shape
carat
color
clarity

Chipped wee Peruzzi

mockturtle

Rough_Rock
Hello! :wavey:

I got this little stone thinking I was going to set it in a bezel ring. But I think the chip is too big to hide in a bezel setting.
What do you think? I’m sorry for the horrible photo.

F438B7D2-A576-45A1-ADE0-30D1071828D1.jpeg

I’ve seen some creative setting for a chipped stone like this
91E35D54-7966-4BDD-9D3D-75A33B651D4D.jpeg
But my stone has a chip in only one corner.
Have you seen any magical setting job that can hide a chip like this? Or should I just return it? :cry2:

Thanks!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Did you buy this or did you own this?

mockturtle

Rough_Rock
I just bought this stone. I couldn’t see the chip too well in the seller photos, but I knew it was there. It was a pretty good price so I took a chance. It’s a pretty white clean stone otherwise. I’m debating whether I should return it.

I love the Georgian silver setting so very much. But I was thinking clean simple bezel for this stone. But is the chip too big for it to work?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I cannot quite see if the rounded down-right corner is chipped or faceted this way. I would set as a drop with this corner at the attachment point.

I love this cut (would-be lightly knaped little octahedrons?) & would stop the wheel well before current cut models are considered completed...

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A9346E5F-86FD-47C7-A609-3215AEB3C6B4.jpeg You could bezel it with the diagonally opposite “good” corner at the top and do a slightly rounded bottom shape to conceal the side with the chip.
Excuse my lack of artistic talent!

mockturtle

Rough_Rock
@AV_ the bottom right corner appears to be just the way it was cut. The stone has a very sharp girdle. I’m surprised the other three corners survived after it was set in this ill fitting setting. Using the bad corner as an attachment point for a drop is a great idea. I was kind of set on making it into a ring, but maybe not!

@Bron357 thank you for the drawing! That would make a very unique ring.

Last night, I was thinking I’d return the ring, but I don’t know.... it’s hard to find this cut that I can afford....

Reactions: AV_

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My advice is usually to wait for a really nice one. I know these aren't common, but I guess I like a more symmetrical stone. My old tag line was, "When in doubt, don't". That still holds true for me. Buy only things that you love! (So if you love this, keep it! If not, send it back!)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking of a drop ring, in fact; the shape is better for this than a simple square.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd put the body in a bezel or a halo to protect it, and cover the chip with a thick 3 piece style fleur de lis type prongs

mockturtle

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your ideas, everyone!!

You’re right, @diamondseeker2006 I should wait for a nicer stone. I’m pretty forgiving for imperfections in old stones, I think it’s part of their charms. But I think the beauty of this cut is how symmetric and sharp they look. And I want it in a setting that enhances it. Even if I kept this one, I’d be looking for another, and when I find a better one, this will sit in my box and be forgotten. “When in doubt, don’t” shall be my mantra from now on. Thank you!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My advice is usually to wait for a really nice one. I know these aren't common, but I guess I like a more symmetrical stone. My old tag line was, "When in doubt, don't". That still holds true for me. Buy only things that you love! (So if you love this, keep it! If not, send it back!)

I agree, But, it depends if you purchased this for a steal. If it was as really small price because of the chip then I wouldn't send it back. I'd figure out a way to use it.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
It seems cut for this sort of thing - www

... this stone caught my immagination: it is as if half square, half round (along the NE-SW diagonal) & I am often amused by traces of the squereness of (the section of) crystals left as extra facets forming a cross on the pavilion of OEC where optics could be adjusted to this variation - your stone seems to be doing this well...

____
I do not know if I have the technical story right - I think I am seeing this much among the catalogue of experimental cut models that is pre-1900s melee
@Serg @diagem

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results