shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing 2 carat diamond -- story + advice needed

Iceman_India

Rough_Rock
I have been using these forums, mostly as a read-only user for a few weeks, and have found them extremely useful. Appreciate all the pros and semi-pros who take time out to help noobs like me!

This is a long post, because I am also hoping to clarify my own thoughts as I write this down, and look for advice. I also want to share the good and the bad of the process, for anyone else going through the same thing.

The TL;DR version for those looking to help is that I am trying to choose between the 2 diamonds linked at the bottom of the post.

The long version:

I am in the market for an eye clean, 2 carat or better, colorless-to-the-eye diamond with the best possible cut, with a budget of about 20-22k or so.

Because I have read these forums, and about 'super ideal' diamonds, I was keen to work with vendors such as Whiteflash or HPD (or BGD). In addition, I did some digging to find decent stones on James Allen as well (though their customer service ensured that some of the ones I picked were sold before I could put them 'on hold' which was annoying).

To take the guesswork out of online purchases, I decided I need to compare these diamonds in real life. Being in NYC allows for that, to some degree, with the James Allen store and the HPD merchant not far from each other on 5th avenue.

And while WF does not have a similar setup here, I worked with Brittany to pick out the stone I liked the most, and ordered it ahead of time, with a view to compare it side by side at my visits to JA and HPD.

As an aide -- For anyone nervous about bank wire transfer to Whiteflash (as I was), don't be. The process was handled very professionally and seamlessly (though my bank did decline the transaction at first). Would also note, for others in the market, that working with Layla at HPD has been an incredibly smooth and efficient process, and I would recommend her very highly even before I have actually bought anything. She is responsive and active seemingly at all hours of day or night, and seems genuinely interested in helping the customer (me).

So finally today, I had both appointments. My experience at the 2 appointments was like night and day:

-- The James Allen store in NYC basically has only jewelry store like lighting. In addition, they do not allow you to take out any diamonds you bring with you. So the viewing was a bit of a waste, as all 3 diamonds I looked at sparkled a lot in the very bright light, and I could really not even tell the difference between them. This was despite one of them being a supposed 'hearts and arrows' diamond, and one having significant white areas in the Idealscope image. The H&A diamonds also seem overpriced vs WF and HPD.

In any case, this store experience, alongside the less than stellar customer service has ensured that I am not really considering the JA diamonds anymore.

-- On the other hand, the HPD retailer in NY (Diamonds One) has a very well set up office. They have regular lighting, but also a large window to look at the diamonds in truly natural light. In addition, the proprietor (Bill) comes across as a really helpful and honest person. We looked through the diamonds Layla had helped me select, and narrowed down to the one that seemed to be the best, considering all parameters including price.

I then compared it side-by-side with the Whiteflash diamond, and I honestly could not tell the difference.

The diamonds in question are:
WF: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4000701.htm
HPD: https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD9784

Even though they seem different enough, my eyes could not tell the color apart (face up), or the clarity. Both also shone very brightly in all types of light I looked through, such that it was very hard to tell them apart. They are also basically the same price.

My current thoughts are as follows:
-- The WF stone is bigger, and has 3 grades better clarity (though both are eye clean)
-- The HPD has a better color, and my experience with the people has been wonderful so far
-- The WF stone seems to have some fluorescence under UV light, but it's marked negligible on the report
-- The pavilion angle for most ACAs seems to be 40.8, but this one has 40.7 (and all HPDs apparently have 40.8). Does it make a difference at all? I would think not, but it did come up, so want to ensure I am not missing something.

Anything else I should be aware of/think about? Advice appreciated.

Wholovesskunks

Shiny_Rock
I’m not an expert but I’d be grabbing that Whiteflash one! It’s beautiful!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d take the Whiteflash one, I think it’s crisper and if at some stage you chose to upgrade, it’s not easy trying to negotiate an upgrade with an “S12” no matter how “eye clean” it looks.
Bigger is better, the colour grade difference very few people can see and faint fluorescence in an I colour is a help not a hinderence as it helps negate any “yellowness”.

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would choose the WF stone because it’s bigger.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My current thoughts are as follows:
-- The WF stone is bigger, and has 3 grades better clarity (though both are eye clean)
-- The HPD has a better color, and my experience with the people has been wonderful so far
-- The WF stone seems to have some fluorescence under UV light, but it's marked negligible on the report
-- The pavilion angle for most ACAs seems to be 40.8, but this one has 40.7 (and all HPDs apparently have 40.8). Does it make a difference at all? I would think not, but it did come up, so want to ensure I am not missing something.

Anything else I should be aware of/think about? Advice appreciated.

Carat weight isn't much difference, but the WF stone is about 0.20mm bigger which is big enough for most people to notice.

A little fluor isn't necessarily bad, especially in H and I colored stones -- and the fact they are so well cut. It can make a stone look a little whiter FYI. But honestly, being negligible it's a non-issue. For more info on how it's done well...

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/brian-gavins-blue-diamonds-with-fluorescence/

Love love love the clarity of the WF stone. Although eye clean, I just don't like the cert on the HPD stone but admittedly I like my stones to be as eye clean and "mind clean" as possible. At what distance is the HPD stone eye clean? A common definition is 10" from the top only. I like a more strict definition of 6" from the top & sides.

You mentioned the color on the HPD stone was better. Was it enough difference that you noticed and did it bother you? I think most people are sensitive to cut, size and then color. Normally clarity is a non-issue as long as it's eye clean.

Lastly, there should be no issues with a PA of 40.7 or 40.8. All values fall within line of a true hearts & arrow criteria. The table, CA and PA not only meet but are also optimum values on both stones. And oddly enough the lower girdle halves and star facets still meet H&A requirements but both miss the optimum mark. See the link below for more info. I didn't see where the HPD has a PA of 40 -- the cert and HPD website both state 40.8, which again is an optimum value.

http://www.heartsandarrows.com/hearts-arrows-diamond-ideal-cut-dna.aspx

I think both are very beautiful stones and from great companies with excellent customer service and upgrade programs. If the color is not a deal breaker for you, then I'd choose the WF stone because it simply has more positives in its favor.

One thing you indicated that struck me odd is you couldn't tell a difference between the HPD and WF stones. I've read a few posts where others have compared these two super ideals and indicated they had a preference for the HPD stone because of a difference in contrast. I've not compared them with my own eyes to confirm or deny that information, but I've seen it in photos and videos and I do like the way HPD cuts their stones. But you aren't seeing that difference, so with that being said, again if the I color doesn't bother you I think WF is the way I would go.

Iceman_India

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys!

@sledge -- thanks for the detailed comment.

On fluorescence, I have no experience with it, but it was quite noticeable under UV light, hence the concern. I guess, on some level, I am concerned if the fluorescence is graded incorrectly in the report (though it seems quite an illogical and unlikely thought).

On clarity, the HPD one was eye clean really by any such definition (for me). Even after I knew the inclusions via the loupe, I could not find them from any angle or distance. I'm sure it's possible that a pro can find them, but it's eye clean enough for me. However, there was a notable difference in terms of how clean and smooth the surface of the diamond looked, overall. I am not sure if that is related to the clarity grades and inclusions (but perhaps it is related to the twinning wisps?)

The color seemed close enough face-up, even when looked at side-by-side. I think it might be related to the fluorescence, because the H did not actually look whiter to me in natural light, though I am sure it is. When looking from the side, I could tell the difference, but it was quite marginal

On the PA, I had typed 40.8 for HPDs, but the forum turned part of that into an emoticon. I just wanted to be sure there was nothing magic about 40.8 specifically that 40.7 would not be good enough to match. Sounds like that is not something to be concerned about, as I would have expected.

On the contrast and light performance in general, there really wasn't an appreciable difference. The pro at the HPD retailer (Bill) also saw the light reflection and performance as essentially identical.

On size, there was a clear difference when placed side by side, as you would expect.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you guys!

@sledge -- thanks for the detailed comment.

On fluorescence, I have no experience with it, but it was quite noticeable under UV light, hence the concern. I guess, on some level, I am concerned if the fluorescence is graded incorrectly in the report (though it seems quite an illogical and unlikely thought).

On clarity, the HPD one was eye clean really by any such definition (for me). Even after I knew the inclusions via the loupe, I could not find them from any angle or distance. I'm sure it's possible that a pro can find them, but it's eye clean enough for me. However, there was a notable difference in terms of how clean and smooth the surface of the diamond looked, overall. I am not sure if that is related to the clarity grades and inclusions (but perhaps it is related to the twinning wisps?)

The color seemed close enough face-up, even when looked at side-by-side. I think it might be related to the fluorescence, because the H did not actually look whiter to me in natural light, though I am sure it is. When looking from the side, I could tell the difference, but it was quite marginal

On the PA, I had typed 40.8 for HPDs, but the forum turned part of that into an emoticon. I just wanted to be sure there was nothing magic about 40.8 specifically that 40.7 would not be good enough to match. Sounds like that is not something to be concerned about, as I would have expected.

On the contrast and light performance in general, there really wasn't an appreciable difference. The pro at the HPD retailer (Bill) also saw the light reflection and performance as essentially identical.

On size, there was a clear difference when placed side by side, as you would expect.

I actually bought a BGD Blue series diamond for my girl. Below is a link to the specs, and in the images you can see how the diamond shines blue under extreme black light (UV). My stone has medium fluor. Yet, under normal viewing conditions I have not seen a blue hue.

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...0.867-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104098623002

Also, I have a plethora of pictures of the ring starting around page 9 of my custom ring build. The first few are the glamour shots from DK who designed the setting. A page or two later are hand shots on my girl in varying light conditions.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dk-bgd-custom-setting-the-home-stretch.240843/page-9

Based on my own experience, and coupled with the fact the fluor is negligible and an ACA I really think this is a non-issue for you. Unless you own a few strip clubs, use blacklights and your girl frequents the clubs with you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I think you are good.

The color looking almost identical in the face up view doesn't surprise me, as that is where they are their whitest. As you indicated, you will begin to see very slight variations in color/tint from the side view. Also, it has been said that many I colored stones are more subjectively graded meaning they can be closer to an H or J depending on the reviewer.

One question to consider -- is your sensitivity to color & clarity the same as your girl? If she is more sensitive to one or the other, you may want to consider that in your final decision process.

Thank you for clarifying the contrast/look difference between the HPD and WF stones.

Iceman_India

Rough_Rock
I actually bought a BGD Blue series diamond for my girl. Below is a link to the specs, and in the images you can see how the diamond shines blue under extreme black light (UV). My stone has medium fluor. Yet, under normal viewing conditions I have not seen a blue hue.

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...0.867-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104098623002

Also, I have a plethora of pictures of the ring starting around page 9 of my custom ring build. The first few are the glamour shots from DK who designed the setting. A page or two later are hand shots on my girl in varying light conditions.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dk-bgd-custom-setting-the-home-stretch.240843/page-9

Thanks for sharing, that looks great!

Based on my own experience, and coupled with the fact the fluor is negligible and an ACA I really think this is a non-issue for you. Unless you own a few strip clubs, use blacklights and your girl frequents the clubs with you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I think you are good.

Haha!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results