shape
carat
color
clarity

Colors you''d never wear to a wedding (as a guest)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was browsing another forum for ideas of what to wear to a wedding this summer, and I was surprised to see so many "never wear _______ to a wedding!" comments... with colors I never knew were a "faux pas" for such an event!

So, what about you? What colors would you not feel comfortable wearing to a wedding, and why? Are there exceptions for certain seasons/hours of the day (morning vs. evening, etc)?

ETA: Ooh, also please post your idea of a great wedding guest outfit, if you feel so inclined!
9.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Yes. My thread recently....
2.gif

a) Complete white
b) Black (uninterrupted...i.e a black skirt with a color top)
c) Bright red (not burgandy)

ETA (regardless of season and time of day)

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I wouldn''t wear anything white, ivory, silver, or any other color close enough to white that it''d possibly distract other guests, I wouldn''t wear black unless it was an extremely formal evening wedding and I had colorful accessories to break it up, and I''m iffy on red. I tend to prefer cool colored cocktail dresses, something blue or purple, and metallic accessories. For anything black tie, navy tends to be my go to because it''s dark enough to still be really formal, but it isn''t black.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
The only colours I wouldn''t wear to a wedding are white and ivory (unless there''s a coloured print). I''ve actually worn a long white dress with a black print on it to a wedding and was complimented by the bride''s mother. And I''ve also worn an all-black dress to another wedding...hopefully I wasn''t committing a big faux-pas
40.gif

To be perfectly honest, as long as you''re wearing something age- and event-appropriate (i.e. not black tie and a casual reception or vice versa), then wear whatever you want! For this summer wedding season, I''d love to find a great silk floral number that hits just above the knee.
1.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I would never wear plain white print, unless specifically told to do so. It doesn't necessarily bother me, but I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, seeing as it bothers many other people.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t wear white, cream, ivory, or any color or pattern that looks too much like what the bride will be wearing (e.g. black-and-white printed dress would probably be okay, but a cream-and-silver print might not be).

I give black and red both a thumbs up, as long as both colors are worn in a wedding-appropriate way. If your red dress makes other guests think "lady of the night" when they see you, it is probably not appropriate. Black can be made to look more festive with colorful or metallic shoes and a fun clutch or wrap.

As far as ideal outfits go, I like when guests wear solid colors. For some reason, certain prints look too busy to me, especially in group photos. However, as long as people are dressed appropriately for the occasion, what they wear within that realm doesn''t matter too much to me.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Wouldn't wear white, pastels bc they don't look good on me.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t do white, ivory, cream, or any sort of those colors. Personally, if I knew what colors the BM''s were wearing, I''d avoid that color too. I would also avoid really loud prints.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 3:21:21 PM
Author: allycat0303
Yes. My thread recently....
2.gif

a) Complete white
b) Black (uninterrupted...i.e a black skirt with a color top)
c) Bright red (not burgandy)

ETA (regardless of season and time of day)
Ditto.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m shocked that black is sometimes considered a faux pas!

I''ve been wearing black to weddings for as long as I can remember, and I''m definitely never alone. (Assuming it''s an evening, dressy wedding)

It''s such a flattering color that I''d be disappointed if it was banned!

White/Cream/Ivory or anything "bridal" would be a faux pas to me.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
My two no-no:

1). Complete white as Ally said. I''m ok with a white dress and some sort of design depending on the season, venue, and time of day (i.e. Spring/Summer, outdoor/garden-y wedding, mid afternoon).

2). Red

I used to not be ok with black but when you''re a big girl, black is the most flattering color. I learned how true this is while looking for BM dresses for myself. I could try on one style of dress is all kinds of color but the one that always looked best was black because it hid all the imperfections. It may be tacky from an etiquette stand point but if I have guests that feel the same as I do then I rather they be comfortable in a dress that makes them feel beautiful than be uncomfortable because of a "rule." Happy people = happy pictures
9.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 3:55:28 PM
Author: elledizzy5

I''ve been wearing black to weddings for as long as I can remember, and I''m definitely never alone. (Assuming it''s an evening, dressy wedding)

White/Cream/Ivory or anything ''bridal'' would be a faux pas to me.
That''s how I''ve always felt, too! I''m also surprised about red, just shows what I know.

I''m also a bit nervous about my only in-closet option, which is a very light silver/grey. Probably only because of Freke''s gown
9.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
No:

White
Va-va-voom red

Other than that, I can''t think of anything! BF''s cousin is getting married in NYC in December, and I''m pretty confident that (if we''re invited *fingers crossed*) I''ll be wearing an LBD to that. It really just depends on the wedding (season, formality, etc.) and the group of people. But then...maybe I''ll go with purple, just to stand out a little, lol.

I actually heard that you''re not supposed to wear a long dress as a guest, which shocked me. I really really really hate my legs and won''t show them off if I don''t absolutely have to, so the return of the maxi dress was super exciting when I went to my friend''s wedding last summer.

E B

Ideal_Rock
White or any off-white shade, unless it''s a base for a colorful floral or large print or something.

Ditto! I thought black was always appropriate for formal, evening events.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
No to:
white, ivory, cream, etc.
bright red
Or anything like what the bridal party might be wearing (ex: sky blue knee length dress)

I think black is ok so long as it's wedding/time appropriate, however if you're an ex of the groom and you show up in a black dress, black accessories and a black hat with a black veil or anything similar--not appropriate.

ETA: I like to wear greens, blues and purples! With heels! (Duh)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 4:15:32 PM
Author: princesss
I actually heard that you''re not supposed to wear a long dress as a guest, which shocked me. I really really really hate my legs and won''t show them off if I don''t absolutely have to, so the return of the maxi dress was super exciting when I went to my friend''s wedding last summer.
Me TOO!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
White, cream, ivory...

Black surprises me, I find it to be a commonly worn staple at formal weddings.

It never occured to me before, but yes, I''d agree with In your face - red.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d never wear anything plain white, cream or ivory for fear of upsetting the bride! Anything else I''d wear.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 4:07:28 PM
Author: musey

That''s how I''ve always felt, too! I''m also surprised about red, just shows what I know.

I''m also a bit nervous about my only in-closet option, which is a very light silver/grey. Probably only because of Freke''s gown
9.gif
MUSEY! I just saw this now! You should totally come to my wedding AND wear that dress (because if 15 people (75% blood related)don''t know who the bride is, then they have issues that I can''t begin to comprehend!)!! And because I don''t care!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
White on both top and bottom. Other than that, any colour goes. I mostly wear black, grey, and red.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I would never wear white, ivory, or any pale colours. I would also steer away from solid black, but that''s about it. I think if you are classy and respectful, you can''t go wrong.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 4:15:32 PM
Author: princesss
No:

White
Va-va-voom red

Other than that, I can''t think of anything! BF''s cousin is getting married in NYC in December, and I''m pretty confident that (if we''re invited *fingers crossed*) I''ll be wearing an LBD to that. It really just depends on the wedding (season, formality, etc.) and the group of people. But then...maybe I''ll go with purple, just to stand out a little, lol.

Gosh, I hope this wasn''t from my thread!
8.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I went shopping with my daughter on Saturday and we got her a beautiful black formal short dress, so I hope it''s okay because she''s wearing it to a wedding next weekend!!!

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't wear any variation of white or champage - essentially anything the bride could be wearing. I had heard black was also a no-no, but then I saw a bunch of women wearing black to every wedding I went to. So, I think black is ok, but I still haven't worn black.

ETA: I'm also iffy about patterned white.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 5:45:43 PM
Author: honey22
I would never wear white, ivory, or any pale colours. I would also steer away from solid black, but that''s about it. I think if you are classy and respectful, you can''t go wrong.
Ditto.

Even though plenty of people wear black to weddings nowadays, I would still throw on a colored cardigan or accessories to break it up a bit.

diamondgirl4382

Shiny_Rock
I used to not wear black to weddings, but at every wedding I''ve been to it seemed like 50-75% of all female guests wore a little black dress. At the last wedding I went to the mother of the groom''s dress was mostly black. So I''ve now realized that black is just elegant and almost always appropriate. I think the only color I wouldn''t wear is pure white, but I think white with another color is ok. I probably also wouldn''t wear bright red but I would definitely wear a darker red.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 5:15:22 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Date: 5/26/2009 4:07:28 PM
Author: musey

9.gif
MUSEY! I just saw this now! You should totally come to my wedding AND wear that dress (because if 15 people (75% blood related)don''t know who the bride is, then they have issues that I can''t begin to comprehend!)!! And because I don''t care!
lol
3.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 6:10:25 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Well, I went shopping with my daughter on Saturday and we got her a beautiful black formal short dress, so I hope it''s okay because she''s wearing it to a wedding next weekend!!!

LBD''s are timeless, and it would take a while for me to come up with a social situation in which is was totally inappropriate. I''m sure your daughter will look stunning.

And no, brightlight, don''t worry, I''d heard that last year *after* I bought the dress. One of the girls I worked with told me you weren''t supposed to wear a long dress as a guest. Luckily my friend was the lowest-stress bride I''ve ever met, and I was super confident the only thing she cared about was getting married and having her friends and family there to celebrate. If she even remembered what I wore I''d be shocked!

diamondgirl4382

Shiny_Rock
Honestly, the only outfits that ever stood out to me as being inappropriate at any wedding I''ve been to are a couple of girls wearing really really short skirts, and people wearing denim.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 9:28:44 PM
Author: diamondgirl4382
Honestly, the only outfits that ever stood out to me as being inappropriate at any wedding I''ve been to are a couple of girls wearing really really short skirts, and people wearing denim.
I''ve always wondered about this. No matter how formal the wedding is, there''s always a random couple wearing inappropriately casual clothing - jeans, flip-flops, hoochie gear.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results