shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored stones for men?

Joel21

Rough_Rock
Is it socially acceptable for men to wear colored stones on their rings? I've had a suspicion that maybe those stones are just for women, but I would like to get other people's opinion here.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not? It is the design that makes it more feminine, masculine or neutral. The only concern is that most men do not remove their jewellery before doing hard work with their hands, thus increasing the risk of damage to the stone.

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
I think colored stones for men are a wonderful thing. There are too few men with the style and grace to wear great jewelry. My father was a lover of colored stones and wore them with class. We definitely need more men with the confidence to rock a colored rock nowadays.
Here's a photo of one of my dad's pinky rings I inherited with a couple of natural star sapphires and single cut diamonds.

img_20161118_103213308_hdr.jpg

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think some men can wear a stone better than others. Personally, I don't own a single stone.

King Errisson, the percussionist for Neil Diamond has a stone I cut for him, and wears it all the time, and wears it well.

kingstone.png

kingconcert.png

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
There was a time when any flashy ring was considered inappropriate for gentlemen, who were expected to wear nothing but a plain wedding ring and perhaps a gold signet ring, possibly one with an intaglio stone of something unsparkly like carnelian. There was also a time when a gentleman was expected to dress in formal wear for dinner. I think all these strictures probably disappeared around the same time.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
I think it was diamonds that were considered really vulgar for men. Here is Emily Post's ruling from 1922:
" In your jewelry let diamonds be conspicuous by their absence. Nothing is more vulgar than a display of “ice” on a man’s shirt front, or on his fingers.
A watch chain should be very thin and a man’s ring is usually a seal ring of plain gold or a dark stone. If a man wears a jewel at all it should be sunk into a plain “gypsy hoop” setting that has no ornamentation, and worn on his “little,” not his third, finger."

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joel21|1479479460|4100155 said:
Is it socially acceptable for men to wear colored stones on their rings? I've had a suspicion that maybe those stones are just for women, but I would like to get other people's opinion here.

Define 'socially acceptable'.
You can't.

Some people would accept it, others not.

You must decide.

Dakota

Rough_Rock
I don't think it's a social or fashion faux pas, but it is a personal preference. I personally think darker colors are in order here, like what that percussionist has, but again, it's a personal preference.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Exactly right, Kenny. Standards of "social acceptability" change with the times and are ultimately personal.

Joel21

Rough_Rock
It's great to see that a lot of people here are all for wearing colored stones, as long as it makes you happy. I think from now on I will stop worrying what everyone else would think or say and just do what I think will make me happy. If it looks good on me, then why not?

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In Asia, it's not unusual for men to wear colored stones and common in gem countries like Thailand, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, etc. In Singapore, Hongkong, and China, many men wear jade rings.

Apart from jade, I've seen rings for men use black stones like spinel and onyx, blue and yellow sapphires, emerald, among others.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My grandfather's wedding ring was gold and had a large rectangular onyx with a diamond and a ruby in the Onyx (I wish I had a pic as it is actually something I remember quite well). It was a masculine ring for sure and done well.

As for myself, I love colored stones and wouldn't buy myself a regular diamond - my original wedding band had grey diamonds until it went walkabouts and I am looking at replacing it but not sure if I want to get anything with a stone. I would get a black opal if I didn't use my hands like hammers, if I had money I would get a top quality Alexandrite and not care what anyone thinks.

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I personally feel that of course men should be able to wear colored gemstones in jewelry and I think it comes down to how the gem is set. The setting that the gem is going into will have a huge bearing on whether the jewelry item has a masculine or feminine feel.

Joel21

Rough_Rock
I've always admired men who are so comfortable with their masculinity that they don't worry about what people would say if they wore certain things. I love that more and more guys are choosing to wear whatever they feel like no matter what society says.

DDOC

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have seen and made a lot of mens jewellery with Emeralds, Rubies, Sapphires and Diamonds. A few with black opal to.
Onyx and synthetic red and blue were really popular in the 70's, Diamonds in the 80's.
It was common in Roman times for wealthy men to have large stones, often Carnelian intaglios or fancy gems.
Pretty much anything you like and enjoy, who cares what other people think.

Joel21

Rough_Rock
I've been looking at a lot of rings, and I have to say that my favorite stone is black opal and I think that's the one that I'm going to go with.

Really? Is it socially acceptable for women to play soccer? Sorry, if I am out of line here again but ....

Joel21

Rough_Rock
I don't think you're out of line, I've learnt to respect everyone's opinions, but I'm not sure I understand your question...

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are here- on a colored gemstone forum and I assume you are a man. So yes- a colored gemstone is for you just as it is for any man or woman who loves beauty. The good news is that (IMHO) men can reach beyond the boxy, yellow gold settings of the past and really create some amazing and masculine colored gemstone rings. Many forum members have used amazing designers to create unique pieces and they will be happy to guide you if you would like.

I do want to advice you to look beyond the traditional "masculine" gemstones that are marketed for men. For example I have seen vendors describe overly dark and saturated gemstones as "masculine." If you like darker toned stones (and some can be outstanding) then the marketing may appeal to you. But with that said, all gemstones that are durable enough for your lifestyle should be considered. Can you tell us what gems appeal to you?

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Just keep in mind that Opal cannot take much punishment as it is quite a soft gemstone. In saying that they are my favourite too!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As already mentioned by the others, in certain parts of the world, it is common for gents to wear CSs.

For me personally, I like tasteful jewellery on a gent, be it CS, pearl, diamond or otherwise.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results