shape
carat
color
clarity

Chantilly Gem International

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone attended the Gem International in Chantilly (near D.C.)? I believe it is this weekend and I considered going but I was wondering: Will they have vintage rings? How are the prices? Do they sell loose gemstones?

plummiecat

Shiny_Rock
I went for the first time last December and was very disappointed. I visited all of the estate jewelers and found the prices to be very high and the quality not that great. I had heard good things here on PS about a vendor named Efim Gilin (booth 600) but they had nothing that interested me and the old man who worked there was borderline rude. They also had some earrings that caught my eye labelled VS1 but when I inspected them they were very included to the naked eye and most likely SI2 or lower. No one had loose old cut diamonds that I could find but there were lots of colored gemstones and modern cut diamonds. I went on Sunday morning and it was super crowded. I would advise going on Friday if you are able. I'm still considering whether or not I want to try again this weekend but I'm leaning towards not going.

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Plummie. I kind of suspected what you wrote. It's a pity though. I would love to find a large display of vintage jewlery and fair prices. I would be in heaven! Guess I will stay home and paint my bathroom. :cry:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd say it's worth checking out, even if just for the eye candy and old cut education. You have to really look, be patient, build rapport with the seller (if you're interested in something). I got my OMC earrings from Egim Gilin and I haven't seen anything quite like them (and close to the price I paid) since. That was an Intergem a year ago in the DC area. But last time I went I had a very specific goal in mind (I-J OEC in the 7mm+ range for a good price) and found absolutely nothing. I was out of there in 30 mins. But still, it's fun to go and look! Take your time and examine everything for yourself though, as Plummie said, things can be ... over-optimistically represented, to put it nicely. Usually the sellers know this and you can bargain down the price.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Why not check it out? There are hundreds of vendors, so yea you do have beads next to diamonds but it's a fun afternoon. Friday is definitely the quietest day. I do find the estate guys up front to be wildly overpriced, but if you really take the time to stroll you can find some very cool vendors- most of whom are more than happy to chat, pull things out for you to look at, etc.

Plus, I had two vendors I follow locally post on Facebook this week that they still have free passes available- even more worth checking out if you don't have to pay for tickets! I don't want to cross any lines or appear to be shilling for these guys, so if you can't find any free passes from vendors you know of, let me know and I'll post their facebook pages. :))

plummiecat

Shiny_Rock
Hi aviastar, I'm interested in a free pass.

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
Hmmmm. Free tickets are always enticing. I live 2.5 hours away but I have to be in Bowling Green for a funeral. Maybe I can check it out. I'd hate to miss something interesting...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results