shape
carat
color
clarity

Color Change Sapphire from Richard Wise

septemberbaby

Rough_Rock
Hi, Everyone! This is my first post here, but I''ve been reading the forums for a couple months. My boyfriend and I have been searching for a sapphire for my engagement ring, and we''re very intrigued by Richard Wise''s color change sapphire. I''m wondering if any of you have actually seen it in person and what your thoughts on it are?

From everything I''ve read, I should trust in Richard''s descriptions of his stones. However, I have never ever seen a color changer in person, so it''s hard for me to imagine. (Also, his site does not show the two color states in the photos.)

I saw an older post from Harriet, and she said she''d looked at a color changer while visiting Richard''s store - I''m wondering if this is the same one (seems like a long shot)? I appreciate any feedback I can get... thanks!

Richard Wise 3.84 ct Color Change Sapphire

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I have not seen this particular cc sapphire in person although I have seen others IRL. Although cut by a master lapidary, the stone is cut very deeply, presumably to preserve the carat weight. It has an 81% depth and faces up more like a barely 3 ct sapphire. You are correct that one should never purchase without knowing the other colour on a colour changer. You should request additional pictures to first decide if you want to pursue it, then if so, take a look at the stone in person.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
The cutting is deep, at 81% of a 7.82 width the stone is 6.33mm deep and would sit at least 7mm above the finger once set. The cut is unusual and quite fine to my tastes. It has a marvelous Rorschachian pattern that seems well suited to stone-gazing. May I ask if it is terribly expensive?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
it is also cut deep to preserve a deep, rich color.

call richard. he is very accessible and fun to talk with. he will definitely tell you all about the stone! and he does not mind calls from serious buyers.

he also has a generous time frame for return of a stone if you're not happy.

mz

ps we bought my 8.18 spess from richard and i've never met him: phone calls as well as e-mails with stone sent for approval with a 10-day return period. there was no way i was returning it once i saw it.

eta: my spess sits very high on my finger. it has not been an issue as i already wore very large rings. however, i do not wear my e-ring 24/7 but do wear it each and every time i leave the house.

septemberbaby

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of your replies so far. In response to your comments/questions:

- Can someone give me proper Pricescope etiquette when divulging prices? Should I be concerned that Richard does not post prices for his more expensive stones on his website? (His email will tell you this means the stone is more than $5k.) Until I get clarification on ''the rules'' I''ll simply say that the stone is not inexpensive.

- My boyfriend has spoken with Richard about this stone via phone, twice. The first time, he was inquiring about its cost and found it to be higher than what he''d budgeted. However, Richard is having a sale (maybe just for email subscribers?) and the stone is now more affordable. The only issue with this is that since the prices have been temporarily lowered significantly, Richard would really prefer not to take the stone back unless it''s damaged or not as advertised. I can understand this, and I have no reason to believe the stone isn''t stunning. It''s just a little scary to make such a big purchase without seeing it in person first. Richard did describe the stone (over the phone) as being the nicest color change sapphire he''d ever seen, said it had a perfect cut, and described the colors as ''true gem colors.''

- We have been looking for a sapphire for the past three months now, and I''ve always had this color change stone in the back of my mind. After seeing many stones, I know that the most important thing for me is color, followed then by cut. If the face is a bit smaller and the stone is a little deeper, I''m okay with that, so long as the color is great and the stone isn''t displaying large windows, etc.

If anyone else has any suggestions/comments, please keep them coming. I really appreciate it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a question you should pose to Richard in an email. We usually ask the price to gauge if it is in line with the quality, more expensive or is a good deal. Just a ballpark figure is sufficient. Are you saying that the sale is final? There is no review period and that you must purchase this sight unseen? For something over $5K, no matter how “nice” a vendor calls it, I will not purchase it without first seeing it. My sole concern now is how dark the stone is IRL and the colour change; the purity of hue and the completeness of change. The stone definitely isn''t windowed.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
You could take a weekend trip to the Berkshires to meet the stone and Richard in person. There are lots of things to enjoy there, lovely bed and breakfasts and cultural institutions MassMoCA, Williamstown Theatre, Tanglewood...well worth the trip.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,
I''m not sure if this is the stone I saw. Is Richard saying that he''d prefer that you not return it or that you can''t return it? When I buy a gem, I need a couple of days to live with it (to see how it performs under different lighting conditions; to make sure that the colour is something I want). Sometimes, I just need a couple of seconds if I''m bowled over when I open the package. Is Richard saying that he''d prefer that you not return it or that you can''t return it? Congratulations on your coming engagement!

la stone

Rough_Rock
Hello everybody. This is septemberbaby''s boyfriend. To answer your questions:

Yes, the sale of the stone at it''s sale price is basically final per Richard''s website: "On sale gems are not sent “on approval” and returns will only be accepted if the gems are damaged or not as advertised and they are as advertised."

I asked if Richard had any other photos of the stone besides what is on the website and he unfortuantely does not. The photos are professionally taken and take two weeks. The photo of the stone is it''s "daylight" color.

Travelling to MA is a possibility, but it is a bit far for us (we live in Los Angeles).

Having spoken with Richard and read about him on Pricescope, I''m confident that the stone is beautiful. Richard is a pro. But, I must admit I am still hesitant to make a final purchase without having seen the stone''s specific colors in person. That''s why we wanted to see if anyone on Pricescope has actually seen this color change sapphire in person.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
La Stone,
I understand that you live far away. However, even if one of us had seen the stone and liked it, that doesn't mean that you and your other half would too.Is the discount enough to buy you a ticket to Lenox?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/1/2010 4:04:01 PM
Author: la stone
Hello everybody. This is septemberbaby's boyfriend. To answer your questions:

Yes, the sale of the stone at it's sale price is basically final per Richard's website: 'On sale gems are not sent “on approval” and returns will only be accepted if the gems are damaged or not as advertised and they are as advertised.'

I asked if Richard had any other photos of the stone besides what is on the website and he unfortuantely does not. The photos are professionally taken and take two weeks. The photo of the stone is it's 'daylight' color.

Travelling to MA is a possibility, but it is a bit far for us (we live in Los Angeles).

Having spoken with Richard and read about him on Pricescope, I'm confident that the stone is beautiful. Richard is a pro. But, I must admit I am still hesitant to make a final purchase without having seen the stone's specific colors in person. That's why we wanted to see if anyone on Pricescope has actually seen this color change sapphire in person.
As wonderful as Richard is to many people, you should NEVER EVER buy a stone sight unseen without the possibilty of returning it . . . especially someone like you who is a novice at buying gems. The fact that there is no possibility of a refund is disappointing, and take it from some of the people who have been collecting many many years, they would never buy a gem without the possibiltiy of returning it. I don't care if the vendor is Harry Winston himself, I would still have to see the gem in person and know that I could return it if need be.

Purchasing gems, in particular sapphires, requires the viewer to see them in various lighting and if you never ever saw a fine sapphire before (mall jewelry stores don't count), you will not know what you are paying for. I do trust some vendors yes, but in the end, I trust my own trained eye, as well as the opinions of many on this forum.

I wish he could get you some additional photos, considering that it's still probably very pricey.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is absolutely CRITICAL that you should be allowed to return a colour changing gemstone and not be bound to buy it because it''s in a sale. That''s ludicrous.

Colour changers have very specific personalities. Some you may gel with, others you won''t. I have loved, for example, a daylight colour of a gem but hated the incandescent colour and vice versa (my Malaya Garnet springs to mind and also a blue/purple sapphire). There are no photos on Richard''s website of the incandescent colourway and it''s NOT reasonable to be asked to take somebody else''s description of the colour because descriptors, whilst helpful, still don''t speak in the same way that actually seeing a colour does.

If this gem is a considerable purchase for you then I would ask Richard to give you a 7 day window from the date of delivery to make up your mind and return if needs be (less if you think 48 hours might do the trick).

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone,

Mind if I join in. Yes, I am having a sale, my first one, 25% off on all loose gemstones until August 1st. That particular sapphire is a bit deep, but exceptionally brilliant over 100% of the face-up surface and it changes from a gem blue (visible in the photo) to a gem purple. Most color change sapphires show a good purple and a lousy grayish blue. I have only seen one or two others with this color and none so well cut.

We have had a great response and yes stones may still be returned, 48 hours, just Fedex back. However, this is a sale, so, how can I put this. Only serious buyers need apply.

Most of my photographs are by Scovil or Weldon, I want them to be accurate and I am a lousy photographer. I do understand that buying sight unseen is scary. Hope that clarifies things,

Best,

Richard

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/1/2010 4:46:00 PM
Author: Richard W. Wise
Hi everyone,

Mind if I join in. Yes, I am having a sale, my first one, 25% off on all loose gemstones until August 1st.

We have had a great response and yes stones may still be returned, 48 hours, just Fedex back. However, this is a sale, so, how can I put this. Only serious buyers need apply.

Most of my photographs are by Scovil or Weldon, I am a lousy photographer. I do understand that buying sight unseen is scary. Hope that clarifies things,

Best,
With all due respect Richard, I find it unreasonable to be selling a color change sapphire without additional photos and no possibility of return. A serious buyer should still be one who should have the ability to review the gem for a specific period of time. Not sure if you're having issues with people who memo tons of gems just to return them. I can understand the frustration as a vendor there, but this is obviously someone looking for an e-ring.

In the meantime, as a vendor, I would really try to work on those photography skills. Many of us are not vendors, but if we had to be, we would try our best to figure out how to use a camera. I know I would if I were in the business. Sorry to be so blunt.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/1/2010 4:54:50 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Hi everyone,

Mind if I join in. Yes, I am having a sale, my first one, 25% off on all loose gemstones until August 1st.

Most of my photographs are by Scovil or Weldon, I am a lousy photographer. I do understand that buying sight unseen is scary. Hope that clarifies things,

Best,
With all due respect Richard, I find it unreasonable to be selling a color change sapphire without additional photos and no possibility of return. A serious buyer should still be one who should have the ability to review the gem for a specific period of time. Not sure if you''re having issues with people who memo tons of gems just to return them. I can understand the frustration as a vendor there, but this is obviously someone looking for an e-ring.

In the meantime, as a vendor, I would really try to work on those photography skills. Many of us are not vendors, but if we had to be, we would try our best to figure out how to use a camera. I know I would if I were in the business. Sorry to be so blunt.
I have to say I completely agree with TL.

Richard - as a lover of colour change gemstones, I do find your policy in this instance unreasonable - especially as you haven''t provided photos of the incandescent colour way. You are asking somebody to buy blind. I have no doubt that this is a beautiful gemstone but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

From the OP''s first post in this thread, I think it''s fair to say that she appears to be/is a serious buyer and as such I would hope you could afford her/her fiance some leaway in being able to return the sapphire (or any other serious buyer) if they don''t love the sapphire in all lights.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I don't know if Richard can do them, but since I'm almost always buying stones from overseas and have pretty much always bought without seeing the stone in real life, I find live video-calls really useful. Even just over a normal webcam you can see how the stone moves and a good idea of the colour plus you can see different lighting.

I also use Gemwizard's free tool for pinpointing colour so both parties know what is what.

ETA: So far I've never returned a stone... there was one I thought about as it has a teeny window, but colour is extremely fine and it's big enough that if it really irritates me I'll just get it's hair cut.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
P, the free tool is gone.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

Mind if I join in. Yes, I am having a sale, my first one, 25% off on all loose gemstones until August 1st. That particular sapphire is a bit deep, but exceptionally brilliant over 100% of the face-up surface and it changes from a gem blue (visible in the photo) to a gem purple. Most color change sapphires show a good purple and a lousy grayish blue. I have only seen one or two others with this color and none so well cut.

Most of my photographs are by Scovil or Weldon, I want them to be accurate and I am a lousy photographer. I do understand that buying sight unseen is scary. Hope that clarifies things,

Best,

Richard
am i the only one that read this? he has merely shortened the return time....if they can't decide in 48 hours then they weren't in love with it and should be returning the stone immediately so it can be sold to someone else.

or perhaps the alternative would be to pay full price and have the full return time.

i agree that i'd want to see the stone first but i think 48 hours is enough time for making a decision.

mz

ps and i would add that an e-mail or phone call to richard stating that it is being returned would be in order.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2010 5:09:50 PM
Author: Harriet
Meanies, when did they do that?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
MZ,
I read it too.

September Baby, LA Stone,
Are you two experienced buyers? If not, see if you can get an appraiser to look at the gem within the return period.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2010 5:18:41 PM
Author: Pandora II
Date: 7/1/2010 5:09:50 PM

Author: Harriet

Meanies, when did they do that?

9.gif
I don''t remember.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

Best,

Richard
This section implies returns within 48 hours are accepted (great news)However, this section implies that the returns policy is discretionary My apologies if I have read this incorrectly but couple this with the OP's comments about what she and her fiance have been told and it does lead one to believe that the policy may not be for all. If you refer back to Septemberbaby's earlier post you will see that she was told that the gem would only be accepted back if damaged or not as advertised.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I can understand a vendor having a significant time sensitive sale not wanting to have a stone tied up for ten days. But he does say it is returnable. And he seems confident that the stone will perform most highly in person. Perhaps in the future when having professional shots done by jeff scovil he could take the time to shoot color-changers color-changing so you have the whole thing ready to go up front. How many times here have I read about Richard''s expert eye and the accolades of respect he has on this forum? Then too, I ordered a stone from him once and sent it back because it wasnt right FOR ME. I have no doubt it will be right for someone else.
He did say, in here, point blank that it can be returned. I still think you should go to the Berkshires for a long weekend. It''s like adopting a child. You would certainly go meet the child beforehand if you could, no? Sometimes you go out to eat, sometimes you order in. For important meals you charter a plane and fly to Paris

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2010 5:28:50 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Hi everyone,

Best,

Richard
This section implies returns within 48 hours are accepted (great news)However, this section implies that the returns policy is discretionary My apologies if I have read this incorrectly but couple this with the OP''s comments about what she and her fiance have been told and it does lead one to believe that the policy may not be for all. If you refer back to Septemberbaby''s earlier post you will see that she was told that the gem would only be accepted back if damaged or not as advertised.
Actually the OP from reading above, never asked Richard- he read the return policy on the website about the sale gems. I''m sure if the OP had asked he would have been told it was 48 hours.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
All,

I am sorry if there is still some confusion about the sale. The 25% off loose stone sale is on through July 31. Or normal turn around time on items ordered over the internet is 5 days. However, since this is a SALE, I will accept a return on sale items if not as advertised or damaged. I leave it to the good faith of the client to make that determination. I expect the return to come by FEDEX overnight and be sent no later than 48 hours after receipt.

I hope that I have made it clear.

Best to you all,

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2010 5:40:01 PM
Author: VapidLapid
I can understand a vendor having a significant time sensitive sale not wanting to have a stone tied up for ten days. But he does say it is returnable. And he seems confident that the stone will perform most highly in person. Perhaps in the future when having professional shots done by jeff scovil he could take the time to shoot color-changers color-changing so you have the whole thing ready to go up front. How many times here have I read about Richard''s expert eye and the accolades of respect he has on this forum? Then too, I ordered a stone from him once and sent it back because it wasnt right FOR ME. I have no doubt it will be right for someone else.
He did say, in here, point blank that it can be returned. I still think you should go to the Berkshires for a long weekend. It''s like adopting a child. You would certainly go meet the child beforehand if you could, no? Sometimes you go out to eat, sometimes you order in. For important meals you charter a plane and fly to Paris
i agree with this. this is for an e-ring that will be worn, hopefully, for the rest of the OP''s live....long live the OP!

and besides, i have heard tales of things in richard''s vault that even he forgot he had.....what an opportunity to look at other stones if the CC turns out not to be for the OP.

mz

ps and i so love how you think, Vapid, re "for important meals you charter a plane and fly to paris."

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I think it would be unhelpful if this thread were turned into a squabble about return policies.

I recommend going to see the stone. If you can''t get there certainly you should have it sent for inspection. That is, if from what you know about it so far you think it really could be "the one".

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, please just leave this between seller and buyer. The stone is for an engagement ring, afterall.

Valentino

Rough_Rock
hello,
I find it very strange and pushy that a dealer cannot acccept a return or give a very little time frame for the return (for this kind of money).
take your time guys, get some other color changers opinions, shop around....make phone calls....shop around. Take your time
All the best in your search,
Valentino
34.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/1/2010 5:08:30 PM
Author: Pandora II
I don''t know if Richard can do them, but since I''m almost always buying stones from overseas and have pretty much always bought without seeing the stone in real life, I find live video-calls really useful. Even just over a normal webcam you can see how the stone moves and a good idea of the colour plus you can see different lighting.

I also use Gemwizard''s free tool for pinpointing colour so both parties know what is what.

ETA: So far I''ve never returned a stone... there was one I thought about as it has a teeny window, but colour is extremely fine and it''s big enough that if it really irritates me I''ll just get it''s hair cut.

Pandora,
I''ve used gemewizard to try to translate color between myself and a vendor, and still returned gems. The problem is that one vendor''s observation of color is not always going to be the same as mine. I gave up using gemewizard for that reason because many vendors (and ones we know and love) always make the stone the wrong hue, or attribute a more saturated color, than I attribute to it via the tool. I''m glad it works for you though.
1.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results