shape
carat
color
clarity

Clean eating???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I saw a magazine dedicated to clean eating. I was curious what it was about; it looked like whole grains, lean meats, lots of fruits and veggies and no processed stuff. I was wondering if anyone does clean eating? Or focuses on clean eating??

I notice with me if I buy lots of processed food I tend to get cravings for more processed stuff. I also notice if I get 5 fruits and veggies, eat nuts, eat whole grain, and eat beans and lentils I feel better overall. I am trying to cook at home and not buy as much processed stuff and if I do, I make sure it is whole grain, no corn syrup, etc. Any suggestions in books you like?? Any tips? Thanks!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve never heard this called "clean eating". I converted to this method of eating about a yr ago. I kind of fell of the bandwagon, but overall, I feel a lot better. I try and buy only whole grain products without high fructose corn syrup (you''d be surprised how much bread has HFCS in it, yuck!). We eat brown rice, quinoa, pork, fish, etc. We eat a steamed vegtable with every dinner. I''ve heard you can shop the perimeter of the grocery store to eliminate the processed foods.

I actually was watching "Good Eats" last night and Alton explained why you are more satisifed after eating whole grain compared to processed foods w/ sugar. He explained that when you eat, your body releases insulin. Lots of processed/sugary foods=lots of released insulin which results in an overabundance of insulin with nothing to do. So, that triggers your body to want more sugary/processed foods to feed the insulin.(spike in sugar levels) If you eat whole grain etc, your body releases insulin at a more controlled rate making you feel full and not craving all the bad stuff. This is also a good example of why eating smaller meals every 3 hours is good for you (keeps your blood sugar levels at a consistant level).

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 11:49:18 AM
Author:Skippy123
So I saw a magazine dedicated to clean eating. I was curious what it was about; it looked like whole grains, lean meats, lots of fruits and veggies and no processed stuff. I was wondering if anyone does clean eating? Or focuses on clean eating??

I notice with me if I buy lots of processed food I tend to get cravings for more processed stuff. I also notice if I get 5 fruits and veggies, eat nuts, eat whole grain, and eat beans and lentils I feel better overall. I am trying to cook at home and not buy as much processed stuff and if I do, I make sure it is whole grain, no corn syrup, etc. Any suggestions in books you like?? Any tips? Thanks!

I''m really trying to adopt a cleaner more "whole" eating practice. Don''t get me wrong, we still have processed stuff in the house, like peanut butter, but no more cakes, cookies, ice cream etc. It''s only been a week and it was definitely inspired by being pregnant, but I''m hoping it will make a difference in my pg symptoms and I''ll be able to stick with it long term.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 12:01:16 PM
Author: BeachRunner
I've never heard this called 'clean eating'. I converted to this method of eating about a yr ago. I kind of fell of the bandwagon, but overall, I feel a lot better. I try and buy only whole grain products without high fructose corn syrup (you'd be surprised how much bread has HFCS in it, yuck!). We eat brown rice, quinoa, pork, fish, etc. We eat a steamed vegtable with every dinner. I've heard you can shop the perimeter of the grocery store to eliminate the processed foods.

I actually was watching 'Good Eats' last night and Alton explained why you are more satisifed after eating whole grain compared to processed foods w/ sugar. He explained that when you eat, your body releases insulin. Lots of processed/sugary foods=lots of released insulin which results in an overabundance of insulin with nothing to do. So, that triggers your body to want more sugary/processed foods to feed the insulin.(spike in sugar levels) If you eat whole grain etc, your body releases insulin at a more controlled rate making you feel full and not craving all the bad stuff. This is also a good example of why eating smaller meals every 3 hours is good for you (keeps your blood sugar levels at a consistant level).
Oh I wish I saw that Alton Brown Episode maybe I can see if there is a repeat on the food network. Thanks for chiming in; I feel so much better overall when I do eat less processed or none at all and don't have nutty cravings like I do when I eat processed foods so that highlighted part above makes A LOT of Sense!! That is interesting to hear the science it all, thanks.

On another note, I was surprised the other day I was going to buy some peanut butter and I read the nutrition labels but never really looked at the ingredients. I flipped about 6 different brands of pb over and ALL of them had High Fructose corn Syrup; I was in shock!
23.gif
Anyway I found one organic brand of pb and it was just nuts, olive oil and salt.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 12:04:49 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

I'm really trying to adopt a cleaner more 'whole' eating practice. Don't get me wrong, we still have processed stuff in the house, like peanut butter, but no more cakes, cookies, ice cream etc. It's only been a week and it was definitely inspired by being pregnant, but I'm hoping it will make a difference in my pg symptoms and I'll be able to stick with it long term.
Oh Hudson Hawk, congratulations!!!! That is very Exciting news!!!!!
36.gif
Oh good for you making those changes! If you look there are organic pb's that don't use corn syrup, just thought I would mention that as I noted that I had a hard time finding it but they are out there. Kudos!

eta: I know I can't do it exactly 100% but I think I will be more cognizant of what is out there and make better decisions.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 12:15:07 PM
Author: Skippy123
Oh I wish I saw that Alton Brown Episode maybe I can see if there is a repeat on the food network. Thanks for chiming in; I feel so much better overall when I do eat less processed or none at all and don''t have nutty cravings like I do when I eat processed foods. That would be interesting to hear the science behind the whole foods eating or clean eating as the magazine called it so thanks for the info.

On another note, I was surprised the other day I was going to buy some peanut butter and I read the nutrition labels but never really looked at the ingredients. I flipped about 6 different brands of pb over and ALL of them had High Fructose corn Syrup; I was in shock!
23.gif
Anyway I found one organic brand of pb and it was just nuts, olive oil and salt.
I''m totally "that person" in the grocery store that looks at all the labels. It''s shocking to see all the processed sugars in everyday foods!
32.gif

Oh, and the Alton episode was about rice and beans.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 12:21:17 PM

I'm totally 'that person' in the grocery store that looks at all the labels. It's shocking to see all the processed sugars in everyday foods!
32.gif

Well I know I am now going to try hard be that person too!!! I looked at a bread I always buy that is high in fiber and I noticed the label said "now, no high fructose corn syrup." I thought, oh my I was eating that in my bread?!? Thank you BR! I will look for that episode; I love beans and lentils, very filling.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 12:17:41 PM

I''m really trying to adopt a cleaner more ''whole'' eating practice. Don''t get me wrong, we still have processed stuff in the house, like peanut butter, but no more cakes, cookies, ice cream etc. It''s only been a week and it was definitely inspired by being pregnant, but I''m hoping it will make a difference in my pg symptoms and I''ll be able to stick with it long term.
36.gif
Oh good for you making those changes! If you look there are orgainic pb''s that don''t use corn syrup, just thought I would mention that as I noted that I had a hard time finding it but they are out there. Kudos!

LOL, thanks Skippy! I ended up just getting the whole foods kind that you can grind there in the store yourself.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 12:26:54 PM

Date: 1/12/2010 12:17:41 PM

I''m really trying to adopt a cleaner more ''whole'' eating practice. Don''t get me wrong, we still have processed stuff in the house, like peanut butter, but no more cakes, cookies, ice cream etc. It''s only been a week and it was definitely inspired by being pregnant, but I''m hoping it will make a difference in my pg symptoms and I''ll be able to stick with it long term.
36.gif
Oh good for you making those changes! If you look there are orgainic pb''s that don''t use corn syrup, just thought I would mention that as I noted that I had a hard time finding it but they are out there. Kudos!

LOL, thanks Skippy! I ended up just getting the whole foods kind that you can grind there in the store yourself.
I should probably do that too, next time! It is probably the freshest!!!
9.gif

É

étoile

Date: 1/12/2010 12:21:17 PM

Date: 1/12/2010 12:15:07 PM
Oh I wish I saw that Alton Brown Episode maybe I can see if there is a repeat on the food network. Thanks for chiming in; I feel so much better overall when I do eat less processed or none at all and don''t have nutty cravings like I do when I eat processed foods. That would be interesting to hear the science behind the whole foods eating or clean eating as the magazine called it so thanks for the info.

23.gif
I''m totally ''that person'' in the grocery store that looks at all the labels. It''s shocking to see all the processed sugars in everyday foods!
32.gif

I wish I knew how to read labels better. Some things like the HFCS and MSG I check for. What else should I be looking to cut out?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 4:22:06 PM
Author: étoile

I wish I knew how to read labels better. Some things like the HFCS and MSG I check for. What else should I be looking to cut out?
You''re right on with what to watch out for. Look for additives including salt and sugars, which is MSG and HFCS.

The easier it is to read the label, the better it is for you in the long run, probably.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 6:31:29 PM

Date: 1/12/2010 4:22:06 PM
Author: étoile

You''re right on with what to watch out for. Look for additives including salt and sugars, which is MSG and HFCS.

The easier it is to read the label, the better it is for you in the long run, probably.
ETA, when you are buying whole grain bread, etc, make sure its 100% whole grain. Some labels are confusing; "multi grain" and "honey wheat" are labels you still watch; A lot of times they do contain enriched white flour.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We say we eat "clean" in our house, but I'm not sure if our definition is the same as others' definitions.

When I say we're eating clean I mean that we are eating whole foods that aren't processed or filled with preservatives or sugars. We've been eating this way since shortly after we moved in together, so about a year and a half ago, and we both feel really good.

My best tip: Don't shop at Jewel or Dominick's.
3.gif
Both stores carry a lot of crap foods, and if you can avoid them, do. We have a lot of other grocery store options right near our house (Sunset Foods, Garden Fresh, Whole Foods, Fresh Garden) as well as farmers' markets.
I read the Chowhound threads every once and a while, and a poster over there has a signature quote that reads something like "I've been to hell, and it was a Jewel Osco." I always laugh out loud when I read that.

ETA: It's a lot easier to clean when you cook or prepare your meals yourself. I make almost everything we eat from scratch, so I see exactly what goes into our bodies.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date: 1/12/2010 11:49:18 AM
Author:Skippy123

no more goodies??
18.gif
can''t imagine torturing myself.
39.gif

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I just bought a new cookbook before Christmas called "Clean Food" by Terry Walters. It explains this concept of eating whole, unrefined foods. It is also a vegan cookbook (although you have to read the recipes and notice that there are no animal products in the ingredients to figure that out!!!).

My fiance and I have eaten this way since we met/moved in together about 9 months ago. It feels incredible!!!

annadragon

Shiny_Rock
I do a version of this known better in some circles as Primal/Paleo. The premise behind "clean" eating is mainly (for me) a removal of what I consider "frankenfoods" or industrial and processed, foods which haven''t any nutritional contribution to the diet.
HFCS - out
Processed veggie oils -out
mechanically expressed oils like coconut and olive oil - good to go
Dairy with fillers like caranegeen - out
I could go on.

Organic is controversial in part because the label as ordained by the USDA is catering to corporations. So I try to shop local and get as much info about my food as I can.

Also, shopping the perimeter of a grocery store, while not foolproof, typically leads to finding less fillers/industrial frankenfood products.

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
I hadn''t heard of clean eating either but I make an effort to eat less processed, more organic, less meat, and more veggies and seafood and only whole grains. I try to make at least one vegetarian dinner a week and serve at least one veggie as part of a meal. I always read labels when grocery shopping. I try to buy things with short ingredient lists with ingredients that are natural. I don''t buy: (1) anything with HFCS or is high in sugar, (2) any farmed seafood or seafood that''s overfished, (3) any meats, eggs or dairy with hormones or antibiotics or (4) any carb that isn''t whole grain. If there''s a TJ''s near you, they carry a tasty organic whole grain bread that comes in a bag trimmed in yellow. I just found a online vendor for organic, grassfed beef: www.grasslandbeef.com. They are reasonably priced, offer free shipping and, based on what I''ve read online, enjoy a good reputation. They also sell organic chicken and natural pork, as well as organic butter and cheeses. I''m gonna try them and see how it is.

Happy (healthy) eating!
1.gif

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I didn't know it had a name, this is just how I eat healthy. Brown rice, fruit and vege, grains, nuts, lean meats. Only processed things I have is a grainy bread (max 2 slices a day) and soy milk. The processed stuff is conviniant but unnessesary IMO, hate reading the lables on food and seeing words I can't pronounce, don't no what they are or just a bunch of numbers, I don't think that can be good for you!

This kind of eating makes me feel good, I don't crave the crap stuff anymore, I don't tend to eat as much and it helps me loose weight. I guess it does feel 'clean' too.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
So, my husband is into this clean eating, and we''ve completely outed processed foods in the house (soda, pretzels, etc). We weren''t bad eaters to begin with as you can read from my previous notes. We purchased lots of fruits, veggies, nuts (specifically almonds), fish, pork, ground lean turkey, and one day red meat (I opted for a veggie burger). We''re making our own green tea with berries for a substitution for soda (my bad habit of healthy eating). The only processed thing we purchased was PB.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy - I ate an entirely "whole foods" diet for 6 weeks. Nothing processed at all. I followed the guidelines in a book called "the Healing Power of Whole Foods," and it lists all the minut ingredients that are bad for our bodies.

The diet was VERY hard. I constantly craved junk. The idea behind the book is that if you can stop eating all processed foods for three days the cravings would stop, but that didn''t happen with me even though I took out all the minut stuff the author said to remove!
7.gif

Now I''m better about my eating, however gave myself a break and still eat sugar here and there.

pinki

Shiny_Rock
I my ex was a bio chemist so he never allowed me to eat processed foods...He would explain to me how your body couldn''t process the hydrogenated oils (PHSO''s) and high fructose corn syrups so I always stay away from them. It''s interesting because I had to cut out so much food I liked and couldn''t believe what had those in it...(Nutella?? Why would nutella have PHSO''s?) Well, as the years went by I''d always check up on my favs to see if they made changes and alas! They have! Nutella now has no trans fats! Woo hoo! I have noticed many manufacturers switching away from icky ingredients to get back business they lost by choosy buyers like me.

Be careful to always read the ingredients lists because manufacturers can get away with having PHSO''s in them if its below a certain percent per serving, and on the front they''ll plaster "No Trans Fats" as a marketing ploy and there really are trans fats in them...
29.gif
Sneaky marketing people...I should be ashamed of myself and my people. hehehe...

Cj

princesss

Ideal_Rock
BF and I have been trying to do this. We''re kind of on a modified version of it - we''ve still got our PB and some Lean Pockets, but for the most part we are a non-HFCS, non-partially hydrogenated soybean oil, non-cr*p household. We eat a lot of salads and whole grains. Sometimes I give into my craving for white bread, but it''s rare.

Now if I could just conquer my freaking sweets addiction, I''d be in a really great place food-wise!

PrincessPeach

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 3:44:59 PM
Author: princesss
BF and I have been trying to do this. We''re kind of on a modified version of it - we''ve still got our PB and some Lean Pockets, but for the most part we are a non-HFCS, non-partially hydrogenated soybean oil, non-cr*p household. We eat a lot of salads and whole grains. Sometimes I give into my craving for white bread, but it''s rare.

Now if I could just conquer my freaking sweets addiction, I''d be in a really great place food-wise!

I''ve also been trying to do this...but I have such a sweet tooth, it''s terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I'm with Haven. I wouldn't say we necessarily eat "clean" according to some definitions, but, other than cereal for breakfast (Rice Krispies or Raisin Bran) we almost never eat processed food (I suppose DH does a little more than me). It really comes down to cooking your own food and being comfortable making a variety of things. I think it's pretty impossible to eat cleanly if you don't feel comfortable cooking.

Shopping the outside of the grocery store is absolutely something to live by. I make maybe 2 diversions into the middle aisles for things like canned tomatoes, spices, rice, etc and even that stuff is more minimally processed than your average processed food. Otherwise, our entire cart is stocked with veggies, meats, milk, etc. I find that by not eating processed foods, they become extremely unappetizing. We do have boxed mac & cheese at times, but that's really the only packaged product that I want to eat. I don't even like bread at this point unless it's homemade. You palette learns a whole new way of tasting without all of the extra salt and HFCS.

I find I'm much more satisfied with my food when I've cooked it. I can get something processed for lunch and heat it up in the microwave for a minute, but I'm not satisified afterwards. Or, I can take some time to make quesadilla filling, grate some cheese, cook up my quesadilla, and I feel much more full afterwards for some reason. There's something satisfying in the prep that buying processed foods doesn't provide.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results