shape
carat
color
clarity

Color and Clarity Range

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

satyreddy

Rough_Rock
This might be a silly or obvious question, but I was hoping to get some advice on the differences between some colors and clarity. Are the differences between SI1 and VS2 obvious? Do they really take away from the sparkle of the higher one? The same question for the differences between the G, H, and I''s on the color scale. I know those are generally considered colorless. But can one really see color in the I compared to the G or does it really take away from the sparkle?

I read through the guide but I was hoping to get some people advice.

Thanks

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
The sparkle is determined by cut, not by color or clarity. An SI1 or even SI2 diamond can look as good as a VVS diamond if it is eye clean. If you go with a diamond graded by GIA or AGS, you can find eye clean SI diamonds and save yourself some money.

Color is not a determenant of sparkle. It is personal preferance about what range you want to be in. Some are more sensitive to color than others. I recommend you see some ideal cut diamonds in different colors to see what appeals to you. An ideal cut diamond will look whiter than a diamond of the same color/size that does not have a great cut.

satyreddy

Rough_Rock
What would you say is the best way to determine the best cut? I am going to buy the diamond on James Allen because they have the band I want. They indicate something is a premium cut. Is that something I should follow? I''ve read that when the table % is between 53-64 and the depth % is between 58-64, I''m in a good range. Can I ask what the best part of those ranges are?

So once I''ve determined the best cut, that determines the sparkle and not the color or clarity?

When you say some are more sensitive to color, does that mean most people can''t tell the difference between an I and a G or H, ie the near colorless range? As long as Im in the near colorless range, Im ok?

Thanks again

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
In my diamond search I wanted a diamond that would look perfect to the untrained eye. I ended up choosing- with the help of an expert- an I color (eye clean) SI 1. I can see nothing wrong with it and it looks completely colorless from all angles to me. You must be aware that there are vary degrees of SI stones. Some SI 1''s are eyeclean and some are not. I would imagine there are even some eyeclean SI2''s. Although some say an I color stone appears warmer, it is by no means yellow. Like I said it appears completely clear to me, but there are varying degrees of color sensitivity. I did get an ideal cut A Cut Above RB so this also makes the stone appear more colorless than say a poorly cut fancy.

If you are on a budget an Ideal cut I color SI-1 is definately a very nice stone and no one will be able to see otherwise...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the James Allen site, search for ideal cut under the signature collection and you''ll be safe.

satyreddy

Rough_Rock
Fantastic. Thank you to everyone. I really appreciate it.

satyreddy

Rough_Rock
One last question. On James Allen, premium cut is even better than ideal Im guessing?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, ideal is better...see my post above...search under the signature collection on the James Allen site.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell us your size target and price limit, and people will help suggest some stones.

satyreddy

Rough_Rock
Well I'm locked into the following band from James Allen which costs $950:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones.asp?pos=1&cid=58&module=setting&item=879

I'm looking around $2400-$2600 TOTAL, flexible. So 1400-1600 for the stone. Size wise, ideally Id want a 3/4 carot but Im thinking I should go around .65. I was thinking VS2 and H but if SI1 and I are just as good with sparkle, then I can go there.

If I buy the ring from jamesallen and the stone from somewhere else, how long would it take to put the two together?

Thanks again. You folks are great.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
I would call to ask how long it would take. I know the process for me took about 3 weeks...

here are some candidates: G- SI1 - if eye clean .61 carats
H- SI2 .7 c (i know its SI 2 but may be worth looking into)
I VS2 .59 c

That is a very lovely setting. It will look gorgeous!

satyreddy

Rough_Rock
The second one might do the trick. I also found this:

H VS2 .63c

I guess between these two, I have to balance the .7 size difference with the drop in clarity. Any recommendations?

Also, between .63, .65, and .7, are the size difference pretty evident?

Thank you again.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might be evident, but not hugely. Very small.

I don't think the .63 H would look good under an Ideal Scope. Passable, but not excellent.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Look at the measurments:

.7 H SI 2: 5.67*5.71*3.52 (mm)
.63 H VS 2: 5.48*5.51*3.42 (mm)

So its about .2 mm diff or about 3.7% smaller table size... so not really. You would notice comparing side by side but one would probably not be memorably larger. Also call James Allen tomorrow- the SI-2 might have a huge inclusion viewable with the naked eye from 10 in which would definately take it out of the running and make the decision for you. Call though, cause you never know it may be just perfect for what you are looking for. Then you can ask how long it will take to get it set.

satyreddy

Rough_Rock
Oh so the first two are table size? That's fantastic help. I'll definitely call tomorrow. But if the .63 is not that much smaller, then maybe Ill go with that one. You folks are great. This has been so helpful.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask James Allen for an Ideal Scope picture of the H. The others you may consider later if the H doesn''t work out.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the first number is the smallest diameter; second is the largest diameter; third is the depth.

Jake means diameter, not table.
2.gif

satyreddy

Rough_Rock
Thank you to everyone that has offered their advice in this thread. What a great website. This has been enormously beneficial.

richie5120

Rough_Rock
why is JA signature series better then the loose diamonds on the site? loose diamonds look better and cheaper :) I''m looking for 1.5ct budget of 10k I too found a setting from else where. any help would be appreciated. we''re looking at h in color vs2 thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results