shape
carat
color
clarity

Chocolate/brown/champagne diamonds?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What are your thoughts on them? Do you think one would look good in a rose gold setting? I have my eye on a 4.2ct light/medium chocolate pear shaped diamond (SI1) and am wondering what I would do with it. I would buy it to set, not just to sit in my collection so I want to make sure I have something to put it in.

I like the rose gold idea to give it a chocolate strawberry dessert look ;-) but I want ya'll opinion! No pictures as of yet though, sorry :(.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2010 1:33:40 PM
Author:RockHugger
What are your thoughts on them? Do you think one would look good in a rose gold setting?

I think they are very beautiful. It's actually the only brown gemstone I'm willing to wear. I think they would look stunning in rose gold. Here's my pink champagne in a rose gold halo. 51 points. My green diamond was just in the photo, and I could't crop it properly, but both are in rose gold. I LOVE rose gold (I hope LD isn't reading this
2.gif
) A while back someone posted a drop dead gorgeous pink champagne in a custom rose gold setting, and I can't find it. It was a rectangular cut. If you look at diamondsbylauren.com, David absolutely adores putting champagne and chocolate diamonds in rose gold. There should be plenty of examples on his site.

TLpinkchampagnehalo.JPG

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh you just wanted to show that green diamond off :razz:! hehe

I like how it looks in rose gold! I love rose gold also. I have very very pale skin with a peach undertone, so rosegold looks AMAZING on me. I dont know why I dont have any RG jewelry though! I will have to change this!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2010 1:47:01 PM
Author: RockHugger
Oh you just wanted to show that green diamond off :razz:! hehe

I like how it looks in rose gold! I love rose gold also. I have very very pale skin with a peach undertone, so rosegold looks AMAZING on me. I dont know why I dont have any RG jewelry though! I will have to change this!

Ha ha!! I''ve been referred to as albino woman on several occassions, and having super pale ghostly skin, I love rose gold, but you know what, even if it looked bad on my skin, I wouldn''t care. I buy rings to please me, not to color coordinate. I know, I''m tacky.
37.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Like any variety, they can be pretty and then, not so much - depends on the shade of color, clarity, quality of cut, overall shape etc. I've seen some frozen spit "champagne" diamonds which I'd personally never buy, and some big vendors (khm, you know which type of vendors I'm refering to...) will come up with any fancy-schmancy name to sell them for quite a lot. But then there are some really wonderful ones in various colors, amberish, rootbear, chocolate, whiskey etc. Those, of course, tend to cost more, but I think they're worth it. I love neutral colors in general so such stones really appeal to me, and I also love it when they're combined with rose gold, and I'm usually not a rose gold fan.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a number of chocolate brown diamonds and then some that are more champagne.

Rose gold? Not a chance - yuck! It clashes. (Sorry TL - love ya lots!)

I''ve only ever seen one example of where it worked and that was a ring made by DBL. David has a wonderful eye as TL said but his pink/rose gold is very very very delicate and you need to make sure if you''re going to use rose gold that you get it to co-ordinate OTHERWISE it dominates.

White gold or yellow gold - depending on the shade of brown.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
rootbeer! Thats the color it is. I like that name cause I LOOOVE rootbeer.

I have seen some ''chocolate'' diamonds you know where that look like what a smoker would cough up.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2010 2:08:32 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I have a number of chocolate brown diamonds and then some that are more champagne.

Rose gold? Not a chance - yuck! It clashes. (Sorry TL - love ya lots!)

I've only ever seen one example of where it worked and that was a ring made by DBL. David has a wonderful eye as TL said but his pink/rose gold is very very very delicate and you need to make sure if you're going to use rose gold that you get it to co-ordinate OTHERWISE it dominates.

White gold or yellow gold - depending on the shade of brown.

Uh oh, LD did see this thread.
2.gif

I happen to respectfully disagree with LD as I think rose gold enhances the color on chocolate diamonds. I have a champagne diamond in white gold, and it looks
14.gif
I never wear it, and I'm thinking of resetting it in rose gold (much to LD's chagrin, she's probably quietly being ill).

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How could you put this in rose gold??????? NO NO NO NO NO NON NON NON NON

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I'm as big a fan of rose gold as they come, but for this color stone I'd do yellow gold, definitely.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would normally agree with PinkAsscher BUT I put one of mine in yellow gold and the colours merged just a bit too much - see? It really depends on the tone of the diamond I think.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2010 2:54:49 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
How could you put this in rose gold??????? NO NO NO NO NO NON NON NON NON

You see, I would put that in rose gold. Sorry LD.
7.gif

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Agree! I LOVE rose gold with brownish diamonds!

I have been fantasizing myself about how gorgeous Leon prongs in rose gold (he does work in it sometimes, it seems) would look with a chocolatey or champagney diamond.

just imagine!

And I actually would prefer it simply, without the pave, almost like a combo with this. Check out that basket!

Anyone know of any who has actually worked with Leon in gold, rose or otherwise? I wonder how the costs compare and what his feelings about doing it are. I mean, his site is called "Art of Platinum," so clearly he has a preference?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well I bought the rootbeer colored diamond. I should get it in a week or so. I will post pics ASAP!! It was described as an antique cut diamond, so hopfully I will like it!!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2010 1:40:28 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 4/11/2010 1:33:40 PM

Author:RockHugger

What are your thoughts on them? Do you think one would look good in a rose gold setting?

I think they are very beautiful. It''s actually the only brown gemstone I''m willing to wear. I think they would look stunning in rose gold. Here''s my pink champagne in a rose gold halo. 51 points. My green diamond was just in the photo, and I could''t crop it properly, but both are in rose gold. I LOVE rose gold (I hope LD isn''t reading this
2.gif
) A while back someone posted a drop dead gorgeous pink champagne in a custom rose gold setting, and I can''t find it. It was a rectangular cut. If you look at diamondsbylauren.com, David absolutely adores putting champagne and chocolate diamonds in rose gold. There should be plenty of examples on his site.

TL, I remember that poster! She was only on PS briefly and IIRC she had a pink-champagne EC in a "band aid" color inspired rose gold alloy custom setting. It was very pretty and unique.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2010 4:33:41 PM
Author: velouriaL

I have been fantasizing myself about how gorgeous Leon prongs in rose gold (he does work in it sometimes, it seems) would look with a chocolatey or champagney diamond.

just imagine!

And I actually would prefer it simply, without the pave, almost like a combo with this. Check out that basket!

Anyone know of any who has actually worked with Leon in gold, rose or otherwise? I wonder how the costs compare and what his feelings about doing it are. I mean, his site is called ''Art of Platinum,'' so clearly he has a preference?

I think that he does prefer platinum, but will work in 18k gold as well. IIRC, he charges the same for both because he is less comfortable in gold and it takes him more effort.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I will babysit that ring for you if you want ;-)

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Champagne diamonds can have a pinkish or yellowish hue. If it has a pinkish hue, I use rose gold. If it has a yellowish hue, I use yellow gold.

I try to determine what hue I want to enhance in my stones, and chooose the metal color accordingly.

I have a champagne diamond that has a peachy hue, so I set it in an 18K rose gold halo with an 18K white gold shank.

The rose gold brought out the peachiness.
1.gif

Rockhugger, I can't wait to see your rootbeer diamond!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2010 5:20:34 PM
Author: IndyLady

Date: 4/11/2010 4:33:41 PM
Author: velouriaL

just imagine!

Anyone know of any who has actually worked with Leon in gold, rose or otherwise? I wonder how the costs compare and what his feelings about doing it are. I mean, his site is called ''Art of Platinum,'' so clearly he has a preference?

I think that he does prefer platinum, but will work in 18k gold as well. IIRC, he charges the same for both because he is less comfortable in gold and it takes him more effort.
That''s odd, I thought it was easier to work with gold than platinum. I could be wrong.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I think for me it would really depend on the shade of the diamond - but I''m almost always a rose gold fan :)

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
..lol.."amberish, rootbear, chocolate, whiskey etc." what, go to home depot grab some paint swatches and name the color?..lol

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have been on record as saying that i think both red and green gold should be used more. however, for the record, i think that champagne/cognac diamonds in red gold would be a waste of both the stone and the red gold.

mz

ps i love champagnes/cognac diamonds!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread points out something interesting to me. I think metal colors can be as personal and individualized as what people like about some gems. For example, some people don''t like a specific color gem, while others do. I think metal colors can be very subjective as well.

dori2002

Rough_Rock
I just picked this up from Diamondsbylauren, it has rose colored prongs that blend in well, hope this helps.

d2a.JPG

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
dori, i like your ring with the pink/red gold prongs. it appears that i like it used as a highlighter, used minimally, with this type of diamond. still not keen on a complete red/pink gold setting for champagnes.....

mz

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
RH-congrats on the diamond purchase, to me it all depends on the tone of the stone and it''s secondary hues to decide what metal to set the stone in. It will be fun to see pics of you new purchase!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/11/2010 5:17:14 PM
Author: IndyLady
Date: 4/11/2010 1:40:28 PM

........ A while back someone posted a drop dead gorgeous pink champagne in a custom rose gold setting, and I can''t find it. It was a rectangular cut. If you look at diamondsbylauren.com, David absolutely adores putting champagne and chocolate diamonds in rose gold. There should be plenty of examples on his site.

TL, I remember that poster! She was only on PS briefly and IIRC she had a pink-champagne EC in a ''band aid'' color inspired rose gold alloy custom setting. It was very pretty and unique.

One of my all time favorite e-rings:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-pink-champagne-e-ring.78974/

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Ara Ann, that''s the one!! Thank you so much for the link!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results