shape
carat
color
clarity

Close enough???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
Okay, here are my questions of the day.

I were to buy a blue zircon that is and 7.8 wide and 6.0 long, would that fit into a emi mount that is 6 x8? Would the .2 matter?

Is a blue zircon hard enough to wear every day?

Thanks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it would fit in the semi-mount

It is too soft for everyday wear, especially if you''re rough with your gems.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
That .2 would probably not matter.

And I wouldn't. Zircon is very easily abraded, and even after only a few years the edges of the facets can be worn smooth. If you live in a very dry climate, this will happen because of the dust in the air, and not even wearing it all of the time. (I have evidence of this in a stone I purchased not long ago. It has never been set, but spent most of it's life in Arizona, and the table edges are abraded pretty badly.)

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
would a blue tourmaline or topaz be better?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the outline itself. If the sides are very "bumpy" with the corners actually much less than 8 x 6, it may not fit. If the sides are straight, it isn't an issue and the stone should fit the setting. A zircon should be reserved as a special occasion ring because it is quite soft.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blue tourmaline isn''t really blue blue unless you''re looking at paraibas, which I''m guessing is not the case. Tourmaline isn''t really good for everyday wear anyway. Blue topaz is better but it has perfect cleavage the way a diamond does. So if you hit it in the right spot, it can break.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve seen very pretty indicolites (blue tourmalines) but those with an open colour and not too dark are more expensive and harder to find.

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
Are diamonds and sapphires the only stones for everyday wear? Say it ain''t so!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If worn with care (removed before doing housework), your options open up to include spinels and garnets. Both types come in an array of fantastic colours.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spinel :) (I would also suggest garnet except it doesn't really come in blue, which seems to be the color you're partial to)

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
So if I give up house work I can wear anything???? Sounds like a win-win!!!
31.gif

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Was just going to say spinel, as well, but bookworm beat me to it. Maybe not "every day" wear like you might with your diamond, but almost every day. From my understanding, it''s fairly hard and the tones of blue may have a grey modifier but still look really nice. Others'' thoughts?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s right, she''s looking for blues... Blue spinels have a tendency to have gray undertones which gives a steely and cold look. Blue garnets are very rare; if there are any, it''ll be a colour change garnet from blue to red which are now quite expensive and difficult to find. The best everyday wear blue stone is still a sapphire.

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
I am looking in the blue to sea foam color range.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In that case, I'd go with either a tourmaline, zircon or topaz. However, all 3 are not everday rings.
15.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are actually some affordable light blue sapphires out there since light blue (like aquamarine shade) isn't the blue most people want in their sapphires. They can be hard to find, but might be worth it :)
I recently bought a very affordable light sapphire, which was discounted primarily for the color. Depending on the budget, you may need to make concessions on cut and clarity though to get a sapphire.

If you gave us an idea of budget, I'm sure many of us would enjoy hunting down some possibilities :)

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
I have about $350 ish. I am comfortable either buying a stone with that money or a setting. Of course I would be thrilled to get both, but not sure that will work out.....Thank you so much for your kind offer to help!! I will take you up on it.
36.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any shape in particular?

Here's a pretty sapphire, it's a light blue (shifts to light lilac), it's a bit over budget but they have been open to offers in the past, so if you like it, it wouldn't hurt to ask if they'd sell it for 350$, it's been listed awhile so they might :)

Light blue sapphire

A light blue, untreated sapphire from John at Gemrite
gemrite blue
(he also has some aquas in budget)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know if you''ve ruled out aquas, but here''s one from Michael in a neat shape. 1.14 carats and measures 7.75mm x 6mm, 200$

BarrelAqua3.jpg

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
What do you think of this one?

peye.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn''t think the other photo was very flattering :/

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
Thanks...at frist I was looking for an aqua, but wasn''t having any luck. Tomorrow is another day for hunting. :

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/30/2009 9:11:56 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I don''t know if you''ve ruled out aquas, but here''s one from Michael in a neat shape. 1.14 carats and measures 7.75mm x 6mm, 200$
OOOH,,, that is purdy
30.gif
that is a fun shape

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/30/2009 9:32:51 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I didn''t think the other photo was very flattering :/
If you like the blue, you might ask John at GemRite to take another set of pics. These were taken with his old lighting system, and he must not have gotten to retaking this stone yet. I liked a garnet, but not the color shift, and once he retook the pics to be more realistic, it was much, much more attractive.

Worth a shot! :)

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
Great ideas about contacting the jeweler. I hadn''t seem the other shot MTG, and I think you are right. Any thoughts about this tourmaline?

toot.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I really don''t like the cut on that stone (and I''m not overly picky on cut).

I wouldn''t advise acqua for everyday wear either I''m afraid.

My e-ring is garnet, and I only wear it when I''m out - it goes in a box as soon as I get home.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/1/2009 6:30:56 AM
Author: bookworm240
Great ideas about contacting the jeweler. I hadn't seem the other shot MTG, and I think you are right. Any thoughts about this tourmaline?
I like the color, at least it's not muddy like so many tourmalines, and it's bright, and doesn't appear to have a heavy grey mask that afflict so many aquas I see. It has a poor cut on it and might look better with a recut, especially a concave cut, but since it's so light in saturation, it might also lose color on a recut.

Just be careful about ebay stones (if that's where it's from), a lot of vendors do retouches of photos. I don't think you want to share the vendor name with the forum, but there are some I stay completely away from.

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info TL.....let''s say you could find this vendor on an auction site ;-)

I am about to take this in a whole different direction.....I have this setting. The center stone is a cz.It''s very pretty but th center stone is so obviously fake I can''t wear it. I had the idea driving this morning that I could reset it with a pale pink sapphire. I would wear it as an alternative to my wedding set....not everyday, but when I want a change. I have a boy and a girl so the pink and blue could be sentimental....

What do you think?

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.CM_SCID.coll.item.J21394.desc.Tacori-Epiphany-Diamonique-3-Stone-Engraved-Royal-Ring

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d skip the aquamarine idea too. It''s too soft for an everyday ring as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results