shape
carat
color
clarity

Clueless Engagement Ring Shopper Seeking Help :)

sdjosh

Rough_Rock
//Moved from Antique and Vintage Forum//

Hey there everyone. Looking for the perfect ring for my girlfriend and have been scouring the internet for the last couple weeks trying to get a feel for what's out there, but I am pretty much overwhelmed. I've always been a stand alone emerald cut solitaire type of guy (I love the clean lines), but she is really into the vintage look and feel. There is an example that she "pinned" back in October below (initially from rubylane), and I think that would really represent the ideal setting... some filigree, but not over the top. I'm digging the diamond style in the picture, and have also been really impressed with some of the OMC and OEC that have shown up on this forum... they feel much more real and less commercial, but I am probably just projecting.

Any recommendations for how I should approach this search? Do I need to look for setting and stone separately or ? Thanks in advance for any help :)

Budget ~$8k
Ring size: working on it...

_9.jpeg

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Are you sure that THIS is the one? I pin a ton of stuff I find interesting but might not like 100% of the designer - but want to reference later for parts of it. It's IS beautiful, though... You may have her take a look at Beverley K, Gabriel & Co and Jay Leigh Nacht for some "new vintage" type rings.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
*fans self* OMG that is a gorgeous setting!

sdjosh

Rough_Rock
webdiva|1345830458|3256604 said:
Are you sure that THIS is the one? I pin a ton of stuff I find interesting but might not like 100% of the designer - but want to reference later for parts of it. It's IS beautiful, though... You may have her take a look at Beverley K, Gabriel & Co and Jay Leigh Nacht for some "new vintage" type rings.

Trying to be a bit stealthy about this, so having her look is not an option. I'd prefer a true antique if possible, but will definitely take a look at those sites!

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
sdjosh|1345833684|3256623 said:
webdiva|1345830458|3256604 said:

Trying to be a bit stealthy about this, so having her look is not an option. I'd prefer a true antique if possible, but will definitely take a look at those sites!

For the best possible stone (sparkliest at the best price), many on PS advise buying the stone and setting separately. You could even get a vintage stone and go with a new setting. Someone can date that setting better than, but it appears Edwardian.

http://www.jewelsbyericagrace.com/ is very well regarded for antique settings and stones - you can start your search here. They'll even look around for you.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you checked out Single Stone? They are in LA, but also have a website.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

sdjosh

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the great links! I may need to find some additional budget ^^.

Here is the challenge that I'm finding with the setting.
1. I really want the center stone to be the only stone
2. The detail on the band should be primarily on the sides, similar to the picture. (Is there a good way to describe this style?)
3. The band itself should be as simple as possible, given the requisite detail on the side.

Thoughts?

sdjosh

Rough_Rock
purplesilk|1345991398|3257323 said:

First of all, thank you for the links. We are definitely getting closer and there are a couple items under the art nouveau search that have solitaires, and have a the detailed design work limited to the side of the ring. There are a number of candidates on the Jewelryexpert site as well. A couple of new questions just occurred to me:

1. Is it worth looking into doing a custom designed band if I can't find the exact style I want or is it price prohibited?
2. From a diamond perspective, let's say I am leaning towards an OEC. Does this limit the band style? What characteristics does do I need to have? Is it number of prongs or specific crown type?

Thanks!

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
1. Going custom can be very expensive, but most of all very risky: the final product can be different from what you expected.
2. From what I've learnt on this site, most of OEC diamonds have a very thin girdle (easy to chip), so it's better to choose a bezel setting or an illusion setting (the girdle is more protected).

Just a question: have you ever seen an antique diamond in real life?
Another question: have you ever compared diamonds of different carats?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sdjosh|1346076595|3257807 said:
1. Is it worth looking into doing a custom designed band if I can't find the exact style I want or is it price prohibited?
2. From a diamond perspective, let's say I am leaning towards an OEC. Does this limit the band style? What characteristics does do I need to have? Is it number of prongs or specific crown type?

1) It really depends on what vendor you use. Some are less expensive than others.
2) If you get a real antique, many of them have thin girdles, and you should have either six prongs or an illusion setting or a bezel to protect it from chipping. If you get a newly-cut antique-lookalike, such as the August Vintage Rounds by Good Old Gold, it doesn't need to be treated differently than any other stone.

http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=94
http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1184
http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=3075

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

sdjosh

Rough_Rock
@distracts and Gypsy... I really like that first one as well. I'm marking that one and will search a bit more to see if there is a version with the detail confined to the sides

@purple silk... Great site! I've made it through half the settings on the site and will hopefully finish up soon.

The search continues!

Continuing refinement on the criteria:
1. center stone only
2. OEC
3. filigree styling, but confined to the sides of the ring

Searching for more budget... so if something is a little more pricey, but fits the bill... lemme know!

sdjosh

Rough_Rock
Searchin day and night!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i like the idea of getting a AVC from good old gold and then setting it in either a vintage setting you like or like a Beverly k vintage style setting

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results