shape
carat
color
clarity

color differnce bad sign? going cray tryin to find info

Jamiej87

Rough_Rock
I recently was given this ring from my grandmother i'm hoping for the best but of course love it no matter what. Posted this pic before but here you can see how pretty it is:)

image_16.jpg

But then there's this
image_21.jpg
That dark patch along the bottom of the gem is rough, I've tried to find out if this is normal, a treatment affect, or a sign that it's not such a great stone I can't really find any information. Did see a couple youtube videos that looked like they may have had the same thing but it was hard to tell

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Sadly this looks very much like a doublet. I live in Australia and it is a technique often employed for opal. It's a way of slicing a gem - in this case opal - and sticking it to a base. Usually not prime material however it means more than one gemstone can be made from one reasonably good, inexpensive piece of opal and hence the monetary return is multiplied. In a doublet the opal would have a domed top and would look very much like your sapphire. If the opal slice is flat both sides, a clear quartz domed "top" may be put on and it then becomes a triplet.

I couldn't find any information on sapphire doublets and wasn't aware they did this. however this is a good explanation of the process - loved this bit... :lol:
On the face of it, a doublet sounds like a good thing; you would think it should be twice as good as a singlet. But unfortunately that's not the case in the gemstone world.

http://www.gemselect.com/other-info/gemstone-doublets.php

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a doublet to me too; top layer is the star, bottom layer is something else in order to make a stone more affordable.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate to say this but when I saw this ring in your other thread (my first thought was that it was either a simulant or synthetic. Unfortunately these are quite common. Stars can be replicated and one of the signs is having very straight legs to the stars. I hope I'm wrong but couple that with the fact that it's potentially a doublet, in a silver setting, I would err on the side of caution.

Jamiej87

Rough_Rock
It's okay. Thank you everyone:) it was given it with no comment as to what it is. Yes of course a little disappointed but its pretty and now I will feel a little more comfortable wearing it.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Yes of course a little disappointed but its pretty and now I will feel a little more comfortable wearing it.

And that is the most important thing of all. Enjoy your ring :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever it might be, the memories of your grandmother will always be with you when you wear it or see it. That is irreplaceable and priceless.

Quantz Studios

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The stone looks just to be unpolished there on the side- Not uncommon in some cabochons. They're cut with a large underside to retain weight. Most cabochons are set in bezels which covers up the sides most times so they (and the bottom) are left unpolished. The division between the two ares does not seem sharp enough to be a doublet. I don't know any stones with asterism/color similar to what is shown that are/would be made into a doublet, either. Also appears to be a black star corundum, which isn't very rare. Though, high-quality examples are harder to find. I doubt it's synthetic or diffused- the asterism isn't as sharp and clear as those that have been diffused. You should take it to a competent local Gemologist to have it looked at to be sure.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think as Stonebender does that this stone is just unpolished on the bottom. These black star sapphires that are brownish in color are inexpensive and I can't see a reason to create a doublet stone. I think the ring is very pretty and unique. I did a quick google search and found some for sale for reference.

http://www.gemselect.com/star-sapphire/star-sapphire-294865.php

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results