shape
carat
color
clarity

Color Zoning

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a current thread on emeralds there is a discussion of color zoning. I have a pair of sapphire earrings for which I overpaid. I love the color (a blue grey), but they were just not worth what I paid. I wasn''t even sure they were sapphires until I sent them to Dave Atlas and he said they were. They looked like glass with paint splashed on it under a loupe. I really thought that that was what they *might* have been! I haven''t looked at them with a loupe in a while, but I will try to do so and explain what I mean.

If I get my camera back in shape I may even be able to photograph the stones and *SHOW* you what I mean. (The stones are now set, though, so that may not work out.)

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hello AGBF,
Yep, thanks in advance, it will be nice to see them!
Color zoning is very frequent in sapphires and especially in blue stones...
All the best,

TooMuchInformation

Rough_Rock
AGBF,

Thanks for pointing this out. I've seen this before when looking at a stone that I can't recall at the moment (it probably was a saphire), and I'm glad to know that this could infact be color zoning, because it looked quite strange.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish this amount of zoning would turn sapphires cheap: the cut would "average out" the color beautifully for a bargain...

There a few more examples on Africagems if you want to try them, TooMuch
2.gif

Just a question of semantics here: is bicoloring in sapphire called "color zoning" too? I am used to hear this term describing the colored marks of growth zones and twinning planes, but bi-coloring can also come in growth zones... I was just wandering.

zone.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results