shape
carat
color
clarity

CONFIRMING A GIA REPORT

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

johnreggae

Rough_Rock
HI,
I AM CONSIDERING PURCHASING A LOOSE DIAMOND FROM AN EBAY DIAMOND BROKER WHO HAS EXCEPTIONAL FEEDBACK. THE DIAMOND IS REPORTED TO HAVE A CURRENT GIA CERTIFICATION/REPORT AND THE SELLER HAS A NUMBER LISTED FOR THIS REPORT.
IS THERE ANY WAY TO AUTHENTICATE THIS REPORT WITH THE NUMBER THE SELLER PROVIDES?
ANY HELP APPRECIATED...
[email protected]

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi Johnreggae,

I guess you should get as much details as possible
from this EBAY broker.

Ebay, Although very popular, does not take responsability
for false advertisement.

Get this Ebay diamond brokers credentials and make sure to check him out first.

Kirk
www.diamondoptics.com

johnreggae

Rough_Rock
THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES SO FAR,
I DONT THINK IT WOULD BE APROBLEM SHIPPING STONE TO AN INDEPENDENT APPRAISER, I GUESS AM STILL LOOKING FOR AN ANSWER TO THE QUESTION, CAN I CONFIRM THE GIA REPORT BY CALLING GIA AND PROVIDING THEM THE NUMBER? OR GOING TO A WEBSITE AND INPUTTING THE NUMBER INTO A GIA DATABASE? SEEMS LIKE THIS SHOULD BE AN EASY WAY OF INITIALLY CHECKING OUT THE VALIDITY OF A GIA REPORT...
ANY FEEDBACK WELCOME! THANKS!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The problem is confirming that the stone is the same one described on the cert.
Not to mention the probability that it is a certed stone that happens to be a dog that someone is clearing out of inventory.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, you can call GIA and give them the report number. They can read off what it should be reporting.

But, as Garry said the big problem is knowing the diamond belongs to that report. Or that it is even a diamond.

Be careful!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Just confirming that a stone matches its GIA report is OK, however lots of information is not on the GIA reports.

It depends of course on how much you want to know, about the stone. Perhaps just the clarity and color with table and total depth is enough or you may want more information and data. Many consumers feel the more information they have the better their purchasing decision will be.

Then again, you may want more.

Check comparing the labs page on my site. That will tell you what information is provided by the different labs.

Rockdoc

golfer

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 12/8/2002 10:16:25 AM

Yes, you can call GIA and give them the report number. They can read off what it should be reporting.

But, as Garry said the big problem is knowing the diamond belongs to that report. Or that it is even a diamond.

Be careful!
----------------

Of course, that problem exists in every diamond purchase online. Indeed, that problem exists in every diamond purchase at a B&M. Unless their is a girdle inscription with a GIA report number, you never know. Even if you have the original certificate in your hand, you have no way of knowing it matches a particular diamond. A great scam would be to find a good quality diamond and get as many certificates as possible for it (multiple GIA and AGS). I don't know if GIA/AGS check their database to see whether a diamond has been submitted before, but (1) how could they know for sure -- especially if it is IF and (2) even if they do, you could probably sneak it in at least twice, for each of them (and EGL, etc.). Then buy lots of junk stones that quasi-match the obvious specs on the cert(s), and sell the junk as being "the stone" under the cert.

But of course, that's why we use independent appraisers.

johnreggae

Rough_Rock
you guys are awesome! i really appreciate the feedback. how would you recommend i ask for this stone to be evaluated by a credible independent appraiser.
also, the seller reports she will send this stone to GIA for a recert as the last one was in 2000. she tells me they will laser inscript a GIA number on the diamond itself so there are absolutely no questions.
incidentally, the stone is a 1.10 caret, D color, VVS2 clarity with a 'good cut'. price is 5500$ and she tells me 40% off rappaport wholesale and conservative retail apprasing is 20,500$...

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
now, there are still a few questions to ask about this...
1. why does the seller still have the stone, after 2 years? As i understand, the good stones are not held on to for very long.
2. Does GIA even do "recerts" i was under the impression that unless the cert was clearly wrong, they would not consider it.
3. Do you want to take the time to wait for a "recert" if it is even theoretically possible?
4. is it cheaper to have an independant appraiser look at the stone, rather than back to GIA?
5. how will you know you are getting the "recerted" stone anyway, would it come directly to you from GIA, or would you have to go out and get another appraisal anyway?

Not to say people who sell on Ebay are swindlers, but many are. It just seems like this stone is probably either a dud, or you will be paying for what you get. with that said, i personally would put my faith in a jeweler if i were going to "pay for what i was getting."

andrea

Shiny_Rock
I just bought a ring from ebay, and was fortunate enough to have everything pan out. I took it right away to a local, reputable jeweler in my town, and they gave it the "O.K." I on the other hand had a guarantee that if they misrepresented it in any way that they would give a full refund. It's a risk I almost didn't take, but am glad I did. See what kind of guarantee they can make you, and then have it checked out.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results