shape
carat
color
clarity

Clueless on Registering

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FLgirl41

Shiny_Rock
So my FI and I are totally clueless on where to register and what to register for.

Everything we own for the kitchen is all hand-me downs and we are still renting and don''t plan on buying a house for almost a year after we get married.

Does anyone have suggestions of where I can look to find some helpful information on registering.

I know for sure that we will not be registering for china, nice silver, or crystal because that is just not us. But other than that we have no idea!

Help please!!!!
23.gif

Thanks in advance!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Most of the stores will give you guides to show you what to consider, but it may be more than fits you. It is a good start though, and Crate & Barrel has a fun one online. What stores are you considering? What''s near you? Your guests? Do you have any special interests like camping or home improvement? You can register at a lot of different places for more than housewares.

We chose Crate & Barrel because I loved what they offered and they were VERY easy to work with. I highly recommend them if you have one nearby or if your guests do.

Bed Bath & Beyond was also really convenient because they have almost everything, it''s cheaper than Macy''s and most other places, and they let you use those coupons on a lot of the items (good for guests too!) plus you get cash for returns if you get three food processors, or whatever. I was very pleased with them.

We also registered at Dillard''s because it was closest to most of our guests. Their service was decent, though I hated their packing... way too many styrofoam peanuts! And there were a couple of "oops" incidents in which I received somebody ELSE''s wedding gift!!! and didn''t receive a couple of gifts that should have been sent but got "misplaced" for a while. All in all, they were decent, the prices are good, and the store credit comes in handy for other things too.

We chose not to register at a tiny boutique store in our town where most people register, and that ended up being a BIG mistake.... because MOST people like to SHOP there. So they took our Dillard''s registry and copied it... so at my shower I got multiples of almost everything. And when I returned a lot, we ran into the problem of not liking a lot they had to offer. We had a LOT of store credit but ran out of stuff we wanted. We''ve been back twice and we STILL have over $200 in store credit, hoping they will have new inventory next time we''re in town. Guests do what they want, regardless of what you do for them.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Go to a store you like, get a scanning gun from them, and when you see something you want, scan it.
3.gif
As you move through the homewares sections, you''ll get ideas. But in a nutshell, think:

What do you want on your table? plates etc., flatware, etc, linens etc.
What will you cook with? good knives? good pots? knick-knacks? appliances?
What do you want on your bed?
Towels?

Anything else you see and covet!

misysu2

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! Registering was one of the funnest wedding-planning experiences I''ve had to date.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

1. Remember your guests-- most of my guests are coming from rural Iowa and can''t just walk into a Macy''s or Bloomie''s to pick up registered items. Although those department stores do allow web purchases, their online registered items are limited. We went for a more web-friendly registering vendor, Amazon.com, and a more common B&M store, JC Penney''s. This way we have all the selection in the world with Amazon, but if people aren''t comfortable with the internet purchase thing, they can always find a Penney''s. I say this, HOWEVER, if all of your guests come from metro areas, by all means, register where you love!
1.gif

2. Have fun and show your personality! Think about what you need-- now''s the time to get replace your hand me down''s. Furniture? New plates? Photo frames/books? Kitchen supplies?

3. Then think of what you WANT! A Wii? Coffee table books? Posters? A back massager?

4. Most places will also supply you with a list of possible things to register for, also.

Times have changed since people register for china and crystal!!
36.gif

mjso

Shiny_Rock
If you don''t want to register for traditional items (kitchen stuff, bathroom stuff and bedroom stuff) you can still register for things at other stores that might interest you.

If you are into the outdoors REI has a gift registry and you could get all kinds of cool camping gear or sports gear if you are into that stuff.

Also, if you register at a larger department store (like Macy''s) there is a lot more to the store than just China and Silverware.

You mentioned that a lot of your kitchen stuff is handmedowns. Now would be a good time to replace any of that stuff which might be getting worn out, but you aren''t up to buying a new set yourself. Pretty much I think you will get the hang of it once you go to the store and start looking around.

Do you know of anyone who recently got married? Even if you weren''t invited to the wedding, say random people from High School or something, you can always search for their names in the popular registries and browse for what other people are putting on their lists. (You could also just search for a common name, like Smith and look at a random persons registry).

cara

Ideal_Rock
If you like to cook, now might be a good time to upgrade your cookware. Register for individual pieces (not a big set) to get exactly what you want and you can mix and match different brands. We also registered for really nice knives that are such a pleasure to use! (though some cultures find it bad luck to give knives for weddings.) You could also pick out everyday china and silverware if what you have now is mismatched. And of course people love giving small appliances.

Just research what you register for and be careful to stay within the size constraints of your current apartment, unless you have a few items that you are willing to put in storage until your house purchase.

We also registered for nice towels and nice glassware (not crystal) but its really about what you and your FI would use and appreciate and have room for.

BBB was good for us and convenient for our guests, once we stopped letting them pressure us into registering for more more more! We even found a local BBB that was good about putting returns back on our credit card, which is company policy but sporadically available. Sur la table was also great instore, but their website is a little less user-friendly and your guests might not have one around.

A friend had an amazon registry and that also seemed to work well.

FLgirl41

Shiny_Rock
great tips everyone!!!

I will have to print this off to take with us and to show my FI.

But I do still have a question, When we are registering at multiple stores and we find an item we already registered for but maybe better, is it wierd to register for multiple items? how do you choose?

We actually don't have to worry about size constraints on our apartment because my parents said they would store gifts and then drive it down to Florida from Minnesota when we buy a home.

Thank you everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2008 1:52:46 PM
Author: FLgirl41

But I do still have a question, When we are registering at multiple stores and we find an item we already registered for but maybe better, is it wierd to register for multiple items? how do you choose?

I would be careful about putting more than 1 of the same kind of item on different registries because it will confuse guests, and you will probably get BOTH. And then you still have to choose. You can read reviews, spend time comparing the items, or just go with your gut... and chances are the guest may end up buying the other one anyway, but just go with what YOU like.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and you know how they say not to use your wedding gifts until after the wedding... well, I found another more practical reason why that is true...

we registered for, and received, a beautiful set of Wusthof steak knives.

And then a month later we received a set of Laguiole steak knives that I didn''t register for, but I like BETTER. But since I''d already unwrapped the Wusthof, I kept both. Oh well. But still, the Wusthof would have been a nice store credit if I hadn''t opened them.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
We registered at BB&B and Crate&Barrel. I already have a set of decent Dansk stoneware and flatware, so we mainly registered for nice pots and pans, nice knives, barware, some random kitchen utensils, and china.

I''m thinking of adding in another registry because my mom found my china at on online site...it''s the same price but includes a free soup bowl (which costs $80 at BB&B). I''m concerned that I''ll look like I''m gift-grubbing though...what do you think? I know if I were a guest I''d rather give someone an extra piece for the same price, but I dunno?

saltymuffin

Shiny_Rock
Even if you don''t want fine china and crystal, a wedding is a great time to get all those kitchen and dishware things that you are going to need when you do move into that new house in a year or two.

Take your time with the registry, you can add and remove things until you finalise it. That way if you see a nicer duvet cover at one store, you can remove it from the other registry before the "go public".

Also keep in mind what kind of things people like to buy and are looking to buy as wedding gifts. I like to to buy things that the couple will keep forever, and so do a lot of other people. So be sure to register for some of those kinds of things.

My brother registered for all sorts of cheap stuff, and it was a pretty tough registry to pick from. Remember these are gifts and should be special. Choose things a bit nicer than you would buy for yourself, and plan on keeping them for a long time.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2008 1:06:19 PM
Author:FLgirl41

Everything we own for the kitchen is all hand-me downs and we are still renting and don't plan on buying a house for almost a year after we get married.
This is us, too! We're pretty much set up, but don't have anything "nice," really. We tried to think of the important things (cookware, tableware, linens) and pick those first, and let that determine where we registered. Then we could just shop at those places for other "random" items we wanted, but weren't necessarily as picky about.

We're currently using my parents' cookware set (with a few random other pieces thrown in) from about 25 years ago, and while it works just fine, I wanted my own set of cookware.

I chose Le Creuset (I just love their colors!! not to mention cast iron), so I set up a registry at Williams-Sonoma for the cookware pieces. My mom and my future mother-in-law spent a some time with me over the holidays helping to choose which pieces were the most important (we didn't just register for a pre-picked "set"). I also picked out some other kitchen items from W-S (things like baking pans, dish towels, dish rack, and this adorable basket).

For tableware, we just looked through a few of the "big guys" (Crate & Barrel, W-S, Macy's, PB) and ended up finding dishes we liked at Pottery Barn. After picking out our dish set, we found some sheets and towels there that we liked, as well as glass/barware. We also found some cute "token" things (a cute dog treat jar, a glass-top wedding keepsake box, a cake pedestal).

We also needed a serving set (which we actually don't have at all yet), and didn't like any at PB or WS (boo) so we're registered for only those 4 items at Crate and Barrel. It feels a little ridiculous to have a whole registry just for a couple of forks and spoons, but oh well!

We've done all of our registering online, but plan to visit the stores with our registry lists to make sure we like all our choices in person
1.gif

Neveah

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to give you a little piece of advice..... DON''T REGISTER AT TARGET!!!!

My sister in law and brother did..... and WOW what a pain in the ass. Target started a new policy regarding registry items. They will not take ANYTHING back regardless if you have a reciept or not. It doesn''t matter if you have doubles, triples, or just change your mind. They WONT even give you STORE CREDIT. And they don''t update their systems as often so you very well might get more than one of something.
Just FYI

*Don''t get me wrong, I absolutely ADORE Target! But there''s not a chance in hell I''m registering there after hearing the horror stories*

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that most stores give you guides or you can look up random names and see what they registered for. I would register for upgrades. New pots and pans, nice sheets, nice towels, new glasses, everyday plates, serving pieces, kitchen tools, maybe a mix master, blender, etc...that stuff really adds up and one day you will want nice stuff.

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't registered yet, but I will definitely be going to Crate and Barrel. If you go to this link http://www.crateandbarrel.com/gr/default.aspx
There is a little green box to click on that says "50 things you wish someone had told you before you registered"
It's a free book they send you and it has a lot of good tips, I got it and really liked it. Also, C&B (and prob other stores) will have areas on their sites where you can "locate a store" and this feature might help you see the proximity of stores to where your guests are coming from (if you don't already know) and might help your decision.

ETA: My FI and I will have lived together for 4 years (? I think, it's getting hard to keep track
9.gif
) once we're married, and so we obviously already have everything we need. So, I agree with Tacori that you should register for upgrades!!! This is what we'll be doing, and then I think we'll give our stuff away to younger people/couples starting out, because a lot of it is still in great shape. For example, my brother is 3 years younger than me and just starting to move out, so he might need a lot of stuff.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We registered at Macy''s and Crate and Barrel. We almost went with Linens ''n Things instead of Macy''s, and that might have been the better option since BB&B coupons are accepted at Linens ''n Things. Oh well. Most of our registry items are at C&B anyway.

My FI have lived together for 2 years and we don''t need a whole lot. We went with the advice of others here who suggested upgrading. We registered for new pots and pans, a Dyson (to replace our other vaccuum), new bar ware, new bedding, new flatware, and serving dishes. We also added a few candle holders and other decorative items. I just counted and between both stores, we have 48 items. At first I was dreading the thought of registering because I didn''t want to seem greedy (we''re in our 30s and it felt funny to register for something that we could easily buy ourselves). I kind of felt that the concept of registering for items that would help us start our new life together had passed us by a long time ago.

Once we got to the stores and my FI had the scanner in his hand, there was no stopping him. It actually became fun.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Hey FLgirl - we''re in the same boat - totally clueless on what to register for. We have lots and lots of kitchen items already, all new stainless appliances, we have great dinnerware (bone white - dressy and casual), we''re not registering for china - and we''re having a pretty large wedding.

I''m clueless on how many items to register for - of course, I don''t expect gifts, but i KNOW that people will buy things for us, and I''m just trying to let others know what we need/want - and what we don''t want is 20 crystal bowls and vases.

Any idea of how many items to register for? I don''t want to appear greedy, but want our guests to be able to pick and choose their gifts. We''re inviting 250 people to the wedding and having two showers (at the insistence of FI''s aunts).

I''m also curious of the "ideal" price range of the majority of registry items. I only have a handful of things over $100 (mostly sheets and new bedding which my grandmother generously offered to buy)....

Any of you newlyweds have any registry suggestions? What are popular items? Popular price ranges? And did you base how many items on how many guests - so they would have a range to choose from?

scm1012

Shiny_Rock
I am planning to register this weekend and my 3 choices are: Macy''s, Williams Sonoma and BB&B.

Macy''s for china and most things kitchen, bedding and towels. As a Macy''s shopper, I know that you can leave with some pretty good deals during one-day sales, all the savings passes that go out in the mail, etc.

BB&B for bathroom essentials, iron, small kitchen appliances like mixing bowls, graters, baking pans, cleaning supplies, etc.

Williams Sonoma for a stand mixer, and a few Le Crueset(sp) pieces.

Info about us:

FI and I are in our mid 20s(does 27 still count???? haha), first marriage for both and although we do not live together and do not plan to until we are married, we do have some "stuff". Most of it''s from Ikea, Target or Home Goods...so I figure I can always pass that stuff on to one of our younger brothers or cousins who might want it.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
People don''t want you to go thirsty!!!

We got every glass we registered for (except for a couple of crystal pieces that were backordered) and almost a dozen pitchers. Seriously. People must have been worried!

Generally I found that people don''t like to buy 1 of something... say you ask for 12 glasses... if they can, they''ll get you all 12. If it''s crystal, they will buy something else rather then give you 1 glass. It can be annoying. This is why we have a decorative sweetener packet holder that cost the same as the crystal champagne flute we didn''t get. I suppose they wanted me to think of them when I''m using splenda. I don''t know. So, if you can, register for things IN SETS. SETS. People like SETS.

And that even applies to pots and pans... I know, I know... it makes more sense to register for open stock... but it kind of doesn''t because people often would rather go in with other guests and get you the whole set of pans rather than buying you a single skillet. Why? Because it looks like more. And often, sets cost less than the whole thing in open stock.

SETS.

Also small appliances. If you''ve ever wanted a coffee maker, juicer, griddle, toaster, etc... you will get ALL of those before you get a single fork. Again, it looks like something more substantial, even if you would use that single fork WAY more often. Doesn''t matter. If it plugs in, they''ll buy it.

I learned a lot of this too late. I have a dozen crystal bowls. And a dozen pitchers. and a dozen vases.

yeah. avoid that.

SETS!

scm1012

Shiny_Rock
Oh...forgot to add: Fine china isn''t really our style either. It''s a bit too stuffy but I''m registering for it anyway. I am just going to go with a classic and simple pattern and hope that I will get into the idea of using it for tradition''s sake. My parents didn''t register for fine china back in the day and as a kid I always wished my mom had some. And...my mom has said in more recent years that she would like fine china but that it''s too late and that it''s not something she''s really interested in buying for herself.

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
I have to second sumbride''s point about SETS! As a guest to many weddings, I always like to buy people sets if I can, or if I see that they have all but one or two things to complete a set, I like to complete it for them so they get the whole thing. I''m not sure why I do this, but I think it''s because if it were me, I''d like to get a whole set, and not 2 out of 8 glasses or something like that. I give myself a set amount that I want to spend and then I try to get/complete as many sets as possible. Some people might like purchasing a variety of things, but I think it''s so much nicer for the bride and groom to get complete sets. JMO.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, sets. I forgot to add that we also registered for towels and sheets (maybe I mentioned sheets already). We desperately need to replace the ones we have now but we''re hoping these are some of the first items to be marked "fulfilled" on our registry at Macy''s.

Regarding pots and pans...yes, a set does make sense on some level. We wanted a few select pieces but wouldn''t you know it, they don''t come as open stock. Hmmm... What we did was to order a set of Circulon non-stick pots and pans and supplement with a few stainless steel All Clad pieces.

gtn

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t registered yet... I feel like a really need to get myself in gear, but I plan to register for upgrades to my pots, pans, knives. I will do a few sets and and few single pieces. I think the All-clad set would be nice supplemented by some circulon items. I want to get a circulon stock pot, saucier, and fry pan, but the other items I think I want all-clad. I also what to upgrade some of my knives. I have some nice pieces, but I nice set would be really nice. When I get gifts for people, I like to complete sets for them too. It drives me nuts when I don''t have a full set of things, since I like being able to entertain. For those of you who think it is bad luck to get certain items as a gift (knives are bad luck in my culture), when you send your thank you notes, add a penny in the card as payment for the bad luck item. When my parents buy me any item that is bad luck. I give them the change in my pocket or whatever I can find. No harm, no foul.

As for the people who aren''t into "fine china", but think they might be interested in the future, costco has a nice set that is cheap. It is less than $200 for a 63 piece china set with service of 8. It comes in 3 styles (at least my costco has 3 styles.) It looks nice so you get the china look, without the china cost. I think I might get a set and call it a day. I don''t need fine china. I just want something I can use to have a holiday diner. My everyday china is all white restaurant supply, I have a set of 8 (dinner plates, salad plates, coffee cup, saucers - I still need soup bowls though. I haven''t found some that I liked yet)

If you already do have everything, why not register for some items that are fun. Whatever you do, please register. I had a friend who did not register and got all sorts of stuff that they didn''t need. They desperately needed pots, pans, knives, flatware, but ended up with gravy bowls that didn''t match. A bunch of decorative candle holders and a hodgepodge of mismatch wine glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results