shape
carat
color
clarity

confirming stone is eye clean when buying online?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snowgie17

Rough_Rock
I''ve been targeting at least a VS1 Clarity in my online searches, because I''m terrified to buy something only to open it in the mail and see inclusions. Is this crazy?! How can I tell something''s really eye clean before it''s shipped to my door? Other than the GIA cert and clarity grade, how do customers get comfort on this? Can sales reps at the online vendors tell you if a stone is eye clear or not, despite if the stone is SI1, SI2, VS2, etc.?

Advice appreciated!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the stone is in house, the vendors here are very honest about telling you if it''s eye clean or not. I got a stone from WF that is an SI1 and it''s completely eye clean. Many have gotten SI2''s that are completely eye clean as well. I guess you need to develop a relationship with a vendor and go from there. Good luck!!! I know there have been many threads on this subject, try typing in eye clean in the search box....

:)

Brilliant_Rock
You also need to make sure that you and the rep are very clear on what each other''s definition of eye clean are. WF lists their definition on their website. Others you will need to ask - as long as both of you are clear on the definition being used, then you won''t be surprised!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
You definitely don''t need to buy a VS1 to ensure eye-clean clarity. As others have mentioned, if the stone is in house you can simply ask the vendor. The pricescope vendors are very trustworthy and I would trust what WF, jamesallen, GOG, would say about the stone. Also, be sure you know what *their* definition of eye-clean is.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can trust some people, such as those mentioned, to give an honest opinion about a diamond. I recently had a lady here who could absolutely see black specks in her diamond which any other person, including me, would call eye clean. This lady had what we call X-ray vision. I had no doubt that she could see marks in the diamond. She held the stone about 3 inches from her eye and could describe what she was seeing. It was incredible. It was also ridiculous.

The WF definition of eye clean is a very good way to understand their approach. Its very fair to handle it that way.

If a diamond is just a bit less than totally eye clean to you when you closely examine it, you should remember that no one else will ever scrutinize it the same way when they admire it on your finger. Be realistic about it and you will have much less to worry over.

One of our old vendors said it was the "5 second rule". If you don''t see anything in five seconds, then it isn''t there. Now that''s sort of extreme on the opposite side, but they were a very strong, pushy seller, not a consumer. This iis the eternal conflict between sellers and buyers.

snowgie17

Rough_Rock
Would you say there is a bigger $$ difference between VS1 to VS2, or between VS2 to SI1, or between SI1 to SI2, etc...?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
When I was a newbie in the market for my first diamond several years ago, I was terrified of inclusions, too. My only experience with SI stones was in the local jewelry stores, and those poor, sad "SI" specimens with those huge black boulders in them... I was horrified and thought, "NO WAY!"
23.gif

So when I bought my first stone (a beautiful AGS-0 1.53 G/VS2 RB) I was positively thrilled with it. It was a fabulous stone, and eyeclean even under a loupe. The only bad thing about it was that the darn thing kept *SHRINKING* right before my eyes
2.gif
, and in a year or so I decided to upgrade.

BUT in the year that I wore that diamond, I continued to get educated on PS... (and saw a LOT of killer SI stones posted here) and I began to realize that not all SI stones are created equal... and that SI stones (even SI2) graded by a reputable lab could in fact be completely eyeclean. I also began rethinking the whole "color" thing... and determined never to sacrifice CUT (and therefore beauty), I set out to find my upgrade, looking at "lower" color/clarity stones. I was delighted to find that "compromising" a little in these two areas allowed me to get a VERY NICE sized AGS-0 stone, well over 2 carats (2.36) for surprisingly little additional money.

I was excited because knew if I didn't LOVE the stone, I could return it and keep looking. Well... I am here to tell you that when I opened that box, and saw that stunning diamond, I could NOT believe it was a J/SI2. I could hardly say "SOLD!" fast enough. It is totally eyeclean, even at close scrutiny. Under a loupe, I can see a few tiny white wisps. Does that bother me? No way!

I have worn it happily for a couple of years now... and I adore it. I get so many compliments on it, and have actually had jewelry store employees ask me if it is "flawless"! In all honestly, I think it is actually even more beautiful than my old 1.53 was.

The only problem with it is the same problem I had before... it seems to be shrinking, too!
20.gif
2.gif
9.gif
But I am trying to cope!
12.gif

56YAYa.jpg

snowgie17

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lynn B! Good story.

Shopping for this e-ring has been daunting, but at the same time I suppose there is a "thrill of the hunt" element to it all......

diamondpug

Rough_Rock
you can always have one or two diamonds sent to an independent appraiser before purchasing. then you can go look at them and have one (or both) of them examined before making the purchase.

Pugsy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results