shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Check out my Lemony Oval 2-tone 3-stone ring

Discussion in 'Show Me the Bling! (Rings,Earrings,Jewelry)' started by HNGN, Jul 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. HNGN
    Rough_Rock

by HNGN » Jul 19, 2019
    Wow that's a long title... with just about almost every combination. :lol-2:

Background story: Chose my own diamond (with a deadline given from my bf). Back to the jeweler whom I have been working with for almost a decade.
    Was Supposed: Wanted to find a RB above J color and upon calling in couple of diamonds, looking at the IS & ASET picture in which I'd already called that a "great stone", my jeweler stop me from buying them. In short, he is much stricter than me in terms of the quality of the stones he is going to sell me.

Long story short, we went back and forth for months and I was almost late for deadline that my bf gave me. Constant calls to my bestie who gave me great advises on whether should I change to other fancy shapes, colors, clarity etc? She is the best, she knows me so well that every time after each call, I am "enlightened". LOL!!
    Anyways, I changed the specification to either Oval or Radiant with the carat weight I wanted and to go as yellowish as possible.

My Jeweler came to me with 2 options: 1 Radiant and 1 Oval A (with Videos & GIA & specs). My heart sang towards the Radiant.
    However, when he tried to call in the stone, the Radiant is no longer available (sad but is okay, always the next time :lol:).
    The Oval A was already with him all along.

So we spoken on the very same day after:
    Him: "So I have one good news and one bad news"
    I am like "okay my radiant is gone?" (Because I already told him I prefer the radiant over the oval from the videos.)
    Him: "Yeah BUT I got you something even better (Oval B), hold on, sending you the ASET & IS right away."
    Me: "Okay I received" (but I didn't feel anything about the 5 professional pictures he sent, because previously I was always look on RB and their ASET image are BRILLIANT and I know nuts about Fancy shapes ASET criteria at all).
    Him: (suddenly switch to video call and show me the diamond on his finger and the diamond itself. Although the resolution of VC is not good but I trusted this Jeweler so much especially over the last decade, I have purchased so many diamonds from him, all RB actually).
    Him: "IT IS BEAaaa-UUTTTTI-FFULLL" (This phrase really wins me over. Why? Because all the ideal rounds we have seen previously were all rejected by him... Previously he said "I like it, but I don't love it." :shock: Thus you can only imagine how much his affirmation on a diamond that is BEAUTIFUL was important to me.)

D.jpg

Made my decision within 5 minutes, paid and then work on the settings with him (those he already have on hand that fits my diamond). I wanted a simple setting where maybe some pave diamonds on the basket or what. But he only has 2 settings (both were 3 stones) which are quite not my style. But anyways due to the deadline, I really have not much choice, I go with the simpler 3-stone ring vs the other more flamboyant one. :angel:

The process was really like a roller coaster... It started with excitements and then frustrations (when stones kept being rejected) and then uncertainty and then anxiety to the END RESULT. I don't regret! In fact I am SURPRISED NOW that I got something completely different from what I was expecting. Thus there is a tint of surprise in it although I am choosing everything myself :cool2:

From wanting a RB above J to an Oval that is Yellowish
    From wanting a simple 1 stone style of Ering to a 3 stone ring (Oval Center with side Trilliants)
    From wanting entire WG to 2 tone (Yellow Gold and Platinum and what I love love love EAGLE CLAW PRONGS)

May I present ....................................... my lemony (excuse my ugly finger, okay this ring is technically not mine yet, got to pass to my BF and WAIT :P2):
    D handshot.jpg
    D Oval n Round.jpg
    D Bvlgari Serpenti.jpg
    D CDC.jpg
    D ChaineDAncre n Round.jpg
    D compared w Pendant.jpg
    D Berline1.jpg
    D Berline.jpg
    D Berline2.jpg

Acinom, RosieR, Fabulous50 and 33 others like this.

2. HNGN
    Rough_Rock

by HNGN » Jul 19, 2019
    Kindly excuse the crazy pairing with bags, am a bag person!! :kiss2::kiss2:

D Blue Atoll.jpg
    D Blue Atoll1.jpg
    D Blue Atoll2.jpg
    D KP.jpg
    D KP1.jpg
    D KP2.jpg
    D KP3.jpg

Some oval knowledge to share (okay only learnt about all these after the purchase, doesn't matter :read:)**edited by moderator, no links to affiliate sites please**

- In practice you will find that the terms oval brilliant cut and oval modified brilliant cut are used interchangeably. However, if the certificate states specifically that the diamond is an oval brilliant, you will know for sure that there have been no modifications made to the facet arrangement such as extra facets being added to the pavilion.
    There are four standard variations of the oval brilliant cut including two 8-main variations, a 6-main variation, and also a 4-main variation. Both the 6-main and 4-main ovals only has 56-facets.

- Fewer pavilion mains means the diamond is likely to have bigger and bolder flashes of fire due to fewer but larger virtual facets. The opposite is true and you will get more but smaller pin-flashes of fire in an oval with 8 pavilion mains.

- If you’re looking to minimize the effects of a bow tie, you may have been confused if you tried researching this topic in the past because there are conflicting opinions on how to do this. Some experts say that to minimize the bow tie you should aim for a shallower diamond, others say the effect will be less with a steeper stone. In fact, both camps are actually correct, with clarification needed.

You can minimize the bow tie with either a very shallow diamond or a very deep diamond. However, there will be trade-offs on either option. If we take the starting point that an oval has the same depth as an ideal round, then an oval will be shallower nearer to the ends. The reason is because the angles near the belly of the diamond are at its steepest.

If you cut an oval that is shallow enough to not have a visible bow tie at the belly, then the oval will be too shallow at the ends and what you will get is a flat looking stone. 6 and 4-main ovals have less of this problem because there are no pavilion facets at the ends. Lower girdle facets are steeper than pavilion facets so you get less flatness, but at the same time you lose the structured contrast pattern that the pavilion main offers.

The tricky part is that as you go shallower from the ideal depth of a round, you actually go through a range of pavilion angles where the bow tie is worse before it gets better.

Hope it helps all the other OVAL lovers :love::love::love:
    Regardless; find a trustworthy vendor who know his stuff, I did and I am HAPPY.
    Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2019
    Acinom, RosieR, quaddio and 11 others like this.
  3. MakingTheGrade
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by MakingTheGrade » Jul 19, 2019
    It’s gorgeous! Looks bright and refreshing and oh so blingy!
    Love the bracelets too ;-)

Ceilimom likes this.
  4. Alex T
    Ideal_Rock

by Alex T » Jul 19, 2019
    Oh wow! This is just absolutely beautiful! How exciting it must be now, waiting for the proposal!

Ceilimom likes this.

5. lknvrb4
    Ideal_Rock

by lknvrb4 » Jul 19, 2019
    I love this.:love:

6. missy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by missy » Jul 19, 2019
    Lemonlicious :kiss2:

7. yennyfire
    Ideal_Rock

by yennyfire » Jul 19, 2019
    It’s like a ball of sunshine! Hope you don’t have to wait too long to wear it permanently!

8. Madam Bijoux
    Ideal_Rock

by Madam Bijoux » Jul 19, 2019
    Love your oval’s proportions:appl: It’s a perfect companion for your Hermes goodies and your watch.

9. gregchang35
    Ideal_Rock

by gregchang35 » Jul 19, 2019
    well done! now... the wait begins on your part! LOL.

10. scouty
    Shiny_Rock

by scouty » Jul 19, 2019
    Love anything yellow! Looks gorgeous on your hand. I also have a yellow oval but much smaller than yours! Good luck waiting ;)2

Ceilimom likes this.

11. sarahb
    Brilliant_Rock

by sarahb » Jul 19, 2019
    Oh I love that diamond! The color especially, it is perfect...is it a yellow diamond, or is it a N-O P etc lower colored diamond? That color though..dreamy...& your setting suits it to a T!! :love::love: Congrats!

Ceilimom likes this.
  12. marymm
    Ideal_Rock

by marymm » Jul 19, 2019
    Stunning! Elegant! Covetable! Wear with Joy!

13. motownmama
    Ideal_Rock

by motownmama » Jul 19, 2019
    I LOVE IT! HUGE, but very classy!!!!!!!

14. tyty333
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by tyty333 » Jul 19, 2019
    Congratulations! It looks beautiful on you!

15. whitewave
    Ideal_Rock

by whitewave » Jul 19, 2019
    I love the color!! :love: Beautiful ring

Starfacet likes this.

16. lovedogs
    Ideal_Rock

by lovedogs » Jul 19, 2019
    Very pretty!!!

17. Diamond Girl 21
    Shiny_Rock

by Diamond Girl 21 » Jul 19, 2019
    Very pretty! Come back and give us details of the proposal.

18. Starfacet
    Brilliant_Rock

by Starfacet » Jul 19, 2019
    Stunning!! I've always loved trilliants!!

19. elizabethess
    Shiny_Rock

by elizabethess » Jul 19, 2019
    Such a happy looking ring! Looks beautiful on you :) Hope the wait isn't long.

Seconding the requests for more info on color (is it yellow or lower letters?), etc!

20. D&T
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by D&T » Jul 19, 2019
    Gorgeous ring, so classy and outstanding... Could you provide more details? size, dimensions of the center and your finger size. We love extra details and helps others for proportions.

21. MissGotRocks
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by MissGotRocks » Jul 19, 2019
    Beautiful - I really like the light lemon color! Enjoy your new ring!

22. PriceScopeKayti
    Rough_Rock

23. HNGN
    Rough_Rock

by HNGN » Jul 20, 2019
    @MakingTheGrade thank you so much for your kind comment!! :) It really sparkle alot IRL. :mrgreen2:

@Alex T awww you are so nice.... Thank you!! Yes I am happy I chose my own ring and am anticipating the upcoming one... :twisted2:

@lknvrb4 thank you for loving it... :saint: I certainly do. :)

@missy you created an even better name!! :) :wavey:

@yennyfire Awwwww you are so nice!! Maybe I should copy & paste your comment to send to my bf "hint hint" :wink2: Hahahahaha just joking, as I'd like him to have full command on how he want it to be.
    @Madam Bijoux hello hello!! Thank you for your kind words... Yes indeed, the Oval's proportion ratio were 1.49... Actually I prefer a fatter Oval like maybe in the 1.35-1.4 range but I trust Yekutiel when he said something is beautiful. It really is IRL. ;)2

@gregchang35 awwww thank you... Definitely I will "try" my very best to be patient. :dance:

@scouty omg you have a yellow oval, I am sure it is TDF!!! Mine is not a real Yellow Yellow one... I actually wanted something even yellower like W-X, Y-Z, FLY range (personally prefer those range, I don't like those super yellow like the Vivid, Vivid Deep range). However due to the deadline, and my last minute change in specification, I got this one instead. Love it the same :love::love: the color chameleon at different angles!!! I got a deal!! Hahaha as though I have 2 diamond with 1 price!

@sarahb woohoo!!! Great eye!! Yes it is a N color in which the alphabet hold something special dear to my heart. Everything are so coincidental and they matches the entire episode perfectly. I am grateful.... =)2

@marymm you are so kind with your words. Thank you so so much :mrgreen:

@motownmama awwww so nice of you!!! I think it didn't look as huge as I wanted it but THE BF said it looks huge... So..... :lol-2::lol-2:

@tyty333 thank you so much.... :wink2: Yeah.... It is BEAU.....TI.....FUL... Hahahahaha I sound like a promoter for my own ring.

@whitewave thank you so much.. Love the color too. It changes at every angle.

@lovedogs thank you so much for dropping by.... :kiss2:

@Diamond Girl 21 hello hello.... Thank you, thank you!!! I sure will if the proposal occurs not very far away.... :twisted:

@Starfacet awwwww really? It is amazing how trillions slim the finger on a 3 stone setting. :))

@elizabethess yes indeed. HAPPY HAPPY.... Thank you so much.... Definitely hope the wait ain't toooooooooo long.... It is an N color... Specs below....

@D&T awwwwww your words are so kind.... Specs are below... I love your ring too!!! BEAU....TIIII...FULLLL

@MissGotRocks yeah yeah ;)2;)2 *wink* you got it... Lemony lemony :razz:

@PriceScopeKayti awwwwwwww so kind of you Kayti... Thank you so much!! :love::love:

Without further ado... Specs are:
    Oval Brilliant (8-main variations)
    - 3.01ct, N, VS1, EX/EX (the color alphabet meant something special to me, hence very coincidental (in a good way)!!!
    - 12.06 x 8.09 x 4.50mm
    - Ratio: 1.49
    - Table 63%, Depth 55.6%
    - Finger size: US3.75
    - Ring: YG & Platinum, 2 side trilliants add up to 0.3ctw.
    I look it up using my own ASET scope and IS Scope and the IS 10x loup, PREEEEETTTTTYYYY. As Yekutiel always said "crisp & clear"....

"You can minimize the bow tie with either a very shallow diamond or a very deep diamond."
    "The tricky part is that as you go shallower from the ideal depth of a round, you actually go through a range of pavilion angles where the bow tie is worse before it gets better."

- I believe my Oval version was the "very shallow diamond" case where "it already gets better"

Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 12.42.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 12.42.34 PM.png

Hope the specs help. BIG THANKS to all the kind comments!! You guys rock!!! PS is such a great community!! Keep it up!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

RosieR, sarahb, Tekate and 3 others like this.
  24. Bron357
    Ideal_Rock

by Bron357 » Jul 20, 2019
    It’s absolutely beautiful and really special. I love the pale lemon tone, the side stones and it’s balanced size. Ovals look so elegant especially on lovely fingers like yours. You will be getting many compliments once it’s “officially” yours.

25. Cristallo
    Rough_Rock

by Cristallo » Jul 20, 2019
    What a beautiful and unique oval. The setting is so elegant and timeless.

Tekate likes this.
  26. mrs-b
    Ideal_Rock

by mrs-b » Jul 20, 2019
    Congratulations on your lovely new ring. :)) And - I love a good setting - and that is a very, VERY good setting!

27. diamondseeker2006
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by diamondseeker2006 » Jul 20, 2019
    What a gorgeous ring!!!:love::appl: You made an excellent choice, and you have a VERY smart fiance to let YOU pick out the diamond and ring! If only all men understood this!

I also have an O color and a Y-Z color diamond. I really love the light yellow range! I like your other jewelry pieces, as well!

Welcome to PS!

(If you don't mind me asking, what size is your pendant stone? I am planning to get a solitaire pendant soon and am deliberating about size. Yours is lovely!)

28. D&T
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by D&T » Jul 20, 2019
    Amazing! specs, I never would have thought of an N to look so warm and lemony, I had a w-x with a radiant style cut so there was no bow tie, had the crushed Ice look and loved it and boy was it yellow, but its now rehomed to a lovely couple. The size is huge and your fingers are so tiny!. What an amazing ring. Congrats on a wonderful make and classic setting and all. Wonderful cost effective way to reach a 'yellow' that most people would not think of or are apprehensive about it. You did very well. Glad Yekutiel was able to find this dreamy stone for you!

Congrats on the JOTW!:appl:

HNGN likes this.
  29. HNGN
    Rough_Rock

by HNGN » Jul 20, 2019
    Hello @Bron357 thank you so much for your kind words.... Especially for my short and ugly fingers.. hahahaha but yeah definitely anticipating it to be "officially mine".. ;)2

Hihi @Cristallo thank you for the lovely comments. Glad to know that you think of it as being "elegant & timeless", definitely hope it will remain that way... :D

Aloha @mrs-b awwww thank you so much, you're so nice... Thankfully to all of you lovely PS'er very kind comments, I think starting to like my 3-stone ring more and more now... You know how when everybody likes it, you tend to "like it more"?? Hahahahaha :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    hello hello @diamondseeker2006 awwwwww you are so kind and nice!!! Thank you so much for acknowledging that my fiancé is smart! LOL. Or rather he knows me too well that IF I have a too high expectation for diamond quality (well you know the PS Standards)... Have been a PS'er since 2009 so I am happy to see so many of the familiar names back then (but I lose my ID & PW, can't remember, hence starting it all over again as a Rough Rock :lol:) You guys are the PS OG!! And it is so important to have you guys here always... You, @D&T, @missy, @yennyfire, @Madam Bijoux, @tyty333, are some of the OG i remembered..... those were the days..... :cool2::cool2: so happy to reconnect here and am super happy to know you guys are still here stronger than ever!! Proud of you guys.
    I love a Y-Z colour diamond, envying that you have one...

Sure about my pendant!!! Guess what!!? It is a 2.05ct O-P color also from Yekutiel like 8years ago. RB do mask color better as it looks whiter face up (see the ring is N and Pendant is O-P but pendant looks much "whiter"). And being just a simple pendant (I wear it daily, I don't remove it even during shower/sleep, oh mine mine everyone said it is HUGE and sparkly)... You won't regret getting a simple solitaire pendant. It looks so good with anything. I always pair it with Hermes 160cm Farandole or 90cm Chaine D'Ancre Game Chaine or even a PG DBTY..... You definitely need to show us when you got it!! =)2

@D&T arrrrrgh!!! You've got a W-X Radiant!!?? That was my kind of thing!!! Am sure the lovely couple is enjoying every moments of it now!! Green with Envy!! =)=)=)
    I definitely wish a more yellowish one if time is on my side. Unfortunately not the case. But is okay, N mean something special to me too.... :D
    Yeah!! Didn't even thought that I could make it to JOTW... PS is so kind!!

Let's wear our rings in good faith!! Okay mine after i received!! :love::love:

30. cushioncutnut
    Ideal_Rock

by cushioncutnut » Jul 20, 2019
    Just stunning! Trusting your jeweler paid off! Congratulations!