shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored stone in old engagement ring solitaire setting

eiger

Rough_Rock
I traded in my old diamond for a new ring but I kept my old setting because it has sentimental value. I am trying to decide what to put in the setting in place of a diamond. I could do a cubic zirconia...but I was thinking a colored stone might be nicer since I am already getting a new diamond ring.

The setting is a four prong solitaire with 7 very small pave set stones down either side of the band. It is platinum and it used to hold a 1.71 carat round diamond. Would a pretty square cut ur emerald stone look nice? Am I right in thinking that the head could be changed out to fit something other than a round stone? I am wondering if anyone might have done this before and had a picture.

Because I am already getting a new upgraded engagement ring, I don't care if the stone in this ring is natural or man made. I just don't want the ring to LOOK like I took my old engagement ring and threw in a colored stone. I want it to look intentional. Any ideas? Any thoughts on color?

Thank you.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a budget and colour preference/s? We really need to know before we can advise much. Colour is very personal. Durable gems like sapphire/ruby, chrysoberyl and spinel are durable enough for daily wear.

I have no experience with settings but other's will answer those questions :wavey:

Edited for typos.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Challenge 1: It has to be round (rounds are uncommon for coloured stones). A square emerald cut is even rarer in a coloured stone unless you have it custom cut.
Challenge 2: It has to be a specific mm size and you have to take the depth of the setting into consideration. Coloured stones are always cut deeper than diamonds, even if well cut due to their different characteristics/properties.

1. What is your budget?
2. How much time do you have?
3. What is the metal colour of the setting? With coloured stones, metal colour can either make the stone look fab or just "kill" it.
4. What is the allowable mm size needed to fit the setting?

We are not allowed to discuss man made stones here.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you show us photos of the ring? It sounds lovely! I vote for a colored gemstone if you have the budget, but I'm sure you knew I'd think that way :cheeky:

eiger

Rough_Rock
I think I have been misunderstood. I meant I would like to change the head on the ring and put in either a square or emerald shaped stone. Maybe even a cushion shaped stone. Can the head be changed so that a non-round stone can be used? The ring is platinum and I am definitely not looking for a sapphire, emerald, or ruby.

My budget is a couple of hundred dollars or less. Like I stated, I upgraded my engagement ring and am left with the setting from my old ring. I just thought it would be nice to wear the ring by having a stone substituted for the diamond that used to be there. Better that then tossing the setting away since it has sentimental value to me.

I will post a pic when I get home.

If the head cannot be changed, does that mean I have to put in a round stone that is the equivalent size as the original diamond? Are colored stones too deep? If I want to wear this frequently are there stones I should avoid?

Or perhaps I should be looking for answers on a forum about lab created stones.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can't know if the head could be changed without seeing if the ring has a peg head or an integrated head. If it has a peg head, then yes of course it can be changed. If not, it would be more complicated, but that's not necessarily a no.

CirrusClouds

Rough_Rock
Trade
If you are looking to wear the jewelry frequently, there are definitely stones you want to avoid. If it's going to be worn daily, I suggest a careful pick on a colored stone.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The head can likely be changed if you have an experienced bench, but will probably cost you a couple hundred dollars for just that part (in my experience, with a reasonably priced jeweller). I think it's worth it, personally, and you could find a coloured stone for a hundred or two more, depending on colour/preferences/etc. More so than a CZ, especially given your initial statement.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's possible, because I've done it (asscher to round, and round to asscher actually) but we'd have to see the setting to know more.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Changing the head will definitely allow more flexibility from a round to a different shape but it will depend on whether it is an integrated head or a peg head. A picture or two will be very helpful. I also agree with NKTOB that just changing the head is likely to cost you over $100 alone.

More questions:
1. How often are you planning to wear this ring? Everyday? A few times a week? Less often?
2. What activities will you do with the ring on? Active or sedentary?

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe this is a silly question, but if a four-prong setting is made for a round stone, why couldn't it be used for a non-pointy-cornered stone (ideally cut-cornered square, so the prongs would anchor it well, but maybe cushion if there are double prongs) with the same diagonal dimension as the diameter of the (former) round stone?

screen_shot_2014-11-13_at_1.png

E.g., a 7.5mm round setting should also fit a 5.3mm square, if I've done my math right.

Echoing the calls for photos of your lovely setting. :)

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
evergreen|1415914316|3782858 said:
E.g., a 7.5mm round setting should also fit a 5.3mm square, if I've done my math right.

that math was certainly not right :rolleyes: lol a 7.5mm round setting will fit a 7.5mm square not 5.3 (and i know how u derived to 5.3) :razz: it's diameter vs side which is the same. just measure the pictures u drew. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

since it was a round head before, as long as the cushion/emerald cut has a close to 1:1 L/W ratio then it should work. but if it's gonna be a rectangular looking stone then you might not be able to stretch the prongs out to fit the new stone.
it all depends on what OP ends up getting

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
First up, the round is 8.3mm spinel and the asscher is a 7.9mm spinel. This setting originally held a cushion, I don't remember the size (it wasn't mine!)

Second, 6.2mm asscher to 7mm round.

So, 4 prong settings should probably be ok, but it just depends on how your ring is structured.

big_blue_2.jpg

pink_13.jpg

_24104.jpg

_24105.jpg

ganache

Rough_Rock
I'm of no help here, sorry, just had to say... my goodness FrekeChild, your rings are absolutely stunning! The settings and stones compliment each other so beautifully, not to mention the bands. :angel:

eiger

Rough_Rock
Oh my gosh! Those rings with colored stones are beautiful! I even love the one with the round stone and I expected that a round stone that WASN'T a diamond would look strange. All this has really got me thinking that maybe I should print for a nice colored stone instead of just "anything" that will fill the bill!

Sooooo... I guess i really wasn't paying attention all these years while wearing my old diamond! It seems the head is NOT the kind that I would expect could be easily swapped out! Perhaps I am stuck with it the way it is - but maybe that isn't so bad if I can find anise stone that will fit in the existing head (I love the pink Ascher!)

Perhaps someone could suggest a type of stone that is durable enough to wear every day - but also inexpensive? As I mentioned, I am upgrading my diamond engagement ring and putting money into that. Fitting something into my old engagement ring setting was an after thought - although with the pictures I've seen on this thread I'm starting to get kind of excited about this "little" colored stone project.

img_0065.jpg img_0064_0.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
ganache|1415924236|3782990 said:
I'm of no help here, sorry, just had to say... my goodness FrekeChild, your rings are absolutely stunning! The settings and stones compliment each other so beautifully, not to mention the bands. :angel:
Awwww, thank you! These are all some of my favorites, so they have special places in my heart. I hope the OP can find something to make her happy!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What colors do you like? What colors do you hate? And what's the dimension of your stone?

Love that setting btw, it's beautiful!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'd probably have to stay with a round based on the pictures of the setting. A cushion might fit but it is too risky and too limiting because you have to take the width (and angle) of the corners into consideration which just makes trying to find the right colour AND size a huge order to fill.

In terms of durable and affordable ring stones, chrysoberyl tops the list but only comes in chartreuse (mixture of green and yellow).
Blue topaz is very attractive as long as you are aware and okay that it is irradiated.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
What are your favorite colors? And what is "inexpensive?"

You mentioned the diamond was 1.7 carats, so around 7.5-7.7 mm-ish in diameter?

I think in your shoes I'd be looking at spinel. :)

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Some options --
I'd personally go for a greenish yellow chrysoberyl... yummy.
A grey-blue spinel or medium pink spinel would also work well. Depends on what colour you like.
Topaz is chippy, or so I've read, and may need to be replaced if it gets damaged.
You have already said that you don't want a sapphire or ruby but those are also options.

A budget and the mm size of the previous diamond would allow us to look for stones with you. What's the most you'd be willing to spend? Take into account a setting fee.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IIRC, the OP said a few hundred dollars or less, so for just shy of 8 mm, this equates to an over 2 carat stone which effectively strikes sapphire and ruby out of the ballpark. Spinel is doable if she likes unique colours that are steely or skin toned. Topaz might be chippy but easily replaceable and cheap enough to replace.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1415982700|3783476 said:
IIRC, the OP said a few hundred dollars or less, so for just shy of 8 mm, this equates to an over 2 carat stone which effectively strikes sapphire and ruby out of the ballpark. Spinel is doable if she likes unique colours that are steely or skin toned. Topaz might be chippy but easily replaceable and cheap enough to replace.

When she started getting excited about CS I thought maybe she had upped her budget :bigsmile:

eiger

Rough_Rock
Hi,
Just to clarify - I am purchasing a really nice diamond ring - this is just an afterthought. I was going to trade in my old diamond engagement ring, but then I asked the jeweler if I could keep the setting in exchange for a couple of hundred dollars and he said yes. So I get to keep my old engagement ring setting for sentimental value. I do NOT want to spend much on a new stone for it ($200 max!). I was thinking of a CZ - but then I thought that maybe I can find something a bit more fun in a genuine, but still inexpensive colored stone. So -rubies, emeralds, and sapphires are OUT! If you know of an inexpensive variety of gemstone that can be found in a round cut (since i guess I am limited a round stone to fit the old setting) and is tough enough to take frequent wear, let me know.

If there is no such thing, then I'll look at inexpensive fake stones (hopefully some of them are hard enough).

I really like the examples posted in this thread. I was worried that an old engagement ring setting repurposed for a colored stone would look a bit like a wedding dress died pink and used for cocktail parties (kind of silly looking). Obviously, colored stones in engagement ring settings can look quite nice.

I do not have preference for stone color yet; first, I am trying to figure out what variety of stones will work and then I will look at what colors they come in. I like the icy blue look - but the vivid yellows and shades of pink are nice too. Tell me if there is a type of stone that fits the bill.

thank you all

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
eiger|1416030764|3783949 said:
Hi,
Just to clarify - I am purchasing a really nice diamond ring - this is just an afterthought. I was going to trade in my old diamond engagement ring, but then I asked the jeweler if I could keep the setting in exchange for a couple of hundred dollars and he said yes. So I get to keep my old engagement ring setting for sentimental value. I do NOT want to spend much on a new stone for it ($200 max!). I was thinking of a CZ - but then I thought that maybe I can find something a bit more fun in a genuine, but still inexpensive colored stone. So -rubies, emeralds, and sapphires are OUT! If you know of an inexpensive variety of gemstone that can be found in a round cut (since i guess I am limited a round stone to fit the old setting) and is tough enough to take frequent wear, let me know.

If there is no such thing, then I'll look at inexpensive fake stones (hopefully some of them are hard enough).

I really like the examples posted in this thread. I was worried that an old engagement ring setting repurposed for a colored stone would look a bit like a wedding dress died pink and used for cocktail parties (kind of silly looking). Obviously, colored stones in engagement ring settings can look quite nice.

I do not have preference for stone color yet; first, I am trying to figure out what variety of stones will work and then I will look at what colors they come in. I like the icy blue look - but the vivid yellows and shades of pink are nice too. Tell me if there is a type of stone that fits the bill.

thank you all

Ok. I hope your new engagement ring project goes well -- you're welcome to post it and the coloured stone ring, when they're finished, on the Show me the bling board.

You have few options. I looked around a bit but couldn't find nice spinels or chrysoberyls that were 7.5-7.8mm rounds that were in-budget. Despite it's popularity, rounds aren't too common in gemstones because cutters would usually prefer to save weight by cutting an oval or pear shape. Then, finding those exact dimensions takes time.

That said, topaz could work. It's inexpensive. You could buy 2 in case one get's damaged. Kinda hard to find them without windows...
http://www.gemselect.com/topaz/topaz-389779.php

A softer option is amethyst. A deeper purple would cost more. Some are fond of lighter toned purples:
http://www.gemselect.com/amethyst/amethyst-389379.php
http://www.gemselect.com/amethyst/amethyst-389259.php

Maybe someone else will find a more durable stone that will fit the bill.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try John Rhoads, He has a rhodolite garnet 8mm for $81 and a round chryso (maybe too large? 8.5mm - I asked him about the color on this one, he says is much more yellow than his picture)

http://www.djraregems.com/finegems.html

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is suitable for everyday wear is kind of subjective. Depends on one's lifestyle and tolerance for signs of wear that might not be visible to the eye. Even diamonds can chip (I KNOW as I have two pre-owned ones given to me that are - but its not noticeable without a loupe and they are beautiful stones so I have no problems wearing).

If you don't see the stone as a major investment and can be worn with reasonable care (i.e. deskwork, take off when doing housework), I would go for a stone in your budget that has the color and play that speaks to you..and not rule out things like garnets, tourmalines, amethysts, etc. Once you get a better idea of what you want and if you can't find, try posting in the preloved section and keep watch on DB/LT for a possible deal. Also look at dk168's "relatively inexpensive project post" for of ideas - this is with 8mm stones :)

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
First up, the round is 8.3mm spinel and the asscher is a 7.9mm spinel. This setting originally held a cushion, I don't remember the size (it wasn't mine!)

Second, 6.2mm asscher to 7mm round.

So, 4 prong settings should probably be ok, but it just depends on how your ring is structured.

big_blue_2.jpg

pink_13.jpg

_24104.jpg

_24105.jpg

Hi there, digging up posts from the past! But I am wondering about this square to round dilemma.

I wonder if a Tacori meant to fit a square Asscher/emerald will fit a round if the side of the square and the diameter of the round are the same? It’s not a peg head. Thanks

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results