shape
carat
color
clarity

Colour effect on a diamond set in onyx

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi and thank you in advance for any advice or help anyone can give.

I am planning a future ring project. I don't have the budget to carry out the whole project at the moment but may be able to buy the centre stone if anything looks promising. I'm planning an art deco influenced style, with a central OEC in an onyx surround (and possibly a coloured stone halo round the edge, but that might be me running away with myself! :Up_to_something: ), set in a white metal (ideally platinum but budget dependent). I have CvB in mind for the setting as the stone halos on the website look stunningly worked (and I'm waiting on a band from her at the moment so can see first hand too).

Could anyone advise me on whether they think setting a lower colour diamond in onyx would make the stone appear whiter than it would in a solitaire setting because of the contrast with the black stone, or whether you think it could make it seem more ivory/yellow than it would otherwise? I'm trying to get an idea of what colour range to look at and was originally thinking I or J as I thought I'd like a fairly crisp contrast, but I'm wondering if going to an L or even M would save my budget a bit, especially if the contrast with onyx could make the diamond seem whiter? Or, to throw more into the mix, if my budget can stretch I'd love an aquamarine halo around the onyx (small baguettes or french cut?) and I was wondering if a yellow toned diamond with the black onyx and blue aquamarine might actually look quite nice. I'm dreadful at imagining combinations so any thoughts to help me envisage things would be very welcome!

I'm thinking of a diamond in the 5mm to 6mm range (probably the lower half of that range so that the overall ring doesn't end up too large by the time the onyx surround is factored in). If there's any good ones out there at the moment I'd appreciate recommendations but equally I don't have the budget to do the whole ring at the moment so waiting for the right one isn't a problem - I'm the kind of person who likes to have a plan so it would be great just to have input on what kind of colour range could work best for the moment, then I at least know what I'm aiming for!

Thanks for any help and opinions!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here's a picture I found of an antique ring that is very much the kind of thing I'm planning, if it helps.

an_art_deco_diamond_emerald_and_onyx_ring_d5592988h.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd stick with I-J color for your center stone surrounded by onyx. You want contrast from black to white, I would think, and a lower color might look a little dingy. I do think CVB is the right one to make it. All those custom cut stones will be expensive, but it would be a magnificent ring. I'd definitely use platinum. This is a great project!

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Hey Lissyflo,

Love your project. The inspiration ring is STUNNING.

I agree that a whiter stone looks better with the onyx. But for comparison's sake and since you say you're having trouble imagining colour combos (I would too), here are some rings JbG has done in onyx with warm stones:

1. An M-coloured asscher:

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/custom-work/97ct-antique-asscher-cut-diamond-with-an-onyx-surround#.V2viCFfYklY

1. a fancy yellow:

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/custom-work/81ct-fancy-yellow-old-european-cut-diamond-onyx-surround-setting#.V2violfYklY

Hope this helps, and do keep us updated! I'll be so curious to see the result. BTW totally worth going for the gemstone outer halo IMO...

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the replies diamondseeker and Fulvia.

The JbG rings are quite similar to another antique ring I emailed to CvB to get an idea of pricing so really helpful to see more - I do love that style but think I agree, Fulvia, that I should save for longer and definitely do the outer coloured stone halo too. I also think you're both right about sticking with a higher colour to get a stronger contrast with the onyx. Blast, that's a longer wait on both scores while I save! Must start reciting to myself the line I tell my kids about the best things in life normally being the things you work hard for or have to wait for.....

If anyone happens to come across a stone in the range I'm looking for at a reasonable price over the next couple of months, please let me know. Thanks!

And I'll definitely post pictures when I get it done!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do love antique onyx rings! This will be a project worth doing right and waiting for! I have some similar antique ring pictures saved. I'd love to make one someday!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think up to a J/K will really pop white against the black, my white facing L looks O.K too but anything mid coloured ie a slightly yellow tinted stone will pop yellow in contrast rather than hiding it. I have a few pieces of black Onyx with holes in them, here is a pic, the large French cut next to the Onyx is over 1 carat and around an I/J in colour, the two smaller French cuts which have not been set, they are just sitting in pre-carved holes in the Onyx are a H/I, they all look a lot whiter in person against the black than in the first photo which was taken indoors and is reflecting back the red of my Iphone... sorry the second photo is out of focus but this is how they look colourwise, a crisp white next to the Onyx....

img_12006.jpg

img_12007.jpg

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's really helpful to see a real life shot rather than a beauty shot. Thanks, Arkieb1! That colour range definitely looks white against the black and the contrast REALLY makes the diamonds pop. Love it!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems like onyx (or black backgrounds) can make the yellow more pronounced... Have you considered dark blue (like a sapphire)? It seems the blue tones down the yellow better than black.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have an MRB I with a black diamond halo and I feel like it's made the diamond appear more white.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1467044732|4048813 said:
I have an MRB I with a black diamond halo and I feel like it's made the diamond appear more white.

athena, I guess I should've mentioned that it was an L/M MRB that I saw IRL... not an I/J color, like the OP was thinking about. :halo:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to have the diamond bezel set in a central cut-out of one piece of onyx, so the black part would be one smooth surface to contrast with the halo of smaller individual stones. If this isn't possible, dark sapphires around it are a great idea! And actually the ring in the inspiration picture seems to have lots of individual onyx stones rather than one carved piece so this could work I assume.

Ooohh, a black diamond halo! Sounds amazing! This site should come with (wallet) safety warnings........

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results