shape
carat
color
clarity

color matches?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, as a tag-along question to my earlier post about Gottlieb & Sons vs. a Jared set, here''s my next quandry... I''ve decided to not even consider the Jared set any longer. I found a better price on the Gottlieb set from Jeff with A Jewelry Stop (www.ajewelrystop.com). By the way, has anyone dealt with him? He seems very knowledgeable and nice.

He can order the Gottlieb set for me. Gottlieb uses G/H stones in these rings. My center stone is an I, although it looks very white compared to many stones I''ve seen that are Hs. For all I know, mine could be graded an H, it''s never been officially evaluated by a certified gemologist, as far as I know. I''m basing this "I" rating on the written appraisal from the local jewelry store where my husband bought it.

Here''s the BIG question--will my stone look yellow in the Gottlieb setting? I''m considering sending my ring to Jeff to have him unmount and evaluate the center stone before he orders the Gottlieb set. Or should I just go to a local jeweler and have them grade it? What would I have to pay to have that done?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If your diamond looks okay with other H colors, it won''t look dark with G/H side stones either. An I color is a decently white color to the naked eye. Few people can see the difference to H or even G, but there are a disproportionate number of discerning experts and consumer experts on Pricescope who might have a better chance of seeing a tiny nuance of color grade difference. For most people, one or even two grades makes little visual difference when a ring is being worn.

I notice J color as the point where a visible amount of tint is seen in a set stone in the face-up position. I and better look pretty much colorless without close color master stone comparison.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks David. Since I posted this, I found an even more excellent deal at James Allen. Higher total carat weight for the e-ring and wedding band set, better color (F or better), better clarity (VS or better), 950 platinum... They said I could request a different color for the side stones if I wanted to. I hate to ask for a lower grade color, but I want it to match and not look like an obvious remount that is mis-matched. What would you suggest?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sticking within 2 color grades of your center stone is a good idea. ie. with an F center you could easily have sidestones that go up to a D or down to an H.

Jeff the jeweler

Rough_Rock
When it comes to color I have seen people notice everything or very little or just do not care one-way or the other for a verity of reasons. Some people want flawless D color, because its flawless D color. My wife can see the yellow in a mounted white gold setting H color diamond.

After years of selling diamonds I have come to the conclusion guidelines are good but I truly believe in the end its up to the customer.

Regarding platinum rings, if you cannot see the ring before buying, check the weight of the ring. The weight of the platinum can be just as important as comparing the color, clarity, and weight of the diamonds in a ring when your shopping around.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results