shape
carat
color
clarity

Cleaning an Antique Ruby Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I have an antique ruby ring that I got for my graduation in May. It would be great if I could clean it, but I don''t know what to use. It''s got a ruby center stone, diamonds, silver, and rose gold. Here is the link if it helps. Thanks in advance!

*M*

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
If you are not 100% sure of what the metals are, I would just brush off dirt or dust with a supersoft brush (i.e. under the stones) and wipe off residues on the surface of the stones with a soft polishing cloth. I wouldn''t use any wet solvents until you have it tested by a jeweler for the metal content, especially because your ring is an antique. If there is some gunk that absolutely won''t come off with a dry brush...you could try a little water and a gentle ''scrub.''

Can you take it back to the jewelry store where it was purchased and ask what they would suggest? Maybe they would even clean it for you
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a ruby is fine in the regular jar of jewelry cleaner.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Love in Bloom: Thanks! I am worried about using actual jewelry cleaner on it since it''s got silver (I believe) and gold on it. It doesn''t have any type of stain or mark on it, but I do like to keep my rings clean, so was just wondering how I could do it. I can''t take it to the original jeweler because I got it in my hometown and I live 2500 miles away on the coast.

Diamondseeker: Thanks for your help! I thought about using my normal jewelry cleaner which I use for my wedding and engagement ring, but it says that you shouldn''t put silver in it, so I have some separate silver cleaner that I use on silver jewelry. Since it''s both metals I am not sure what to do. I didn''t know the ruby would be fine in the normal cleaner... kind of new at cleaning different gemstones.

Is there any type of a universal type of cleaner? Like just dishwashing soap and hot water? I am not sure how the silver would react to that. I am kind of worried about it because I have a silver ring that was exposed to *something* while I was cleaning it that made it tarnish, which took a lot of elbow grease (and worry) to get off. Thanks again!

*M*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results