shape
carat
color
clarity

Citrine or Yellow Beryl?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello. I think this is my first post in this forum. I'm not very familiar with coloured stones at all.

I've contacted DanielM on etsy about having earrings made for my sister. She likes bright oranges and yellows. The three types of stones that Caren came back with are: Citrine, Honey Topaz, and Yellow Beryl. The price is close enough for all of them that it's not a deciding factor. I don't really like the honey topaz from the link that they've sent, it looks pretty pale though I'm sure that colours vary.

Can someone help me with the decision between the citrine and yellow beryl? Examples of each below:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/89984731/citrine-milgrain-bezel-earrings
http://www.etsy.com/listing/48156602/yellow-beryl-bezel-ring

I'm looking for something that is bright and really pops!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
This isn't one of the options you listed, but I'd definitely ask about yellow zircon. They can be intense yellow and have high dispersion.

Of the two you asked about, I'd go with Citrine. Yellow-beryl, to me, can be a bit zombie-flesh sometimes. Citrine comes in a nice lemon to a firey orange and is quite abundant.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm a big fan of citrines. They are very popular for earrings and I have a pair of bezeled citrine earrings that I love. Mine are gold colored citrines and I feel for that reason I can wear them with all most any color.

For orange colors I think citrines are the best choice (citrine is a not that common in yellow, except in yellow quartz and that usually has lime under stones), but if you want yellow you might want also to consider yellow chrysoberyl or Grossular Garnet or yellow sapphire (this will be a more expensive option). Like Davi I don't like yellow beryl either.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Addy|1326095299|3098367 said:
Hello. I think this is my first post in this forum. I'm not very familiar with coloured stones at all.

I've contacted DanielM on etsy about having earrings made for my sister. She likes bright oranges and yellows. The three types of stones that Caren came back with are: Citrine, Honey Topaz, and Yellow Beryl. The price is close enough for all of them that it's not a deciding factor. I don't really like the honey topaz from the link that they've sent, it looks pretty pale though I'm sure that colours vary.

Can someone help me with the decision between the citrine and yellow beryl? Examples of each below:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/89984731/citrine-milgrain-bezel-earrings
http://www.etsy.com/listing/48156602/yellow-beryl-bezel-ring

I'm looking for something that is bright and really pops!

I've never seen a citrine or yellow beryl that really pops. I suppose some irradiated yellow beryl might pop, but I find that most of these stones, including citrine, have a brownish modifier. My favorite yellow gemstone is neon yellow chrysoberyl, but it is much rarer than those two types of gems, and it might be hard to find a pair. It also has a greenish secondary color which I favor over brown, but you may not. Since I prefer golden yellow stones in yellow gold, I rather get them set that way, if that's the route you're going to go. I find white metal doesn't really do much for citrine or yellow beryl.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your sister didn't mind treated stones, she could also get Be treated sapphires that are gorgeous yellows and oranges. If you wanted to see what they look like with good photography, All That Glitters carries them - along with gorgeous completely unheated stones: http://www.atggems.com/Photo_Gallery.htm

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For earrings? I would likely go with a yellow zircon. Very pretty, bright in inexpensive. You can find some honey colors (ok most of them tend to be honey colored) but there's also some lighter colored yellows as well.

Citrines are also quite inexpensive, but do not have the sparkle you'd expect unless the pieces were very well cut.

You could try chrystoberyl but I've seen the prices skyrocketing all over the place. It didn't used to be terribly expensive, and there's still a few places where you can get some relatively cheap.

I would say sphene because the sparkle is super sick, but its a very soft stone (Daniel would NOT want to work with it, trust me!)

-A

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, all! I'm going to ask about a couple of the stones listed here, especially yellow zircon.

My sister likes prongs so I'm aiming for 7 mm stones set in 8 to 10 prong silver settings. Inexpensive for jewellery, but expensive for a sister gift. I hope she enjoys them.

I am on a budget so I'm not going to check out the chrystoberyl at the moment.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I'm in contact with Sally at Heart Of Water Jewels on Etsy for almost the same thing. While you want a very saturated popping yellow, I've asked for a breath of yellow/orange zircon. She's going on a buying trip soon, and will be looking at zircons for me. You could pop on over to her store http://www.etsy.com/shop/HeartofWaterJewels and ask her to look for you, if you like.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since these are for earrings and will be prong set, I'd go for yellow zircon too. Nice colour with good dispersion, unlike citrines and yellow beryl which can look muddy (plus citrine has low RI).

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a quick update. Because they were large and looked pretty in the photos - I went back to one of Caren's original suggestions of lemon quartz. At 8mm they seemed suitably large for my sister's personality and pixie cut bleach blonde hair. After a bit of thought, and help from you guys, yellow seemed easier to wear than orange that close to the face.

My sister loves them! Her response when she opened them while I was on the phone with her was prefect.

A's sister's lemon quartz 8mm earrings.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look great!! Such a cheery, sunny yellow. Well done!! :appl:

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Looks like you already had them made. They look great :)

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
innerkitten|1330752938|3139784 said:
Looks like you already had them made. They look great :)

Yes, I made a decision in mid-Jan and they were completed within 1-2 days. They had both the stones and setting in stock. My sister received them in early-Feb. Late for her hair school graduation and early for her birthday - nearly perfectly inbetween. I call that being right on time ;-)

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Lovely earrings, and I think those are my favorite Daniel M settings. Glad to hear your sister loved them!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
They turned out beautifully and so pleased she was happy with her gift! Great choice!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys! I've learned that there's a lot that I don't know. But sister has really taken to them and loves the colour. Next time I won't give myself such a time limit so that I can really jump in. It was almost a disappointment to make a decision so quickly (although I'm not sure it felt quickly to Caren!). I didn't have time to follow up on all the recommendations made here. It didn't fall on deaf ears and I'm sure I'll be back!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results