shape
carat
color
clarity

Check your fire extinguishers!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Check your fire extinguishers for a recall.
If they are over 6-7 years+ old consider discharging them as practice for your family and replace them even if they are not recalled.
Check the gauge on any of them to make sure they are in the full zone and gently shake them a bit.

There was a small fire at our building and wifey went to put it out and the extinguisher would not discharge.
A neighbor got it to discharge and put the fire out.
Turns out it was one that was covered by the recall which I dont recall ever seeing notice of before.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In spite of the recall kidde is still a very good brand.
Just make sure it says metal valve its a good one.
Generally a 2.5lb is ok for the kitchen and a 5lb or 10lb for all around use.
I now have a 3lb for the kitchen and am getting a 10lb for the hall closet when i get my covid check. ABC rating is the right one for the home.

Last edited:

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Good info Karl, and a good reminder about the importance of owning a fire extinguisher! Glad your wife was there and the neighbor got the extinguisher to work! I purchased mine when I closed on my house 2 years ago so it is not part of the recall. This is also a good reminder that everyone should have a fire extinguisher in their home. Small cost for protection.

Also, to add, smoke detectors and CO detectors have expiration dates as well and generally should be replaced every 10 years. And they are useless if the batteries are dead!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Also, to add, smoke detectors and CO detectors have expiration dates as well and generally should be replaced every 10 years. And they are useless if the batteries are dead!
Yes! please check them also.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good info Karl, and a good reminder about the importance of owning a fire extinguisher! Glad your wife was there and the neighbor got the extinguisher to work! I purchased mine when I closed on my house 2 years ago so it is not part of the recall. This is also a good reminder that everyone should have a fire extinguisher in their home. Small cost for protection.
Agree 100% under $25 for a 2.5lb and under $100 for a 10lb lasts 6 years or so is money well spent.
Use the old ones to train your family to use them.
You can also check and see how much the 10lb are to refill in your area.
Here they are lot more to refill than a new one for dry chemical ABC.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good to know! Scary about yours not working for a fire. That had to be awful for Wifey!
I'll check both of ours tomorrow.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Someone asked me elsewhere how many extinguishers they should have for their home.

The kitchen is the area of the majority of fires so that is the most important one.
After reading that I'm getting a few more.

The most important thing is get everyone up and heading out and call 911 or have someone call 911 before trying to fight a fire yourself.
Even a small fire that you put out should be looked at by the fire department to check for hot spots that may reignite.
Training everyone by running fire drills is a good idea if you have kids.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results