shape
carat
color
clarity

clarity and gifted diamonds

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know the clairty of my diamond as I bought it myself.

For people who are given their engagement ring, is that brought up? I've heard some posters say they don't like the idea of a sI clarity for an engagement diamond. Is that because its implied the owner will care about clarity? I'm just genuinely curious. Particularly from men or women who have purchased diamonds for other people. Do the recients ask the clarity? How does it come up? Do they care as long as its eye clean?

I'm sure carat weight comes up, and color more or less you can see, bit clarity seems like a different animal.

Myself I've gifted one diamond to my mother. She doesn't have the best eyesight so I really don't know what she thinks the clarity is. She has never asked any questions about it or any other Cs. She just likes it lol

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
If I was buying an e-ring for someone, especially someone young, I'd be concerned that they could see inclusions in SI stones that I and many others can't. That's the reason I'd consider going higher in clarity.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother keeps buying and gifting me cloudy diamond jewellery. I gift her coloured stone jewellery but make sure the diamond accents are all eye clean from all angles (and I have eagle eyes).

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've gifted diamond jewelry to family members and not one asked about clarity. Not about color either, just ctw. Some people have eagle eyes and may notice the inclusion making the gift somewhat "blemished." But as most ERs aren't regularly cleaned, I highly doubt inclusions can be seen most of the time. My vision is not the greatest so I went with SI2 for the stone set in a ring. I can see the inclusions only at 40X.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1415382310|3779275 said:
My mother keeps buying and gifting me cloudy diamond jewellery. I gift her coloured stone jewellery but make sure the diamond accents are all eye clean from all angles (and I have eagle eyes).
Well I was trying to imply the diamond would be eye clean.

I assumed people wouldn't gift cloudy diamonds. I should have considered that.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since people vary I'm sure some recipients ask what the clarity is, and some don't.

But yes, unless you are buying a diamond for yourself I'd either discuss ALL the specs with the recipient, or keep the specs in the more-safe range and IMO that would be near G VS2 ... likely to be colorless and eye-clean to most but affordable enough to get a larger stone for the budget.

But ...

Then some recipients would rather have an eye-clean SI1, SI2, or even I1 to get a larger stone, or better color, or better cut.

Any diamond given as a surprise carries risk the recipient would have preferred a different compromise of specs, or even a different shape.

But ...

I'm sure some romantic old-fashioned recipients would rather be completely surprised, and anything he picked out is the perfect diamond no matter the specs.

But ...

Some gals want to be completely surprised yet must expect him to be psychic because they think, " If he really loved me he'd JUST KNOW what I liked. :angryfire:

You just can't win, so there isn't one sure-fire guaranteed path to a recipient liking their diamond. :knockout:
So, it's probably best to just stay single and not have moms. :lol:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If my husband were to buy me another diamond piece all I would care about is eye clean, not specificity clarity.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1415394608|3779416 said:
If my husband were to buy me another diamond piece all I would care about is eye clean, not specificity clarity.
April...at our age every stone will look eye clean... :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results