shape
carat
color
clarity

Characteristics: crystal, cloud. What does it mean?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mingky

Rough_Rock
I''m looking to purchase a 0.87 ct round brilliant, e grade, vs2 clarity with "crystal, cloud" characteristics. medium blue fluorescence. The diamond price is $3,490.

My question is:
1. Is the fluorescence gonna make the diamond looks more brilliant or "cloudy"
2. What does characteristics of "crystal, cloud" mean? Does it mean it''s cloudy?
how does it compare to feather characteristics?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
None of those describe a 'cloudy' diamond to me
2.gif

Medium fluorescence will not "look" in any way unless the stone is under strong fluorescent lighting ('dark light', or club lighting, not a halogen tube), IMO.

And the inclusions in a vS2 are really small things, no matter what they are. "Could" describes a cluster of pinpoints, each to small to show any shape under 10X. "Crystal" is an inclusion large enough to show any shape at all under 10X - indeed another crystal (diamond or not) trapped inside the diamond. Given the VS2 grade, this is tiny, esp. since it is not the only inclusion. crystals can be colored, but that is not indicated on the cert.

read.gif
There is a descriptions of inclusion types (with pictures and all) on adiamondsisforever.com and you will find some samples of inclusions on THIS page and on the related Gallery of inclusions as well.

jesrush

Rough_Rock
Medium blue flourescence won't be noticed (I have one... you can't see it). And any VS2 is going to be eye-clean. Sounds like a promising stone! -J

mingky

Rough_Rock
thanks for your help... this site has been very useful to me... wish me luck with the ring... it's the ring that i'm buying for our engagement. it's super important.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/18/2004 3:26:05 AM mingky wrote:

... the ring it's super important.----------------

May I ask what are the cut specs of this stone? The price sounds like a good deal for an ideal round
1.gif

mingky

Rough_Rock
Length-to-Width 6.09 x 6.12 x 3.71
Proportions

Depth 60.8

Table 63

Girdle MD

Culet NON

Finish

Polish VG

Symmetry VG

So what do u think? is it a good deal?

rachelle

Rough_Rock
that sounds like allot of money for the size and quality. I am not a jeweler or your girlfriend but i would personaly give up a color grade or two and clarity to an si2 for a larger stone. For the money you are spending I would keep looking. Size does matter to most of us gals.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone has the size of a 0.8 cts nicely cut. The larger table accounts for the extra ten points and might also make this stone a nice ‘fish eye’ cut as well.

Meaning – this does not sound like the greatest deal by the numbers... There is some small chance that this actually is nicely brilliant (if and only if the pavilion angle happens to be between 40.5 and 41 degrees and the crown angle between 32-35 : not a very wide range that is). "Fish eye" is at leats as likely and relatively not so great optics really much more likely.

This stone is havier than it looks. A better cut one with the same other three Cs would most likely look better and cost the same. Starting to look for a 6mm diamond with proof of a good cut, there seem to be quite a few. There is no shortage of choices of either stones or sellers providing them with appropriate info.

Just my 0.2, of course.

... and an example of a slightly larger D/VS1 still no H&A but with more promissing proportions (LINK). Simmilar stones with some more cut pedigree show up on a search at Wink and GoodOldGold - so it may not be impossible to find an ideal cut to fit the bill after all. If you do choose to look for an eye clean SI1, than there are even more choices. But VS should work as well, as you can see.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
In case it wasn't entirely clear from Ana's post, fisheye is NOT a good thing!
2.gif

This stone will look smaller than it should for this carat weight. I'd say keep looking -do a search here at www.pricescope.com/sift.asp for well-cut diamonds- and ask questions. Maybe read the tutorial. Since you obviously consider this to be an important purchase for its significance, I'd really recommend taking a little extra time to learn a little more up front. I can't tell you how often I see posts here from people after they've bought the diamond, only to find it's not as nice as they had hoped!
sad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results