, but I just have to say that I love your stones! :love: They look like a hot, luscious pink to me, and I am a wee bit jealous of you! I don't think we live too far from each other, so if you don't want them, I'm happy to swing by and welcome them into a loving home. :lol:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I'm late to this thread, but I just have to say that I love your stones! :love: They look like a hot, luscious pink to me, and I am a wee bit jealous of you! I don't think we live too far from each other, so if you don't want them, I'm happy to swing by and welcome them into a loving home. :lol:

How many miles do you think we live from each other? Should I be concerned that you were able to sleuth out where I live? (I don't do social media, so I wonder where I left an internet footprint.) That said, I'd love to meet up one of these days to share the bling. Yvonne was considering doing a West Coast celebration; if she hosts one, it would be fun to meet you and @strawrose who (I think) lives in northern California. I don't remember where I got that impression. :think: I think @lovedogs lives somewhere in California, maybe mentioned a city name here or there?

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
How many miles do you think we live from each other? Should I be concerned that you were able to sleuth out where I live? (I don't do social media, so I wonder where I left an internet footprint.) That said, I'd love to meet up one of these days to share the bling. Yvonne was considering doing a West Coast celebration; if she hosts one, it would be fun to meet you and @strawrose who (I think) lives in northern California. I don't remember where I got that impression. :think: I think @lovedogs lives somewhere in California, maybe mentioned a city name here or there?

Oooh I would love that! You would have a whole two hands of bling to wear to the party.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results