shape
carat
color
clarity

China

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Are you registering for it? Why or why not? If so, which pattern?

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
We already did. I grew up in a home that pulls down the china for every special occasion. It always made meals even more special. There was something so cool about having Christmas morning breakfast by candlelight, drinking OJ out of waterford crystal and cinnamon bubka on china! Actually, my parents have even replaced all their everday drinkware with waterford crystal since they like it so much. Their children are grown, so they aren''t as worried about it getting broken.

I definitely plan to have all special meals on china and crystal. So we registered for a simple Waterford china setting called Kilbarry platinum. It is simple and really reasonably priced - as china goes. Our crystal pattern is Waterford Kelsey. My Dad is a citizen of both Ireland and the US. He genuinely tihnks that Waterford is absolutley the end all, be all of crystal and china. For some reason, it was important to him that we chose our patterns from Waterford. (Isn''t weird what family members focus on as weddings approach?) We were happy to oblige, as our favorite patterns were from Waterford anyway! My Dad said that anything we don''t get as wedding gifts he''ll finish off with his next trip to the factory. (To him the Waterford factory is like the Guiness brewery to most tourists! Good thing my mum enjoys visiting the factory as well!)

Oddly enough, I don''t think we will register for everyday dishes, as my parents just re-did their kitchen and their plates no longer match. They have a full set that FI and I love, and they said we could have them. I love free stuff!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Eh. I haven't decided yet.

If we do, this pattern (Vera Wang Blue Duchesse) is the frontrunner. I love it. It's expensive, but I think it's beautiful.

verawang.JPG

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
That's really pretty Ebree! We aren't going to register because I am going to get my Mom's china. She has enough that we can both have almost full sets and I love the pattern and the platinum around the edges. I really like that I get the china that I grew up with on every holiday.

P.S. basil I love your e-ring
30.gif
!!

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Indecisive! I love it too
1.gif

I wasn''t going to register for china, because I don''t think we''ll be having many fancy dinner parties in our first few years of marriage. But my mom convinced me. She didn''t get china when she got married, and has always wished she had some, but never went out to buy any because she had other priorities. I feel like now is really the only time where it''s appropriate to spend that much money on dishes! My grandmother has a beautiful set of green-rimmed china that I love. I''d buy the same pattern if they still made it!

Of course, the patterns that I like are the expensive ones. My favorite is Kate Spade Pompano Point. It''s my fiance''s favorite too, but I worry that because it''s not traditional or classic, I''ll get sick of it. My other option would be a plain gold rim. That way, when I inherit my grandmother''s china after my mom is done with it...in 40 years or so...it will match
1.gif

The Kate Spade that I like:

katespadebasil.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Basil-

That china is really pretty, but to be honest, I would go with something a little more classic, this way you wont have to worry about it looking outdated in a few years...it is just too expensive to not be able to hold onto it and use it forever, ya know???
I know Lenox and Wedgewood make some really beautiful, classic sets...do you have somewhere near you that you can go check them out in person? That is what my fi and I did...ultimately, we decided not to register for it (at least for now, although I have plenty of time to change my mind
2.gif
). I did see quite a few patterns that I liked, but I tend to be drawn to more classic, clean, and simple lines. I like the one that EBree posted a lot too, although personally for me I wouldnt go with blue- I would probably choose more of a neutral color. But its very pretty!!!!

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
We def are going to register for China! I think it''s nice and adds that special touch to special occassions and holidays. A way to start a tradition.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
I would go ahead and get the green ones. here's why.

i own several sets of fine china. there is a trick to buying china, but, no one tells you this.

Here's the secret: buy a neutral (crystal, cut glass, pewter, silver) set of serving pieces, plain glass rim soup bowls, and glass two handled bouillion bowls with saucers. (See "miss manners"). set of 24 plain glass salad/dessert plates for multi purpose use. Garden Ridge Pottery a buck apiece.

then buy place settings only of the china you want. dinner and salad plates, really, are all anyone uses.

then for dessert, plain glass plates for dessert.

that's how i have christmas china, thankgiving china, halloween china, easter china, two sets of plain china, one fancy colored set of china.

I entertain a lot. (so does gypsy?) there was a fun thread recently on china. can anyone find it?

edited: Here it is!
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/does-anyone-actually-use-fine-china-crystal-sterling.48000/=

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
How much do you register for? A set of 8 or more? I always thought maybe in 8 for large plates then mroe for smaller, b/c if you have a large hors d''oeuvres holiday party, like my parents do, it may be better to have more smaller dishes?

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think that FI and I will register for china. His family is so large that we''d have to have a set of at least 25 if we were ever going to use it for family occasions.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2006 8:57:27 PM
Author: *~Sweetpea~*
How much do you register for? A set of 8 or more? I always thought maybe in 8 for large plates then mroe for smaller, b/c if you have a large hors d'oeuvres holiday party, like my parents do, it may be better to have more smaller dishes?
i registered for ten place settings of the fine china. how many can sit at your table?

for the large hors d'oeuvres party, buy several dozen dessert size glass plates from a restaurant supply or garden ridge pottery. or buffet plates.

edited to add: there will always be one idiot guest who will throw your plate in the trash. so you won't cry if it is a cheap glass plate .

pick up punch cups/bowls from garage sales. I have 50+ matching punch cups and two matching punch bowls all picked up from garage sales.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I almost feel like I have to because it''s what most people in my hometown like to give. If we don''t register, they might pick something out for us! I''d hate to see how that would turn out. We haven''t picked it yet, but I think we''ll probably go for something with some blue. i don''t want metal rims because I''ve seen so many chipped and scratched metal rims on old china.... I''m a little worried about my FI and china. He has some OCD tendencies and refuses to eat off any dish that doesn''t go in the dishwasher, plus he tends to sort of drop dishes into the sink when he''s done with them... that''s so not going to work with china and crystal but since he was raised in a house full of boys, he just doesn''t know about being graceful with dishes. I have some behavioral modification work to do.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/8/2006 9:13:25 PM
Author: ladykemma

Date: 10/8/2006 8:57:27 PM
Author: *~Sweetpea~*
How much do you register for? A set of 8 or more? I always thought maybe in 8 for large plates then mroe for smaller, b/c if you have a large hors d''oeuvres holiday party, like my parents do, it may be better to have more smaller dishes?
i registered for ten place settings of the fine china. how many can sit at your table?

for the large hors d''oeuvres party, buy several dozen dessert size glass plates from a restaurant supply or garden ridge pottery. or buffet plates.

pick up punch cups/bowls from garage sales. I have 50+ matching punch cups and two matching punch bowls all picked up from garage sales.
Thank you for the advice! I always wondered about that. We dont have an offical "dining room table" yet (still an old table that only seats 4) but I figure when we register, we''ll register for china since we will most likely not buy any at any other time.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2006 9:13:05 PM
Author: robbie3982
I don''t think that FI and I will register for china. His family is so large that we''d have to have a set of at least 25 if we were ever going to use it for family occasions.
ha ha, sounds like an opportunity to buy "stock" in "chinet" paper plates company
3.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Haha. We''ve used paper/plastic plates at every family event I''ve been to with FI''s family. There''s just no way anyone''s going to wash so many dishes. It''s too much for a dishwasher. My family always uses china for special occasions, but my parents won''t mind if we don''t and I think my mom actually has china to give me from my grandmother. I know she asked me if I wanted it after my grandparents died, but I was in high school and I don''t remember what I said or what ended up happening. If she has it for me, then I''ll have that. Otherwise I''ll be ok with none.
1.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2006 9:59:38 PM
Author: robbie3982
Haha. We''ve used paper/plastic plates at every family event I''ve been to with FI''s family. There''s just no way anyone''s going to wash so many dishes. It''s too much for a dishwasher. My family always uses china for special occasions, but my parents won''t mind if we don''t and I think my mom actually has china to give me from my grandmother. I know she asked me if I wanted it after my grandparents died, but I was in high school and I don''t remember what I said or what ended up happening. If she has it for me, then I''ll have that. Otherwise I''ll be ok with none.
1.gif
what i do for fancy schmancy parties is hire two high school kids to keep the food going, keep the punch/drinks going, serve, and clean up. they can wash 50 glass plates.

my friends borrow my equipment for showers, etc. I will inventory right before christmas and see what''s missing.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
When my mom renovated her house after a storm, she put in a dining room that seats 50 and a second kitchen complete with an extra dishwasher. Good thing since an average family dinner at her house is at least 20 people! I think her dining room is the size of each floor in our house.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2006 9:27:51 PM
Author: sumbride
I almost feel like I have to because it's what most people in my hometown like to give. If we don't register, they might pick something out for us! I'd hate to see how that would turn out. We haven't picked it yet, but I think we'll probably go for something with some blue. i don't want metal rims because I've seen so many chipped and scratched metal rims on old china.... I'm a little worried about my FI and china. He has some OCD tendencies and refuses to eat off any dish that doesn't go in the dishwasher, plus he tends to sort of drop dishes into the sink when he's done with them... that's so not going to work with china and crystal but since he was raised in a house full of boys, he just doesn't know about being graceful with dishes. I have some behavioral modification work to do.
lenox has a microwave safe non metal rim fine china (macys, foleys) --- pretty china.

wedgwood too: nantucket basket, plain white, several others.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2006 10:13:41 PM
When my mom renovated her house after a storm, she put in a dining room that seats 50 and a second kitchen complete with an extra dishwasher. Good thing since an average family dinner at her house is at least 20 people! I think her dining room is the size of each floor in our house.
let me guess, texarkana. junior league?

well, definitely register, cuz you'll end up receiving francis 1st sterling and mismatched china.

(i wouldn't turn down francis 1st sterling.....)

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Hi...we registered for more everyday china...since weh both had Fine China that had been passed down...

We knew it would be easier for people who wanted to get us something from our registery to be able to have something to choose from...people love to give 'china'...what we loved is that it came with multiple options for color and 3 or 4 different sizes of bowls and plates...we also registered for everyday flatware...it work out great

We chose Denby Blue Jetty...

Best of Luck

bj1.jpg

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the other pick

bj2.jpg

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2006 10:28:20 PM

well, definitely register, cuz you''ll end up receiving francis 1st sterling and mismatched china.

(i wouldn''t turn down francis 1st sterling.....)

Texarkana... Yes. Junior League, no! She''s way too old for that, but even before she wasn''t, I don''t think she was in it. She''s in PEO though and has a meeting at her house every other month. Plus she hosts a party for everybody she knows that wants one. She just always wanted a huge dining room, and when the pine trees knocked down the breezeway between the house and the garage during the ice storm of Christmas 2000, she went for it. With windows on both sides and french doors, it''s lovely, but it echos like crazy with all the tile and glass. She''s not too fussy... she lets the grandkids ride their scooters around in circles in the dining room and she keeps the dachsund in there in a little portable pen in the corner.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We registered for 12 place settings of Vera Wang''s Grosgrain. We got all 12 (though used most of our gift cards to complete the set). Can''t wait for Thanksgiving to use it!!! I still would like to get a few serving pieces but that can come later. Wedgewood offers a 5 year pattern warranty. If they discountinue it they will buy back your china.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2006 4:49:01 PM

Date: 10/8/2006 10:28:20 PM

well, definitely register, cuz you''ll end up receiving francis 1st sterling and mismatched china.

(i wouldn''t turn down francis 1st sterling.....)

Texarkana... Yes. Junior League, no! She''s way too old for that, but even before she wasn''t, I don''t think she was in it. She''s in PEO though and has a meeting at her house every other month. Plus she hosts a party for everybody she knows that wants one. She just always wanted a huge dining room, and when the pine trees knocked down the breezeway between the house and the garage during the ice storm of Christmas 2000, she went for it. With windows on both sides and french doors, it''s lovely, but it echos like crazy with all the tile and glass. She''s not too fussy... she lets the grandkids ride their scooters around in circles in the dining room and she keeps the dachsund in there in a little portable pen in the corner.
sounds like my kind of gal! ROFLMAO

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
No formal china for us... can't imagine us using it more than once or twice a year!
1.gif
But we did register for this set of casual china... I ADORE the pattern and the clean, modern lines, and it's neutral enough that I think it will work in both formal and informal situations. It's called Denby White Trace:

DenbyWhiteTrace.jpg

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
This covered veggie dish is from the Denby White (minus the "Trace") collection, matching but without the pattern. I LOVE love love that elegant pottery look:

DenbyWhite1.jpg

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I know I absolutely fell in love with Kate Spade''s June Lane Gold. I just love it. Of course, it''s not exactly "timeless", but the moment I saw it, I just fell. I can''t believe how much I love it. Paul loves it, too. It was actually HIS idea to choose the gold over the silver, which is fine with me. We are going to register for plainer everyday diningwear, as well.

katespadejunelaneg.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2006 10:22:33 PM

Date: 10/8/2006 9:27:51 PM
I almost feel like I have to because it's what most people in my hometown like to give. If we don't register, they might pick something out for us! I'd hate to see how that would turn out. We haven't picked it yet, but I think we'll probably go for something with some blue. i don't want metal rims because I've seen so many chipped and scratched metal rims on old china.... I'm a little worried about my FI and china. He has some OCD tendencies and refuses to eat off any dish that doesn't go in the dishwasher, plus he tends to sort of drop dishes into the sink when he's done with them... that's so not going to work with china and crystal but since he was raised in a house full of boys, he just doesn't know about being graceful with dishes. I have some behavioral modification work to do.
lenox has a microwave safe non metal rim fine china (macys, foleys) --- pretty china.

wedgwood too: nantucket basket, plain white, several others.
lenox also makes a microwave & dishwasher safe metal rimmed china- in platinum.
it's called continental.

http://www.lenox.com/cat/index.cfm?fuseaction=subcat&cat=din&subcat=china&flt=mic

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Amber, that china is so pretty, too!

I''m not normally a brand-name designer person, but when I looked at china in a dept store, I just loved the Kate Spade patterns so much more than the "regular" kind. The Vera Wang sets were a close second. I know it''s not classic or timeless, but when you are spending that amount of money, you should get something that you absolutely love.

I see it as similar to those who go for more "modern" ring settings than classic solitaires. Sure, you''re pretty much guaranteed that a tiffany solitaire won''t go out of style, but what good is that if it''s not the one that you love?

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
basil, exactly! I can imagine seeing this pattern every day and getting soo excited. I am just worried my family (or friends or HIS family) will think we''re trying to be posh by registering for Kate Spade stuff.
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results