shape
carat
color
clarity

condo dogs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

biblobaggins23

Shiny_Rock
okay, i know i have been talking about dogs a lot lately, but my fiance and i really really really would like a dog when we are newlyweds for many personal reasons. however, one of the cons is that we will both be working 8 hour days, 5-days a week. there has to be a dog out there for us, right? one that is quiet, small, pretty independent with regards to separation anxiety? intelligent?

anyone know of any breed?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 12:15:25 AM
Author:biblobaggins23
okay, i know i have been talking about dogs a lot lately, but my fiance and i really really really would like a dog when we are newlyweds for many personal reasons. however, one of the cons is that we will both be working 8 hour days, 5-days a week. there has to be a dog out there for us, right? one that is quiet, small, pretty independent with regards to separation anxiety? intelligent?

anyone know of any breed?
No dog/puppy can be left alone 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.
38.gif
Don't get a dog or puppy until you have the TIME to properly take care of it. It's not about you, think about the dog, it's well being, and it's quality of life. What you are proposing, is just plain mean to the dog.
15.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um,the only breed I can think of is the stuffed type. Seriously.

You''re saying you''ll only be home 8 hrs. a night (and this is if you don''t go out), plus you possibly sleep 8 hours (unless you plan to do it in shifts), so that is actually 16 hours the puppy will be alone. 8 hours to devote to a dog potentially is not great dog ownership and does not make for a happy well adjusted dog in my opinion. You might want to look into how you could change your schedules to make them more dog friendly before even considering getting one.

Puppies require as much attention as babies. I''ve been through two puppies in the last couple years, fortunately I live 5 b locks from work and can come home every day for lunch so my dogs are never left "alone" for more than 4 hours. You really have to consider whether you have a dog who can hold it for 8 hours. I personally don''t think it''s right for a dog to just have to "hold it" for 8-12 hours...as a human how would you like to be told you should just have to sit tight for that long without being able to stretch or go potty?

I think sometimes we think the smaller the dog, the less the bladder/poo issue, but I don''t think that really holds true for a small dog with a small bladder...you will have to think around that issue, too, or maybe look into daycare for a small dog. I know Mara has done this, she can probably give you good advice as far as doggie day care.

Please think long and hard about this before you actually get a dog. I''m glad you are thinking it out here on PS, don''t get me wrong. But I don''t know of any breed of dog who would be happy with its owners being gone or sleeping for long periods of time.

P.S. my Dh works from home most of the time, so our dogs have someone here to care for them almost always, fyi.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry, I just have to reply once more...dogs are not accessories to make you feel good at the end of a work day. Neither are cats, or any other "cuddly" mammals that might be for sale whereever. It''s just not fair to an animal to be your companion unless you are really willing to devote the time it takes to be a good parent to that animal! There are so many things one has to "give up" sort of to care for an animal...I remember 3-4 yrs. ago when DH gave me our first puppy for Christmas, we did not go out for New Years at all, rather we had people over for like half an hour to sip champagne because we wanted to stay home and take care or our baby! Ever since then it''s like we have had children, even though dogs are not children, they require so much attention and care and we would just never leave them be without proper attending to. I really dislike it that people assume they can just "get a dog" of a particular breed and that dog will be fine with the fact that the owners just leave it alone all the time even though it needs care and concern around the clock otherwise than just peeing and eating. It''s really ridiculous to me that humans can be so selfish. Done with rant...sorry, not directed at OP at all, just in general.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 12:47:00 AM
Author: monarch64
sorry, I just have to reply once more...dogs are not accessories to make you feel good at the end of a work day. Neither are cats, or any other ''cuddly'' mammals that might be for sale whereever. It''s just not fair to an animal to be your companion unless you are really willing to devote the time it takes to be a good parent to that animal! There are so many things one has to ''give up'' sort of to care for an animal...I remember 3-4 yrs. ago when DH gave me our first puppy for Christmas, we did not go out for New Years at all, rather we had people over for like half an hour to sip champagne because we wanted to stay home and take care or our baby! Ever since then it''s like we have had children, even though dogs are not children, they require so much attention and care and we would just never leave them be without proper attending to. I really dislike it that people assume they can just ''get a dog'' of a particular breed and that dog will be fine with the fact that the owners just leave it alone all the time even though it needs care and concern around the clock otherwise than just peeing and eating. It''s really ridiculous to me that humans can be so selfish. Done with rant...sorry, not directed at OP at all, just in general.
Monnie, that just summed it up, nice post.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ITA with everything already said...I wanted a dog for YEARS but because I knew that I didn't have the right lifestyle to care for the dog nor the time and money...but I always knew I would get one in the future, when it was the right time. Lucky for me the man I met and married was on board with a dog in the future and the breed/type I wanted (had one in childhood). I looked into getting the dog a few times but it just never felt totally right. When it did feel right, it happened and the right way for us. And our dog consumes a fair amount of our time...we don't leave her alone for periods longer than 5 hours typically...my parents watch her if we will be gone overnight or longer than 6 hours, or she also has a local daycare. Because we can work longish hours and then throw in gym time, we put her in daycare a few days a week so she can get some social interaction...and I come home for lunch some of the time as well. When we are home, we try to include her in activities with us, aka couch snuggling time while watching TV, or taking walks with us, so she does get some togetherness time. Dogs are hugely social creatures, they are pack animals. They are not really that happy typically when left alone. Sure many dogs will 'make do' but they are so much happier seemingly when there is activity around, they are being spoken to, included, etc. Anyway bottom line is that a pup and addition to the family is a huge committment and if you are working all the time or hardly around and newly married, it doesn't sound like it's the right time for you right now. Maybe wait til you have more time to integrate a puppy and also so it won't have to be left alone for 8 hours a day.

Cats seem like a bit less 'high maintenance' from what I have heard...but I have never owned one so I can't say for sure and I would imagine it would depend on the cat itself just like many times a personality depends on the dog itself not just a breed. I have a friend whose cats are kind of like dogs and very needy with attention and time.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the idea of a dog is sometimes so appealing that common sense and reality leave us for the moment. It is not fair to a dog to be warehoused like that, I suppose the only fair thing would be a doggy day care in which the dogs run around and are played with, this is a great option for busier longer days, but not all day every day. I am not against an occasional vacation and putting a dog in a good kennel or having a pet sitter be with the dog in your home, BUT when it is a day in and day out thing, it is truly not right to do to the animal. Dogs get so attached and really mourn when you leave, they experience anxiety and often end up misbehaving because they are upset. My dog loves company, she will sit at my feet while I am at my desk or sit on anyone's feet who is at the sink doing dishes, she follows us around and the second the garage door goes up she goes to the door into our home no matter what else is going on, to greet whoever it is with a stretch and tail wag and vocalization. She is thrilled when each one of my kids comes in, and brings them her toys and runs to the back door, no matter how much play time she has had that day. It would really be so unkind to have a dog that is left alone most of the time, and the dog is likely to really suffer and be unhappy. Maybe a hamster or a fish might be good?

biblobaggins23

Shiny_Rock
yeah i know. before writing to the post, i contemplated how guilty i would feel leaving it around the house. i am still debating it, i don''t want a cat, but i really would like a companion besides my future fiance. we like to hike and stay active and run. both of us grew up with dogs, and can''t imagine not having one. oh well, i guess not. 2 of my friends who are married have small dogs, i wonder how they do it? they both work!!!!!!

i don''t like cats at all, and they give me allergies. no guinea pigs! lol!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bilbo, I certainly don''t want to make you feel like you can''t be a good pet parent, but I just want to make it crystal clear that there is so much responsibility that goes into getting a dog (or cat, or any other animal!) I''m glad you are realizing it...there are just no "special" breeds who will make good pets that don''t really need constant taking care of, honestly. I mean, I can''t really think of any breed who is seriously hands off at all. Dogs are "mans best friend" for a reason: that is, they NEED man to take care of them and be loyal to, you know? And after that loyalty is established they damn well expect you to be there. So, I hope you decide on something like a great houseplant or balcony garden to start off with...that would be lots easier than a pet, anyway. You don''t have to walk a plant outside at 2 a.m., that''s for sure, lol!

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
BB -

If you really want a dog and want to give it a good quality of life, there are totally ways to do it, even if you work 9-5.

Our pups go to doggie day care twice a week and they have a dog walker that takes them to the dog park during the day twice a week. They have one day a week that they are by themselves from 8:30-5. And you know what they do? They sleep like logs!

And dogs really are adaptable. 8 hours a day alone is really not a lot for an adult dog. No way you could leave a puppy for that amount of time...but an adult dog should be just fine.

Our Ibizan was recently on crate rest for a sore shoulder...so that meant no day care and no dog walker...he was by himself for 8 hours a day pretty much 5 days a week. We have a computer camera that we turn on so we can watch the dogs when we aren''t home (I know, we are total dorks), but all he did during that time was sleep. Now, granted, he''s an adult dog...but he was totally fine with it.

I would feel bad doing it to him all the time, but again, dogs are adaptable.

Anyway...just wanted to drop my two cents in there!

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, and for what it is worth, I would consider a sighthound. They are generally independent, wicked smart and quite silly. Not sure how many small sighthounds there are...as they are generally pretty large dogs.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Have you considered fish, or a hamster, guinea pig, a bird or something like that?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah see i just feel guilty leaving my dog totally alone 8 hours a day for 5 days a week. that's like 1/2 of their life, and you are gone and they have nothing to do and no one to interact with. now portia sleeps when we are away anyway but still, i know she loves the interaction she gets at daycare, so i pay the arm and a leg for her to go 3x a week and i don't feel guilt then lol.

anyway biblo...what about asking your friends with small dogs what they do for a routine/schedule with their dogs and how happy about it the dogs seem. are they destructive or are they great dogs. a dog walker during the day is a great idea but i just don't want anyone coming into my home. and honestly my friend pays like $15 for a dog walker to come and take her dogs out for 30 minutes a day and i pay like $25 for a full 8 hour day of daycare so i'd rather get the daycare where she has multiple dogs to play with, the handlers cuddle her and carry her around if she wants, she just gets way more attention than a 30 minute walk. but that's just me...i have a friend whose dogs can't handle daycare, they get totally stressed and they are not social, so she has a walker come in for like an hour a day and take them out to play and that works for them. but they are older dogs too so they like to sleep mostly anyway.

you might do well with an older rescue dog that doesn't have too much spunk in them, but i have to say i love when a dog has lots of personality. our dog is truly the best of all worlds for us because she is 3 years old but acts SO much more mellow than that, totally does whatever we are doing, aka laying around on the couch snoozing when we are watching TV...she gets up when we get up, she's very in tune to our lifestyle and adapts well...but then when it comes time to go out or play or whatever she is perky, lively, funny....so she's not too hyper at the wrong time i guess. greg says she is truly our 'child' in terms of adapting perfectly to our lifestyle. whereas my friend has this dog who is really hyper, he gets her up at 6am every day and won't let her sleep, half the time her schedule revolves around him and what he wants to do. i was like yeah i could SO never handle that! hehee. so a lot of it has to do with the dog, and also how adaptable your lifestyle is..sometimes dogs DONT want to adapt!

rambling now, anyway!! i'd do more research and also talk to your friends in the meantime. but if you are not averse to having puppy daycare or a walker, you might be able to make it work long-term.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
bluntly put: you want a companion but don''t have the time for the responsibility of a companion. having a dog or a cat is a commitment to a relationship. all relationships require work. i really do understand your wanting a companion other than your fiance, however, you already have a companion other than your fiance: yourself. cultivate that relationship until you''re in a space and place in which you can commit time and energy to a new relationship with a dog.
to accept a pet into your life is to give it a priority in your life. it is like a marriage: for better or for worse, in sickness and in health. you do not have time for a healthy dog right now, and god forbid you get one and said dog becomes ill. if you feel guilty at the thought of leaving a dog at home alone for the periods of time you''re talking about now, think about how guilty you''ll feel if you have to put down your pet because you can''t be at home to care for it.

i''m probably being a bit reactionary to this but i am also caring for one of my cats that does not have long to live.

movie zombie

ps a dog left alone in a condo can become a barking dog in a condo which could get you into problems with your neighbors and/or condo association.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
MZ - I am sorry to hear about your cat.

But really, a lot of these posts seem a bit harsh. My FI and I have had one dog for 2 and a 1/2 years and another for 1 and a 1/2 years. We both work full time. Our dogs are spoiled rotten and we love them to bits and bits. They sleep on the furniture and in bed with us, they have more toys than you could imagine and they are such a source of joy to my FI and I! And although I do not have the luxury of staying home with them, they are two very happy, wonderful dogs. However, if one of them were ill and needed constant care, I would do whatever I had to keep them happy and comfortable. I'm sure most responsible dog owners would do the same thing.

Our pups are by themselves from 9-5 one day a week. And they are fine.

Honestly and truly, all they do is sleep when we are gone. I know because I watch them on our camera. They sleep. Wake up, maybe change positions, and go back to sleep. They don't even play with one another. They sleep. And then they sleep some more. Then they get up, maybe stretch, and go back to sleep. Because, well, I hate to say this, but they are DOGS and not people. My FI and I had to sit ourselves down and give ourselves a talking to after we realized that we were not going out on the weekends at all because we didn't want the dogs to be alone. Well, we've started going out a bit and the dogs are FINE!

And lets be honest. Probably the majority of dogs are at home, by themselves fro 8 hours a day. When I was growing up, we had a dog that was by himself every day while my mom and dad were at work and my sis and I were at school. And he was a fabulous, wonderful, well-adjusted awesome dog.

I just think it is a bit silly to say that because you work, you should not adopt a dog. There are dogs in shelters and rescues for whom a loving, stable home would be a marked improvement - even if the owners of the dog have to work full time.

biblobaggins23

Shiny_Rock
yeah, i can totally see where you guys are coming from and i am selfish to want a dog and not be there. i feel really bad even asking now...it will just be sooo hard leaving a lifetime of growing up with a dog and missing that companionship. i really would just feel it would be abuse if i was leaving it. sorry guys!!!!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think people are saying don''t get a dog. They are saying think hard before getting one. There are some very fortunate people whose dog does sleep all day - and doesn''t mind being left alone.

But there are also some very frustrated and fed up people whose dogs cry/bark all day or worse tear around the house trying to keep themselves amused because they are so bored and lonely.

A sad dog can be a very destructive dog. Its not fair to have a dog that you only want when it fits in with your life. Someone said its like having a baby. I agree 100%. They need just as much attention as a child does.

Some people here have managed, through arranging alternative care through the day, to make sure their pup is happy and has fun. If you have the means to do this then I would say go ahead. If not - then don''t.

Maisie

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t get a dog if I was working all day, five days a week. I really dont think its fair on them. Sure they might sleep all day, but a lot of dogs left alone will cry, bark etc. Wait for a while until you''re in a position where you or your fi can work less hours and have the time to dedicate to a dog. I can understand how hard it will be. I''ve always had three dogs but I will be moving out next year and with college and work I wont be home during the day, and I wont get a dog. I really think its unfair to leave them in all day.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve always wanted to have a dog, but we both work and I just feel it would be really hard on a puppy to be left alone for so many hours. But, we do have cats and as Mara noted, they are a bit easier to leave. We''ve always gotten two kittens at the same time to ensure, since we both work, that the kitties have companionship when we''re not home. And they do sleep in each other''s arms. Plus kitties can go to the bathroom and eat when we''re not home, so for us, it just makes more sense to have cats as opposed to dogs. Still, someday, I would love to have a dog, but not until I know I can be there to spend more time with the dog(s).

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
A lot of these posts are over the top. If you would like a dog or cat as a companion, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Actually, that''s probably the reason that MOST of the people on this thread got their pets -- they didn''t say "hey I think I''d like to take on a huge responsibility for the sake of an animal''s enjoyment."
20.gif

Getting a pet is a serious decision, and depending on the type of pet that you get, will take a lot of time and effort. Cats are very, very easy to care for and are quite self-dependent. I would however recommend getting two kittens at the same time, as they keep great company. I have two cats that for the most part ignore us (even though we love them!) and prefer to be with each other.

Dogs are quite different! Different breeds do require different levels of attention, but even that can vary by each individual dog personality. Puppies cannot be left for 8 hours a day, but if you and your fiance can work out a schedule to each come home once during that time (so twice that day) that should be more than sufficient. Once the puppy is older, once a day is fine. The one thing you might think about however, is letting the dog sleep in your room at night, to build your time together. Even though you''re sleeping, the dog likes hearing your breathing and knowing that you''re close. Another thing to remember is that you should not leave a dog overnight (obviously) and you''ll need a friend or a paid person to pick up the slack when you can''t. Dogs are a huge responsibility, but they are very, very worth it!

I have a chihuahua that is litter box trained. She is left at home for 8 hours a day, and she loves to play and cuddle/sleep with our two cats. The cats and her curl up on the couch and sleep all day. Since she is litter box trained she does not need to be let out during the day (she actually won''t do her business outside unless its an extreme emergency.) I would recommend a small breed that can be litter trained in a apartment/condo environment. We live in a larger townhome, and it''s still nice. Chihuahuas are not a fan of cool weather, and she would hate going outside in the winters! She is small and travels everywhere with us, and sleeps in the bed. Chihuahuas are controversial but they''re my favorite breed
1.gif

n38100039_30498428_5557.jpg

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 6:29:40 PM
Author: *Lindsey*
A lot of these posts are over the top. If you would like a dog or cat as a companion, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Actually, that''s probably the reason that MOST of the people on this thread got their pets -- they didn''t say ''hey I think I''d like to take on a huge responsibility for the sake of an animal''s enjoyment.''
20.gif

Getting a pet is a serious decision, and depending on the type of pet that you get, will take a lot of time and effort. Cats are very, very easy to care for and are quite self-dependent. I would however recommend getting two kittens at the same time, as they keep great company. I have two cats that for the most part ignore us (even though we love them!) and prefer to be with each other.

Dogs are quite different! Different breeds do require different levels of attention, but even that can vary by each individual dog personality. Puppies cannot be left for 8 hours a day, but if you and your fiance can work out a schedule to each come home once during that time (so twice that day) that should be more than sufficient. Once the puppy is older, once a day is fine. The one thing you might think about however, is letting the dog sleep in your room at night, to build your time together. Even though you''re sleeping, the dog likes hearing your breathing and knowing that you''re close. Another thing to remember is that you should not leave a dog overnight (obviously) and you''ll need a friend or a paid person to pick up the slack when you can''t. Dogs are a huge responsibility, but they are very, very worth it!

I have a chihuahua that is litter box trained. She is left at home for 8 hours a day, and she loves to play and cuddle/sleep with our two cats. The cats and her curl up on the couch and sleep all day. Since she is litter box trained she does not need to be let out during the day (she actually won''t do her business outside unless its an extreme emergency.) I would recommend a small breed that can be litter trained in a apartment/condo environment. We live in a larger townhome, and it''s still nice. Chihuahuas are not a fan of cool weather, and she would hate going outside in the winters! She is small and travels everywhere with us, and sleeps in the bed. Chihuahuas are controversial but they''re my favorite breed
1.gif

OK, are you kidding me???? That is hilarious...In a good way. I think I''ve heard it all now. I have never before heard of a DOG being littler box trained. Maybe because I''ve always had big dogs. OMG...I am just picturing my 85 lb. Ridgeback using a litterbox. I am cracking up. Good for you for training your dog to use one!!! I have often thought of toilet training my cat....
31.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha portia came to us litter box trained but not really...she hated it. she used it intermittently...and i think she got confused as to why she could go IN the box but not next to it. or with her butt hanging out of it if her legs were IN IT. haha. and sometimes she'd go upstairs and i think it was just really confusing for her as to why she could go downstairs in the box but not upstairs on the floor. i think that there was confusion over 'inside' of the house and bathroom. it caused so much angst for everyone involved, that we eventually literally just pitched it one day out into the garage, and decided to grass train her outside. and she took to that immediately, over one weekend where we stayed home with her all weekend and took her out every hour, and since then the only accidents she has ever had since then have been when she is really sick and just can't control herself. it was amazing how quickly she went from being confused about the litter box (calculated confusion i expect!!) to 'heck yeah i'll pee on the grass outside' ...haha. but yeah i have heard some dogs do wonderfully with the litter box..our white rat was just not one of them. hehe.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Miranda,

She does great
1.gif
She uses special litter made of rolled up newspaper, and she does great. She somehow even knows not to go in the kitty litter box, and they somehow know not to go in hers. Her breeder''s chihuahuas were all litter trained, so Liz Taylor was raised with her mom using the litter box, and when she came to us, she very rarely had accidents. Now that she''s an adult she never has accidents. Her litter box is a life saver
1.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Don''t even think about sighthounds - I looked into getting a greyhound before I met FI and they are super-needy. Granted they only need 30mins walk a day but they need loads of your time.

My parents have had siamese cats for years. Never have them unless you are home 24/7 or they will destroy your house and become neurotic - and I mean strip paper of walls!

I have 2 pythons - Portius (was Portia, sorry Mara, then found that she was a he
31.gif
) and Millie. They are great - love coming out for a cuddle, but atually wouldn''t care if I never spoke to them again. They eat every 3 weeks or so and as long as my cleaning lady tops their water up I can even go away for 2 weeks and they are fine. Super perfect pets!

However, FI wanted a creature that was a bit more responsive, so I''ve bought him a pygmy hedgehog which arrives next week. They sleep all day and then wake up in the evening so great for us - and to keep FI company as I am out at meetings 3 or 4 nights a week.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 7:24:13 PM
Author: Miranda

Date: 2/28/2007 6:29:40 PM
Author: *Lindsey*
A lot of these posts are over the top. If you would like a dog or cat as a companion, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Actually, that''s probably the reason that MOST of the people on this thread got their pets -- they didn''t say ''hey I think I''d like to take on a huge responsibility for the sake of an animal''s enjoyment.''
20.gif

1.gif

OK, are you kidding me???? That is hilarious...In a good way. I think I''ve heard it all now. I have never before heard of a DOG being littler box trained. Maybe because I''ve always had big dogs. OMG...I am just picturing my 85 lb. Ridgeback using a litterbox. I am cracking up. Good for you for training your dog to use one!!! I have often thought of toilet training my cat....
31.gif
I have never heard/or thought of litter training a small dog. Cat yes, ferrett yes, rabbit yes, dog, no. Brilliant idea :)

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm. Gotta disagree re: the forget about sighthounds. We own two sighthounds. A purebred Ibizan Hound and mix that most definitely has some sighthound in her...both of our dogs are very laid back and absolutely do not mind being by themselves for a bit during the day.

Of course, we spoil them silly and lavish them with attention when we are home...

But sighthounds are known to be independent...just a fact.

edited because I can't type!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Tee hee, what cuties! I think it's great that your puppy and kitties get along...I also think it's cool that she's content during the day!!!

I however, am not comfortable with leaving a dog home alone that long (in terms of getting a new pet and not knowing the dog's personality, etc)....For that reason, I have no dog. I think most people get pets for companionship...but you have to think about the pet's well being....I dunno...Just not something I'd do...

I say solution: Get a cat hehehe :) Trust me, some cats REALLY have dog like personalities..

P.S. Very sorry MZ. I am sure you're doing everything you can.... Head bonks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results