carat
color
clarity

Chipped girdle in OEC, return it??

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Dear PSers,

Today I received my first tiny 0.33c E, IF OEC and excitedly started examining it. First I was ecstatic as I love the petal facets that it displays but soon it went all downhill as I noticed considerable chips on the girdle. I found an old thread about the same topic (https://www.pricescope.com/communit...p-chipped-girdle-on-my-heirloom-stone.189161/) but I would love to know exactly how serious of a concern this is? The chips look "clean", e.g. no crack is expanding from them towards the middle.

I am torn between returning the stone or keeping it. I am unsure if repolishing would ever be worth the cost as well as the trouble of sending it somewhere abroad. Any advice regarding returning/keeping? It'll be truly appreciated! :))

OEC close.JPG

6376C97E-F632-40D5-B6AC-669AC853140C.jpeg

OEC chip.JPG

OEC chip2.JPG

KingKuda

Rough_Rock
Premium
My 2 cents for what it's worth is if you love it, keep it and insure it. If by the odd chance it breaks, it's covered. That's going to eliminate all of your anxiety.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d return it.
I think for the size there’s no reason to compromise. You can easily find another small antique stone that doesn’t have chips

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d return it.
I think for the size there’s no reason to compromise. You can easily find another small antique stone that doesn’t have chips

This exactly. It's pretty but at that size you can find another without a chip.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the vendor will get it re-polished at their risk and expense, I might keep it as a potential. Otherwise, I'd return it. There are a lot of OEC-fish in the sea at this size (though this looks more like an ACC in terms of perimeter shape).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Aino,

This isn't uncommon with these old diamonds as you're aware, the way I see it you have some choices.

I'd contact the vendor anyway and point out these chips, especially if you weren't made aware at the point of sale. Then see what happens, you'll either have the option to return it I imagine or you might be able to negotiate a discount.

Or just return it and try again, as RS says, there will be others in this size, especially if this will never be ' mind clean' for you.

For what it's worth, it would bother me.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 2 cents for what it's worth is if you love it, keep it and insure it. If by the odd chance it breaks, it's covered. That's going to eliminate all of your anxiety.

I'd just add to that Aino, if you go this route to insure it, you would need to see about disclosing the girdle chips as to omit that information might render any policy void should you ever need to claim.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't be insuring a .33 diamond under any circumstances, unless it was a fancy red, blue, or other rare color. I'd definitely return it as others have suggested. I think the grading is questionable if it has chips and is supposed to be IF. Is it GIA graded? It's definitely not an OEC.

I just wanted to add that it isn't uncommon for some antique stones to have "naturals" on the girdle which is just a natural indentation in the rough.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not entirely sure that is a chip...could be a natural that was left on girdle? Hopefully one of our Older cut appraisers can step in and say something
about it.

Edit...just realized DS made this comment above.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Definitely not a chip. It’s a natural, the edge of the original crystal, which is really cool. My 5ct diamond has two naturals, and I love them.

(I know that two others have said this, and I’m totally confident that this is correct.)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
^
Definitely possible.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still, if you paid for IF and it's not, your price should be adjusted (downward).

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow, so many replies, first of all a huge THANK YOU to everyone! This has been immensely helpful!

I have now contacted the seller and said that I want to either return it or receive a partial refund. I would prefer to get a part of my money back and keep the stone. Just hoping that he won't argue that it's still a good price and deny any partial refund.

Thanks @missy & @KingKuda and @Niel !
I know it is easy to find an antique cut of this size but in my 1-2 months of looking around I haven't come across a stone that is not only cut with this clear "petals" that I adore but also is just completely white even from the side and has no inclusions when viewed under my microscope. My goal is to one day find something similar in a bigger size but since I saw this, I thought why not grab it :mrgreen:

Thanks @rockysalamander ! Could I ask what is an ACC diamond? Antique cushion cut? I googled and indeed they look more like mine in their shape. I love the chunky corners and non perfect roundness.

Thanks @Lorelei ! I think this would be mind clean for me. I am not too bothered about the chips as they are on the sides. My only concern would be the structural integrity and if that's compromised. Plus obviously the issue with money, hopefully the seller will come back to me with a reasonable reply.

Thanks @diamondseeker2006 , this is very helpful! I haven't come across these natural indendations on the girdle. Actually one of my diamonds has a tiny "natural" as well so I can compare! Will have an other look tomorrow all around the girdle to see the other "chips" that I saw.

The stone is not GIA certified unfortunately. I bought it from Germany from a reputable gemologist seller trading with loose diamonds. With the return policy being good and having a microscope and an E diamond at home, I thought to risk it with the small rock... :(

Thanks @tyty333 for chiming in and recognizing it as a potential natural!

Thanks @Tourmaline ! It sounds interesting how close they must have then cut this stone out of the crystal. And these rough edges would then leave a slightly thick girdle to some areas which is actually quite clever considering that in other parts there's basically no girdle at all to protect the stone!

Thanks @ringo865 ! Definitely agree, just hoping that the seller agrees as well :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like the stone, see if you can find someone independent ( not a seller of jewellery) to confirm if these are naturals and not chips, then you'll know where you stand re any price adjustments. If it turns out they are naturals I wouldn't expect one but if those taint the stone for you, it might be best to return and start over, there should be plenty of contenders in this type and size as Rocky says.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OEC? It looks like an OMC to me. I think you should return it. I've had to do that with a spinel.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might be (60% odds) that the rough patch is all that remains of the skin of the crystal www. It seems to merely widen the girdle with nothing showing face-up - no real problem. Even if it is not ... I would consider the price (such is the world !) and keep the obviously beautiful diamond.

Just a thought ...

_

The older I get, the more I love the octahedrons ...

Last edited:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a natural to me. My OEC and antique cushion both have them. They really are kinda cool as they are the skin of the original crystal. I think of them as original *birth marks* and aren’t harmful to the stone. A natural or an indented natural shouldn’t be represented as IF however. Pretty stone.

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your further inputs, this forum is fantastic! It has helped me a lot to hear all your opinions. I’m now feeling a lot more positive and leaning towards keeping it :))

I had a further look at the “chips” with a microscope and indeed they all look like natural indents. I found some more helpful old threads here as well and these girdle naturals seem rather common with antique cuts. To me it makes sense as the stone remains slightly larger and gets a bit of a “girdle” to protect it from hits. I don’t notice it from the top at all so it would not bother me, the stone will face up 100% clean.

Still hoping that the seller would give me a partial refund though since he failed to mention the “chips” but even without the refund, I’m quite happy with the price I paid (a bit under 400$).

@Lorelei thanks again for your input!! I’ll most likely not have it checked as I live in Switzerland and here everything costs $$$.. would love to but simply not worth it with an inexpensive stone like this one. Regarding your comment about more old cuts being easily available, would you have a recommended source? I have scoured eBay and checked old world diamonds. Haven’t come across white clean nicely cut ones (for me that’s the petals :mrgreen2: ) for a decent price.

@valeria101 exactly my thoughts ! Not exactly what I thought I would get but the faceting is even better than expected so I’m happy :))

@Bonfire thanks for your reassuring comment! I agree. And true, not pleased with the seller, they are enough obvious with a loupe that the seller must have noticed them!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Find out how much it will cost to fix and the lost weight. And make your decision then including a price reduction as to the loss and cost to fix.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks like a natural, but an appraiser could tell you for sure. A natural means it's not broken and not worth fixing.

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks @lambskin and @Rhea I will visit a local gemologist to get a quote for an appraisal next week but I suspect it being very pricy considering it's in Switzerland. I didn't pay that much for the stone to justify much extra spenditure and as I love it as it is and feel quite positive about the "chips" being naturals, I'm just going to hold on to it and admire the beautiful petal faceting :)) So happy for all the helpful replies here!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear that you’re keeping it! Naturals are my favorite inclusion (are we allowed to actually like an inclusion? LOL!) and I hope to own a diamond with a natural someday! :appl:

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear that you’re keeping it! Naturals are my favorite inclusion (are we allowed to actually like an inclusion? LOL!) and I hope to own a diamond with a natural someday! :appl:

Hah,I wouldn't mind if the naturals disappeared miraculously but I think they might be my favourite inclusion if one must pick one :mrgreen: Funnily enough my VVS2 e-ring has an indented natural too so looks like I am drawn to them!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results