shape
carat
color
clarity

Color vs Clarity ( I have 48 hours to decide...)

nodeulee

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone I am back again.

I am in need of desperate help.
I have been getting mixed feelings to what is more important "color" or "clarity".

I am looking at 2 Diamonds both eye clean, and both 2 carats at James Allen.
I wish I can link the two diamonds for you, but they are both on "hold" so I cannot access the diamond link for you guys however I am attaching the GIA / HCA for both.

1. Diamond (2 Carats) I color SI1 (eye clean verified- no ASET / IDEAL Scope image available)
2 car hca.JPG
cert 2 ct.jpeg

2. Diamond (2.04) J color VVS2 (eye clean verified- no ASET / IDEAL Scope image available) *** Diamond Inspector stated that this is very very WHITE for a J color diamond ***
2.04 hca.png
cert 2.04.jpeg

Here is where my dilemma lies...
both are similar carat size, one is an I that is an SI1 and other is a J VVS2 (about 800 dollars cheaper) but the SI1 has a lot of well... blemishes (which I don't know will be an issue with the fire).
Both diamonds when we looked at it side by side 20x magnification looked basically the same. Making the diamond images smaller.... even more similar.

I was up all night trying to find information to see if Color is more important than Clarity and it is a split down the middle and "personal preference" (which I honestly do not have right now since I have never owned a diamond).
I don't know if I should go the J route since it is cheaper and better clarity... but my boyfriend thinks Color is more important because of the price difference in the J and the I.
My setting will be the 6 prong solitaire in Platinum (Tiffany setting) and I don't know if the J color stone will pull off to warm or yellow...

We put the diamond on hold last night and we have 48 hours to make the decision.
He wants to pull the trigger within the 48 hour time frame and told me I need to make the decision (he said this is it. We are not looking at any more diamonds).
Oh, and he is not too "keen" on the idea of sending the diamond back if I don't like it because it seems like I am just marrying him for the Diamond... so which ever one I decide on, will be the final stone.

He basically told me last night that if I do not make the decision within the 48 hour mark, he is going to drive off tiffany and getting me a ring from there (and he would...)
PLEASE HELP ME TO STOP HIM FROM DOING SOMETHING CRAZY.

Everyone's honest opinion will be greatly appreciated.
Please help me pick from these 2 options (no new options please... even if you guys think these aren't ideal.. my Boyfriend will go crazy lol).

I will be watching this post like a hawk...

sorry for the long post (and if the pictures are huge)...

Thank you Everyone!

pandalicious

Rough_Rock
I'm not an expert by any means but I have been poring over pricescope religiously / obsessively for hours and hours over the past 3 weeks as part of my diamond search - I feel like I've been in your position ... but for 3 weeks in finding my "ideal" parameters. So I feel you on the sleepless nights ...

My (amateur) pick would be the J with the better clarity.

What I've learned through PS is that color is a deeply personal thing, in that for some people, they just don't notice the difference at all (Js and Ks seem to be popular on this forum and I personally really like them), and others are avid colorless fans.

My suggestion: do you have time today / tomorrow to look at some I and J diamonds in real life and assess your personal "color sensitivity"? Keeping in mind that your J is not a very tinted one, as well.

Also would note the J is slightly bigger and looks "big" for the 2 carat size, so that's a good thing right, considering it's $800 cheaper?

Others will have a more educated view on those particular inclusions :)

pandalicious

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the double post. I found some threads that might be helpful while you wait for the others to weigh in.

re: your question about Js in Platinum settings:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/j-color-stones-in-platinum.24731/

Here's a J in the Tiffany** (edit: Tiffany dupe, not Tiffany's sorry!) platinum setting, in your carat size:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...latinum-tiffany-solitaire-from-niceice.12734/

One of those "show me your J's" (there's a few on here) thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-js.170726/

Last edited:

nodeulee

Rough_Rock
I'm not an expert by any means but I have been poring over pricescope religiously / obsessively for hours and hours over the past 3 weeks as part of my diamond search - I feel like I've been in your position ... but for 3 weeks in finding my "ideal" parameters. So I feel you on the sleepless nights ...

My (amateur) pick would be the J with the better clarity.

What I've learned through PS is that color is a deeply personal thing, in that for some people, they just don't notice the difference at all (Js and Ks seem to be popular on this forum and I personally really like them), and others are avid colorless fans.

My suggestion: do you have time today / tomorrow to look at some I and J diamonds in real life and assess your personal "color sensitivity"? Keeping in mind that your J is not a very tinted one, as well.

Also would note the J is slightly bigger and looks "big" for the 2 carat size, so that's a good thing right, considering it's $800 cheaper?

Others will have a more educated view on those particular inclusions :)

The diamond inspector also recommended me to go look for myself but I am not able to go out to look at actual stones today and tomorrow (maybe I can somehow squeeze it in today or tomorrow... but with deadlines for work its highly unlikely). Thank you for your honest opinion ( I was leaning towards the bigger LOL but I wanted other peoples opinions too since BF and I are not on the same page lol :D)

nodeulee

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the double posts. I found some threads that might be helpful while you wait for the others to weigh in.

re: your question about Js in Platinum settings:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/j-color-stones-in-platinum.24731/

Here's a J in the Tiffany platinum setting, in your carat size:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...latinum-tiffany-solitaire-from-niceice.12734/

One of those "show me your J's" (there's a few on here) thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-js.170726/

THANK YOU! will be looking at these links now!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely go for the clarity. The colour difference between the 2 will not be perceptible to the naked eye, but the clarity will affect how it performs & how bright it looks.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Talk to JA and get them to send you the links to the stones and then post them here.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can speak to clarity and color as both have bothered me in the past. I had an I si2 that I was super happy with until my eyesight improved? I can’t explain it otherwise. But for a long time the I color bothered me way more. The tint. Then when I suddenly noticed the inclusion—after 2 years, lol, I started the upgrade process. I now own an E Si1 which so far is flawless to my eyes!!! So there are SI 1’s that are super clean and do not affect
Performance! The color is the whole diamond. The inclusions might be limited to certain spots that you can cover up.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This is all personal preference. The tint on both of those would bother me a lot and is very obvious to me, whatever the salesperson says. This isn't good or bad, but I am super color sensitive. I don't care about clarity unless it is glaring. To me the SI looks fine, but to someone more discerning it would bother them.

But if both color and clarity were important to me, I wouldn't get either. I am sorry your boyfriend is pressuring you. There are thousands upon thousands of options, so arbitrarily selecting to two due to impatience seems unneeded. I did that because I was eager, and ended with a diamond I didn't like at all in the end.

I would personally get a slightly smaller stone, with higher color and clarity. Price seems to jump at the 2 carat mark, so if you got something in the 1.85ish size, which you probably wouldn't even notice much, you could get something that meets your other criteria.

nodeulee

Rough_Rock
This is all personal preference. The tint on both of those would bother me a lot and is very obvious to me, whatever the salesperson says. This isn't good or bad, but I am super color sensitive. I don't care about clarity unless it is glaring. To me the SI looks fine, but to someone more discerning it would bother them.

But if both color and clarity were important to me, I wouldn't get either. I am sorry your boyfriend is pressuring you. There are thousands upon thousands of options, so arbitrarily selecting to two due to impatience seems unneeded. I did that because I was eager, and ended with a diamond I didn't like at all in the end.

I would personally get a slightly smaller stone, with higher color and clarity. Price seems to jump at the 2 carat mark, so if you got something in the 1.85ish size, which you probably wouldn't even notice much, you could get something that meets your other criteria.

I actually looked at some I,-F color diamonds in person and I personally couldn't tell between the I and the higher color grade (but then again I don't think I am as color sensitive?). I mean I could tell the difference when it was on top of the white paper, but comparing the stones side by side without the paper - I couldn't really tell. I just never saw a J color stone in person before. I've gone through so many options (lower carat, higher color, true hearts etc.) I saw so many... that every day my mind is changing (very indecisive person here :wavey:) so that is why my boyfriend is pretty firm on me choosing from the two. I am actually content with the two choices above. I just want some input on what others on PS feel is more important in a diamond :)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I actually looked at some I,-F color diamonds in person and I personally couldn't tell between the I and the higher color grade (but then again I don't think I am as color sensitive?). I mean I could tell the difference when it was on top of the white paper, but comparing the stones side by side without the paper - I couldn't really tell. I just never saw a J color stone in person before. I've gone through so many options (lower carat, higher color, true hearts etc.) I saw so many... that every day my mind is changing (very indecisive person here :wavey:) so that is why my boyfriend is pretty firm on me choosing from the two. I am actually content with the two choices above. I just want some input on what others on PS feel is more important in a diamond :)

I gotcha. The problem is - you have to decide what is important! There is no answer for what you are asking.

Because there is no right or wrong...no one can tell you here what is objectively better, if that makes sense. Did you like the lower colored diamonds you saw? That is what matters. If you think about the 4Cs, which do you care about most? Mine are cut, color, clarity, carat (i started out almost the opposite, which is why i bought a not nice diamond!)

And I hope you are more than content - you should be thrilled! In your original post, it honestly sounded like your boyfriend was really pressuring you for no good reason and forcing your hand. You are entitled to change your mind, it is a very significant purchase.

And given that you were concerned about clarity and color, don't pick a stone that makes you have doubts! Which both of these seem to. Which is why, I wouldn't pick either, honestly especially knowing that this is the end all be all and you can't get anything else in the future, or even send it back after you have seen it in person if you don't love it (also seems a bit unfair, but that is just me - YOU are wearing it everyday!!!) - it's a lot of added pressure that would make me analyze it to death out of sheer anxiety!

So, I still stand by my answer. I wouldn't get either. I'd feel like I was getting warmer though, but I'd be hunting for a ~1.75-1.85, G-H, Vs1-vs2

If someone put a proverbial gun to my head like your BF seems to be (I am not trying to be harsh, just being honest), I'd pick the "I", bc I don't care as much about clarity and seems brighter to my eyes. The plot looks scary but I frankly like the way it looks!

nodeulee

Rough_Rock
I gotcha. The problem is - you have to decide what is important! There is no answer for what you are asking.

Because there is no right or wrong...no one can tell you here what is objectively better, if that makes sense. Did you like the lower colored diamonds you saw? That is what matters. If you think about the 4Cs, which do you care about most? Mine are cut, color, clarity, carat (i started out almost the opposite, which is why i bought a not nice diamond!)

And I hope you are more than content - you should be thrilled! In your original post, it honestly sounded like your boyfriend was really pressuring you for no good reason and forcing your hand. You are entitled to change your mind, it is a very significant purchase.

And given that you were concerned about clarity and color, don't pick a stone that makes you have doubts! Which both of these seem to. Which is why, I wouldn't pick either, honestly especially knowing that this is the end all be all and you can't get anything else in the future, or even send it back after you have seen it in person if you don't love it (also seems a bit unfair, but that is just me - YOU are wearing it everyday!!!) - it's a lot of added pressure that would make me analyze it to death out of sheer anxiety!

So, I still stand by my answer. I wouldn't get either. I'd feel like I was getting warmer though, but I'd be hunting for a ~1.75-1.85, G-H, Vs1-vs2

If someone put a proverbial gun to my head like your BF seems to be (I am not trying to be harsh, just being honest), I'd pick the "I", bc I don't care as much about clarity and seems brighter to my eyes.

I was chuckling the whole way down the post as I was reading this :lol: You sound like my best friend lol she said something very similar. This whole Diamond game is a beast... every day I am finding something else out and every day my mind in changing. Everyone on PS is so amazing and so im thankful for everyone's input. At first mine was Cut, Color, Clarity and then Carat... and then somewhere along they way Carat became a bit important (once BF started mentioning the whole "with that price dont you think a bigger size and going down in clarity/ color would be okay?") which made me rehash/ rethink the whole idea. :wall: I am THRILLED I even have 2 options that I have stuck with long enough lol. I am also thrilled that i actually get a say in what stone (im serious, this guy actually is serious about just walking in Tiffany's and buying a ring since I cant make up my mind.) I have been looking since March...and I think at this point both me, and him are burnt to a crisp with Diamond searching LOL :lol: (so much fun but so..... much info...)

pandalicious

Rough_Rock
I was chuckling the whole way down the post as I was reading this :lol: You sound like my best friend lol she said something very similar. This whole Diamond game is a beast... every day I am finding something else out and every day my mind in changing. Everyone on PS is so amazing and so im thankful for everyone's input. At first mine was Cut, Color, Clarity and then Carat... and then somewhere along they way Carat became a bit important (once BF started mentioning the whole "with that price dont you think a bigger size and going down in clarity/ color would be okay?") which made me rehash/ rethink the whole idea. :wall: I am THRILLED I even have 2 options that I have stuck with long enough lol. I am also thrilled that i actually get a say in what stone (im serious, this guy actually is serious about just walking in Tiffany's and buying a ring since I cant make up my mind.) I have been looking since March...and I think at this point both me, and him are burnt to a crisp with Diamond searching LOL :lol: (so much fun but so..... much info...)

I'm still following this thread .. and just want to say I am almost literally in the same position as you. I've changed my mind every day since I've been looking (originally wanted a a 1.5-2 G/H color, to maybe a K/L/M that's larger, to a CBI or whiteflash superideal, now in the hands of one of the recommended vendors that I can visit locally and tossing up between a J and a K in the 2ct+ size range). Don't even get me started on the setting / metal color decisions ... My boyfriend said he's worried about me changing my mind every day, it doesn't give him comfort that I'll be happy with *anything*! We are also pretty close to being "over it". I just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

Anyway - I hope other PS-ers will weigh in on your choices. Specifically, on those particular inclusions and the color as shown on the JA 360 view (they both look comparable to me).

jBright

Shiny_Rock
I went ring shopping w my friend the other day. And the diamond w the halo is a J and the other one is an I. I don’t know the cut or anything, sorry.. just that they’re both GIA XXX.

I personally, if a MUST, would go for the I. As I’d never want to see a yellow tint. My personal e ring is a G Bc I was that scared of seeing yellow. But not that scared to spend more to get DEF LOL.

The pic was taken in a jewelery store, so you know the lights make it all look beautiful... hoping it will help just a bit.

8E8DF96D-BFF0-4DD3-85AA-B356CB337929.jpeg

But I do agree, as this is a HUGE purchase.... if you’re not completely happy w either... just have a serious conversation w your bf!

nodeulee

Rough_Rock
I'm still following this thread .. and just want to say I am almost literally in the same position as you. I've changed my mind every day since I've been looking (originally wanted a a 1.5-2 G/H color, to maybe a K/L/M that's larger, to a CBI or whiteflash superideal, now in the hands of one of the recommended vendors that I can visit locally and tossing up between a J and a K in the 2ct+ size range). Don't even get me started on the setting / metal color decisions ... My boyfriend said he's worried about me changing my mind every day, it doesn't give him comfort that I'll be happy with *anything*! We are also pretty close to being "over it". I just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

Anyway - I hope other PS-ers will weigh in on your choices. Specifically, on those particular inclusions and the color as shown on the JA 360 view (they both look comparable to me).

I am so glad I am not the only one stressing about this (while I know is not fun). My BF left home today in a chipper mood because I didn't do the same morning routine of "so I slept on the diamonds and i think maybe..." (that is how every morning has been for the past couple of months). He texted me when he got to work saying "I pray today that you still love your options till the end of the day" HAHAHAHA :lol:

nodeulee

Rough_Rock
I went ring shopping w my friend the other day. And the diamond w the halo is a J and the other one is an I. I don’t know the cut or anything, sorry.. just that they’re both GIA XXX.

I personally, if a MUST, would go for the I. As I’d never want to see a yellow tint. My personal e ring is a G Bc I was that scared of seeing yellow. But not that scared to spend more to get DEF LOL.

The pic was taken in a jewelery store, so you know the lights make it all look beautiful... hoping it will help just a bit.

8E8DF96D-BFF0-4DD3-85AA-B356CB337929.jpeg

But I do agree, as this is a HUGE purchase.... if you’re not completely happy w either... just have a serious conversation w your bf!

OMG thank you so much for the picture!! this is so helpful! (and those lights at those stores... make everything so pretty...)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Hah - trust me - I GET it - it is kind of stressful! There is so much out there. And you are def not alone. Which is why you should be allowed to change your mind, and even upgrade if that's what you want! But don't let the variety of options take the fun out of it, and don't be distracted by what other people like! Including your BF...including Pricescope! And especially not a salesperson...But use the knowledge you have to find the best fit for you!

Trust me when I say - if you want a white as ice, well-cut diamond, do not be tempted by big size and sacrifice what makes your heart go patter. I did that. And really regretted it. And tearfully went to my fiance after months of guilt and hating the diamond and we got something else instead. It was an expensive and stressful mistake...which is why, you shouldn't settle. I get that your BF probably doesn't see (or care) about the differences in clarity and color, and what matters to him is prob enjoying showing off a huge ring to people and saying "look at what I got my special girl!"

Warn him if he does to Tiffany's on a rampage, he may be disappointed with what he can afford there compared to other stores like JA. He needs to chill! Hah. I am sure it is driving him crazy - you think tons of PSers haven't driven their boyfriends, fiances and husbands to brink? But, take the reins of the situation - you have just as much of a right to be involved! Man, this is bringing out the protective feminist in me! Lol.

But stick to your guns. Seriously. Do not let him push you into buying what you don't LOVE LOVE LOVE. I would go with your gut...your tiny inner voice. Listen closely. If you really love one of these diamonds, go for it. If you don't - be firm with him. And find the best fit for you.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It's so funny - us ladies are over here getting analysis paralysis, assuming when he asks to marry it is OBVIOUSLY a yes (so what could he be possibly nervous about??? why would I care so much about a stupid ring if I didn't plan on saying yes???) while faced with the OUR heap of a thousands nit picky questions...picking a man is the easy part...

"What if I don't LOVE it for the rest of my life, every day, every hour, every minute???"
"Does it GO with my style, while also perfectly representing our relationship???"
"Will my mother, mother in law, sisters, friends, boss, next door neighbor, future cat, bus driver, blah blah blah stop and remark about how BEATIFUL and PERFECT it is???"
"OMG, what if I change my mind, or want an upgrade...will he HATE me :eek2:???"
"In every possible lighting environment, in every possible country on every possible planet, will I STILL love this diamond?"

...and he probably just wants you to pick ANYTHING that he'd feel proud of and to get the nerve-wracking moment of asking you to marry him OVER WITH!

I'd pick his side of the scenario any day of the fricken week...:lol:

Last edited:

nodeulee

Rough_Rock
Hah - trust me - I GET it - it is kind of stressful! There is so much out there. And you are def not alone. Which is why you should be allowed to change your mind, and even upgrade if that's what you want! But don't let the variety of options take the fun out of it, and don't be distracted by what other people like! Including your BF...including Pricescope! And especially not a salesperson...But use the knowledge you have to find the best fit for you!

Trust me when I say - if you want a white as ice, well-cut diamond, do not be tempted by big size and sacrifice what makes your heart go patter. I did that. And really regretted it. And tearfully went to my fiance after months of guilt and hating the diamond and we got something else instead. It was an expensive and stressful mistake...which is why, you shouldn't settle. I get that your BF probably doesn't see (or care) about the differences in clarity and color, and what matters to him is prob enjoying showing off a huge ring to people and saying "look at what I got my special girl!"

Warn him if he does to Tiffany's on a rampage, he may be disappointed with what he can afford there compared to other stores like JA. He needs to chill! Hah. I am sure it is driving him crazy - you think tons of PSers haven't driven their boyfriends, fiances and husbands to brink? But, take the reins of the situation - you have just as much of a right to be involved! Man, this is bringing out the protective feminist in me! Lol.

But stick to your guns. Seriously. Do not let him push you into buying what you don't LOVE LOVE LOVE. I would go with your gut...your tiny inner voice. Listen closely. If you really love one of these diamonds, go for it. If you don't - be firm with him. And find the best fit for you.

your post gave me chills!!! :clap: You are right ultimately its my choice and I have to love it. It is just so hard being so indecisive and there are so many options out there. I started with a D ,IF , True heart lower carat but then I realized I wanted a little bigger stone and so went down to a G/H to a VS and everything under the sun till the two options above. I am sure my BF wont hate me if i "looked" some more but i dont know if my dainty heart can take any more researches lol :lol:

nodeulee

Rough_Rock
It's so funny - us ladies are over here getting analysis paralysis, assuming when he asks to marry it is OBVIOUSLY a yes (so what could he be possibly nervous about??? why would I care so much about a stupid ring if I didn't plan on saying yes???) while faced with the OUR heap of a thousands nit picky questions...picking a man is the easy part...

"What if I don't LOVE it for the rest of my life, every day, every hour, every minute???"
"Does it GO with my style, while also perfectly representing our relationship???"
"Will my mother, mother in law, sisters, friends, boss, next door neighbor, future cat, bus driver, blah blah blah stop and remark about how BEATIFUL and PERFECT it is???"
"In every possible lighting environment, in every possible country on every possible planet, will I STILL love this diamond?"

...and he probably just wants you to pick ANYTHING that he'd feel proud of and to get the nerve-wracking moment of asking you to marry him OVER WITH!

:lol::lol::lol::lol: seriously... all the questions i ask myself about the diamond, you have in quotes. LOL!

pandalicious

Rough_Rock

THIS!!!! My boyfriend asked me why I wasn't over the moon jumping up and down excited about either of the options we were looking at ... and I said. EXCITED? I'm busy analyzing the crown and pavilion angles, and scintillation and reading between ASET and Sarine reports ... figuring out if any part of it will bother me for the rest of my life ... I am... overwhelmed!!!!!!!! I truly envy the ladies who can say "Oooh shiny!" and be happy :(

nodeulee

Rough_Rock
THIS!!!! My boyfriend asked me why I wasn't over the moon jumping up and down excited about either of the options we were looking at ... and I said. EXCITED? I'm busy analyzing the crown and pavilion angles, and scintillation and reading between ASET and Sarine reports ... figuring out if any part of it will bother me for the rest of my life ... I am... overwhelmed!!!!!!!! I truly envy the ladies who can say "Oooh shiny!" and be happy :(

I totally agree. I wish I could say "OOH! DIAMOND! RING! YAY!" my BF sitting there with this look on his faceo_O when I start talking about the GIA Report and how I ran the HCA calculator....

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
your post gave me chills!!! :clap: You are right ultimately its my choice and I have to love it. It is just so hard being so indecisive and there are so many options out there. I started with a D ,IF , True heart lower carat but then I realized I wanted a little bigger stone and so went down to a G/H to a VS and everything under the sun till the two options above. I am sure my BF wont hate me if i "looked" some more but i dont know if my dainty heart can take any more researches lol :lol:

You got this. Both of you do! Not that I am someone who knows what I am talking about - LOL - I have made a few major mistakes and I am extremely detail oriented and nit picky about very particular things...and some of those things I only discovered after he bought a ring and I wore it around for months. But, I am sure your partners picked you BECAUSE of some of these traits...now, they have to deal with the consequences of a very discerning lady :lol: :dance:

"But babe, think of all of the men I tried on and cast aside in order to find you - my perfect **rock**. Hundreds! Maybe thousands! After years and years! I don't want any ole thing on my finger!!!"

I got a 2 carat diamond, si2, a bit hazy, M color. The cut is a wreck (early round brilliant). That is what I was proposed to with. I got multiple settings, hoping it would make it "prettier" - but it didn't. It still means a lot to me, and I will definitely get it recut and wear it as a pendant close to my heart...but at the end of the day, it's just a rock. Making a mistake didn't end in tragedy. My fiance is now my husband. And I have a diamond that makes my heart sing. A glorious, 1.3 carat, old euro cut, a bright white E, with crisp floral facets and an SI clarity that I didn't give a hoot about.

So, at the end of the day, I think the trick is, you may not find perfection. I wouldn't try to find it. Figure out where you have to make compromises. PS gives fabulous guidelines (that I obviously knew nothing about when I picked my stone, LOL), but listen to your own personal preferences. And be forgiving if you make a mistake and your BF / fiance / husband will learn to be forgiving too, even if you mess up. They may want to kill you at first, but they will get over it. If you buy a diamond and it's a flop in person, RETURN IT and don't look back!

I do think, in your heart of hearts, you know what you care about. It honestly sounds like you are so close to the end...think of everything you learned since the beginning! Looking a little more if you aren't satisfied with either diamond, doesn't mean starting over. It is figuring out what you've learned.

Would you be devastated if either of those diamonds got sold? Thinking about that might help.

nodeulee

Rough_Rock
You got this. Both of you do! Not that I am someone who knows what I am talking about - LOL - I have made a few major mistakes and I am extremely detail oriented and nit picky about very particular things...and some of those things I only discovered after he bought a ring and I wore it around for months. But, I am sure your partners picked you BECAUSE of some of these traits...now, they have to deal with the consequences of a very discerning lady :lol: :dance:

"But babe, think of all of the men I tried on and cast aside in order to find you - my perfect **rock**. Hundreds! Maybe thousands! After years and years! I don't want any ole thing on my finger!!!"

I got a 2 carat diamond, si2, a bit hazy, M color. The cut is a wreck (early round brilliant). That is what I was proposed to with. I got multiple settings, hoping it would make it "prettier" - but it didn't. It still means a lot to me, and I will definitely get it recut and wear it as a pendant close to my heart...but at the end of the day, it's just a rock. Making a mistake didn't end in tragedy. My fiance is now my husband. And I have a diamond that makes my heart sing. A glorious, 1.3 carat, old euro cut, a bright white E, with crisp floral facets and an SI clarity that I didn't give a hoot about.

So, at the end of the day, I think the trick is, you may not find perfection. I wouldn't try to find it. Figure out where you have to make compromises. PS gives fabulous guidelines (that I obviously knew nothing about when I picked my stone, LOL), but listen to your own personal preferences. And be forgiving if you make a mistake and your BF / fiance / husband will learn to be forgiving too, even if you mess up. They may want to kill you at first, but they will get over it. If you buy a diamond and it's a flop in person, RETURN IT and don't look back!

I do think, in your heart of hearts, you know what you care about. It honestly sounds like you are so close to the end...think of everything you learned since the beginning! Looking a little more if you aren't satisfied with either diamond, doesn't mean starting over. It is figuring out what you've learned.

Would you be devastated if either of those diamonds got sold? Thinking about that might help.

@annagene12 such good input. Thank you so much!!! With the whole CoVid situation and being at home all day and working from home (being on the computer every day) its so easy to just "take a look" at diamonds... since it is a big purchase... it is so hard! i'll have to think about my options. ( I actually may be sad if both the diamonds sold so that says a lot right? :D and also dance with the idea of if the diamond doesnt work ultimately go in for a change... lol

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are that torn in deciding between the two, but you seem certain that to your eyes (based on photos and videos) they are virtually indistinguishable, and equally sure that these are the final two diamond candidates, then go with the I-SI1 ... if the twinning wisps were going to affect the clarity/performance, it would be apparent in the video ... and although you can't decide between the two, your BF is voting for the I-SI1 ... for me, those two factors would sway me to the I-SI1.

... my two cents ...

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
My two cents.....

1. diamonds are like wedding dresses- they are all very pretty, but there is the ONE that should blow you away

2. I recently went through the same selection process (although mine is an upgrade, I’ve been married a long time) and I finally found a diamond that spoke to me. Yes, there were a lot of headaches finding the stone- I had never heard about angles or pavilions or HCA. It is overwhelming and the experts on here picked my diamond

3. I ended up with a 1.8 F VVS2 that is so pretty. my ring is being made now, but I look at the video of my diamond on almost a daily basis.

4. I might consider getting JA on a chat and asking what they have just below the 2 carat mark— 1.9 or 1.95 maybe. See, for the last time, if there are other options. I‘ve learned that diamond cutters sometimes cut corners to make something 2 carats. But, a nice 1.9 or 1.95 might actually even be bigger than the 2 carats you have. Also, maybe post an approx budget and people here can look on JA for you. They are very fast at responding and you will likely have your answer within a few hours. One more look may be worth a lifetime of looking at that ring and being beyond thrilled.

nodeulee

Rough_Rock
My two cents.....

1. diamonds are like wedding dresses- they are all very pretty, but there is the ONE that should blow you away

2. I recently went through the same selection process (although mine is an upgrade, I’ve been married a long time) and I finally found a diamond that spoke to me. Yes, there were a lot of headaches finding the stone- I had never heard about angles or pavilions or HCA. It is overwhelming and the experts on here picked my diamond

3. I ended up with a 1.8 F VVS2 that is so pretty. my ring is being made now, but I look at the video of my diamond on almost a daily basis.

4. I might consider getting JA on a chat and asking what they have just below the 2 carat mark— 1.9 or 1.95 maybe. See, for the last time, if there are other options. I‘ve learned that diamond cutters sometimes cut corners to make something 2 carats. But, a nice 1.9 or 1.95 might actually even be bigger than the 2 carats you have. Also, maybe post an approx budget and people here can look on JA for you. They are very fast at responding and you will likely have your answer within a few hours. One more look may be worth a lifetime of looking at that ring and being beyond thrilled.

I'll do another sweep after work to see if JA has any other options below the 2 carat mark ;)2. BF never actually told me a budget (just told me to find a diamond I like in the beginning...) I only got a firm understanding of how much he was willing to spend when he started comparing the Tiffany ring he saw vs my diamond... (apparently he was looking at a 20k ring I almost slapped him silly). I am pretty firm on maybe working with a 12-13k budget (both diamonds are in the 13,800-13,200 mark) I mean im sure he would be happy with a lower price tag too lol.
I'll do another sweep after work and then if I cant find something I like... I will think about it at night (lol) and think about the options and make the decision tomorrow.... :eek2: .

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
I'll do another sweep after work to see if JA has any other options below the 2 carat mark ;)2. BF never actually told me a budget (just told me to find a diamond I like in the beginning...) I only got a firm understanding of how much he was willing to spend when he started comparing the Tiffany ring he saw vs my diamond... (apparently he was looking at a 20k ring I almost slapped him silly). I am pretty firm on maybe working with a 12-13k budget (both diamonds are in the 13,800-13,200 mark) I mean im sure he would be happy with a lower price tag too lol.
I'll do another sweep after work and then if I cant find something I like... I will think about it at night (lol) and think about the options and make the decision tomorrow.... :eek2: .

I had a very good experience doing a chat with JA and telling the gemologist that I was a newbie and wanted a PS type diamond. I also would start a whole new thread and ask people to help you find a almost 2 carat ring in the 13-14 range. The experts here may have suggestions before you get off work. I know it is so stressful, but you will make the right decision! You have the 2 diamonds on hold, so what could it hurt to ask others to take a quick look? Just post a budget because these diamonds get expensive fast. You got this!

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
I had a very good experience doing a chat with JA and telling the gemologist that I was a newbie and wanted a PS type diamond. I also would start a whole new thread and ask people to help you find a almost 2 carat ring in the 13-14 range. The experts here may have suggestions before you get off work. I know it is so stressful, but you will make the right decision! You have the 2 diamonds on hold, so what could it hurt to ask others to take a quick look? Just post a budget because these diamonds get expensive fast. You got this!

Just did a super quick search on JA and they have about 128 diamonds in the 1.9-1.99 carat range. If you get a 1.9 or 1.95 carat, you can still tell everyone it is a 2 carat. ;)2 I can’t wait to see what you pick. And, there are no right answers, pick one that you love.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results