shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

clueless2010

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I visited some mall jewelery stores yesterday and looked at some rings. While viewing several SI2''s, I was able to immediately spot imperfections with my naked eye at quite a fair distance(with no magnification). The SI1''s inclusions were less noticeable at first, but once I saw them magnified, I was able to spot them easily in plain sight without magnification. I don''t believe any of these stones were GIA/AGS graded.

Now for my question:

How far in the clarity range(GIA/AGS) would I need to go in order to not see any inclusions? I wouldn''t mind being able to see them when magnified, but would like absolutely no trace of inclusions to be seen when viewed from a naked eye(no matter now close I look).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2010 11:59:29 AM
Author:clueless2010
Hello all,

I visited some mall jewelery stores yesterday and looked at some rings. While viewing several SI2's, I was able to immediately spot imperfections with my naked eye at quite a fair distance(with no magnification). The SI1's inclusions were less noticeable at first, but once I saw them magnified, I was able to spot them easily in plain sight without magnification. I don't believe any of these stones were GIA/AGS graded.

Now for my question:

How far in the clarity range(GIA/AGS) would I need to go in order to not see any inclusions? I wouldn't mind being able to see them when magnified, but would like absolutely no trace of inclusions to be seen when viewed from a naked eye(no matter now close I look).
Welcome Clueless!

I am sure you are NOT clueless as you are asking a very reasonable question! However there is no one safe answer to give you unfortunately as many factors can affect the "eyecleanliness" of the stone such as individual vision, location of the inclusion and its colour etc. I would say to begin with VS or above, maybe consider SI1 if reliably graded and you work with a vendor that assures you the stone is completely eyeclean.

But this issue is so subjective, maybe the best thing I can do is link you to these two articles, the first is by Pricescope's Coatimundi and the second by regularly contributing expert John Pollard of Crafted By Infinity Diamonds.

What is an Eyeclean Diamond

[/url]

Also when you are viewing diamonds, if you loupe or view them under a microscope first you will be able to spot the inclusions afterwards more easily as your eye then automatically knows where to go! So inspect in various lighting conditions for ' eyecleanliness' purposes first then loupe.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Almost always a GIA or AGS VS2 is eye clean.
Sometimes a GIA or AGS SI1 is.
Occasionally a GIA or AGS SI2 is.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2010 11:59:29 AM
Author:clueless2010
Hello all,

I visited some mall jewelery stores yesterday and looked at some rings. While viewing several SI2''s, I was able to immediately spot imperfections with my naked eye at quite a fair distance(with no magnification). The SI1''s inclusions were less noticeable at first, but once I saw them magnified, I was able to spot them easily in plain sight without magnification. I don''t believe any of these stones were GIA/AGS graded.

Now for my question:

How far in the clarity range(GIA/AGS) would I need to go in order to not see any inclusions? I wouldn''t mind being able to see them when magnified, but would like absolutely no trace of inclusions to be seen when viewed from a naked eye(no matter now close I look).
there''s your answer,b/c most of these mall stones are graded by "Micky Mouse" labs
14.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2010 8:56:33 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

I don''t believe any of these stones were GIA/AGS graded.
there''s your answer,b/c most of these mall stones are graded by ''Micky Mouse'' labs
14.gif
2nd.

My earrings are SI1 and I cannot see any inclusions when looking at them close up. They''re AGS.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I typically purchase VS1 and up for the mind clean factor. I will be honest .. I can''t usually find inclusions in a VS1 even under magnification. Except for feathers which I really hate and can typically see even with the naked eye. I don''t think I answered your question but you got good answers above.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I consider VS2 and above graded by GIA/AGS to be "safe". But there are lots of SIs that are clean if you look.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results