shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity enhanced? your take, would you buy an OEC/OMC CE?

Phanie

Shiny_Rock
Came across a stone.
But it is clarity enhanced, feather filled.
Your thoughts.
Thanks

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Clarity enhanced? your take, would you buy an OEC/OMC CE

Nope.
No way.

Enhancements may not be stable when subjected to heat during setting.
Worse resale value, if you could ever even find a buyer.

metatrix

Shiny_Rock

Filled, no. I would consider laser drilled, though.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium

No, not unless it was free. Kenny explained the reasons why very well.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No way Jose!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wouldn't for an engagement ring, or any other piece either a) to be worn daily or b) given to another person. BUT with that said, if the price is reasonable for it, you are fully aware of the care needed for the treatment, I would certainly consider it.

justginger

Ideal_Rock

I would consider it on a case by case basis, and ensure the treated stone had been inspected by a professional (like Dave or Neil). If I loved the stone, the price was fair, and the treatment stable - I would certainly consider it. I understand why others would not though - different levels of 'mind clean.'

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

No I would not buy a CE diamond. One of the main things I like about diamonds is that they are untreated and natural. I would rather buy a stimulant and save my $$. From a "mind clean" perspective,CE is equivalent to a stimulant for me.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

No, I would not. I would rather buy a smaller non-CE diamond or do what Dreamer suggested, save the money and buy a sim.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

No, for all the reasons already stated.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Absolutely not!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

Depends on the stone and the usage for it.
How long ago was it filled and have there been any issues since then?

Also some vendors offer guarantees against the stone aka if something happens they will repair it or replace it.
I would consider it if there was some sense of comfort there.

Lastly, if you're considering CE most likely it's because you want something that you can't get conceivable without a CE stone. aka a bigger stone or a whiter stone than your budget would otherwise support. If that is a priority to you, then being realistic about what is attainable with your budget is important as well.

proto

Shiny_Rock

I would be okay with laser drilling/acid boiling because these are permanent.

Some ladies would be horrified that their diamond is in any way "non-natural".

filling of fractures/feathers etc never last. these lifetime guarantees are not worht much because even if they fix it, it still means the diamond stopped looking like a diamond in the interim, and looking like a frozen ball of spit. Google gracture filled diamonds to see what happens when the filling material starts to degrade. Looks quite nasty - this is why i would never pirchase a filled CE diamond.

hope that helps.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd buy an OEC sim waaaay before paying for a CE diamond, especially with it being a filled feather (crack).

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock

Agreed I would never buy a CE stone.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nope.

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock

Nope. Not just for the appearance and resale issues, but the whole idea of it conflicts with my appreciation of diamonds. There's something incredibly intriguing and wonderful about the color and clarity being natural, brought about by millions of years and then cut to whatever ultimate weight it is for the best performance. Messing with the natural stuff doesn't interest me.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock

I was going to say never, but I don't say never anymore...

depends, on the price, vendor and how much I love the stone.

I wouldn't want one as my e ring, BUT perhaps as a RHR if it came with a guarantee from a reputable PS vendor (for a price I couldn't refuse).

Phanie

Shiny_Rock

Treatment from a trusted vendor here, thta guaranties the CE.
Feather filled.
My problem it will be used every day as a present for myself for Bday.
Price is right.
The ring is pre loved form a trusted person (here too) and I want to reset eventually in a halo.
I can afford the stone (size and color and clarity before CE), just that it is difficult to come across older cuts.
Argh.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock

Hi- A few (2-3?) years ago I purchased a fairly large old cut from Old World Diamonds that was clarity enhanced. The idea of such a large stone for such a relatively low price enticed me to try it out. When I received the stone, right off I could tell where it was clarity enhanced (filled feather). It looked like a smudge on the table. And in the sun it looked just awful- the filling matter was so obvious (to me) because it looked like a drop of oil was stuck in the diamond and the clarity enhanced area didn't sparkle. I returned it for a refund.

There's also the fact that the enhancement may not be permanent and what a pain (and added cost) it'd be to remove it from a mount to re-fill and have to have it reset again. I'd stay away from clarity enhanced stones.

Adam with OWD was great to work with. I'd have them source something in your price range that isn't CE.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I cannot and will not advise whether you should or should not get a CE diamond since I have no personal experience with CE. But I am all about a deal so I can understand the temptation to consider one.

I didn't know much about CE so did a little reading and am linking a thread for you in case you didn't see it because it shows a long term, regular wear potential concern for CE diamonds, with pictures. If I knew for sure this would happen to something I spent more than "costume" cost for, I would probably pass on it.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-what-happened-to-my-clarity-enhanced-diamond.168193/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-what-happened-to-my-clarity-enhanced-diamond.168193/[/URL]

Good luck with whichever route you decide to take.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock

I would be tempted to buy a clarity enhanced diamond only if my other alternative was a simulant such as a cz, moissanite or other manmade stone. You get what you pay for.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results