shape
carat
color
clarity

cindy mccain''s earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Vanity Fair wrote an article on how much money the candidates'' wives clothes cost on Monday night. They estimated that Cindy McCain was wearing diamond studs that were 3 carat (they didn''t say that whether this was each, or ctw) and that the earrings, if real, cost $300,000. I looked on Blue Nile and I don''t see how this price can be right. It seems wildly inflated. If the earrings are real. Which you can''t assume that they were just on the basis that she''s rich. Remember Jackie Kennedy''s fake pearls? And the Queen of England, I think it was Queen Alexandra, who broke a pearl necklace and admitted that the pearls were fake?

What''s bothering me, though, is the hostility in the blogosphere about these earrings, with people saying all kinds of mean things about the woman and her jewelry. What if the woman WAS wearing really expensive diamond studs? I can''t afford them myself, but why the jealousy and rage? Whatever you think of her husband''s politics, why shouldn''t Cindy wear jewelry that she can well afford, if she wants to. She does a lot for other people--the list of her charities is amazing. Not even including the adopted daughter. Her parents were poor and borrowed money and went into a business that succeeded. Isn''t that the American dream? Unless we turn to communism, you can''t put a cap on how much people are allowed to make through their businesses, nor tell them how to spend it. Is that what people want?

I feel sorry to see people being so jealous. I wonder what the rest of you think especially since this a board where people do have wonderful jewelry, and from what I see, as the result of saving and planning after many years (though some may have inherited money, which is fine with me)

Please don''t turn this into a discussion of her husband''s politics or into a critique of the Republican party in general.

Black Jade

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw that too. I didn''t read any associated article though. I think sometimes people just like to poke fun at the fact that potential presidential families try to "relate" to us, but their earrings supposedly cost more than our houses.
1.gif
Actually, people will find any way to criticize those that are in the public spot light. If she wore cheap earrings, they''d probably call her out on that too.

It''s just like MTV Cribs, or the Fabulous Life Of... people love to see how the extravagant lives of others.

Did the article criticize her for it? Or were there just comments from readers about her that were critical?

If she can rock 300,000 dollar earrings, good for her. I could care less!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately on most sites where celebs/politicians would get their bling, they don't post prices so this is an estimate on my behalf.

It's possible. For 3ct diamonds, ideal cut and D you're looking at probably in the $100k range (using blueline) so if they really were 3ct each then that could be $200K for just the diamonds and then paying a premium for a well named seller
33.gif
My guess though

Anyway, people are haters. They always will be. Also, without knowing these posters personally you can't really claim that it stems from jealousy or rage. Some people don't find it necessary to feel jealousy over big/expensive jewelry. When you're a celeb or politician its almost expected that anything you do will be exaggarated by the media and public. Comes with the lifestyle.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/5/2008 4:24:13 PM
Author: fieryred33143
Unfortunately on most sites where celebs/politicians would get their bling, they don''t post prices so this is an estimate on my behalf.

It''s possible. For 3ct diamonds, ideal cut and D you''re looking at probably in the $100k range (using blueline) so if they really were 3ct each then that could be $200K for just the diamonds and then paying a premium for a well named seller
33.gif
My guess though

Anyway, people are haters. They always will be. Also, without knowing these posters personally you can''t really claim that it stems from jealousy or rage. Some people don''t find it necessary to feel jealousy over big/expensive jewelry. When you''re a celeb or politician its almost expected that anything you do will be exaggarated by the media and public. Comes with the lifestyle.
Thanks for the replies.
I didn''t realize there was another thread, or I wouldn''t have started a new one.
It was people replying to the article. Vanity Fair had just written an article saying what the clothes cost. The same article that was copied into the other thread. The posters did sound extremely angry, though its true that I can''t tell whether or not it was out of jealousy. Maybe not jealousy over the diamonds specifically but that Mrs. McCain has lots and lots and lots of money.
I''m from an immigrant background and I like the fact that in America you can make lots of money. Opportunities were lacking where I came from. And people didn''t have diamonds. My mother was very proud of her engagement ring because it had a diamond, which my father had bougnht from a man who had gone to work in another country, who was wearing it in a stickpin or something when he came back. My father bought it off him, I don''t know for how much. I have no idea what kind of diamond it was (my mother lost it when it popped out of her ring) but it was a ''real diamond'' and that was very presitigious. Every one else just had ''birthstones'' in their engagement rings. Except my grandmother--who had a nice Edwardian engagement ring because she had lived for 5 or 6 years in the US at the beginning of the 20th century.

I think it''s inspiring when other people have things they worked for.. Especially when they seem to be nice people (Mrs. McCain has had her issues with addiction and so on, but she seems like someone who tries to ''give back.'')

Black Jade

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
I think that''s totally ridiculous that this article is trying to make Cindy McCain more elite than M. Obama. Seriously, I don''t think the Obamas can compare with the McCains in terms of $$$, do you? If Cindy made those dough, why can''t she spend it the way she wants to? Surely no one is expecting her to donate 90% of her money just so that she can be more like the rest of us.
20.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe what they meant was 300K retail, as in what Jewelry televsion or HSN says "retail price" with a long disclaimer in tiny type what they mean by that statement
3.gif

Don''t they know if you are going to mention it, pricescopers want the the real dope, the specs, where she purchased them, etc? That''s real reporting!

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/5/2008 5:52:04 PM
Author: lovegem
I think that''s totally ridiculous that this article is trying to make Cindy McCain more elite than M. Obama. Seriously, I don''t think the Obamas can compare with the McCains in terms of $$$, do you? If Cindy made those dough, why can''t she spend it the way she wants to? Surely no one is expecting her to donate 90% of her money just so that she can be more like the rest of us.
20.gif
DITTO!!!

I would think it very FAKE if she showed up in digs from Target, with her hair in a pony tail!

She has her OWN money AND she pays taxes just like the rest of us!

cara

Ideal_Rock
"My wife wears a respectable Republican cloth coat." Helped save Nixon's career.

Edwards $400 haircut certainly didn't help him in the political arena, and I think women in political families do have to be careful about being too fashion forward/Hollywood. Its all fine for them to wear designer clothes until one day it isn't and they get busted for wearing expensive/designer/elitist clothes in the media.

I was actually thinking with the Palin props children on stage recently, how many new appropriate outfits did they have to buy over the last week? I know they are governor's kids, but Alaska might not be very formal, so they might not have a lot of business clothes for the kids! I certainly didn't have a selection of businesswear dresses in my teen years (especially not maternity business dresses
27.gif
, oh that was my first Bristol snark, forgive me!) I wonder if they have been taken on a big shopping trip by the staffers these last few days to pretty them up for their parading.

Yes Mrs. McCain may certainly wear her expensive diamond earrings, her father worked hard I'm sure to grow the business way back when and she may spend the profits as they churn out. I was even admiring the sparklies on TV!, but it may not be what her husbands staff would prefer to have written about her in the press.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
I think its intersting that you actually rarely see large diamonds on politicians and or their wives.... I don''t think they want to give off elitist attitudes or have connections with the negative aspects of blood diamonds etc... Even with clothes, they often wear American designers etc... In the last election John Kerry was always spotting his Vineyard Vines American flag tie, etc... Even Laura Bush, who just got married has a very average sized e-ring... Certainly not something you''d expect from an aristocrat...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2008 9:30:33 PM
Author: sna77
I think its intersting that you actually rarely see large diamonds on politicians and or their wives.... I don''t think they want to give off elitist attitudes or have connections with the negative aspects of blood diamonds etc... Even with clothes, they often wear American designers etc... In the last election John Kerry was always spotting his Vineyard Vines American flag tie, etc... Even Laura Bush, who just got married has a very average sized e-ring... Certainly not something you''d expect from an aristocrat...
You mean Jenna Bush? I love her ering, and loved that they used a diamond from his family and added sapphire side stones. It''s a stunning ring.

The magazines always get the value wrong on jewelry. Plus they never get the cut of the stone right, inserting princess when it''s an asscher etc... Drives me nuts.

3 carats at the best ideal cut, D VVS1 could run 280K as was quoted, but that''s if they bought from a high end retailor. I think we need to enlighten them about our wonderful PS vendors.
31.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2008 9:44:52 PM
Author: Kaleigh
You mean Jenna Bush? I love her ering, and loved that they used a diamond from his family and added sapphire side stones. It''s a stunning ring.

The magazines always get the value wrong on jewelry. Plus they never get the cut of the stone right, inserting princess when it''s an asscher etc... Drives me nuts.

3 carats at the best ideal cut, D VVS1 could run 280K as was quoted, but that''s if they bought from a high end retailor. I think we need to enlighten them about our wonderful PS vendors.
31.gif
Hehe, you are so right Kaleigh! Maybe Mrs. McCain will post some pictures of her new rocks when we let her in on our little secret.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

whops, yeah Jenna... oh, i don''t like her ring at all.. must be the saphires on an e-ring... not my style...
link

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if i had her money i''ll wear a 5 ct D IF toe ring....on each toe!!!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
why do people insist on disecting these people and their personal lives...i want to know their politics and what they stand for ...their personal lives should not be the center of attention...what they are going to do for the american people should be. that being said.... she does have some killer jewelry.

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/5/2008 8:20:34 PM
Author: cara

Yes Mrs. McCain may certainly wear her expensive diamond earrings, her father worked hard I'm sure to grow the business way back when and she may spend the profits as they churn out. I was even admiring the sparklies on TV!, but it may not be what her husbands staff would prefer to have written about her in the press.

I would argue that McCain respects his woman (whatever her life style and career path is). Surely nowadays majority of us aren't expecting the wife to scarify everything just so that their man can get ahead. On the other hand, Michelle Obama has suspended her job in the university, hospital, as well as QUIT as a board member in Treehouse food (whose biggest client is Walmart). Talking about HYPOCRITE at its fullest.
5.gif

Edit: I like to see what Palin wears as her jewelry. She's a beautiful woman, although I disagree with some of her personal believes.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I kept looking at Palin''s earrings during her speech, wondering, what are those??

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2008 1:04:44 AM
Author: jewelerman
why do people insist on disecting these people and their personal lives...i want to know their politics and what they stand for ...their personal lives should not be the center of attention...what they are going to do for the american people should be. that being said.... she does have some killer jewelry.
There have been no less then 3 stories on the t.v. since i posted this comment!those earring are impressive..i hope she wears them often...who knew that a pair of ear studs could be so news worthy...i bet the sale of diamond studs climb.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2008 1:13:43 AM
Author: lovegem

I would argue that McCain respects his woman (whatever her life style and career path is). Surely nowadays majority of us aren''t expecting the wife to scarify everything just so that their man can get ahead. On the other hand, Michelle Obama has suspended her job in the university, hospital, as well as QUIT as a board member in Treehouse food (whose biggest client is Walmart). Talking about HYPOCRITE at its fullest.
5.gif

Edit: I like to see what Palin wears as her jewelry. She''s a beautiful woman, although I disagree with some of her personal believes.
Well I think it is hypocritical of McCain to claim a high moral stance when he and Cindy got married after an affair while McCain''s loyal and no longer beautiful first wife Carol was at home waiting. Until he dumped her for Cindy of course, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/09/john-mccains-first-wife-s_n_106021.html. That takes a lot of respect for women
38.gif

Frankly, she could wear one of the Victoria''s Secret diamond bras and I wouldn''t care. However, if I was trying to decide on a canidate and was struggling to pay my bills, I would not feel terribly connected to the guy whose wife not only has money, but is flaunting that she does and I don''t.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I read some of the comments speculating about why people might have been jealous of Mrs. McCain's earrings I remembered something I had been taught in college. It occurred to me that the same principle might be operating here.

In the 1960's in Harlem there were a couple of black political leaders who were widely loved. One lived modestly and showed his constituents that he was one of them, someone who would fight for them as an equal. He won their support by being a man of the people. I do not recall who this was.

I recall that the other man who was widely loved was another legislator who lived entirely differently, however. His name was Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. He drove a fancy race car and enjoyed all the trappings that wealth and power could bring. He was admired more in the way that some of today's rap stars are, as someone that the the community would like to be able to emulate. Far from being resented for his fancy car, the community enjoyed it, living vicariously through him. As he showed that he had made it, others felt that they had made it.

My point? That it may not be as simple, psychologically, as that people are "mean" about Mrs. McCain's earrings. Mrs. McCain may just represent something to them that does not call for diamond earrings! Perhaps they need to identify with a candidate's wife in a different way. We all know that if those same earrings were on a Hollywood star that no one would be judging them! People would only be admiring them. I suspect that people want to be able to think that a candidate for president and his wife are not above them.

In other words, people cannot see her as the black people of Harlem once saw Adam Clayton Powell, as one of them who has made it. On the other hand, she is not a queen or a Hollywood star who has been sent to entertain them with her pageantry. Therefore, she is simply a rival.

I am not claiming that this is rational, however :).

Deborah
34.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
What I noticed about Cindy''s earrings, or didn''t rather, was the sparkle. Did I just miss those moments, or did they really not do a lot? I''m not asking out of jealousy, I would never wear anything remotely that big, I''m really just looking at them from a cut perspective.
41.gif
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is so funny how people cannot restrain themselves from getting into the political rather than just the jewelry!
2.gif

I think Cindy McCain should wear whatever she wants as long as she can afford it. There is no purpose in her pretending to be something she is not. Her clothes and jewelry are elegant and beautiful. What I do notice is when someone with money wears significant pieces, yet they are not too over-the-top blingy with pave all over the place. When I see too much, I think that person is just trying to show off. I don''t see that with any of the top political women. They are all good examples of tasteful dress as far as I am concerned.

I think Sarah Palin comes from a more middle class background, so it is unlikely that her jewelry is anything like Mrs. McCains! Hers is probably more like mine than Mrs. McCain''s!
2.gif
That said, I thought her clothes were absolutely gorgeous the last two nights of that convention! I admire that she dressed in a feminine way rather than trying to wear a masculine power suit. If I had anywhere to go, I''d love to have those two outfits!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Since I''m a PSer, I''m always an admirer of jewelry. I think that if people are wealthy and can afford something extravagant, good for them. I thought her jewelry was beautiful!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2008 12:23:39 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 9/5/2008 9:53:49 PM

I think its intersting that you actually rarely see large diamonds on politicians and or their wives.... I don't think they want to give off elitist attitudes or have connections with the negative aspects of blood diamonds etc... Even with clothes, they often wear American designers etc... In the last election John Kerry was always spotting his Vineyard Vines American flag tie, etc... Even Laura Bush, who just got married has a very average sized e-ring... Certainly not something you'd expect from an aristocrat...
You mean Jenna Bush? I love her ering, and loved that they used a diamond from his family and added sapphire side stones. It's a stunning ring.
whops, yeah Jenna... oh, i don't like her ring at all.. must be the saphires on an e-ring... not my style...
link
I'm kinda partial to her ring since it looks almost exactly like mine.........
I love her ring too! Sapphires and Sapphire side stones are gorgeous
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2008 12:21:43 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
BlackJade, I thought her outfit was STUNNING. I loved the color, the jewelry and the everything inbetween. I personally don''t care how much she paid for it, she certainly has enough money to pay for it. :) It was beautifully elegant. When I caught a glimpse of her earrings, I told hubby oh my stars, they''re GORGEOUS, I wonder how many PS''ers caught them too? LOL I was just waiting to see if there was more info about them. lol
2.gif
It''s wierd, I just didn''t like Cindy''s outfit. It was beautiful material though. I thought it looked like it didn''t fit her well especially when she kept raising her hands to wave. the whole top seemed to move up with her. I didn''t even notice her earrings. Wierd.

I noticed Palin''s though. I loved her suit, her hair, her glasses, her makeup. I just didn''t want to get sucked in by her beauty, so I just tried to focus on what she was saying and not saying. (Even though I was wondering what brand of makeup she used)
38.gif

Dang, should I feel bad for noticing such things?
3.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
SDL, you know I love a little color in an e-ring. Your ring (and Jenna''s) is stunning!

It also doesn''t bother me what politicians/their SOs wear. I *DO* think it is funny how the article wrote it though.
20.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto on the sapphire and diamond rings!!! Classic and gorgeous!!!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
been away for a bit (being drenched by the rain here on the east coast. Was interested to come back and see the new replies.

Write me down as one who likes Jenna Bush''s e-ring. I wouldn''t wear it myself, as I seem to always pick plain solitaires for my rings, but I thought it was classy and loved how they used a family stone.

I also think that Sarah Palin is a beautiful woman, politics have nothing to do with it, I was not surprised that she is an ex-beauty queen with those classic looks. I was interested to see how she seems to be attempting to de-emphasize this. Those glasses and the hairstyle. She reminded me of the old movies when Joan Fontaine or some other beautiful actress was playing a ''plain Jane'' and did the glasses and pulled back hair--but you could still see the beauty and expected a ''transformation'' before the final scene. I agree that she is dressed in a way that shows she isn''t ashamed to be feminine though, and I like the confidence of that.

Was also interested in the post mentioning Adam Clayton Powell. I remember him very well--that must tell something about my age! I wonder if there is something in the idea that it is a cultural thing, why politicians and their wives in the US do this we''re-just-folks thing (or get punished for not doing it in the press) when actually everyone KNOWS that you have to be wealthy to run for office. These people are all rich, Democrats and Republicans both are rich. I think Bill Clinton is the only person currently in the spotlight who was ever actually poor. Obama goes on and on about his single mother, but you don''t have to look far for the information that his grandparents (who actually brought him up) were very successful, and he is a private school, Princeton, Harvard product--not what you could call poor.

But other cultures don''t require poor or pretend-poor politicians, etc. I remember seeing something on the Royal Jewels thread on this forum, where the Duchess of Cornwall (Camilla Parker Bowles) went to Africa and people were remarking on how well dresed she was, and wearing ropes of diamonds, and saying that this was a thoughtless thing to do in a poor country. And I was thinking, they don''t know anything about that culture, to think that. Those people would feel disrespected if royalty showed up in blue jeans and ragged t-shirts. Those people are poor--and they dress up for special occasions as best they can and they actually feel disrespected if you don''t also dress well for them. It''s a matter of respect. They don''t like to see ragged people in blue jeans--they want to see you ''look the part'' and put on your nice stuff for them. Cindy McCain could wear all the bling she wanted in that kind of culture. And I must say, I would hate to see her have to change because they did some polling here, or because of these newspaper articles. She didn''t do anything wrong to get her money, and she is very charitable and thoughtful of others and I LIKE the huge diamond earrings, I say she should keep wearing what she has and not apologize to anyone. Just like you all here who have the big rings I (and others) can''t afford that you EARNED should keep on enjoying showing them off.

Black Jade

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/6/2008 5:09:58 PM
Author: Black Jade
been away for a bit (being drenched by the rain here on the east coast. Was interested to come back and see the new replies.

Write me down as one who likes Jenna Bush''s e-ring. I wouldn''t wear it myself, as I seem to always pick plain solitaires for my rings, but I thought it was classy and loved how they used a family stone.

I also think that Sarah Palin is a beautiful woman, politics have nothing to do with it, I was not surprised that she is an ex-beauty queen with those classic looks. I was interested to see how she seems to be attempting to de-emphasize this. Those glasses and the hairstyle. She reminded me of the old movies when Joan Fontaine or some other beautiful actress was playing a ''plain Jane'' and did the glasses and pulled back hair--but you could still see the beauty and expected a ''transformation'' before the final scene. I agree that she is dressed in a way that shows she isn''t ashamed to be feminine though, and I like the confidence of that.

Was also interested in the post mentioning Adam Clayton Powell. I remember him very well--that must tell something about my age! I wonder if there is something in the idea that it is a cultural thing, why politicians and their wives in the US do this we''re-just-folks thing (or get punished for not doing it in the press) when actually everyone KNOWS that you have to be wealthy to run for office. These people are all rich, Democrats and Republicans both are rich. I think Bill Clinton is the only person currently in the spotlight who was ever actually poor. Obama goes on and on about his single mother, but you don''t have to look far for the information that his grandparents (who actually brought him up) were very successful, and he is a private school, Princeton, Harvard product--not what you could call poor.

But other cultures don''t require poor or pretend-poor politicians, etc. I remember seeing something on the Royal Jewels thread on this forum, where the Duchess of Cornwall (Camilla Parker Bowles) went to Africa and people were remarking on how well dresed she was, and wearing ropes of diamonds, and saying that this was a thoughtless thing to do in a poor country. And I was thinking, they don''t know anything about that culture, to think that. Those people would feel disrespected if royalty showed up in blue jeans and ragged t-shirts. Those people are poor--and they dress up for special occasions as best they can and they actually feel disrespected if you don''t also dress well for them. It''s a matter of respect. They don''t like to see ragged people in blue jeans--they want to see you ''look the part'' and put on your nice stuff for them. Cindy McCain could wear all the bling she wanted in that kind of culture. And I must say, I would hate to see her have to change because they did some polling here, or because of these newspaper articles. She didn''t do anything wrong to get her money, and she is very charitable and thoughtful of others and I LIKE the huge diamond earrings, I say she should keep wearing what she has and not apologize to anyone. Just like you all here who have the big rings I (and others) can''t afford that you EARNED should keep on enjoying showing them off.

Black Jade
I agree that this is generally true. However, I have no indication to think the Palin''s are rich. I think her dad was a teacher and her mother a school secretary. Her husband is a blue collar oil worker and fisherman. And I am sure her pay was minimal for being mayor.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2008 5:09:58 PM
Author: Black Jade

Black Jade

He did go to these schools, but he also took out student loans to pay for them. He & Michelle only finished paying off their school loans in the last few years with the royalties from the books he wrote. Obama was not poor, no, but he certainly did not grow up exceedingly wealthy either.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results