carat
color
clarity

Cheaper sources? Good or bad

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I am so glad you posted this. I have said that Jim McCormack, thats his name, posts high prices on loupe troop for , what I think of as people who are sitting ducks for some of these vendors.

Those people who have bought from him are happy with his stones. But some people wont buy from him on loupe troop because that forum was only meant to be for consumer to consumer sales and he post stones when he reads on here that someone may be looking for something that he has. His prices are too high on that forum. Make an offer and see what you get. His stones look pretty.

Annette

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are several stone vendors that source some of their stones from ebay and other online sources and then flip them for a profit, and I have seen this seller do so in the past. Its definitely not out of the question and the fingers do sort of match up, lol, but I don't see any matches. Are you sure the LT vendor is buying from this source?

index_finger

Rough_Rock
smitcompton|1478115827|4093014 said:
Hi,

I am so glad you posted this. I have said that Jim McCormack, thats his name, posts high prices on loupe troop for , what I think of as people who are sitting ducks for some of these vendors.

Those people who have bought from him are happy with his stones. But some people wont buy from him on loupe troop because that forum was only meant to be for consumer to consumer sales and he post stones when he reads on here that someone may be looking for something that he has. His prices are too high on that forum. Make an offer and see what you get. His stones look pretty.

Annette

That's interesting...Are there other sellers like Mr Jim?

https://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/2-dot-06-cts-purple-toda-rising-india-rhodolite-garnet-with-video
https://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/2-dot-10-cts-purple-toda-rising-india-rhodolite-garnet
These Indian garnets also look familiar :shock:
http://www.kashmirblue.com/Coloredstones/garnetrhodolite.html

I'm so excited to try the ebay one out! Will post my experience later!

index_finger

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1478119120|4093033 said:
There are several stone vendors that source some of their stones from ebay and other online sources and then flip them for a profit, and I have seen this seller do so in the past. Its definitely not out of the question and the fingers do sort of match up, lol, but I don't see any matches. Are you sure the LT vendor is buying from this source?

The fingers and the photo style, pretty evident to me? :read: :confused:

my_pinkk_spinel_1_90_cts.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What bugs me, as Annette mentioned, is that as I type this 8 of the 20 listings on the front page of LT are this commercial seller's. That's 20% of the items on a site that was most certainly not meant for those in the trade. :rolleyes: :nono:

index_finger

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1478120474|4093043 said:
What bugs me, as Annette mentioned, is that as I type this 8 of the 20 listings on the front page of LT are this commercial seller's. That's 20% of the items on a site that was most certainly not meant for those in the trade. :rolleyes: :nono:

That's 40% ?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
index_finger|1478120910|4093045 said:

That's 40% ?

Why yes indeed, it is 40%! Quite asleep at the wheel, ha ha!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think this is an issue that flares up from time to time, half of this thread is devoted to it too:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jason-brims-facebook-auctions.189738/

It must take them a lot of time to trawl the web for these stones so I am not so upset about the markup (when reasonable). However I have issues with the fact that if they willy nilly buy ebay stones then I don't trust their supplier. And therefore I can't trust that what they are selling is acurately repreaented.

index_finger

Rough_Rock
qubitasaurus said:
I think this is an issue that flares up from time to time, half of this thread is devoted to it too:

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">ht.../jason-brims-facebook-auctions.189738/</span>

It must take them a lot of time to trawl the web for these stones so I am not so upset about the markup (when reasonable). However I have issues with the fact that if they willy nilly buy ebay stones then I don't trust their supplier. And therefore I can't trust that what they are selling is acurately repreaented.

I see no difference buying from ebay or him. If they are using other people's photo, I assume they won't test their stones either.
3-4 times of price increase isn't reasonable to me.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
index_finger|1478187730|4093265 said:
qubitasaurus said:

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">ht.../jason-brims-facebook-auctions.189738/</span>

I see no difference buying from ebay or him. If they are using other people's photo, I assume they won't test their stones either.
3-4 times of price increase isn't reasonable to me.

The way I look at the accuracy concern is this- Jim takes a risk when he buys a stone from overseas on Ebay. He tests the stones and sometimes has them re-cut. He then sells them with great return policy. He guarantees a full refund at any time for a stone that is not genuine. With that said- it is always a good idea with any significant gemstone purchase to send that stone to a reputable lab for a report.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think this is the point, in the linked thread the person flipping the stone never paid the ebay vendor for it. Thus they could not have even seen the stone with their own eyes before reselling it. Thus when buying from this individual you are effectivley unilaterally trusting an un-named ebay seller.

Markup is relative, I guess it matters how much you value your time. I am not sure I can see the point in debating what is reasonable and what is not.

qubitasaurus|1478228059|4093522 said:
I think this is the point, in the linked thread the person flipping the stone never paid the ebay vendor for it. Thus they could not have even seen the stone with their own eyes before reselling it.

Forgive me but I don't understand. Why do you think the ebay vendor didn't get paid? Just trying to follow the argument.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
normanintheskywithsapphires|1478260814|4093594 said:
qubitasaurus|1478228059|4093522 said:
I think this is the point, in the linked thread the person flipping the stone never paid the ebay vendor for it. Thus they could not have even seen the stone with their own eyes before reselling it.

Forgive me but I don't understand. Why do you think the ebay vendor didn't get paid? Just trying to follow the argument.

You are better off reading the thread linked above, it has a very clear statement. The post you are looking for is about 1/2 way down the thread -- it says a sapphire was sold by on ebay for 3000. A vendor tried to flip the stone for 8000 (the stone did not sell). Eventually the ebay store relisted the stone -- the ebay store said they had never been paid.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Tell me if you can, who is making the videos.? Jim or the ebay dealer.

Now, Jim may have an arrangement with the ebay dealer whereby he pays the ebay seller after he sells the stone. How long does it take Jim to get you, the buyer, the stone? Jason Brim buys stones from dealers and if he doesn't sell them within them the return time he sends them back to the original seller.(at least he use to). So no money lost.

Annette

index_finger

Rough_Rock
LisaRN said:
qubitasaurus said:

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked"><s...en zircon for two hundred something and $900?

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
I've started buying from some overseas eBay sellers I have come to trust. I usually start with something inexpensive that isn't treatable like a spinel or a garnet. It helps me to be able to read them vendors' pictures.

Eta. It's not for everyone but I have fun doing it

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
index_finger|1478274787|4093675 said:
LisaRN said:
qubitasaurus said:

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked"><s...ng about them makes me want another one. Lol!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A benefit for a US buyer to buy from a US-based seller is that if there is issues, it is easy to send it back for your refund. Shipping back to Thailand (or overseas) is nerve wracking. There is no tracking and most vendors tell you to write "sample" on the paperwork.

If you know what you are doing, then it benefits to buy directly from eBay. If you aren't sure, then be prepared for a total loss because there are more junk than good stuff on eBay. Even experienced vendors have made mistakes, but good ones will correct any issues to your satisfaction.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1478273246|4093666 said:
Hi,

Tell me if you can, who is making the videos.? Jim or the ebay dealer.

Now, Jim may have an arrangement with the ebay dealer whereby he pays the ebay seller after he sells the stone. How long does it take Jim to get you, the buyer, the stone? Jason Brim buys stones from dealers and if he doesn't sell them within them the return time he sends them back to the original seller.(at least he use to). So no money lost.

Annette

Honestly the only way to ever be sure is to ask either the ebay seller or the vendor. Anything else is just conjecture (I am so impressed with the pricescoper in the other thread-- as she asked rather than assuming.).

I tend to agree with others that if you are lucky enough to live in the US then the fact that the vendor is local and has a good returns policy adds considerable value to the purchase. I would love to have this luxury -- it would make purchasing stones a lot less stressful. It is sort of like buying plain tickets which are fully refundable, it costs a lot more but I have done it 5 out of 7 trips this year as it saves so much stress.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono said:
A benefit for a US buyer to buy from a US-based seller is that if there is issues, it is easy to send it back for your refund. Shipping back to Thailand (or overseas) is nerve wracking. There is no tracking and most vendors tell you to write "sample" on the paperwork.

If you know what you are doing, then it benefits to buy directly from eBay. If you aren't sure, then be prepared for a total loss because there are more junk than good stuff on eBay. Even experienced vendors have made mistakes, but good ones will correct any issues to your satisfaction.

I have returned at least several dozens of stones to Thailand over the years. I have never lost one stone. Knock Knock Knock. And it is trackable on Thailand post website once it enters Thailand. You just have to switch the website language to English, and done.
https://track.thailandpost.co.th/tracking/default.aspx

Venti25

Shiny_Rock
It is getting annoying shifting through vendor vs consumer sales. I really wish there was a way to filter.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results