shape
carat
color
clarity

Cholesterol??????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
We are of the age when there''s bound to be something. Hubby''s bloodwork came back great! But, he is borderline high choles. His good choles. is very high which is good; but, the overall number exceeds the norm.

The doctor wants to see him back in 6 months. He has not recommended meds & says try to see if diet makes a diff. He has been eating less carbs & hasn''t been paying attention to his fat intake as much. The doctor seems to think this is the culprit as his numbers have been in the very normal range previously.

I''ve heard conflicting reports. Some say that one must pay attention to intake of saturated fats. They say that the choles. numbers & recommended % are outdated and mean nothing.

Any thoughts at all on a healthy (one that doesn''t deprive too much as we both live to eat & don''t eat to live) cholesterol lowering diet? Your favorite non-guilty pleasure?

Thanks in advance. This is all new to us.

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
Hey Fire and Ice

What I believe your husband is really trying to do, rather than lower his cholesterol, is lower his risk of having a heart attack or stroke. Cholesterol is but one thing that contributes to this risk - as such, one's risk of having a heart attack is the sum of many factors. So, as important as lowering cholesterol is, for example, exercising, staying slim (so as to avoid diabetes) and, above all, stopping smoking. Further evidence of this is based on the fact that the majority of people who have heart attacks have normal cholesterol levels.

Studies have shown now that cholesterol lowering drugs (notably "statins") lower the risk of heart attacks regardless of the initial cholesterol level, which is to say that people with a normal cholesterol level could benefit from these drugs particularly if they are at risk because of other reasons. The risk is reduced by 25%, which if the risk is high, is a big number, but is very probably not worth it, if one's risk of low.

Indeed, saturated fats are not as good as polyunsaturated fats (particularly fish) and monounsaturated ones...

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Hi F&I,
It's good that your hubby's HDL (good cholesterol) is high. Exercise is an important component of not only staying healthy, but in positively influencing HDL. I agree with GR in that the concern about high cholesterol should not be viewed singularly, in light of the individual's potential risk of developing heart disease. There are two specific side effects about statin drugs that concern me: (1) stress on the liver (2) the possible break down of muscle tissue.
6.gif
When taking statin drugs, frequent liver function tests need to be performed (usually every 3 months) to see that the meds aren't harming the liver. I would suggest that people who are taking statin drugs consider taking Milk Thistle/(Silymarin) extract to help improve the metabolism of their
1.gif
liver cells. Milk Thistle is recommended for those with liver problems such as hepatitis or those who have had a history of drinking too much alcohol and have harmed their liver. Statin drugs can potentially cause a condition called rhabdomyloysis, a breakdown in muscle fibers. This is a very rare condition, but my business partner developed this herself after only having been on Lipitor for 3 weeks. It started as a very deep pain in her hip. BTW, there are some very moderate dietary changes that can help reduce cholesterol. Four things really: increasing the intake of soy, sticky fiber, eating more oily fish, and a handful of raw almonds daily (about 20 or so). There is a nutritional supplement called red yeast rice that acts similar to the statin drugs in that it inhibits the liver from producing cholesterol. The caution with red yeast rice is the same as that with the regular statin drugs: get your liver function tests regularly, and pay attention to any signs of deep muscle pain, and also try to take Milk Thistle. Does your hubby take Vit E, Vit C or aspirin on a daily basis? These agents can help thin blood and help improve the integrity of the blood vessels. Always consult with your doc, but I thought I would just share my 2 cs. Hoping your hubby the best!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/10/2004 8:48:21 PM iceprincess wrote:

Hi F&I,

1.Exercise is an important component of not only staying healthy

2.BTW, there are some very moderate dietary changes that can help reduce cholesterol. Four things really: increasing the intake of soy, sticky fiber, eating more oily fish, and a handful of raw almonds daily (about 20 or so).

3.Does your hubby take Vit E, Vit C or aspirin on a daily basis? These agents can help thin blood and help improve the integrity of the blood vessels. Always consult with your doc, but I thought I would just share my 2 cs. Hoping your hubby the best!----------------

Hey thanks.

1. Yes, he does exercise (cardio) regularly & does some minor weights.

2. We have increased our intake of fish. He hates soy & can detect it in things. We eat a handful of Walnuts. I have been told they have more of that omega fat than almonds. But, I love almonds too! I cook mostly in olive oil.

3. He takes a multi-vitamin & has been taking asprin regularly.

It's good to know that we are on the right track. We both are big believers (good or bad) in not taking medicines unless absolutely necessary. So, he would really like to control it with diet & exercise. A month before the test, he started really watching his carbs which led to him eating more "meat". But, more than that (unbeknownst to me) he was eating these no carb power bars which contained quite a bit of bad fat. I guess we will know when he goes back for blood work in 5 mos. or so.

Thanks for your response! Love to hear more. Especially favorite foods that are good for you.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Walnuts are number one followed by almonds.

Small amounts of dark chocolate are good for blood pressure and also contain antioxidants.

Canola oil would be better than Olive, but Olive is second.

Salmon then tuna for your fish, although some other fish are neutral (not good or bad). Limit all meats to a 4oz serving (rather small). Two steaks a month treat pork like red meat. Never eat meat from around a bone, use center cut meats.

Have many servings of vegetables and fruits each day. Eat many small meals and not just a few large ones.

Cut out egg yokes, butter, and only drink a limited amount of skim milk.

Your total fat intake shouldn’t exceed 2% per hundred calories. Stay away from saturated fats, don't add salt to anything.

When cooking do not add salt either. If you must, add 1/2 the normal amount. Same with sugar.

This is the basics of my heart healthy diet. And as said before exercise at least 3 times per week.

FYI: Now they are breaking down the cholesterols into giving much more info. Not just the types of cholesterol but the size of the particles. Larger particles do not clot as easy as small ones.
Visit here for more info.

My hdl is rising from 37 to 47, and my ldl is down from 126 to 55. Please remember I'm using drugs too.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
To add to the above: try to avoid processed fats. Anything "partially hydrogenated" is to be shunned. Butter instead of margarine, olive oil over anything else, and more stuff made from scratch instead of pre-packaged.

Also, a high fiber intake is a good idea too.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
I had this happen to me just recently. I had my cholesterol levels tested and overall they came out very high. Bad ones were high, good ones were low, to boot. It appears that part of the problem is familial; father and brother both have high levels too.

I am eating healthily, excercising regularly, losing weight steadily and I am about to give up smoking. I'm eating various foods that have been proven to lower cholesterol and I feel that I'd rather not take statins because of the liver damage that might ensue. My husband (doctor) has advised me not to worry too much about the cholesterol levels. He says that it may be that I have a good cardiovascular system anyway - I have a good circulation - and that my other risk factors don't lead him to think that there will be a problem.

I've waited 6 months since the first test and I'm having my levels tested again on Friday. I'll let you know how they come out when I get the results.

Sometimes I feel that we worry too much about every little detail of our health. I feel that as long as we look after ourselves to a sensible degree, the rest is in God's hands.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Hey! Thanks all for the advice!

Hope you check in Bagbuss w/ update on Friday!

jackieblue

Rough_Rock
I know several people who already had healthy diets and lifestyles who succesfully lowered high cholesterol with the addition of flaxseed meal to their diets. You can bake it in muffins or bread, sprinkle it on your oatmeal, or do a bunch of things. One of these people did it to avoid medication and has been very successful. Good luck!

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
Non-pharmacological approaches to optimizing cholesterol evels would include a diet high in fiber (fruits, veggies) and low in saturated fats, regular exercise, and smoking cessation. One specific dietary supplment that deserves special mention (IMHO) would be Omega 3 fatty acids. Current medical evidence suggests that regular intake of omega 3 fatty acids confers a benficial impact on cardiovascular risk. The American Heart Association, in fact, supports the use of fish oil supplements (rich in omega 3 fatty acids) in patients with known coronary artery disease. For those of you who find it difficult to incorporate regular consumption of fish, Costco sells this HUGE bottle of omega 3 fatty acid fish oil gel caps which is a great way to incorporate this supplement.

Check out the following references:

Click Here

Click Here

Click Here

Click Here

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Bagpuss,

If you do anything, stop smoking!

I'm 48 years old and smoked for 20+ years (really enjoyed it too). My blood pressure stayed at 130/80 and my total cholesterol was 195. I was not over weight (well not too much) and had a heart attack just over a year ago.

Knowing what I know now, and doing the things I am, I feel very confident that the smoking was the culprit.

I feel better now than I have in the past 10 years and didn't know it until I started taking better care of myself.

I'm the worst, a reformed smoker
Up_to_something.gif

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 2/19/2004 8:49:36 PM StevL wrote:

Bagpuss,

If you do anything, stop smoking!

I'm 48 years old and smoked for 20+ years (really enjoyed it too). My blood pressure stayed at 130/80 and my total cholesterol was 195. I was not over weight (well not too much) and had a heart attack just over a year ago.

Knowing what I know now, and doing the things I am, I feel very confident that the smoking was the culprit.

I feel better now than I have in the past 10 years and didn't know it until I started taking better care of myself.

I'm the worst, a reformed smoker
Up_to_something.gif

----------------

I know, I know. I gave up for over two years and like a fool went back to it!

I had the test done today, but won't get the results for a couple of weeks. Will check back in when they arrive. I bought a big jar of omega 3 fish oil capsules today, which I hope will help too.

The nurse also checked my BP, it was a little high, 140/92, but I had been rushing a bit. I'll get husband to check it again at home when I've been sitting quietly for a while to see if that makes a difference. He says 150/90 is OK.

My weight has stayed down though and I've even lost a few more pounds, so I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing and get everything rechecked in another few months time.

I'm doing the best I can.
saint.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Dr. Derek,

I always enjoy the health info links you give us. Thanks.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
regarding butter margerine & partially hydrogenated trans fats anything...I have two words.

SMART BALANCE.

O.K. - of course the best is to refrain from butter, margerine, etc. But, in moderation, this stuff really tastes good, has no trans fat, you can cook with it, low in sodium & has less saterated fat than butter.

On an interesting note, your hairdresser really has insight to your health. My friend had an undetected Thyroid problem that her hairdresser brought to the fore front (bit of hairloss & texture). My hairdresser always comments what good shape my hair is in the summer months. I buy tons of great, fresh fruits & veggies from the Farmer's Market & eat heartily. The winter months are tougher as the veggies & fruits aren't great.

Nothing better than a homegrown tomatoe! And, great on toasted bread (whole wheat of course!).

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Fire&Ice,

I know sometimes it's real hard to really eat enough fiber rich foods. So another good way is to take the fiber powder such as "metamucil". They sell them in Costco. I drink a lot of metamucil a day because I get constipated very easily. And with the amount of fiber I drink a day, I thought it was a good idea to ask the doctor if it is okay. The doctor told me it will do no harm, and it's acutually good for the body AND it lowers the cholestrol. So, sometimes it may be hard to get enough fiber intake per day, but drinking a glass of water with fiber mixed in it will replace about 1 serving or fruits and veggies. Though natural fruits and veggies has lots of vitamins that's also good for you, maybe it'll be a good idea for him to take some powdered fiber with water when it's meal time. Doctor also said that the gelatin like texture of the fiber mix absorbs some of the fat and oil that your body doesn't need.

I hope this helps~~

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results