shape
carat
color
clarity

Confused and shopping

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

spaceguy

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am looking for an engagement ring/diamond. I have been shopping locally as well as here and elsewhere on the net. I am not an impulse buyer and want a balance of quality and size for a fair price. I have been looking for ovals, marquise, and hearts in the 1.5-2.5 carat range.

One of the local places found me a 2.08 carat marquise. It is an H color and SI3 clarity. It is huge looking however at 14.2 by 6.98 mm. So it has the right dimensions at a 2:1 ratio. The trade off is in depth at I think 52.7%. There are of course some inclusions visible with the loupe at an SI3. They seem to be at the tip and perhaps could be covered by the mounting. He is asking $6500 which seems to be much less than that I can see here at pricescope for comparable size, color, and clarity. It does have the face dimensions of something closer to three carats and does seem to sparkle nicely.

Any opinions from the community here or other things I should ask or consider? I know in the end it does come down to a balance between size and price....

thanks!

Emrldforher

Rough_Rock
Sup, Spaceguy. Couple thoughts to consider.

SI3 is not a "recognized" standard grading. Check around, but a lot of folks will say the grade represents a "good I1". Point being, I would be careful and look close. You say you can see inclusions with a loupe, but I'm surprised if you can't see inclusions without a loupe. Just something to consider.

Look at the AGA cut charts for an idea of good proportions. More importantly, try to look at many different marquise stones so you can start determining "good cut" by how it returns light. A 52.7% depth (for that characteristic only) puts the stone at a 3B I believe on the AGA chart. Again, just a starting point, but something to consider.

You mention the price is "much lower than pricescope vendors". I'm all for you buying locally if you get a reasonable (not even the best) deal, if you value the service, etc. However, if you look at the "price stats" section here, based on an SI2/I1, with the color/clarity combination you've given and factor in a 3A/3B cut, I think the price is actually right around what you'd expect if not a little high.

What about a bow-tie effect? How does that diamond look to you compared to other marquise? If you haven't viewed many others, try to do so.

Probably have some more thoughts, but that's probably enough! Oh yeah, I'm just a consumer, but I did get the "bug" years ago. Did a lot of research (especially on emerald cuts, hence the name
9.gif
) on diamonds and enjoy giving what knowledge I have gained to others.

Good luck and most importantly........ Have Fun!

E

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Here's the link to the Cut Chart for Marquis diamonds:

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc3.asp

The comment I've seen from pros about shallow Fancies is those diamonds tend to appear washed out.

Your L:W ratio is good. You need to get table, crown, and pavillion information to compare to the Cut Chart.

I have to ask. Is this diamond Certed? By the SI3 rating, if the diamond is Certed, I'd guess the diamond is an EGL stone.

There is 1 EGL 2.08, H, SI3 currently available Price Scope priced at $7739:
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=2018036

If you are considering an unCerted diamond, the color and clarity grades might be the jeweler's "opinion". Even tho SI3 is not recognized by GIA and AGS, many appraisers will give a very harshly graded I1 a SI3 rating. The same appraisers will give a loosely graded SI2 that is not I1 level, a SI3 rating. There is nothing inherently wrong with the SI3 grade if the diamond is in fact a SI3.

If the jeweler is offering this diamond based on his/her "opinion", the jeweler may have bought the diamond from a wholesaler with pricing based on I, I1. A comparable carat weight I, I1 diamond would run around $1K less in price. That may be why the price you are seeing seems too good to be true. One color or clarity grade difference may not legally constitute misrepresentation, but can make a huge difference in pricing.
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 3/5/2004 8:50:36 AM Emrldforher wrote:

SI3 is not a 'recognized' standard grading. Check around, but a lot of folks will say the grade represents a 'good I1'
----------------

That's not completely accurate. SI3 *is* a recognized grading by EGL.....and some appraisers also recognize this grading. The grading has not been adopted to date by GIA or AGS (and maybe others, I don't know).

Do a search....there's a few great threads that contain comments (I think) from Rich Sherwood, an accredited appraiser, explaining how SI3 came into being and its place in the market. Great reading.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results