shape
carat
color
clarity

Comparing 2021 to 2020 so far and how are you coping?

How are you coping during 2021 so far?

• 1. As well as 2020

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • 2. Better than 2020

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • 3. Worse than 2020

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • 4. I give up

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So there is a 2020 coping mechanism thread and I thought we could use one for 2021 as this year is continuing to be challenging for many of us.

I feel hopeful in more ways than I did in 2020 because there is a vaccine and people are getting it.

I am disappointed in the slow and inefficient way the vaccine rollout is going but hopeful it will improve as time goes on especially with our new leadership.

I am relieved my DH had his surgery to remove his cancerous thyroid and inflamed parathyroid. We are still waiting for the pathology report so I am a bit apprehensive about that but hopeful it will be good news. Please. :pray: I am also hopeful this helps his kidney stone issues that caused him to have two kidney stone surgeries during Covid 19.

I am thankful our animal rescue groups are doing well and the homeless animals are finding loving homes. I am thankful our ferals are doing well despite winter being here.

And last but not least I am hopeful for our country because of the change in power. Please don't comment on specifics since we are not allowed to discuss politics but just this one statement. I am hopeful for the future.

As for coping mechanisms mainly I remain thankful and grateful for all the good in our lives and for the fact we are still here. One day at a time. I am thankful my DH is recovering from his latest surgery and still has his job and he can WFH for now. I am thankful we have food, shelter and the creature comforts. I am thankful my parents are still with us and pray they can safely get the vaccine soon and get protected from Covid 19. My dad will be 87 in April. I am so thankful my parents are doing OK despite being very frail. I miss them and so badly want to see them but cannot compromise their safety in doing so and so we wait. I am thankful our kitties are doing OK despite Tommy's very fragile health and thankful for each day he is here with us eating and purring and loving us and us him.

interestingtimes.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has not been a good start to 2021, and I am grumpier now than I was with the first lockdown in March 2020.

I am less optimistic as I am not entirely convinced the vaccines will get us out of this pandemic for the life as it was to return without some forms of restrictions.

Social and cultural events are being cancelled left, right and centre for 2021.

No Time To Die, the latest Bond film, has its roll out date delayed by a further 6 months.

Foreign travel may continue to be restricted.

We are not even out of the dark winter months yet and February could be even worse than January in terms of seasonal deaths regardless of Covid. :confused2:

On a more personal note, I have nowhere to go to celebrate Chinese New Year and my birthday as I would normally do as treats to myself. NBD as I shall save the money and get some bling instead. :lol-2:

To all those who work in the Covid front line, I salute you.

I remain optimistic that happier times will return, however, I am not too certain when that may be!

Stay safe and be strong.

DK :))

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m feeling optimistic about the vaccine, over 5,000,000 people already vaccinated here in the UK. My DH will hopefully be vaccinated in the next few weeks, I have to wait longer as I’m younger, but that’s OK, those in need first.

What I’m finding increasingly difficult to deal with, is the continuing selfish behaviour of people who are causing this to go on longer. Just the other day, reports of police breaking up a wedding where there were at least 150 people in attendance, (originally quoted as 400, so who knows?). WHY, just WHY are people still in denial, WHY do they think that the rest of us are not finding it hard not seeing friends, and family, WHY are they persisting in their behaviour in the mounting death toll, and new infections?

I really can’t deal with that level of reckless behaviour, and am counting the days until we can get vaccinated. I understand that won’t be the end of the pandemic, but at least it may mean we can resume some level of normality.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remain optimistic that happier times will return, however, I am not too certain when that may be!

Stay safe and be strong.

Thanks and same. I am optimistic better times will come but not sure when that is. Though I do feel we are finally seeing the light at the end of that proverbial tunnel. Wishing you good health and blingy (oooh what are you purchasing bling wise for your birthday and the New Year?) joy @dk168.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m feeling optimistic about the vaccine, over 5,000,000 people already vaccinated here in the UK. My DH will hopefully be vaccinated in the next few weeks, I have to wait longer as I’m younger, but that’s OK, those in need first.

What I’m finding increasingly difficult to deal with, is the continuing selfish behaviour of people who are causing this to go on longer. Just the other day, reports of police breaking up a wedding where there were at least 150 people in attendance, (originally quoted as 400, so who knows?). WHY, just WHY are people still in denial, WHY do they think that the rest of us are not finding it hard not seeing friends, and family, WHY are they persisting in their behaviour in the mounting death toll, and new infections?

I really can’t deal with that level of reckless behaviour, and am counting the days until we can get vaccinated. I understand that won’t be the end of the pandemic, but at least it may mean we can resume some level of normality.

I am in complete agreement with you. The continuing selfish behavior is astounding on many levels. These are the people keeping the pandemic strong. :(

Inexcusable. Unconscionable.

But thankful a successful vaccine is being administered albeit slowly.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, I don't know yet, as I would like to get my campervan/RV first (due in Feb 2021) before I splash out on anything else.

How would you be celebrating your birthday? I hope you would be able to find a nice way to celebrate yours. I would probably end up cooking something nice for myself.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, I don't know yet, as I would like to get my campervan/RV first (due in Feb 2021) before I splash out on anything else.

How would you be celebrating your birthday? I hope you would be able to find a nice way to celebrate yours. I would probably end up cooking something nice for myself.

My birthday was in August and we cycled on my birthday my birthday year. It's sort of a tradition weather permitting. We didn't do anything else since I don't feel comfortable eating at restaurants yet.

Your camper van/RV will be here soon woohoo! I hope you cook a delicious meal and that it ends up being a wonderful birthday albeit a pandemic birthday. I keep thinking our next birthday will be pandemic free but that might not be the case for me since my birthday is in August. Surely that will be the case for you at your birthday next year. :pray:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy apologies as I thought your birthday is in February too, DOH!

And thanks - food is my salvation, and I am sure I will cook something nice for myself that the pets can share, like roast beef, as I don't cook a roast very often at home and hardly ever a joint of beef!

Or a lobster all to myself! :lol-2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy apologies as I thought your birthday is in February too, DOH!

And thanks - food is my salvation, and I am sure I will cook something nice for myself that the pets can share, like roast beef, as I don't cook a roast very often at home and hardly ever a joint of beef!

Or a lobster all to myself! :lol-2:

No worries! You are half correct. :) My Half Birthday is in February! :bigsmile:

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
I am trying to remain hopeful with the vaccine rollout, despite it being slow. I do keep reminding myself that I am so fortunate compared to what so many others are going through. It has been tough not being able to see family and friends and am looking forward to being able to see everyone. I have a big birthday coming up in April and our 40th anniversary in May. I don’t think I will be vaccinated by then so no trips as originally planned, but know so many others have had to cancel trips as well. DH keeps reminding me we will get back to our travels at some point. I have been splurging on beautiful bling instead. Everyone here is so enabling!!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m really struggling now and am finding it hard to be positive about anything. I stupidly watched the news last night- more COVID deaths, the new strain might be more deadly, the country is £2.3 trillion pounds in the red, plus Brexit is causing all sorts of problems (who could have foreseen that, right?) We are basically in a deep, dark hole. Add to this my poor kids are having their lives and futures turned upside down. What to do?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I'm struggling. Had an anxiety attack that lasted hours the other day. Just.... all the things. So I am politically bi-lingual. I know, it does not belong here, but the huge divide is breaking my heart. So, I am icky right now.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm struggling. Had an anxiety attack that lasted hours the other day. Just.... all the things. So I am politically bi-lingual. I know, it does not belong here, but the huge divide is breaking my heart. So, I am icky right now.

Big hugs. We’re all in this together (even those who don’t think so) and feeling icky is a good description.

I’m really struggling now and am finding it hard to be positive about anything. I stupidly watched the news last night- more COVID deaths, the new strain might be more deadly, the country is £2.3 trillion pounds in the red, plus Brexit is causing all sorts of problems (who could have foreseen that, right?) We are basically in a deep, dark hole. Add to this my poor kids are having their lives and futures turned upside down. What to do?

I’m so sorry @Snowdrop13. Yeah watching the news is on my not to do list.
If there’s nothing I can do to help what’s going on at the moment I’m better off (for me) protecting myself from the unhappy news. Which, is not always completely factual. So yeah my head is down and I continue taking it one day at a time. Doing the best thing I can and staying away from others always wearing a mask and socially distancing. Until further notice.

Hugs to you and your children.

I am trying to remain hopeful with the vaccine rollout, despite it being slow. I do keep reminding myself that I am so fortunate compared to what so many others are going through. It has been tough not being able to see family and friends and am looking forward to being able to see everyone. I have a big birthday coming up in April and our 40th anniversary in May. I don’t think I will be vaccinated by then so no trips as originally planned, but know so many others have had to cancel trips as well. DH keeps reminding me we will get back to our travels at some point. I have been splurging on beautiful bling instead. Everyone here is so enabling!!

Good way to look at it. We are behaving carefully now so we can celebrate with our loved ones after the pandemic. Happy birthday and anniversary in advance. ❤️

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m doing better. I’m fully vaccinated as a HCW, relieved to have the new US administration taking steps to provide leadership and provide messaging consistent with science, and Covid cases in my area are trending down again.

Still worried about friends who don’t have access to vaccines and/or jobs due to the entertainment/service/restaurant sectors being shut down. Hoping they’ll have enough unemployment support to either switch fields or wait until things are safe to reopen.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m doing better. I’m fully vaccinated as a HCW, relieved to have the new US administration taking steps to provide leadership and provide messaging consistent with science, and Covid cases in my area are trending down again.

Still worried about friends who don’t have access to vaccines and/or jobs due to the entertainment/service/restaurant sectors being shut down. Hoping they’ll have enough unemployment support to either switch fields or wait until things are safe to reopen.

I’m glad you are fully vaccinated. You were out there from the start risking your safety. You are a true hero.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vastly more optimistic in the USA all around now. :)

Yeah. This is how I view it too. New year. New beginning. Vaccinations happening. New leadership. Hoping for a much better year despite the challenging circumstances.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jaded as always. :lol: I'm taking a wait and see approach to a good deal of things. I think it will continue to be a rough time for many due to pandemic and having a vaccine available will help but, I sincerely hope people don't become lax because of it! People keep hoping for that old normal and that is out the window.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jaded as always. :lol: I'm taking a wait and see approach to a good deal of things. I think it will continue to be a rough time for many due to pandemic and having a vaccine available will help but, I sincerely hope people don't become lax because of it! People keep hoping for that old normal and that is out the window.

I agree. I hope people don't get lax because they think they are now safe and don't have to wear masks and social distance etc. or because of pandemic fatigue.

I do think our old "normal" can come back. But not until the pandemic is over and done. I mean, of course some things are going to be different just because we have a new leadership and a different economy etc but I am hopeful we will get back to eventually how it was pre pandemic ie seeing friends, no masks etc.

Obviously though that is still a long way off. But less far away than it was last year. :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pissed off at how long the vaccine rollout is taking.
Pissed at a$$hats who come to my door without a mask.
Pissed off at a whole bunch of other things.
Today is a grumpy day lol
Tomorrow will be better.

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exhausted. Out of energy. Beyond tired of fighting illness. I can see my enthusiasm depleting, my energy going down, and just feeling all around flat. I have the best husband in the world, a lovely home, and wonderful friends (if only I could see them). I'm hugely graetful for all of those things. And yet...flat. Bored. Sad. Exhausted. Did I say - flat?

I am genuinely thinking about selling most of my jewelry. I've been talking about this for ages now, but I'm almost *there* in my head.

Did I mention...flat?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Exhausted. Out of energy. Beyond tired of fighting illness. I can see my enthusiasm depleting, my energy going down, and just feeling all around flat. I have the best husband in the world, a lovely home, and wonderful friends (if only I could see them). I'm hugely graetful for all of those things. And yet...flat. Bored. Sad. Exhausted. Did I say - flat?

I am genuinely thinking about selling most of my jewelry. I've been talking about this for ages now, but I'm almost *there* in my head.

Did I mention...flat?

I feel the same @mrs-b Please don‘t do anything rash and sell your jewelry. I’m a happy person by nature...You knock me down..I pop back up ready to go...I’m depleted...I really understand what you’re saying. I’m a hugger...Poor David..my son with autism...has been letting me hug him if I ask him. I had so much hope that lasted me until now. It’s just become too much...Flat is a good word to describe it...Big hugs...

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
This is just the USA, but similar graphs are looking up globally. Hang in there, friends.
We're so close!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

@mrs-b I am sorry for your feeling of health "burn-out" but you will overcome!! And please, save those jewellery selling thoughts for another time!

cheers--Sharon

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sending my love to you all, I know so many people are having a really tough time of it at the moment. So far 2021 for me is busy due to work but fine otherwise. We are blessed with no COVID cases here (ACT) so life is relatively normal. I sincerely wish it were the case for you too. :pray:

I think “saying when COVID is over” is a bit like winning the lottery, I suspect we’ll have to learn to live with it like seasonal flu! Fingers crossed for the vaccines being rolled out.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
*2020 started off sad, when my dear aunt became ill and passed away
*the rest of January, February, early March was fine
*then the pandemic hit
*educating from home was a mess from the get go, with less than a week's notice, teachers had to figure it out, and as in Instructional Aide, I was scrambling to help get materials together, ect, then was left hanging at first, only to be moved from my Kindergartners and the teacher I worked so well with, to 4th and 5th grade math, and had to figure out how to assist. Great teacher, great working relationship on the fly, but what a mess
*summer was nice, even if we couldn't go many places
*Fall 2020, school is Hybrid, much better prepared, much better organized, and I'm back with my now 1st graders and teacher, it's a different kind of mess and stress, but we are there and everyone is doing their best
*Presidential election brings hope
*late fall into Jan, virtual learning again
*all hell breaks loose in DC in early Jan, a new kind of fear
*More hope with Inauguration
*Pandemic still in full swing, praying now that in 2021 we will finally start to see an end

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
Struggling desperately. My father unexpectedly died yesterday in a traffic accident driving home from Laughlin. I am just heartbroken and don’t know what to do. And because of COVID, we are just alone.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It has not been a good start to 2021, and I am grumpier now than I was with the first lockdown in March 2020.

I am less optimistic as I am not entirely convinced the vaccines will get us out of this pandemic for the life as it was to return without some forms of restrictions.

Social and cultural events are being cancelled left, right and centre for 2021.

No Time To Die, the latest Bond film, has its roll out date delayed by a further 6 months.

Foreign travel may continue to be restricted.

We are not even out of the dark winter months yet and February could be even worse than January in terms of seasonal deaths regardless of Covid. :confused2:

On a more personal note, I have nowhere to go to celebrate Chinese New Year and my birthday as I would normally do as treats to myself. NBD as I shall save the money and get some bling instead. :lol-2:

To all those who work in the Covid front line, I salute you.

Stay safe and be strong.

I wish you could come here for Chinese new year
Down home in Dunedin we have a beautiful Chinese garden and we are becoming more and more proud of the contribution Chinese people made to our heritage
It would be a small celebration from what you are used to but February has the hottest weather

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Struggling desperately. My father unexpectedly died yesterday in a traffic accident driving home from Laughlin. I am just heartbroken and don’t know what to do. And because of COVID, we are just alone.

Oh Mom2dolls im so sorry
I wish i could pop over and put the keatle on for you
Hugs to you at this most awful of times

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

I am so sorry for your loss.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results