shape
carat
color
clarity

Color Question ( H vs. I )

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PullingTheTrigger

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to get some expert opinion on color differences. I have decided to sacrifice a bit on stone color to go up in cut and carat, but wanted some opinions if there is much difference between H and I.

I am finding that the price difference is pretty dramatic and just wondering if there is a substantially noticeable difference.

I am setting the stone in a white gold so also wondering how this would effect thing.

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/7/2008 10:41:29 AM
Author:PullingTheTrigger
Just wanted to get some expert opinion on color differences. I have decided to sacrifice a bit on stone color to go up in cut and carat, but wanted some opinions if there is much difference between H and I.

I am finding that the price difference is pretty dramatic and just wondering if there is a substantially noticeable difference.

I am setting the stone in a white gold so also wondering how this would effect thing.

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Consumer opinion here - it depends as there are certain factors to consider such as size, shape of the diamond, cut quality, type of grading lab and colour perception. Assuming that we are discussing round diamonds which are well cut, GIA or AGS lab graded then most would not be able to tell the difference between H and I colour when mounted. It is said the industry believe that an I colour is where the average person may begin to notice a tiny hint of colour especially from the side, but an I is still plenty white to most people.

I would suggest if you are unsure, to compare similarly graded, shape, cut quality, size and lab graded diamonds in person of H and I colour to see which you prefer. You may well find that you see no difference and an I would be fine, but best to look in person.

Also the white gold setting should be fine whichever colour grade you choose - no worries.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I have an ideal cut H (Jubilee) and I (round brilliant) and I don't see any difference face up. Both are SI1's. I'd like to mention that I used to have an F color emerald cut, and I found that I don't care if the diamond is lower color if the cut is ideal and it is eye-clean. I can't afford higher colors/clarity anyway.

Edit--Both the H and I are set in platinum.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
PTT, in that size range, I doubt you''d see any difference in the face-up position, and you may not see it in profile either. To that extent that you''d notice body color in side-view, it would only appear a bit creamy or warm.

I don''t really notice much in the way of body color until you get to J, and even then, I have to be looking for it...it''s not glaringly evident.

Hope this helps.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/7/2008 11:04:18 AM
Author: PullingTheTrigger
Just to clarify a bit, I am leaning towrds a round ACA H&A stones in the 1.25 - 1.35 carat size.

I have narrowed the setting down to the classic 3-stone baguette.
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/3Stone/Baguette-Three-Stone_619.htm
I love that setting, and with an ACA you should find that an H or I will face up beautifully. If you are unsure, then ask for Brian to look at the diamonds you are interested in and help you decide which one, that might help.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, yes, please purchase right away! I want to see your completed ring in Show Me the Ring!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is there a difference, YES.
Is it enough to justify the cost difference? That's a toss up. Many folks find this exact level is the perfect compromise range.
Can most consumers see any diffreence once the diamond is set? Very few and they would have to truly have eagle eyes and something to make a close comparison with.
Can you see the difference between an unset H and an unset I color diamond when viewed in proper lighting from the side? Probably you could see a tiny difference. You might not even be sure you could see it, but most people can see the difference between a high H and a low I and when you have a low H compared to a high I, a borderline call, then only experts think they can see it. Truthfully, there is not perfect set of eyes or perfect way to grade borderline colors.

The bst advice is to buy a diamond you feel has the right "look" at the price that fits. I or H won't make or break the beauty of the diamond or the romantice meaning of the engagement gift.

ilovedogs

Rough_Rock
I went from an H to an I when I replaced my chipped stone. My new "I" stone is an H&A from James Allen and it looks whiter than my "H" stone honestly (which was an excellent cut as well, just not H&A). Same size you are looking to purchase, 1.25. I was very concerned abput going down in color.....so glad I did.

MaxPow3r

Rough_Rock
I visited Whiteflash and compared 4 ACA princess stones ranging from G to I color and couldn't tell the difference, face up at least. I looked under several different lights and still couldn't tell. In the end I went with the I color stone (picked it blindly) because I liked it best. .

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I had my stone recut. It went in as an I, and came out an H. It does look whiter now, but I think that''s because the poor cut was holding in the color and now all I see are sparkles. Would I pay the difference between H and I?? NO WAY!!! The I was plenty white for me, and when I get my pendant, I''ll be looking for a J!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Oh I forgot to add, mine is set in white gold, and always looked plenty white.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have a pair of H/A (super) ideal cut stones in my earrings. Over a carat each and one is an H and the other an I, set in w/g. My untrained eye cannot tell the difference between the two--in fact I have no idea which one is which. Happy choosing!

cheers--Sharon

Mr New York

Rough_Rock
If there is any way you can go look at diamonds with your gf, you''ll be able to tell what she wants/cares about. When I first started looking I was thinking nothing less than G or MAYBE a H, but after we looked at several side by side, upside down, all different kinds of ways, she says "I can''t see any difference so I don''t really care." That piece of information was pretty valuable to me

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/7/2008 11:31:20 AM
Author: oldminer
Is there a difference, YES.
Is it enough to justify the cost difference? That''s a toss up. Many folks find this exact level is the perfect compromise range.
Can most consumers see any diffreence once the diamond is set? Very few and they would have to truly have eagle eyes and something to make a close comparison with.
Can you see the difference between an unset H and an unset I color diamond when viewed in proper lighting from the side? Probably you could see a tiny difference. You might not even be sure you could see it, but most people can see the difference between a high H and a low I and when you have a low H compared to a high I, a borderline call, then only experts think they can see it. Truthfully, there is not perfect set of eyes or perfect way to grade borderline colors.

The bst advice is to buy a diamond you feel has the right ''look'' at the price that fits. I or H won''t make or break the beauty of the diamond or the romantice meaning of the engagement gift.
agree, wife has a high H and a low I solitaire ring. i can see the difference side by side.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
One more opinion

There is more difference between middle H and middle I than there is between D and F.
There is also more price difference between H and I than D and F in VS2 clarity.

Markets are clever (sometimes but not stock markets right now)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results