shape
carat
color
clarity

Chatham Anyone? Alexandrite?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone have experience with Chatham alexandrite or any other Chatham stone for that matter? I have recently been interested in Alexandrite but don''t really need a natural. I just want a... more or less... fun ring and I was thinking that a 2ct Chatham Alexandrite with some smaller pear diamond side stones... or maybe a tension set Chatham alexandrite?

I''m just a little confused about this... there is a website: http://www.chathamcrystals.com/index.html and another: http://www.chatham.com/loosegems.html ... these are different companies, right? They both claim to have "synthetic"(I think that''s the right wording) stones but there is a huge price difference. Reasons? I think when people refer to Chatham they are speaking of www.chatham.com , right? Anyone want to clear this up for me??

A Chatham created stone is just like a natural in properties but is just grown in the lab rather than in nature... does anyone have any pictures of Chatham sapphires, alexandrites, rubies, or emeralds? I''d really love to see them!

Any other info about this company or other companies which make similar products would be appreciated. I have focused in on Chatham simply because I''ve heard from numerous sources that they are the "best"... whatever that is worth!

Thanks again!!
9.gif

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
testing, testing...1...2...

Anyone?

I''ve done a bunch of searching and I think I''m going to try the chatham alexandrite but am not sure what shape. I think I''m going to get a smaller size(maybe 1.5ct) pear and have it set into a halo type setting... but an emerald cut looks tempting too.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Give All The Glitters a call.

There is information listed on their website that explains the differences between a simulant and a synthetic. They also sell synthetic Alexandrite that appears to form as a by-product of some chemical process. I''ve also seen Chatham stones and they are very beautiful.

However, I am of no help pricewise. I don''t know if ATT is price competitive or not. The quality of their products are quite impressive and they are honest but in my past dealings with them and shopping comparisons, I think they are a little pricier than other vendors. I''ve also heard that Chatham stones are pricier too but then perhaps it is because the quality is better? I''m not 100% sure.

Another note:
I''ve also heard that synthetic colour change stones do not change colours as impressively as the natural cc stones; meaning that there is a stronger tendency for the colours to bleed.

leggs

Shiny_Rock
I just recently found this website and was impressed with what people are saying about these fakes.Worth a look Chatham''s can be pricey for fake.
http://www.morioncompany.com/news_1.htm

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
I went to the All That Glitters site and their prices are actually a little higher than what I''ve found Chatham for. I don''t have a problem ordering and then returning if I''m not satisfied but I just can''t decide on a shape and size. Chatham has an overall good rep so I don''t think I''ll be disappointed.

When I do order and receive my stone I''ll be sure to post with my opinion and maybe a few pics.

Thanks!

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/1/2005 5:40:10 PM
Author:anovice
I''m just a little confused about this... there is a website: http://www.chathamcrystals.com/index.html and another: http://www.chatham.com/loosegems.html ... these are different companies, right? They both claim to have ''synthetic''(I think that''s the right wording) stones but there is a huge price difference. Reasons? I think when people refer to Chatham they are speaking of www.chatham.com , right? Anyone want to clear this up for me??

I don''t know the full story but based on what I''ve read and heard the two separate companies are operated by the now-deceased Carroll Chatham''s two sons, John and Tom. It sounds to me like a typical family squabble. I used to pass by the original fortress-like Chatham facility in South San Francisco often and I''ve chatted with Tom on many occasions. I have the impression he, very outgoing and affable, was mainly in charge of marketing for the original company while John was more of an "inside man," helping his Dad in the lab with production and research. They apparently split and I''m unable to give any assessment of how the two companies'' products compare.

True synthetic chrysoberyl var. alexandrite crystals (not doped flame fusion spinels and corundums often fraudulently sold by that name) were first grown by a U.S. company in Concord, CA in 1973. Later several firms internationally began marketing synthetic alexandrite made by a couple of processes. Much of the synhetic alex on today''s market, like Morion''s, is made in Russia. I think the "Nicholas" syn. alex marketed by Judith Osmer of Ramaura Ruby fame, is also Russian-made. There are lots of different "brands" nowadays and most look much like the best and most expensive natural alex.

In fact that''s usually a tip-off that a stone is synthetic: affordable natural alex''s are usually well under 1 ct., have obvious inclusions and don''t often have the dramatic 100% color change of gems that retail from $20,000 a carat and up -- way up!

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the info!

So, do we know which brother produces the chrysoberyl type and which produces the inferior corundum?

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi,

I deal only in natural colored gems and have no interest in synthetics of any kind except as to their impact on the natural gem trade. I was merely trying to answer your question about why there are two companies operating with the Chatham name. I thought I covered the product question when I wrote: "They apparently split and I''m unable to give any assessment of how the two companies'' products compare."

The only thing I do know for sure is that Tom''s synthetic diamonds are either produced in Russia or are made with High Pressure High Temperature (HPHT) machinery from Russia.

Both sites have contact addresses. Why don''t you email them and ask your questions directly?

Richard M.

Ymanda

Rough_Rock
About the synth Alex:

"Chatam" corundums became famous as obtained by the "flux" method (anhydre), but as Richard just said, they now operate many kind of synthetic growth processes including flame fusion and pulling.

So you can speak about "Chatam" synthetic Alex, but you may get people confused because Alexandrite is obtained only by the Pulling (Czochralski) method.

Tell me if I''m wrong...

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/8/2005 3:20:21 PM
Author: Ymanda

So you can speak about ''Chatam'' synthetic Alex, but you may get people confused because Alexandrite is obtained only by the Pulling (Czochralski) method.

Tell me if I''m wrong...

I''m not an expert, but I know that alexandrite has been synthesized by three different methods: flux-melt, Czochralski ''pulling,'' and the floating zone (or floating point) method first developed in Japan by Seiko. Morion Company is currently selling both ''pulled'' and ''floating point'' stones. For more details see O''Donoghue, pp. 150-152.

Ymanda

Rough_Rock
Thank you Richard for the biblio.

I knew for the floating point (which is a kind of fusion anyway), but I mean that the "Pulling" is the only one present on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results