shape
carat
color
clarity

China thread spin-off - NON bone china?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
So, I was at crate and barrel the other day, picking up a gift for my friend, and stumbled into the china section. I was looking around and saw a really lovely set (posted below). As I was looking at it, I realized the bottom of it said "fine bone china."

Now, not being an expert, I said to my mom, "That doesn''t actually mean its made out of bone, right?" Also not being an expert, my mom replied, "no, I don''t think so...I think that just means it is very delicate, like bones..." (huh?!)

Anyways, after I had gotten home, I decided to look it up...and it turns out that bone china IS MADE OUT OF BONE....ground up ash of ox bones, to be exact.

Since my fiance and I are vegetarians, we can''t very well be eating our tofu off of ground up bone pieces...ick...SO, my questions are as follows:

1. Anyone seen a similar pattern to this, NOT made of bone?

2. Is there a way we can be sure something isn''t bone china? Obviously "fine bone china" has the bone in it...but do they sneak it into other china? If it just says "fine china" or "fine ____ china" does that mean no bone?

3. Is non-bone china automatically not as nice? I mean, is it all or nothing, or is there something that is just as nice but bone-free? Or should we just get some corelle plates from Marshalls?

Thanks!

RZ

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=20&f=1534

bonyplate.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The main reason for opting for bone china is that it is a lot less breakable than porcelain or earthernware and looks a lot more delicate.

You will also find more choice in ''fine china'' type patterns than you will with porcelain which tends to have more of an everyday feel.

I don''t know if you have them in the US, but I think Denby does a very nice white porcelain service.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Porcelain is just clay, not bone. It isn''t as strong as bone china, but that doesn''t mean it can''t be just as nice. You just have to be more careful with it. I understand your viewpoint though, so look for something you like in porcelain. I think C&B carries porcelain. Just get a few extra pieces and make sure it is open stock because it is more likely to chip... doesn''t mean it has to, but it is slightly less durable.

We have stoneware for our everyday dishes and my DH chipped a mug within a week of having it because he''s prone to dropping stuff into the sink rather than placing it. I tossed the mug in the trash and he "got" it. Has been much more careful since then.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Great - I will try to look for porecelin fine china and be gentle with it =)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm. You know I looked into some differences about dishes.

Porcelain is grayer than bone china. Less durable than bone, but more durable than...??

And then there is stoneware and earthenware. One of those two is REALLY durable. And one chips when you look at it funny. I THINK earthenware is the durable one. Let me check. FMIL has some that just WON'T DIE. It's amazing how durable that stuff is.

Here you go:
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/Assistance/About/AboutDinnerware.aspx

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/porcelain/dinnerware/1

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=30&f=23053

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
haha, that IS pretty gross to think about ox bones in your dinnerware, even if you do eat meat!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
I am nuts for finding the most durable options for anything that I purchase (I have made many mistakes however
20.gif
). I can understand your concern rockzilla.

Actually when something is stamped "fine china" it can mean porcelain or bone china. The best way to make sure is to ask the maker directly. I was at Bed Bath & Beyond and I noticed that the Waterford Baron''s Court pattern I chose was stamped "fine china" but some other Waterford patterns were stamped "fine bone china" and they were the same price. I asked the registry lady and she explained that "fine china" is an umbrella term for both bone china and extremely high fired porcelain (which makes it almost as durable as bone china). I called Waterford and they confirmed the difference. The rep also explained that the older Waterford patterns are all stamped "fine china" but the newer patterns get different stamps that distinguish the porcelain from the bone china.

Please allow me to rave a little more for porcelain.
5.gif
I just think it is overshadowed by the demand for bone china. While it is true that some porcelain pieces are noticably heavier, more opaque, and less durable than bone china, I have also picked up many pieces of high quality porcelain that are just as transparent as bone china (you can see your hand behind the plate if you hold it up to the light), just as delicate-feeling, and since it is subjected to such a high degree of heat in its production, it is very close to bone china in durability.

Anyway, I loved that White Pearl set from C&B too. I had a hard time finding something that I liked as much. I have some porcelain bowls from C&B that are chipped.
15.gif
But if you like White Pearl, you should take a look at a porcelain set also from C&B called Tamiko. It has a very nice raised "pearl" texture. I cannot attest for its durabilty yet, because it''s still on my registry!

Tamiko_CB.jpg

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone - after quite a bit of research, I think we will end up going with Noritake - they have pretty extensive porcelin china collections, and it is clearly stated on their site which is which (something I can''t say for many of the other brands)

A few I want to check out in person:

Agean mist

agean mist.jpg

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
aria platinum

ariaplatinum.jpg

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
centura blue

centurablue.jpg

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Clarenton

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Last one - Cameroon sand

cameroonsand.jpg

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the clarenton

clarenton.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results