shape
carat
color
clarity

Confused about buying a ring

Toasterthief

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I'm currently in the process of buying a ring and I've run in to a lot of confusing options. I'm hoping to find something similar to this:

http://www.mc2jewels.com/item/31092/sapphire-diamond-three-stone-ring-platinum

As I'm learning, what seems like a "simple" ring to me has turned in to a confusing/complicated process. My primary question: if I buy the ring from MC2, how will it be different than if I buy a similar ring from say, James Allen, who say they could do it but have to make a "custom" setting to accommodate slightly larger pear diamonds, my local, small jeweler, or another online retailer such as www.gemsny.com,,, which honestly seems to have some pretty fantastic prices.

Thanks so much for everyone's help!

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
One is stock the other partial custom, but pretty much the same ring, no?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a standard 3 stone ring, blue sapphire cushion + 2 pear diamond side stones.

It should be easy enough to get from other vendors.

Toasterthief

Rough_Rock
I guess my question is, is there any advantage to buying this ring from MC2?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the name matters to you.
If you want it easy (let them handle everything) as opposed to your selecting each stone yourself and making sure the proportions and workmanship is good, etc.

Toasterthief

Rough_Rock
After doing some more research, it looks like gemsny might be a place to avoid.

Would anyone have a suggestion for a place that might help me source the gems/diamonds needed and put them in to a setting? It might just be MC2.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
To my knowledge, MC2 doesn't work with outside stones. Of course they will source stones for you.

With the setting you have chosen, you are very likely to get a better price and comparable quality from other vendors. I have had great experiences with David Klass and Maytal Hannah, both of whom I learned of on this forum.

For more unusual settings, I have seen many attempts at replicating MC2, but none of them even comes close. Anything from the Flora or Dandelion series comes to mind.

My engagement ring is a custom Bella Flora from MC2. The entire process was a pleasure. They sourced the stone, sent me alternatives, and even included bands in different types of gold so I could see the exact color of their alloy (they make it in-house).

We worked with Samantha. My father passed away during the project, and that is when I learned that they are not only wonderful jewelers, but also wonderful people.

The rings I have from Maytal Hannah and David Klass are more recent purchases. Maytal sourced the stones. David sourced the diamonds for the halo of one ring, but used a center stone that I had purchased from Mastercut Gems. For another ring, all of my stones are from Yvonne Raley. All four vendors are wonderful.

To me, it comes down to the setting. Some of the MC2 settings give you a museum piece on your finger. The worksmanship is stunning, and to me, more than worth the premium they charge.

Toasterthief said:

Would anyone have a suggestion for a place that might help me source the gems/diamonds needed and put them in to a setting? It might just be MC2.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
freezing_in_MO|1489867213|4141622 said:
To my knowledge, MC2 doesn't work with outside stones. Of course they will source stones for you.

With the setting you have chosen, you are very likely to get a better price and comparable quality from other vendors. I have had great experiences with David Klass and Maytal Hannah, both of whom I learned of on this forum.

For more unusual settings, I have seen many attempts at replicating MC2, but none of them even comes close. Anything from the Flora or Dandelion series comes to mind.

My engagement ring is a custom Bella Flora from MC2. The entire process was a pleasure. They sourced the stone, sent me alternatives, and even included bands in different types of gold so I could see the exact color of their alloy (they make it in-house).

We worked with Samantha. My father passed away during the project, and that is when I learned that they are not only wonderful jewelers, but also wonderful people.

The rings I have from Maytal Hannah and David Klass are more recent purchases. Maytal sourced the stones. David sourced the diamonds for the halo of one ring, but used a center stone that I had purchased from Mastercut Gems. For another ring, all of my stones are from Yvonne Raley. All four vendors are wonderful.

To me, it comes down to the setting. Some of the MC2 settings give you a museum piece on your finger. The worksmanship is stunning, and to me, more than worth the premium they charge.

Toasterthief said:

Sooo... you know you can't write allathat and not give us some pictures right? :wink2:

I went to their little boutique in the berkshires when I lived in the NE. ahhh the stuff I wanted but couldn't have....
sometimes the skull drugery of life means the house comes first.

But I probably could get it if I sold a kidney :lol:

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
Arcadian, I guess I'm happy that I have never made it to their boutique. I would be selling both kidneys on the spot :lol:

My engagement ring is the picture in my avatar. I actually have a thread on it. I am very grateful for all the help I received from fellow PSers in the process of working on the ring.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mc2-e-ring-is-here-brown-diamond-rose-gold.186685/
Here it is with the matching wedding band.
DSC04405.JPG

DSC04407.JPG

DSC04408.JPG

DSC04409.JPG

This pendant is MC2 as well:
Pendant1.JPG

Pendant4.JPG

Pendant5.JPG

The band Maytal Hannah made for me is here:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...for-alexandrite-or-ruby-eternity-band.215648/

This band is by David Klass:

DSC04377.JPG

DSC04379.JPG

DSC04382.JPG

Last edited:

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
And more David Klass:

DSC04383.JPG

DSC04393.JPG

DSC04398.JPG

DSC04399.JPG

I have been thinking of asking David to modify the basket of the ruby ring. I picked it out myself, but it seems to darken the stone and makes the ring hard to clean.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results