shape
carat
color
clarity

Cloudy trillions

I hope that your jeweler's recommendation for swapping out your original stones were due to ignorance and not something more skeevy. As in, they just wanted to help but didn't really understand the true problem, as opposed to just trying to make a sale off of you.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the oils and lotions and soap residue and whatever else is on the pavilions are (like Yssie mentioned) basically bonded on.

This happened to my asscher once in the beginning and I’m not kidding that it took 3 days (and 3 days of my time, not just ten mins a day). I believe Yssie when she mentioned a box of toothpicks. I used small wooden food skewers and you need a loupe to keep track of your progress.

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
I think the oils and lotions and soap residue and whatever else is on the pavilions are (like Yssie mentioned) basically bonded on.

This happened to my asscher once in the beginning and I’m not kidding that it took 3 days (and 3 days of my time, not just ten mins a day). I believe Yssie when she mentioned a box of toothpicks. I used small wooden food skewers and you need a loupe to keep track of your progress.

I recently purchased a ring ( in my avatar) that required 3 days of soaking and scrubbing to get the “gunk” off. I posted a picture of the purchase before the 3 day bath. The person obviously didn’t clean the lotion and whatever else off her ring. There are treasures under the grime.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Instead of Dawn, I used the Mama Magical dishwashing liquid to keep my rings sparkly clean - all thanks to the nano cleaning technology! ;)2

6c5307dd997fd570be2af5cde1d4def2.jpg

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I recently purchased a ring ( in my avatar) that required 3 days of soaking and scrubbing to get the “gunk” off. I posted a picture of the purchase before the 3 day bath. The person obviously didn’t clean the lotion and whatever else off her ring. There are treasures under the grime.

I'm working with a jeweler who asked a customer if she "baked a lot of cookies." He said the ring was so filthy it looked like cookie dough was pushed into it. WHAT do people think? I'd hate to see the oil on the dipstick in her car.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm working with a jeweler who asked a customer if she "baked a lot of cookies." He said the ring was so filthy it looked like cookie dough was pushed into it. WHAT do people think? I'd hate to see the oil on the dipstick in her car.

I feel like you should be able to do that with a ring that's just diamonds and platinum. Spouse's simple solitaire looks brand-new after a quick soak and scrub with a toothbrush.

Who wants a ring like a suede jacket? "Can't risk getting my diamond dirty!"

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like boiling water and dish detergent soaks for my rings. I use Dawn detergent. Just put the ring in a coffee cup, as a couple of drops of detergent and boiling water. Let them soak for 15 minutes, take them out and use a toothbrush or other brush to get inside the ring where lotion builds up. This works fine for metal and diamonds. Not suggested for delicate gems like opals or pearls.

Sorry your jeweler tried to put one over on you with trillion replacement.
Add a dash of ammonia to the mix and that should get the gunk off the contact points between the diamonds and the under rails.
Always use boiling water and forget about soft brushes - get stiff tooth brush!

mooshmoosh

Rough_Rock
Hi there, long time lurker but felt obliged to post as I've had a very similar experience, although not with trillions but with pear side stones in my engagement ring. My jeweller replaced them 3 times for me in the first year of me having the ring, always in the same setting. Every time they were replaced they would sparkle beautifully loose and also when set but would very quickly become dull and cloudy. I am and always have been very diligent cleaning my jewellery so found this incredibly frustrating. My centre cushion would be easy to clean but the pears were impossible.

I came to the conclusion that the pointed tip needs to be super clean to perform well, and as my pears were around .15ct there was just proportionately too much metal around and underneath the tip to be able to get it super clean. Also the pears tilted downwards slightly and the tilt seemed to make them look even worse when dirty from a top down perspective. I wonder if its a similar situation with the pointed tips and performance of a trillion. My jeweller suggested having the ring professionally refurbished and cleaned frequently to resolve. Perhaps your jeweller will offer you that? In the end I had my cushion reset as a halo so can't comment on whether that worked for me, but I feel that, as others have said, being able to clean the trillions is the key point here.

sad about trillions

Rough_Rock
Hi there, long time lurker but felt obliged to post as I've had a very similar experience, although not with trillions but with pear side stones in my engagement ring. My jeweller replaced them 3 times for me in the first year of me having the ring, always in the same setting. Every time they were replaced they would sparkle beautifully loose and also when set but would very quickly become dull and cloudy. I am and always have been very diligent cleaning my jewellery so found this incredibly frustrating. My centre cushion would be easy to clean but the pears were impossible.

I came to the conclusion that the pointed tip needs to be super clean to perform well, and as my pears were around .15ct there was just proportionately too much metal around and underneath the tip to be able to get it super clean. Also the pears tilted downwards slightly and the tilt seemed to make them look even worse when dirty from a top down perspective. I wonder if its a similar situation with the pointed tips and performance of a trillion. My jeweller suggested having the ring professionally refurbished and cleaned frequently to resolve. Perhaps your jeweller will offer you that? In the end I had my cushion reset as a halo so can't comment on whether that worked for me, but I feel that, as others have said, being able to clean the trillions is the key point here.

Wow! Thank you for sharing your similar story. Can you explain what you mean by pointed tips ?

sad about trillions

Rough_Rock
I hope that your jeweler's recommendation for swapping out your original stones were due to ignorance and not something more skeevy. As in, they just wanted to help but didn't really understand the true problem, as opposed to just trying to make a sale off of you.

I hope so too. And I am going to believe that it was done in good faith. But when it didn’t work out I would have hoped he stood behind his work. That part was tough.

sad about trillions

Rough_Rock
I would be very angry too. Did you keep your old trillions?

No, I have the original trillions now for a total of FOUR trillions lol. The old two are loose upstairs in a box. And guess what they look amazing and sparkling clean out of the setting. So frustrated.

sad about trillions

Rough_Rock
I’m sorry that happened to you. :(2 Your ring is pretty.

I have a similar problem with trillions and if I had to do it over would never get them as side stones. I use hot water and dish soap and let it soak for a while, then hold it under running water to rinse.

BADAED6B-96FC-4A94-8061-AAEFE2D70CAE.jpeg

Your ring is beautiful !

sad about trillions

Rough_Rock
Instead of Dawn, I used the Mama Magical dishwashing liquid to keep my rings sparkly clean - all thanks to the nano cleaning technology! ;)2

6c5307dd997fd570be2af5cde1d4def2.jpg

Thanks! Where do you buy this mama Magica?

No, I have the original trillions now for a total of FOUR trillions lol. The old two are loose upstairs in a box. And guess what they look amazing and sparkling clean out of the setting. So frustrated.

FWIW, it makes me feel a bit better about your vendor. That he probably just didn't know any better and wasn't trying to cheat you out of something. Maybe.

Hm, maybe you can create a 2nd piece like a pendant or something with all your trillions?

sad about trillions

Rough_Rock
+1. The story lines up with this interpretation completely. I have to be careful when designing a ring with bezel-set/flush-mounted stones to leave a big cavity underneath.

Are you interested in resetting my ring? I’m serious!

sad about trillions

Rough_Rock
your trillions look filthy underneath on the pavilion. Steam or a toothbrush isn’t going to be able to get under there.

also, do you wear your ring all the time?

you are going to need an ultrasonic, some powder cascade dishwashing detergent, near boiling water and about 3 days worth of effort and probably an overnight soak to get them clean.

i‘ve never soaked in cascade, so I’d only soak in something a professional recommends. Probably Mr. Clean citrus and water will be good.

Again, tell me when you take your ring off.

I wear my ring most of the time... I take it off at night and put it on in the morning after I shower and do my hair. I do everything I can to avoid soap but a few times a day I do have to wash my hands. That’s it. No lotion, no shower. I’ve tried ultrasonic that sometimes seems to make it worse. I’ve done the overnight soak as well. Many many times. Hot water, dawn dish soap, laundry detergent, professional cleaning solitons (lavish etc ) , professional steamer ... I even tried denture cleaner once.

sad about trillions

Rough_Rock
I also had this ring with trillions. I did upgrade the trillions for better quality than the original pair because of the same issue. These cleaned up much easier and better, and I could get under them with a toothbrush, but I would agree with others that they never sparkled as pretty as I could get the center stone to sparkle, unless I took it back to the jeweler for cleaning.

F738E2D2-EE6F-477D-80D4-56EAB1ECEF84.jpeg

A17008C6-A5CB-496A-A772-C18569E500A2.jpeg

Beautiful ring!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you interested in resetting my ring? I’m serious!

I'm just a critic -- I can't actually do anything. :cool2:

I meant when I conceive an idea and ask somebody to execute it!

I'm sure one could design a mounting for the trilliants that would leave enough clearance underneath.

sad about trillions

Rough_Rock
I'm just a critic -- I can't actually do anything. :cool2:

I meant when I conceive an idea and ask somebody to execute it!

I'm sure one could design a mounting for the trilliants that would leave enough clearance underneath.

Lol!! You’d be surprised. I’ve been to so many jewelers and I always get the same response- “resetting it would compromise the integrity of the ring. “

Just a thought: if you do decide to reset your ring without using the trillions, how about creating a different piece of jewelry with the trillions? I have a friend who has a pair of earrings with trillions that look like bow ties - she has a small diamond in the centre, but you could probably put a coloured stone as well. I just think it looks super pretty :) if you do remake your ring to a more open setting which will allow your trillions to shine, perhaps you can use your original trillions just as (interesting) studs or a bow tie shaped pendant, so at least you recoup some value :)

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder why side baguettes don't have this issue?

I’m wondering the same thing. Does anyone know? I have “shield cut” diamonds on the side of my ring and (so far) I haven‘t had any sparkle issues. Is this issue specific somehow to trillions?

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
I found this on the Internet. But, I’m wondering if the solution is a good cleaning, a reset with more access to the trillions or different side stones? This is super interesting. For what it’s worth, if you want to reset, you might want to email David Klass because he did a reset for me (I had an eternity band in a channel type of setting and he switched it to prong) and he gave me credit for the platinum and it turned out to be affordable (in jewelry terms). Maybe you need more access to those trillions? good luck, I am so curious about this as I also have side stones on my ring FAA4843B-1795-4467-BE89-C0460DD19ADA.png

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use an electric toothbrush head - just swap it out from the one I use on my teeth - before, during and after soaking in dawn, boiling water, ultrasonic. Sometimes it takes several times. Be sure to brush from the bottom and angle it all around, rinse, soak, repeat.

And mark the Jewel scrubber head with an X so you don’t accidentally stick it in your mouth :)

sad about trillions

Rough_Rock
Just a thought: if you do decide to reset your ring without using the trillions, how about creating a different piece of jewelry with the trillions? I have a friend who has a pair of earrings with trillions that look like bow ties - she has a small diamond in the centre, but you could probably put a coloured stone as well. I just think it looks super pretty :) if you do remake your ring to a more open setting which will allow your trillions to shine, perhaps you can use your original trillions just as (interesting) studs or a bow tie shaped pendant, so at least you recoup some value :)

I love the idea of the bow tie !! I emailed david klass who someone on here recommended- maybe I can have him do that for me

sad about trillions

Rough_Rock
I found this on the Internet. But, I’m wondering if the solution is a good cleaning, a reset with more access to the trillions or different side stones? This is super interesting. For what it’s worth, if you want to reset, you might want to email David Klass because he did a reset for me (I had an eternity band in a channel type of setting and he switched it to prong) and he gave me credit for the platinum and it turned out to be affordable (in jewelry terms). Maybe you need more access to those trillions? good luck, I am so curious about this as I also have side stones on my ring FAA4843B-1795-4467-BE89-C0460DD19ADA.png

Thanks! I emailed David. Honestly I’m so done. I clean and scrub and soak these things and they never come out clean. Better .... but never clean.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! I emailed David. Honestly I’m so done. I clean and scrub and soak these things and they never come out clean. Better .... but never clean.

David and Amy will take care of you. In my opinion, they are honest and won’t give you bad advice. They both know a lot. You could ask them if there is a better stone to pick for the sides. I mentioned that I have Cadillac or shield cut side stones and I don’t have any problems with those. Life is too short not to be happy, get something you love! They have a great IG page and there is a forum on here with David Klass pieces- maybe focus on the 3 stone rings and see what you like

sad about trillions

Rough_Rock
David and Amy will take care of you. In my opinion, they are honest and won’t give you bad advice. They both know a lot. You could ask them if there is a better stone to pick for the sides. I mentioned that I have Cadillac or shield cut side stones and I don’t have any problems with those. Life is too short not to be happy, get something you love! They have a great IG page and there is a forum on here with David Klass pieces- maybe focus on the 3 stone rings and see what you like

Thank you!! I totally agree.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results