shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity - Internal Graining

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everybody,

with all these Clarity Threads I will hop onto the bandwagon. I'm still trying to understand MMD and especially what inclusions to avoid etc. This VS2 looks pretty clean. Just from the side it has all these specs that look like dust. I'm wondering if this would decrease performance (as in crispness of sparkle) of the diamond?
And I'm not sure but is this (see picture) the internal graining that people warn of in CVD MMDs?

Okay the quality of the picture gets terrible when I post it! But maybe somebody can see it by tur ing the diamond on the website.

20191030_102223.jpg

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My understanding is that is 'stria' - the layering effect created when CVD diamond growth is perhaps not controlled as tightly as it could/should be.

There was a thread on it somewhere on the forum - have a search for 'stria' and hopefully some wise input by John Pollard and Karl, amongst others, will pop up! :) There was comment that it can reduce light performance, and I think the HPD site has a page showing it amongst the other potential issues that may be seen in MMDs?

IIRC HPHT stones don't suffer with this effect, although I believe that Lightbox is CVD but doesn't have Stria issues, so the manufacturing processes would seem to have a direct effect on the outcome! (which would make sense... lol)

There are also CVD stones that are HPHT treated, to lift the colour - I'm not sure about Stria in those.

As always with diamonds, more to things than we might think! :D

EDIT: These threads are really useful :))

Last edited:

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I have poured over those threads already. The diamond I posted above seems of bad quality rough.

I wish the trade members or anybody would give us a direction on where to buy high quality lab diamonds (lab diamonds out of high quality rough without stria etc.). Until then it really is a guessing game!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have poured over those threads already. The diamond I posted above seems of bad quality rough.

I wish the trade members or anybody would give us a direction on where to buy high quality lab diamonds (lab diamonds out of high quality rough without stria etc.). Until then it really is a guessing game!
I feel your pain :( lol

There seems to be mostly these sort of stones out there and very few HPHT stones, but there also seems to be satisfied purchasers of these stones so perhaps each stone needs inspection individually to ascertain if it is negatively impacted?

Is Stria the new Strong/Very Strong Blue Fluor? :lol: lol

I'm not sure the Trade members can give any recommendations due to the non-promotion clauses within their membership T&Cs :(

Perhaps we consumers need to do more digging and ask more question of producers / suppliers, to confirm whether they are offering CVD or HPHT (or CVD+HPHT)?!

Personally I reeeeeeally hope that the producer making the ultra-minimised-nitrogen stones puts them onto the wider market - I want a 'better than D' stone, dammit :D lol

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
There are a decent amount of CVD type IIa diamonds, I’ve come across quite a few. Someone just posted one from BE.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results