shape
carat
color
clarity

Chicago PS'ers - Where do you shop for precision cut gems???

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
Hi again all. This will be my last new thread for a while - I promise!

So I've been to Chicago's diamond district many times. But as far as I know (and I've asked around) there are no longer dedicated colored gem stores/booths. A vendor told me this is because "Midwesterners tend to stick to diamonds". Of course most diamond vendors also have a small supply of colored stone jewelry, but nothing that I've wanted to purchase.

I've also been to the Chicago Intergem shows, but couldn't find many precision-cut stones. Maybe this isn't news to most PS'ers.

So I'm wondering where you shop in the Chicago area or at least window-shop, for IRL examples that won't break the bank? The Mag Mile shops are fun, but too pricey for me, and I feel I'm getting those "Pretty Woman" disdainful glares-lol! Maybe I'll just have to wait until I make it back to LA or NY (Is one district better than the other for colored gems? Is there another good jewelry district in the US I'm not thinking of?). Ahh, First World "problems".

As a side note, I'll be going to Vienna soon and one of the oldest museums in the world, the Dorotheum, is also an auction house. And everything on display in the museum can be purchased, including the gems/jewelry. So that should be fun, but I'm guessing it's mostly high-end.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for your input! :)

voce

Ideal_Rock
Have you ever been to this business? https://filigreeroom.com/about-us

They're also mydiamondzone on Ebay and Ivy and Rose Vintage on Etsy. They sell fairly affordable stuff, including colored gemstones, that I think might be within your budget range. If you look at their ready-to-wear, they have things like 1 ct round blue sapphire with a diamond halo for something like $725. I would like to see it in person before buying, but lucky you, you can book an appointment and go there!

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
Thanks voce. I recently popped in there while in the diamond district. But the sales lady was busy with a couple who had an appointment so I didn't stay too long. I think most of their stock must be in back, because it isn't a big showroom. I was expecting a larger, fancier place based on their fabulous website. Then again, it's in a very old district building and none of the shops are fancy! The sales lady I briefly spoke with (Sarah?) was very nice. Very pretty, affordable jewelry, but most of the settings I saw were on the dainty side for my size 9 finger. If I had smaller fingers I would probably buy one of their settings. I didn't get a chance to see their loose stones but I might call for an appointment in the future. I think they have a good return policy, so it might be worth buying from them sight-unseen to save some $$$.

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I shop online although I have a couple smaller gems I might set into an Ivy Rose setting & since I’m in the area I might make an appointment to see the settings first. Sorry I’m not much help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results