shape
carat
color
clarity

Cleaning sapphire in ammonia okay?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rough_Rock
I have a sapphire and diamond platinum band. Is it okay if I clean it in a mixture of hot water/ammonia/ivory soap with baby toothbrush? This is what I do for my diamond solitaire engagement ring but wasn''''t sure if it''''s okay with sapphires too?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/24/2009 9:02:51 PM
Author:2010
I have a sapphire and diamond platinum band. Is it okay if I clean it in a mixture of hot water/ammonia/ivory soap with baby toothbrush? This is what I do for my diamond solitaire engagement ring but wasn''t sure if it''s okay with sapphires too?
I have a feeling you shouldn''t use ammonia for coloured gems, I will ask admin to move this to coloured stones, the folk there will be able to tell you if ammonia is safe for sapphires but I don''t think it is....

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I''m pretty sure ammonia is fine for sapphires.

But definitely do NOT use it for pearls, coral, cameos, opals, turquoise.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not sure. My jewelry cleaner is an amonia based product - my jeweler says its fine for both diamonds and sapphires, but nothing else. I still don''t clean my sapphires that much with it, because it makes me nervous. Hopefully someone else will chime in!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use a homemade ammonia mixture to clean my sapphire ring all the time. I use it on most gemstones actually! I don''t think you will have any problems.

Rough_Rock
Ok thank you all.

Is boiling water suppose to be okay for sapphires? I boil the water and then put it in a non-metal container and put my rings in it for 5-10 mins.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would be very careful of boiling water. The problem is not the temperature, but rather temperature shock which may crack a stone.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Getting a sapphire clean is pretty easy if you know what the "stuff" is that you''re trying to clean off of it. If it''s something oily or greasy, then ammonia would work pretty well. If it''s hard water deposits then you''re better off soaking the stone in a mild acid like vinegar and then cleaning it. Boiling water would only be a problem for sapphires if they already have a fracture. Don''t try boiling water on peridot or tanzanite though...POP! Pretty gravel could be the end result.

The Future Mrs.

Rough_Rock

I have a yellow sapphire and white diamond engagement ring, and I only use mild soap and water.

My sapphire jewelry care guide from the Natural Sapphire Company

states: Don not subject your fine jewelry to physical shock or extreme temperature changes.

It also states: The best way to clena sapphire jewelry is with warm soapy warm and a soft brush without soaking it. Avoid harsh detergents. Never clean your jewelry with solvents such as alcohol, acetone, or paint thinner.

This is the info I have about it.
1.gif

exturkconner

Rough_Rock
My gf soaks her rings over night in a bath of soda water. The bubbles for whatever reason seem to surround the ring. It seems somehow or other that the bubbles surrounding and passing over actually gives a gentle scrub. Makes for very sparkly stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results