shape
carat
color
clarity

Comments please on DK, VC, and CvB

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am considering some future projects and am interested in settings by David Klass, Victor Canera, and CvB. I’d love to hear your thoughts on these three jewelers. They are all exemplary from what I’ve read over and over again in this forum. What are the characteristics of these individuals that make them stand out? Amazing milgrain.... an antique vibe..... modern look..... What is it about them that makes them great?

Is there anyone here with rings set by all three? :kiss2:

Thanks!

FlashyFlamingo

Shiny_Rock
I have rings by CvB and David Klass. CvB does amazingly detailed, vintage style work. She has quite a variety of styles that she can tweak for you. She can also do custom work, however I’ve never had her do a custom piece for me. I’ve only bought stock settings from Etsy. They are beautifully crafted.
David does completely custom pieces. You can send him a sketch, a random google image, whatever, and he has a way of turning it into just what you are looking for. I’m probably less picky than some others on these boards but from what I’ve read he’s very happy to do several CAD revisions for clients. From the work that he has done from me and from his IG he doesn’t seem to stick to one particular style. His pricing is also very compatible.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I maybe mistaken, but I believe that VC pieces are hand forged. At least the platinum pieces. From all of the photos that I have seen of all 3 jewelers work, they are all highly skilled and amazing!

I do own a few CVB pieces and she is currently tweaking a design to accommodate a colored stone. She has been very easy to work with, but it is taking a little longer than expected. I am not is any rush so, I would rather it take longer and be done to the extremely high level of finishing/detail that her pieces are known for.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i've had one project w/ david klass jewelers, sent an inquiries to cvb but she stopped replying after the 1st email, never worked with victor canera. so maybe i'm not the best to comment but i see the same themes coming up again and again when people talk about these vendors on these boards so here is what i gather

- dkj - can be difficult to get a hold of, best to be very specific about what you want, will work with your stones and can source as well. has access to multiple bench jewelers with varying skills (hand engraving, "uber" bench, etc.) & is able to make pretty much anything. typically the best price for the quality.

- cvb - can be difficult to get a hold of, can take longer than expected, very specific design point of view (antique/rococo), will work with your stones and can source certain kinds as well. she's a designer, i don't think she makes jewelry but works with a team to produce cast settings.

- vc - i can't recall reading any complaints about this guy, ever. he comes on these boards sometimes and i find his posts thoughtful, informative, and polite. hand forged settings. antique style. prefers to work in platinum if i recall correctly and for some specific settings uses in house stones only.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I've only worked with DK, can't speak on the others. DK is a good fit for me because I am not very decisive in the heat of design and they are very patient, take changes in stride, and when my last ring ended up with an element that was not quite my vision, they redid the whole ring, no charge, without my asking. Customer service is above and beyond with them. And I'm thrilled with everything they've made for me.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for such great responses! =)2 This is the kind of thing I was hoping to hear. Clearly all three could deliver a ring that I’d love, but with a different feel to the final design. Thank you!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have worked with all three:
David Klass:
Great price/quality ratio. Can create every design you can imagine as long as you clearly communicate what you are looking for. It helps if you work with inspiration photo’s. I found him easy to communicate with, but he is clearly a PS darling and is currently more difficult to reach from what I hear. Great customer service: wants huis customers to be happy. Works with CAD’s and different benches.

CvB:
Ringset came out more thin then I expected from the CAD’s. Process took a long time and communication was not great. Whenever I contacted her I heard a different excuse.
Caysie is a very friendly person though.
I ended up selling the set that CvB created for me. Quality was good but a bit ‘thin’.
Romantic style.

Victor Canera:
Great jeweler to work with. Everything is handforged. Has a specific style. Great to work with if you are able to let go and don’t have a tendency to micro manage. He will work with your requirements and then determines what works best for the stone.
Works fast and has excellent communication and service. Higher end pricing yet worth every single penny. You will have a couture ring for life.

What kind of ring are you thinking about?

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Acinom ! I was hoping you’d chime in. I knew you had at least a VC and a DK ring. Do you happen to have pictures of the three?

I have some long term projects in mind. I’d like to reset my aqua, set my sapphire, and buy an AVR and have it set. I love the vintage look, so would like for one of them to have that feel. I feel DK would be a good fit for me, but I’m not a designer and wonder if I’d be able to know what I want. And I love fine things (hand forged) that others would not have which leads me to VC.

You have mentioned loving my aqua setting. I like it but I’m not sure I love it. Either I can’t see it like you do or you were being kind. ;)2 I am still on the fence about it though.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although CVB is very talented, I wouldn't work with her. I think she charges too much for her designs (though of course others disgree), and communication and quality seem to be a persistent problem. I've spoken with people off the boards who don't want to post about their experience bc she has lots of fans who tend to pile on those threads.

DK and VC are both great (from what I know) but obviously different price points. Victor is an artist who hand forges and designs, whereas DK can make what you want for a more reasonable fee bc it's not hand forged.

With Victor you can hand over more control, and with DK you'll need to be sure of what you want, bc he will make what you say (he won't design for you based on your ideas).

I hope that helps! Can't wait to see your projects!

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much @lovedogs I really appreciate honest opinions!

It will take me quite a while to get these projects done, and when I do, I want to know my well earned pennies went to something right for me. These three are definitely popular for good reasons so it’s just a matter of finding a good fit for me.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although CVB is very talented, I wouldn't work with her. I think she charges too much for her designs (though of course others disgree), and communication and quality seem to be a persistent problem. I've spoken with people off the boards who don't want to post about their experience bc she has lots of fans who tend to pile on those threads.

I don't know if I should say this but I always get the impression of so much drama around that designer...!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if I should say this but I always get the impression of so much drama around that designer...!
Yup! And there's a reason for that IMHO. It's just sad that people won't post about their honest experiences.

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have done quite a few projects with VC and it has been an amazing experience each and every time. Victor's work is exquisite and he has a very keen aesthetic eye for detail and proportion, and once he works his magic you will receive an incredibly gorgeous, heirloom-quality treasure! :love: The hand-forged nature of Victor's pieces is very special IMHO, and he is a genuine pleasure to work with as well; his communication and customer service are top notch. As full disclosure, I should note that I have not worked with DK and I only have very limited experience with CvB. But Victor's work is amazing, and it is safe to say that he would get my vote every time!

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So much good information! Thank you! Thank you!

Is Victor willing to make changes or tweeks to his settings? Like if a setting is double pronged, would he make it single pronged? Or would he reduce the number of diamonds on the band if desired? I must admit, it would be grand to own a ring from him. :kiss2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Is Victor willing to make changes or tweeks to his settings? Like if a setting is double pronged, would he make it single pronged? Or would he reduce the number of diamonds on the band if desired? I must admit, it would be grand to own a ring from him. :kiss2:
I can't speak for him, but from what I understand he will. We have seen him change stuff for people on the boards over time (like designing something new for them based on an existing style, etc). Obviously I'm sure he can't do that for every request, but I assume he can for something simple like 1 vs. 2 prongs, etc.

sparlie

Shiny_Rock
I have a VC Emilya ring he made for me in July 2017. The ring is beautiful and I still get a thrill every time I put it on! He was so easy to work with and the ring was delivered to me within 2 weeks start to finish.

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
Yup! And there's a reason for that IMHO. It's just sad that people won't post about their honest experiences.
Wow, I'm really surprised to hear that.

I'm pretty new to the forum, and I see nothing but high praises for her.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh dear..... I found a VC setting that I thought would be really nice with my sapphire (a vintage octagonal setting), but I read, “Note, this design is not available for client supplied center stones.” Big bummer! I still want to consider VC because I love the hand forged aspect. Someone had a video posted here which shows her ring being made and I thought it was amazing and I fell for this technique. :kiss2:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have one ring each from CvB & VC and quite a few from DK.

1. I bought my VC off of the preloved market so I can’t say much about how he is to work with (though I’ve heard mostly good things). From my understanding, he is happy to work with you but does not like to be micromanaged. Very much the artist. I’ll admit that I’ve wanted a VC ring forever. It was definitely a brand name thing for me...I wanted to own a VC. The. End. I also wanted to see how his work compared to what I already had from the likes of DK or CvB. The hand forged thing is definitely one of his main draws. It’s not something you see happening anymore. Plus, his designs are outstanding IMO. Having said that, he is the most expensive of the three options. If you like his designs and your willing to pay a premium for your ring, he’s a great choice.

Now please don’t shoot me (because I really, really love my ring) but if your anything like me, you may not see a huge difference between cast and hand forged. Put the weapons away people...there’s no offense intended. Many of the brilliant ladies here would most certainly be able to tell the differance. I’m more than happy to admit that I’m not a professional by any measure. I just love jewelry. I’d still be more than happy to buy another of his rings, if the budget allowed.

Here’s my VC Emilya:
0DD14F4B-B040-417F-8D02-F705C3DD2256.jpeg
D9432159-0228-436E-B137-EEA4E0718ADB.jpeg

2. I bought my mahenge spinel straight from CvB and ended up going with the “Sienna” solitaire for it. It was a perfect choice. I love the intricacies of her settings. They are very detailed and have a more vintage design. I feel like a couple other designers (Love Affair Diamonds for instance) have a similar vibe. The Sienna was another ring that I’ve wanted for quite some time. I’m very happy to have it and I really enjoy staring at all the little elements that make up this ring.

Having said that, there are some negatives. In my opinion, it took a long time for my ring to be done...especially considering I didn’t ask for any changes. Also, I think it’s a little expensive for a cast setting (which has minimal diamond melee). She has a very sweet personality but communication was an issue.

Here’s my CvB ring:
05FFA94A-4627-4B6B-9382-42FA7FF77174.jpeg
D882C6E1-64DF-49BF-A3C7-3B40E735B2B9.jpeg

3. I’ve bought quite a few rings from DK. He’s my favorite jeweler and most people here already know that. I love his work and I find him to be the most affordable jeweler of the bunch. The majority of his work is cast but he does have an uber bench so hand forged is an option. He doesn’t have a list of ring designs to pick from. This is custom jewelry at its finest because you are creating exactly what you want. If I want vintage, I get vintage. If I want modern, I get modern. He is very easy to work with and extremely invested with making sure your happy. I’ve had a ring remade, free of charge, because it didn’t match all of my specifications. No complaints. No hassles. The DK team is a PS sweetheart for a reason.

For negatives: DK is not a designer so you need to have an idea of what you want. I often scroll though Pinterest for ideas and send him pics from that. Even my CAD edits are often served with pictures to show exactly what look I’m going for (I can’t draw anything greater than stick figures so that option is out). Some people complain of spotty communication but I will say that once you give the go ahead on a project, CADs and related communication runs swiftly.

Here’s a couple of my DK rings (I couldn’t just choose one):
1ED047E9-CF18-49F5-8811-C11DC9EB78EF.jpeg
DA9BA072-C6D2-45C3-B13E-A18407323896.jpeg
B708F0D6-34B7-4188-BFA3-326720700D31.jpeg
E1560B40-2C2B-459C-AAE4-681EE8B9143E.jpeg
8F9B3D16-D77E-473C-8D0A-AC2448744F37.jpeg

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve worked on several projects with DK and it’s been a stellar experience each time and the final product has always surpassed my expectations. His prices have gone up a bit, but are still very reasonable. I think the best thing about working with David is that he charges you one fixed price regardless of the number of CADs you end up going through and ensures you get exactly what you want in the end.

Haven’t worked with VC, but contacted him a few years and found him less interested in doing something other than one of his exisitng designs. I ended up working with Steven Kirsch on that project, he was much more excited to create something he hadn’t done before. He too makes exquisite, fully handforged pieces and will definitely work with your stone, if you want another option in the same category as VC.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@elle_71125 What a well thought out and excellent review! Thank you for spending the time to write it out..... and for including pictures! :kiss2: This decision is tougher than I thought it would be and your comment, and everyone’s comments, are definitely helping!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elle_71125 What a well thought out and excellent review! Thank you for spending the time to write it out..... and for including pictures! :kiss2: This decision is tougher than I thought it would be and your comment, and everyone’s comments, are definitely helping!

It’s an impossible decision. Why do you think I have at least one from each of them? :lol-2:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Single or double prongs or bezeled, milgrain or polished, diamonds in the gallery or plain or filigree etc are certainly tweaks he will be willing to make.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
32FB06AF-E250-4094-8926-DA7B3DDA2B71.jpeg
CvB set: beautifully made yet not as expected.The bad communication tainted the project for me and I find her work expensive for CAD rings

Last edited:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
60774744-2F08-4620-8F55-C929DCC53E8D.jpeg 0F90B461-AEAC-4504-A340-9E863BDE943F.jpeg 55E04A11-44B8-4B0D-808A-BB16465DFC42.jpeg 2D1E1F41-B543-4E77-A6C2-4752B32B13FA.jpeg 509D3B8B-84F1-470F-AA99-0DB4CFB86F55.jpeg
David Klass is a jeweller chameleon: he can make anything you like. He does not have a specific style. I agree with @elle_71125 that communicating with him is very smooth though as I said in my prior post that he nowadays seems to be more difficult to reach for the first contact/ quote? There is a reason why he is the PS darling: his pricing is great and his quality very high. I can really recommend working with him.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2F9B259C-0A2C-4ADC-BF02-4A09A3D34979.jpeg 6DE3B5ED-2BC2-4CFD-90DA-493D7E79502A.jpeg 88A4BD6A-39C5-4FF5-B5BA-2D78E40971C1.jpeg
My haute couture rings by Victor Canera. Working with him is a great experience: I did 4 projects with him and he seems to be able to read your mind. I always enjoy wearing one of his rings

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
32FB06AF-E250-4094-8926-DA7B3DDA2B71.jpeg
CvB set: beautifully made yet not as expected.The bad communication tainted the project for me and I find her work expensive for CAD rings

I can understand that. It is a pretty ring, but I can see how it differs from your other rings in that this one seems more dainty. And the feelings associated with it can surely make a difference. Thanks for sharing it.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I went with DK I might be able to get a setting later this year. If I went with VC, it might be another year plus away. But I want to get what I want once I decide what it is I want. Hmmm.... I’m very “wanty.” :lol-2:

Also, if I went with DK, I’d have to rely heavily on everyone here to help with CADs. It seems easier to pick a style and go with it ala DK or CvB.

Fun decisions are to be had. :roll2:

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

He absolutely will tweak certain aspects of his designs (e.g., number of prongs, adding a cathedral setting or pave, etc.). I would completely trust him with anything pertaining to size or proportion, as he is truly a master at his craft!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results