shape
carat
color
clarity

Color or reflection Old Mine Diamond. Help!

shannon9299

Rough_Rock
Hello, I purchased a ring from Etsy uncertified ( I know, I know) but I fell in love with it. It said it was an H SI1 I got the ring and it just looks yellow. In some lighting it's better then others but I don't know if the fact that it's 18K and needs to be rhodium plated so it's picking up yellow tones from the setting? I took this to my local jeweler who said she would grade this as a K possibly an L!! What do you guys think is it the reflection from the lack of rhodium plating or will that make it worse with the contrast of the white and possibly yellow. I just know that H colored diamonds are not yellow. =( I can still return it and am thinking I should even though I am in love with the setting. =( This is it next to a Tiffany G earring.

dsc07188.jpg

dsc07239.jpg

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
It does look from the photos to have a yellowish tint which you wouldn't see in an H. But it's a little hard to tell from the photos. Would you be able to give us a closer, zoomed in photo? Both alone and next to your G ring? In the bottom photo, which is the ring you're concerned about - the top one?

In general I think you can pretty much assume that if the stone is uncerted, there is a good chance the color grade is going to be inaccurate.

shannon9299

Rough_Rock
It's the top ring that I am concerned about the one with the yellow tone. The ring on the bottom was my grandmothers but the tiny stone is a G so I thought I would post it next to it.

dsc07177.jpg

shannon9299

Rough_Rock
That didn't help haha. let me see if I can find another one. My camera is not the best. Another one next to a G ring I have. This non yellow one in this photo is a certed G

dsc07187.jpg

shannon9299

Rough_Rock
Another one by itself

dsc07114.jpg

shannon9299

Rough_Rock
I think that's the best my camera can do. It's supposed to be a .70 H SI1 Old Miner cut. My calipers tell me it is a .70 if not a bit over depending on depth. I love the setting but I don't think the setting it worth $1200 being that it is white gold. I think the stone being a K (if it is a K) would only be worth about $900. I'm not sure how much for a white gold settings worth. I am just thinking if I get bored later because I always do and then sell them. I want to be sure I can get my money back out. You know? Any input would be much appreciated.

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
Gotcha. I cannot tell you with any certainty of course, this is just my opinion, but the stone does not look to be an H to me. I own a GIA L OEC which is also set in unplated WG (see my avatar, although it's not set there), and it looks less tinted to me than this stone. But it could just be the lighting. So hard to tell color from photos. But the comparison with your G is pretty telling.

Do you mind the color? If you love it and don't mind it, then keep it! Otherwise, can you still return it?

shannon9299

Rough_Rock
You know I am extremely color sensitive and I really don't like it so I think I am trying to rationalize because I love the setting. Love the setting not crazy about the color. I love Old Mine cuts but don't like color in any diamond. =( The photos she posted in the listing were quite deceiving. This was the photo in the listing.

il_266.jpg

il_267.jpg

shannon9299

Rough_Rock
I know that's the same stone but she must have adjusted the photos somehow.

shannon9299

Rough_Rock
Another. Yes, I can still return it by Friday. My husband thinks I should because he think once the newness wears off. (Like it always does) that I will want to sell it and won't get my money back out of it. I wasn't thrilled when I saw the stone. I really was expecting the H she listed it as and knew as soon as I opened the box it wasn't an H. =(

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
If you're anything like me, the seed of doubt is planted and you'll never be able to shake it now. Once I feel iffy on something, that's the end of it for me!

It is a very pretty setting though, and I agree - the stone looks very white in the listing photos.

shannon9299

Rough_Rock
You don't think the yellow is from it not being rhodium plated? Like a reflection or from the huge culet? haha I know it's a far cry and I am reaching but wanted to see what you thought anyways.

shannon9299

Rough_Rock
The thing that gets me is she said this was graded by a GIA GG that has been doing grading for 20 years...seriously?

Q

Queenie60

Since you have doubts, I would return the ring. It will always be a burden in your mind. Best to let it go and use your money for something else.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
It looks like a brown top diamond, I would pass if it was me.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, people will say anything to make a sale. She can call it any color she wants because it's uncertified.

I would return it because a) there is no way it is an H color diamond and b) you really don't like it and are disappointed with it.

I am sorry this happened but am glad that you can return the ring.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's not a reflection, and it is nowhere near an H. In your photos, it looks like an M or lower to me. I love warm diamonds, but if you don't, by all means, return it.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no way that is an H.

If you don't like colour, I would return it. If you love the stone/setting and could live with the colour, I'd ask for a partial refund because of her false advertising and photoshopped pictures.

eta- you could take it to an appraiser and have them grade the colour for you. That would give you a leg to stand on if you wanted some money back.

shannon9299

Rough_Rock
I know. I agree with all of you. I already asked her for a discount after I told her my appraiser gave me a verbal grade of a K- L. She just said she can't reduce the price anymore or she would lose money. So essentially she paid too much and is trying to pass her mistake on someone else. :blackeye: I think I will pack it up and ship it back. I have taken a lot of photos though so maybe if I love the setting that much I can just have Leon Mege make it in platinum and buy a certed stone for it. I would probably be happier and im sure he could get the setting close enough for me to be happy.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, that's not fair of her to rip other people off (and continue lying) because she made a mistake. But people are not always honourable.

I'm glad you're able to return it. If you do love the setting, make sure to take as many photos as possible if you want it replicated. Different angles and lighting to make sure you capture all the details.

shannon9299

Rough_Rock
Thank you to all who helped me. It always help seal the decision when you have power behind you.

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
I also do not feel that diamond is an H and probability will tell you it isn't. The majority of old cut diamonds are going to be lower colors, K-M, as that is what the mines produced back then. Mines that produced G/H diamonds were not really opened until later transitional cut diamonds. So higher color old euros and mines are much more scarce than warmer colored ones. They do exist and i have had a few but they're not abundant.

I have seen diamonds that do face up much warmer than what their face down color is. They make up some of the most interesting and phenomenal diamonds I have ever seen. I once saw an M grade diamond that face up looked like a fancy canary. And it had the correct saturation face up. Depending on how diamonds grow they can exhibit two extremely different color grades between face up and face down. But even with that knowledge I do not feel that is an H and probability says it's not.

I personally love warm older cut diamonds so I think it is beautiful but if it isn't sitting right with you, you should find something you like better that will bring you much more happiness.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I had a recent transaction like this on etsy and decided to send it to EGL. it was several color grades off and as we know, if I sent to GIA it would've been probably been even worse, based on my experience. The seller accepted the return and never even apologized. It was a terrible experience.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results